The F1 Thread 2009 Season

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Even after 05?

I'm not so sure, could see Goodyear or Pirelli. Also I think Michelin said they weren't interested in being a sole supplier, they would only do it during a tyre war.

F-Red

It's a safe bet just because they've been in the sport before & im sure they'd want to make up for mistakes they've made before.

That said, knowing Ecclestone & his ransom demands it'll mostly depend on the amount they can pump into the sport, not the product.

Other news, Barrichello & Nico Hulkenberg announced as 2010 Williams drivers

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yea I saw that a minute ago, was pretty widely expected.

Hoping to hear some news re Raikkonen and McLaren soon.

Leg-End

It's an open goal for any tyre supplier, you get your tyres on race winning cars every single race. Would be nice to see Michelin back because they generally made excellent tyres during their time, a new tyre supplier would be a risk because of the lack of experience with the modern day tyre, although most would be able to handle it.

Barrichello to Williams was known about for ages, I fancy Hulk to give him a run for his money from the off.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The thing with the tyre manufacturer though is that Bridgestone are dropping out citing a lack of innovation and the freeze on developments in the sport - its the same reason BMW gave for leaving. Its not a good sign for the sport as a whole.

B Cantona

Desperate
The thing with the tyre manufacturer though is that Bridgestone are dropping out citing a lack of innovation and the freeze on developments in the sport - its the same reason BMW gave for leaving. Its not a good sign for the sport as a whole.
I wondered if it's not in reaction to the regulation changes? Running cars full to the brim with fuel means all the talk next year will be about the degradation of the tyres, not the greatest news for a tyre manufacturer I'd have though

F-Red

Thats what they want to say, realistically they're dropping out because they're down 42% on profits for the financial year.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I know many see Todt as a puppet for Mosley and his cronies, but I hope to hell that he breaks away from those arseholes and re introduces advancements in tech and new innovations to f1. This engine freeze and rev capping is bullshit.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I wondered if it's not in reaction to the regulation changes? Running cars full to the brim with fuel means all the talk next year will be about the degradation of the tyres, not the greatest news for a tyre manufacturer I'd have though
Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

Thats what they want to say, realistically they're dropping out because they're down 42% on profits for the financial year.
Possibly, but F1 has never been about making money for them - it was about advertisement and technology. The sport is no longer on the cutting edge of technology.

I know many see Todt as a puppet for Mosley and his cronies, but I hope to hell that he breaks away from those arseholes and re introduces advancements in tech and new innovations to f1. This engine freeze and rev capping is bullshit.
I'd love to be optimistic, but I just don't see it happening.

Leg-End

It would be no surprise, alot of money spent and not a single win. Refusing to confirm any driver signings raised the suspisions abit tbh. Looks like the remains of BMW might get a place after all.

Shame to see Toyota go though, their main failing was not signing a top class driver.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yup, I had kind of expected it before they were talking about trying to sign Raikkonen, not sure what they were playing at with that situation if the rumours are accurate.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Toyota has announced that it is to pull out of Formula 1 with immediate effect.

The Japanese car company revealed its surprise decision in a news conference in Tokyo today following an earlier board meeting. It said the current economic situation had prompted its departure.

"Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces it plans to withdraw from the FIA Formula 1 world championship at the end of the 2009 season," said a Toyota statement.

"TMC, which had viewed its participation in F1 as contributing to the prosperity of automotive culture, remained dedicated to competing at the pinnacle of motor sports even in the face of the abrupt economic changes that started last year.

"However, when considering TMC's motorsports actitives next year and beyond from a comprehensive mid-term viewpoint reflecting the current severe economic realities, TMC decided to withdraw from F1"

There had been doubts about Toyota's F1 future after the company reported its first ever operating loss in March, and given the departures of fellow manufacturers Honda and BMW. Toyota had also pulled its Fuji track, which hosted the 2007 and 2008 Japanese Grands Prix, from the calendar, and its customer team Williams decided to end its engine deal a year early.

But Toyota signed the new Concorde Agreement, committing it to the world championship through 2012, and team boss John Howett was adamant that the squad would be on the grid in 2010, although there were hints of a reduced budget.

The team had been pressing ahead with 2010 preparations - approaching big name drivers including Kimi Raikkonen and Robert Kubica, and talking of signing impressive stand-in Kamui Kobayashi for next year as recently as last weekend. Current drivers Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock had already been expected to move on.

"TMC also wants to express its heartfelt gratitude to all Panasonic Toyota Racing drivers to date and to all Toyota Motorsport GmbH employees who have helped make the team's achievements possible," said the statement.

"TMC intends to do its best to find a solution for those parties who will be affected by any inconvenience this decision may cause."

Toyota entered F1 in 2002, and was tipped to swiftly become a championship challenger given its huge budget and resources. But it failed to win a race and has just three pole positions, 13 podium finishes, and a best result of fourth in the 2005 constructors' standings to show for its 139 grands prix.

The departure of Toyota is set to throw the former BMW Sauber team a lifeline, as the Hinwil squad and its new owners had been relying on another team dropping out in order to claim the final spot in next season's expanded 26-car entry.

Renault is also holding an extraordinary board meeting to discuss its future plans today. Although the indications are that the French company is committed to F1, Toyota's decision to pull out could give Renault an opportunity to follow suit if it wished.

Toyota added that it would continue to use its F1 experience in "developing exciting production vehicles" and that it would remain involved in motor racing, albeit at a lower level.

"In motorsports, [Toyota] will not only race in various categories, but will also actively contribute to further development of motorsports by supporting grassroots races and planning events in which it is easy for people to participate."
autosport.com - F1 News: Toyota pulls out of Formula 1

B Cantona

Desperate
Hopefully that Renault part is a load of bollocks, because that would be very bad for F1, losing one of the best in the business

As for Toyota pulling out... it's been coming, and from a competitive racing point of view, it's no loss whatsoever. There will still be more cars on the grid next season

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Renault have just signed Kubica, can't see them leaving to be honest - maybe a cut in budget though.

F-Red

I hope if Renault go that they'll consider a ProDrive entry for next season, or the following one.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
They're not a big team in any way, though. BMW were a far bigger loss to the sport.
Depends how you look at it. From a fans point of view with regard to successful teams and records with results etc: no they're not. But from a sponsors point of view they are a huge corporation and them no longer being there will have an impact on the overall selling point of the sport.

People will talk about how F1 used to do a fine job without manufacturers but its a different game these days and if Renault drop out too (which the rumours are getting stronger about) then its an even bigger body blow. If the sponsors start to think the image of the sport is dwindling then they won't put their money in and that will only lead things one way.

I totally agree that BWM was a bigger loss by the way, but don't underestimate the impact of Toyota leaving.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Renault stay.

Shooting down speculation to the contrary, Renault's F1 managing director Jean-Francois Caubet insists a working budget for 2010 has been approved and the team will race in Formula One next year.

Following the announcement of Toyota's departure on Wednesday, the Renault board met in Paris, triggering reports that the French carmaker could be the next to quit F1.

But Caubet told the sports daily L'Equipe: "We have already contracted our drivers, had our budget approved and are enrolled in the world championship. Season 2010 has begun already.

He said Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn has also laid out his expectations for Renault's 2010 season; that the team "returns to a good level".

"We will not be world champions in 2010, but we do have hopes to be much improved," Caubet said.
F1 : Renault set to race on amid exit fears - RENAULT - F1-Live.com