The F1 Thread 2009 Season

GloryHunter07

Kubica to join Renault for 2010

Renault have confirmed that Robert Kubica will join them for next season

The Pole, 24, will replace two-time Ferrari-bound world champion Fernando Alonso, the team said on Wednesday.

"I am highly motivated and optimistic that we can be at the front of the grid next year and hopefully fighting for the world title," said Kubica.

"He is one of the most naturally talented drivers of his generation and it is great to have him next season," added Renault team principal Bob Bell.

Kubica finished third in the 2008 drivers' championship in a season that saw him clinch his and the team's first race win at the Canadian Grand Prix.

But the Pole sits 14th this season for struggling BMW Sauber, whose future is uncertain after BMW announced in July they would quit F1 at the end of the season. Romain Grosjean, who replaced Nelson Piquet Jr, is currently Renault's second driver, though his own position has yet to be confirmed for next year.

"Renault has high ambitions and hopes for the future of the team and we feel that Robert can play a big role in fulfilling them," continued Bell.

"We are very excited to have signed Robert, ever since he made his Grand Prix debut in 2006, he has been on our radar."

Kubica added: "I share with Renault a strong winning mentality and feel comfortable with their friendly and open attitude.

"I am very happy I will be joining them for the 2010 season. I feel I have a special connection with this team because in 2005 I won the World Series by Renault.

"This gave me the chance to test with the team in Barcelona, which led to my debut in Formula 1."

Kubica leaves BMW Sauber, for whom he competed in 55 grands prix, achieving eight podium finishes and collecting 129 championship points, with warm word from his old employers.

"Robert played an important role for us - and certainly we did the same for him," said BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen.

"He never let us down and, with our first pole position in 2008 in Bahrain and first victory the same year in Canada, he set milestones in the history of our team.

"We are grateful for his strong and constant performances and wish him all the best for his future."

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Kubica to join Renault for 2010

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh has remained coy about rumours that Kimi Raikkonen is set to return next season, saying the Finn would be a good fit at the team if they "choose to go down that route."

Last week, Ferrari announced that Fernando Alonso would be taking Kimi Raikkonen's race-seat, leaving the former World Champion without a 2010 driver.

Rumours immediately emerged, suggesting that he could make a return to McLaren, the team he raced for prior to his Ferrari contract while Raikkonen's own comments that he'll only sign for a Championship-winning team added fuel to the rumours.

McLaren, though, are keeping their cards close with Whitmarsh once again stating that no decision has been made and that Heikki Kovalainen could yet keep his race-seat for 2010.

"The answer is simple. We have not determined a driver line-up yet and we haven't set a timetable for doing so," he told the official F1 website. "We now have clarity about Ferrari's drivers and we know now that other drivers are available.

"We try and give Heikki every opportunity to do a good job, Heikki is a very committed driver and a lovely chap, and we would like him to get some good results over the rest of the season. We are focusing on that and are not announcing a driver line-up for the moment.

"We have not made a decision on timing. We will continue to review the situation and, once we know, we will announce it."

The odds are hedging in Raikkonen's favour, though, as Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug has said he would welcome the Finn back at McLaren. Haug added that he's confident McLaren could handle having two star drivers, Lewis Hamilton and Raikkonen, on the payroll.

This is a sentiment backed up by Whitmarsh, who reckons Raikkonen would be a good fit at McLaren, especially given his future desire to beat Ferrari.

"Kimi is a fantastic driver, and I like him and know him well. He was with the team for five years," Whitmarsh said.

"He is quick, he is committed and I think he probably would be very committed to beating Ferrari in the future - knowing him.

"All these are attractive things with Kimi. He is not political. He is absolutely straightforward - what you see is what you get with Kimi. And on top of that everyone knows that he is a winning driver.

"I think he has been underestimated technically. He is a very good racing driver and I think he would fit well in this team, if we choose to go down that route."

Added to that, Whitmarsh admits that team harmony is a criteria when choosing Hamilton's 2010 team-mate as McLaren look to avoid the controversy that befell them in 2007 when Hamilton teamed up with Alonso.

And that's a factor that plays into current driver Heikki Kovalainen's hands.

"I think we are very fortunate at the moment as there is tremendous harmony in the team. Both our current drivers aren't political. They are very open to one another and they genuinely like each other.

"Team-mates don't necessarily like each other - that is not a prerequisite. They have to be honest and open and not political, that is part of the ingredients needed this year.

"We started in a very poor state with a slow car and then we had other controversies at the beginning of the year. I have to say I am personally proud of how the team pulled together during the year.

"I credit that to the genuine harmony among people who enjoy working together. And for the future, whatever driver line-up we have, you want to have that."
Its not new but I'm posting it anyway to keep hope!

Count Duckula

I reckon the reason the Kimi move is being delayed is because Toyota have stormed in with a fecking gigantic offer, and Raikkonen is seriously considering taking it. Otherwise they'd surely be very little to actually work out?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Can't see him going to Toyota, he's only interested in a winning car, and Toyota are yet to win a race.

I reckon the McLaren deal is done, they're just not going to confirm it till the season is over.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Apparently its been confirmed that Barrichello will driver for Williams next year, can't find any reputable online sources yet though.

Leaves a Brawn seat up for grabs, perhaps Robertson is speaking with them too?

I think we all expect Barrichello to swap seats with Rosberg, but it probably is all signed, and they are just hoping Button wins the title...as it would be embarassing for Barrichello to win it and be booted out

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
First on board lap footage of the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi released on James Allen's site:

Few first impressions:

• Pit lane exit could be interesting!!
  • Lots of slow corners so KERS will be of benefit here
  • Could see some overtaking (maybe! probably not though)
  • The track seems to have multiple options for layout and it looks weird, like the chicane before the hairpin, don't really like that.
  • A lot of run off area in many places

Overall it looks quite impressive for a modern circuit, hope it produces a good race!

Leg-End

It does look an interesting circuit, almost like a mix of 3 current tracks, Fuji, Turkey and Valencia.

I love the pitlane exit, thats great that they come out from underneath the track at full speed. I am with you in the multiple layout bits, I hate to see tracks do that but I think on race day they will probably mark those off better with temp barriers or foam ad boards.

Overall it looks like an interesting track, looking forward to it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yea true about marking it out better on race day, it will no doubt look very different with all the advertisement hoardings in place.

Its certainly something different, apparently the development as a whole (including the track, hotels, reclamation, a golf course, 'F1 world' etc) has cost a total of $22bn!!

Leg-End

Well they have that kind of money out there dont they, makes our rennovations of Donny look shit and embarrasing that they are scrambling around for £100 million in a week to get it done.

Rooney1987

Yeah it isn't happening I read the other day Bernie has given them another 2 weeks deadline. This could be the last straw they have had ALLOT of deadlines

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah it isn't happening I read the other day Bernie has given them another 2 weeks deadline. This could be the last straw they have had ALLOT of deadlines
Its not an extension that the dwarf has just agreed to, its a clause in the contract that Donny have exercised.

The fact that they've resorted to that is the worst of bad signs really.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Rich Arab bastards, that looks like one of the classiest tracks I have ever seen. Can't wait to see how it goes when the action gets under way.

Its not an extension that the dwarf has just agreed to, its a clause in the contract that Donny have exercised.

The fact that they've resorted to that is the worst of bad signs really.
I just hope the supposed brinkmanship by Damon Hill and Silverstone doesn't cost the British GP, I can see why they don't want to be a one-year option, but I can definitely see them missing out next year if they push Bernie too far

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Bernie is a megalomaniac to be sure but I don't think he'll want to lose a British venue, certainly not whilst we have a WDC here, potentially two.

I'd be surprised if there's no British GP next year, but it'll be at s.stone.

Leg-End

Gonna be tight but the times look alot closer because of the short lap, but still one mistake and your out.

Just turned on FP3, it is absolutely pouring down, definatly will be a wet quali maybe even with the extreme wets.

Leg-End

Track has rivers running across it, Grosjean very nearly just rolled his car. Conditions like this and I dont think Quali will go ahead at all.

muller

Well, this is fecking boring. What do they do if no qualification takes place?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It would have been tough and they'd have lined up in that order, as it happens it didn't matter.

Looks like that's just fecked Vettel, Jenson now only has team mate to worry about unless something very bizarre happens in the race.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Meh, not bothered if it doesn't restart, Kimi on the front row as it is!!

They're saying now it'll start at 14:57. If it doesn't though the top 10 will be able to pick whatever fuel load they want which would be interesting.

EDIT: out on track now.

Rooney1987

Jake said we will update for the viewers at home whats the point can't see half of it anyway start it from Q1.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I hope it's not like this tomorrow, it'll mean either no race or trundling around behind the safety car.

Rooney1987

They better start soon my sisters getting annoyed at me because Strictly not starting.

Good over to BBC2 at 7.30 if it re starts