The F1 Thread 2009 Season

F-Red

Oh and Kobayashi needs to stay in F1, Toyota or another team should look at him. He has the aggression & arrogance that F1 has been missing in years. Skill wise he doesn't actually look too bad as a driver considering the performance from him today.

He certainly creates more talking points, which can never be a bad thing!

Rooney1987

Oh and Kobayashi needs to stay in F1, Toyota or another team should look at him. He has the aggression & arrogance that F1 has been missing in years. Skill wise he doesn't actually look too bad as a driver considering the performance from him today.

True he does seems unfair to think that Nakajima has had seat all year.

This should be the last race of the year every year its had drama people in Abu Dhabi must have given Bernie a shit load of money.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Kobayashi does look good but he needs to quit moving around in the braking zones.

Hope to see him again next year though for sure.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Congrats Button, today is his day but overall a very poor year for F1.

Brawn has done remarkably well though, worthy champions after a flying start.

GloryHunter07

Agreed, did him self no harm, although he nearly caused others harm!

GloryHunter07

Congrats Button, today is his day but overall a very poor year for F1.

Brawn has done remarkably well though, worthy champions after a flying start.
Why? Beacause a big team didnt dominate? You couldnt predict the winner each weekend, every team had its ups and downs. Good season i thought.

Stemmy

I'm disappointed I missed most of this race as I heard it was a bit of a cracker.

Congratulations Button, a worthy champion....heard he had a stormer today too.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Why? Beacause a big team didnt dominate? You couldnt predict the winner each weekend, every team had its ups and downs. Good season i thought.
Yeah but the quality of racing was pretty poor after the promise of overtaking before this season. Many processions and not enough races with excitement. Hopefully the smaller teams will keep this up next year and maintain the level of competition we have, especially as McLaren and Ferrari (less sure about them) should bounce back.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Delighted for Button. Have always liked him as a driver. In my opinion, one of the least talented drivers to ever win the championship but a deserved win all the same.

Had a fantastic start to the season and has never looked like being caught since.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Alright then lads: Hamilton vs Button, next season... how about it?
Will very much depend on the development over the winter.

No denying Brawn had a massive advantage at the start of the season with the double diffuser and at the same time the Macca was a bit of a dog. McLaren have brought that car on in leaps and bounds, which is not a huge surprise considering they are probably the best team on the grid at in season development.

Martin Whitmarsh has recently commented on the 2010 car coming along very well, and Brawn have been fighting for the championships up until this weekend, so theres no doubt McLaren have a head start in developing next years car, as well as better resources. Brawn himself is an expert at exploiting regulations though, which will be an asset to his team of course.

Brawn will almost certainly get a tonne of sponsorship on the back of their achievements this year, WCC laurels and (if they keep Jenson) the number 1 on next years car, will certainly give them more money to play with, so whilst they may not stay as the top team they'll likely be in the mix.

I am looking forward to next year big time, even more so if Raikkonen gets the second McLaren seat, him and Hamilton vs Alonso and Massa should be intriguing.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Almost forgot about Kovi setting Kimi on fire!

Seems Kimi actually got petrol in his eye!

Kimi Raikkonen says his first-lap clash cost him the chance of finishing on the podium at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Raikkonen had a very troubled start to the race, first making contact with Adrian Sutil and later with Mark Webber when trying to pass the Australian.

The Ferrari man was forced to pit for repairs and was later involved in a bizarre incident with Heikki Kovalainen in the pitlane when the Finn tore off the fuel hose when leaving his pits.

The accident caused a big fire right in front of Raikkonen's car and got fuel into the Finn's eye.

Raikkonen recovered to sixth position, but reckoned a top three finish was possible.

"What happened on the first lap ruined my race," said Raikkonen. "First I was hit at the first corner, then when trying to pass Webber, I was hit and lost the front wing.

"At the pitstop, I ended up with some drops of petrol in my eye, from the fuel line stuck on Kovalainen's car and then I was engulfed in flames and blinded: I was going to stop, but luckily the flames soon went out.

"Even now, my eyes are still burning, but I'm alright. After the restart, I could only try and use the strategy to move up the order and at least I brought home a few points.

"I am disappointed because today I'm sure we could have made it to the podium. There is one race to go: let's see what we can do in Abu Dhabi to get back that third place.
It looks like the McLaren mechanic lifted the lollypop when he saw Raikkonen being released from his pitbox, rather than watching his own team and seeing that fuel was still going into Kovi's car. Bloody stupid!!

And in the pic below Kimi's car is in that flame somewhere!!!!

GloryHunter07

Yeah but the quality of racing was pretty poor after the promise of overtaking before this season. Many processions and not enough races with excitement. Hopefully the smaller teams will keep this up next year and maintain the level of competition we have, especially as McLaren and Ferrari (less sure about them) should bounce back.
Yeah ok thats fair enough. I think they have to look into this whole dirty air thing, really hinders overtaking IMO. If we get more races like yesterdays, ill be a happy bunny.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
With the 10th Brit winning the F1 it is clear us Brits are the best drivers on the planet. Explains why I am almost the only decent driver on the roads in Holland.

Leg-End

I think its got to do with the excellent lower formula's we have in this country, excellent karting circuits, great introductory open wheelers like Formula Ford and British F3 plus most graduate to Formula Renault and so on. Obviously countries have dry spells but usually Britain has atleast 1 young talent around at any one time, right now that guy is Lewis Hamilton and hes already a World Champion.

B Cantona

Desperate
Yeh I think Lewis is the faster driver. Albeit he's still relatively new to F1 and that bit more prone to mistakes. I think next years regulation changes will suit Jenson's smooth driving style though

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Difficult to say who is the faster really, they have such completely different driving styles so the exact same car wouldn't work for both of them and so each in a car working best for them could be argued the car is faster.

Jenson is a wonderfully smooth driver and his overtaking skills were impeccable this season, but Lewis has pretty damned good race craft too. I think considering the stage each are at with their career Lewis is better, but theres probably not THAT much between them when things are going right I don't think.

Leg-End

Lewis Hamilton has impeccable race craft, honestly havent seen a driver as clinical behind someone as him for a long time. Jenson this season has shown given the car he also has fantastic race craft, thats what won him the title this season.

With the rule changes next season I feel hesistant to say it but they are advantage to Button, if Brawn make a car thats up there then I feel he is going to be very hard to beat in race trim simply because he can look after the car better than most. Although we did say that when TC was banned and Honda built a dog of a car.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Lewis Hamilton edges it but Vettel is the fastest driver on the track, it would have been superb 2010 season if Vettel went to Ferrari. Vettel - Alonso vs Raikkonen - Hamilton vs Button

Leg-End

Have to agree on that, Vettel is vastly overrated by many. I mean the guy is obviously super talented and will be a serious threat every season but based on team mate and season results he isnt the fastest, the fact he only has 3 wins this season and all from pole tells me he hasnt utilised his car in every single race.

Honestly if you put an Alonso or a Raikkonen in that Red Bull and the last part of the season would have been win after win for them. Vettel will get alot better with experience though, especially if he improves his race craft.

GloryHunter07

Have to agree on that, Vettel is vastly overrated by many. I mean the guy is obviously super talented and will be a serious threat every season but based on team mate and season results he isnt the fastest, the fact he only has 3 wins this season and all from pole tells me he hasnt utilised his car in every single race.

Honestly if you put an Alonso or a Raikkonen in that Red Bull and the last part of the season would have been win after win for them. Vettel will get alot better with experience though, especially if he improves his race craft.
To be fair Vettel out performed Weber most of the season, was unlucky in Brazil. I doubt Alonso or Raikonnen wouldve done vastly better as that Red bull although fast, had its reliability issues.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Hamilton only won from pole in the whole of 2007 and his first win from not being on pole was Monaco 2008, so to be fair that statistic doesn't say a great deal on its own.

Vettel is a very very good driver and will only improve with experience. I agree with your comments about what Alonso or Raikkonen would have done with that car in the 2nd half of the season, but I definitely think he'll be a WDC in the future if he lands a winning car again.

Leg-End

Yeah I agree he definatly has the potential to become a World Champion. Hamilton winning from pole? Fair point, but still I dont think Vettel or Webber for that matter made enough of the potential that Red Bull car had this season, especially in the last 8 or so races.

Rooney1987

Hamilton only won from pole in the whole of 2007 and his first win from not being on pole was Monaco 2008, so to be fair that statistic doesn't say a great deal on its own.

Vettel is a very very good driver and will only improve with experience. I agree with your comments about what Alonso or Raikkonen would have done with that car in the 2nd half of the season, but I definitely think he'll be a WDC in the future if he lands a winning car again.
Wasn't it Kovalainen on pole at Silverstone were Lewis won in 08 I think .

Anyway I would bet my house Vettel wins a world title one day with Lewis around both are still in there early 20s both still got more to learn.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Wasn't it Kovalainen on pole at Silverstone were Lewis won in 08 I think .

Anyway I would bet my house Vettel wins a world title one day with Lewis around both are still in there early 20s both still got more to learn.
Yea but that was after Monaco.

Yeh I think Lewis is the faster driver. Albeit he's still relatively new to F1 and that bit more prone to mistakes. I think next years regulation changes will suit Jenson's smooth driving style though
Yeh. He seems able to manage his tyres better, and all that fuel is going to hurt the tyres, and I'd expect Hamilton to have real issues with this, he does already seem to have tyre degredation issues at time

You could see him perhaps having to stop an extra time than Button

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That will depend on the car and the tyre compounds too but yea Hamilton is naturally harder on his tyres than Button. He likes his car to oversteer and with his tendency to brake late he is prone to locking up his inside front.

It is something he has improved on without doubt but its still there. Will likely be something he works on in testing and in the simulator over the off season.

The more I think about next year the more I'm looking forward to it!