The F1 Thread 2009 Season

Rooney1987

I wonder what will happen to Kovalainen will he get picked up the last few races he has had a great car done shit all with it not to forget last year.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I wonder what will happen to Kovalainen will he get picked up the last few races he has had a great car done shit all with it not to forget last year.
I like Kovi but his race pace has been pretty consistently shown up over the last two years to be honest. He puts in some great qualifying times, according to Whitmarsh he out qualified Hamilton on a number of occasions when fuel corrected, but if he can't produce in the race you can't see a big team giving him a race seat.

Maybe he'll get a deal with a smaller team, one of the new entrants perhaps? Or if the testing ban is lifted he could get a testing role with somebody bigger.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Nelson Piquet Snr really needs to shut up about the crash incident, he's not exactly covering the family name in glory by repeatedly bringing it up and taking cheap shots at other.

PIQUET SR: RENAULT WAS MANAGED BY ALONSO

Nelson Piquet Sr has launched another scathing attack on Renault, claiming the team "was managed by Fernando Alonso himself".

The French-based team were last week slapped with a suspended two-year ban after Nelson Piquet Jr deliberately crashed his car during the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix while former team boss Flavio Briatore was handed an effective lifetime ban for his involvement.

Piquet Sr says his son was under enormous pressure at Renault and claims the whole debacle was "inevitable".

"This is not something that should exist in motor racing," Nelson Piquet Sr told the Brazilian media. "In my career I would never have thought about doing something like this. But the circumstances that made him do this were inevitable. He was under great pressure.

"This year was really very bad due to the favouring in terms of cars that Renault gave to Alonso. The team was not even managed by Briatore: it was managed by Alonso himself.

The former World Champion is also adamant that his son didn't come up with the idea to crash.

"Two hours before the race [Briatore] said [to Piquet Jr]: 'If you want to help the team then you have to do this'," Piquet said. "He accepted doing something under great pressure from Renault. He didn't have much else to lose in terms of his career.

"I knew that this was a crime. Manipulating the result of a race is a criminal act. There is no room for this in sport and especially when it is premeditated."

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol: I think you might be onto something there Brad!

EDIT: To be fair to him though, I don't really know much about his driving style or prefered set up, it may well be that the car isn't suiting him at the moment over long runs.

Rooney1987

Nelson Piquet Snr really needs to shut up about the crash incident, he's not exactly covering the family name in glory by repeatedly bringing it up and taking cheap shots at other.
Trying to improve his son's image no one is gonna want to sign that little rat now.

First the spygate now this these big incidence's do follow Alonso around but he never seems to get punished. I still think he played a big part in this.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Alonso certainly had an involvement in spygate, but I'm not so sure about the crash.

He may have done, but I've certainly not seen anything to convince me that he knew.

EZee

Alonso certainly had an involvement in spygate, but I'm not so sure about the crash.

He may have done, but I've certainly not seen anything to convince me that he knew.
im pretty sure he would have known the only way his fuel stratagy was going to work was with a safety car otherwise he would have been stopping so early that it would have just been daft as it would have put him behind very slow cars for a number of laps?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well Liuzzi started last on the grid in Singapore at the weekend and only 4 people on the grid were lighter than him, so a light fuel load doesn't indicate much to be fair.

Rooney1987

Ferrari confirm capture of Alonso

Ferrari have announced that double world champion Fernando Alonso will join them for 2010 from Renault, replacing Kimi Raikkonen.

Ferrari said the Spaniard had signed a three-year contract and that he would partner Brazilian Felipe Massa.

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali described Alonso, world champion in 2005-6, as an "amazing talent".

Raikkonen said: "I am very sad to be leaving a team with which I have spent three fantastic years."

The Finn, who won the drivers' title in his first year at Ferrari in 2007, is tipped to be join McLaren.

As part of the cascade of driver moves that will follow Alonso's switch, Pole Robert Kubica is understood to have already signed a contract to replace Alonso at Renault.

The 28-year-old's switch to Ferrari has been an open secret in F1 for weeks and BBC Sport understands he signed his contract as long ago as July 2008.

A Ferrari source says there are options to extend Alonso's deal, and that he will be earning an annual salary in the region of 19-25 million euros (£17.3-22.8m).

Raikkonen had a contract with Ferrari until the end of 2010, but the team have negotiated an early release. Italian Giancarlo Fisichella will be Ferrari's reserve driver.

Domenicali said: "Of course, we wish to thank Kimi for everything he has done during his time with Ferrari.

"In his first year with us, he managed to win the drivers' title, thus making his contribution to Ferrari's history and he played a vital role in our taking of the constructors' title in 2007 and 2008.

"Even during a difficult season like this one, he has demonstrated his great talent, with several good results, including a great win in Spa and we are sure that we can share more good times together in the final three races of this season."

Raikkonen added: "With common consent, we have agreed to terminate the contract binding me to Ferrari to the end of 2010, one year ahead of schedule.

"I have always felt at home with everyone here and I will have many happy memories of my time with the team."

Ferrari's statement did not include any remarks from Alonso, who is in Japan ahead of this weekend's grand prix.

The most successful active driver in F1, Alonso signed his Ferrari contract as long ago as July 2008, according to sources close to the team.

Ferrari had been planning to announce it at the end of the season, but it had become such common knowledge that the Italian team have decided to bring that forward.

The move brings to an end Alonso's relationship with the Renault team, for whom he has driven in all but two of his eight years in F1.

He was cleared of any involvement in the recent race-fixing scandal, in which Renault were found to have asked his team-mate Nelson Piquet Jr to crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix to aid Alonso's chances of victory.

Team boss Flavio Briatore and engineering director Pat Symonds left the team in the wake of Renault's decision not to contest the charges.

But an investigation by governing body the FIA found no evidence that Alonso, who did go on to win the race, knew of the conspiracy.

Alonso made his F1 debut for Minardi in 2001, moved to Renault as their test driver in 2002 and was promoted to their race team in 2003.

He became the youngest race-winner in F1 history when he won the 2003 Hungarian Grand Prix, and its youngest world champion when he won his first drivers' title in 2005.

He has since lost those two records to Sebastian Vettel, who broke the win mark in Italy in 2008, and Lewis Hamilton when he became world champion last year.

Alonso went on to win a second consecutive championship in 2006, beating Ferrari's Michael Schumacher in a straight fight, before moving to McLaren as Lewis Hamilton's team-mate in 2007.

Alonso signed a three-year contract with McLaren, but he left after one season following a tempestuous relationship with the team. Hamilton and Alonso finished the season tied on points just a point behind the champion, Raikkonen.

Alonso rejoined Renault for 2008, winning in Singapore and, with one of his best performances, the following race in Japan, but the team have been uncompetitive this season.

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Ferrari confirm capture of Alonso

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Trust this to break when I'm stuck in a frigging meeting!

Just hope Kimi is actually going to McLaren now, don't like the sound of his comments there.

Rooney1987

I think James Allen says it best "Formula 1 has it’s dream scenario, which harks back to the Prost vs Senna days – Hamilton in a McLaren vs Alonso in a Ferrari, two drivers on the same level with some history between them. F1, like any sport, works at its absolute best when it has a really great rivalry and we now have that. Except that it’s even better than that because Kimi Raikkonen is also in a McLaren and he’s out to get Alonso too. "

When Massa returns in 2010 he will get a great welcome after what happened this year we all know how much Ferrari love him they must picking him over Kimi. It's gonna be intresting to see how Alonso will act we know when if he isn't centre of attention he doesnt like it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
"Kimi Raikkonen is also in a McLaren and he’s out to get Alonso too" ??

I don't think Raikkonen has ever been 'out to get' anybody in his life! As inevitable as this one it is still pissing me off; especially with Alonso confirming they had a deal for 2011 but LDM has brought it forward a year.

Want Kimi to win the 2010 WDC even more now :mad:

Rooney1987

Maybe not Alonso more Ferrari he was never part of the family was he like at Mclaren. I know hes a cool character keeps allot to himself but he wasn't treated the best was he or maybe I'm getting it wrong and it just didn't fit for both. I think he will be motivated to beat them.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yea he definitely wasn't treated right at Ferrari, that much has been made plainly obvious with the car development. And for LDM to bring Alonso's deal forward a year in spite of Raikkonen being the highest scoring driver in the last 6 races is a real shitty move.

McLaren have just stated they have made no decisions re their second driver yet.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Rubens Barrichello is closing in on a deal with Williams for 2010, AUTOSPORT has learned, in a move that could see him swap places with Nico Rosberg.

On the back of a season where he has resurrected his Formula 1 career, having turned a lifeline from Brawn GP into a full-scale assault on the world championship, Barrichello is poised to extend his stay in F1 for at least one more year.

Although his performances for Brawn were not enough to guarantee his future at the team, with Rosberg's move to the Brackley-based team an open secret in F1, Williams is believed to be keen to tap into Barrichello's vast experience and speed as it continues its push back to the front of the grid.

With Williams expected to sign rookie Nico Hulkenberg, the team has set its sights on an experienced team leader to help guide car development and help bring on a rookie team-mate.

Sources have claimed that Barrichello recently visited the Williams factory at Grove to discuss the plans for next year, and it is understood that an outline deal either has already been agreed or is close to being concluded.

Speaking in Singapore last weekend, Williams technical director Sam Michael made no secret of the fact that the team's preference was for a driver line-up that featured both experience and youth.

"If you have someone who is very experienced that is great because they have experience on set-up and car direction," he explained. "And if you have someone who is young, then they bring enthusiasm.

"We've had many different drivers in Williams over the years in both camps - experienced guys and rookies, and they have all had their plus and minuses. But the most important thing is that they are fast, this is first and foremost for us."

Barrichello has won two races this year and currently lies 15 points behind team-mate Jenson Button in the world championship standings, with three races to go.

Although Barrichello is close to a deal with Williams, it is not impossible that he could be kept by Brawn GP if the team fails to reach agreement with Button about the financial terms of a new contract for 2010.

Discussions between the world championship leader and the team over money for next year have not yet reached a conclusion. It is understood the two parties are still some way apart in their discussions about just how much Button should be paid on the back of his strong campaign, having agreed to a cut-price deal this year to ensure Brawn GP's future in F1.

However, Barrichello may feel it is better to take a guaranteed seat at Williams in the next few weeks rather than wait until after the season for the chance of something that may not happen.

Williams also held talks with Robert Kubica earlier this year, but the Polish driver is now expected to take up an offer he has from the Renault team.
autosport.com - F1 News: Barrichello closing on Williams deal

Rooney1987

Good deal for both there I think Rubins would be a great fit for Williams with the young Nico Hulkenberg. Nico is a great talent I think he will benefit from having Rubins there.

AhmedDimwitson

The Expert
Yea he definitely wasn't treated right at Ferrari, that much has been made plainly obvious with the car development. And for LDM to bring Alonso's deal forward a year in spite of Raikkonen being the highest scoring driver in the last 6 races is a real shitty move.

McLaren have just stated they have made no decisions re their second driver yet.
well it is not a move Ferrari could do much about. Santander is the new main sponsor of Ferrari and they dictate their drivers. They need a spanish driver and as it is also a Brazilian driver at the moment - they are trying to expand heavily in Brazil as we speak. One of the few banks that actually got stronger during the depression. This had nothing to do with ability.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
well it is not a move Ferrari could do much about. Santander is the new main sponsor of Ferrari and they dictate their drivers. They need a spanish driver and as it is also a Brazilian driver at the moment - they are trying to expand heavily in Brazil as we speak. One of the few banks that actually got stronger during the depression. This had nothing to do with ability.
Sorry but that is completely untrue. All of it.

F-Red

:lol: Stay off the green. Alonso's move for Ferrari was talked about looonnngg before Santander had any involvement with Ferrari.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Banco Santander Brasil Has Our Attention - Morningstar - Stock Strategist

you dumb feck - read up or even try to do a simple google to check out if it is true or not. Needless to say Santander signed an agreement with McLaren in 2007 when their driver was erm, Alonso..
read the post above you dumb feck
Wow you're a real conversationalist aren't you. Do you react to different opinions like that in person? I hope so because you deserve the inevitable smack in the face that would follow.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Santander do not choose Ferrari's drivers, just like Philip Morris did not choose Ferrari's drivers before that, and Santander did not pick McLaren's drivers. Oh and if you think that Santander's deal with McLaren is evidence that they picked the drivers, don't forget that Alonso was released from McLaren after 12 months.

Believe it or not the top F1 teams do not have pay drivers, in any form.

F-Red

Banco Santander Brasil Has Our Attention - Morningstar - Stock Strategist

you dumb feck - read up or even try to do a simple google to check out if it is true or not. Needless to say Santander signed an agreement with McLaren in 2007 when their driver was erm, Alonso..
Nothing more than a co-incidence, as is the Ferrari issue. Considering the contract for Alonso was signed as long ago as in July 2008. It's quite clear that Santender are doing any of the driver picking that you seem to think they're doing.

It would be more of a realistic situation that Ferrari approached them and said, we have Spains Number 1 driver, do you want to come on board as sponsors?

As for dumb feck, You need to chill out, learn how to construct discussions & stop living up to your username.

AhmedDimwitson

The Expert
Wow you're a real conversationalist aren't you. Do you react to different opinions like that in person? I hope so because you deserve the inevitable smack in the face that would follow.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Santander do not choose Ferrari's drivers, just like Philip Morris did not choose Ferrari's drivers before that, and Santander did not pick McLaren's drivers. Oh and if you think that Santander's deal with McLaren is evidence that they picked the drivers, don't forget that Alonso was released from McLaren after 12 months.

Believe it or not the top F1 teams do not have pay drivers, in any form.
you can probably note that this is nothing but your own drivel i.e without any decent links. could ask the gardener here and he might also have an opinion on this - obviously worth as much as yours, ie feck all.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
you can probably note that this is nothing but your own drivel i.e without any decent links. could ask the gardener here and he might also have an opinion on this - obviously worth as much as yours, ie feck all.
So you posting a link to a news report about Santanders operations is evidence that they instigated Ferrari's deal with Alonso?

Your ignorance of the world of F1 combined with your unfounded arrogance makes you look like a complete twat. Your immediate response to differing opinion was to call people 'dumb fecks', do you think that makes your argument somehow infallible?

Luca di Montezemolo said, in his own words "sponsors do not choose our drivers". Plus Alonso's deal was signed over a year before Santander became Ferrari sponsors. Plus Santander are not Alonso's management team. Plus you basically don't know what you're talking about.

Rooney1987

Yeah the teams choose the drivers but im sure sponcors/engine suppliers have had a say do you really think Williams wanted Nakajima.

EZee

Luca di Montezemolo said, in his own words "sponsors do not choose our drivers". Plus Alonso's deal was signed over a year before Santander became Ferrari sponsors. .
yeah... but i bet ferrari let it slip to them that alonso would be a driver if they sponsered them

F-Red

So you posting a link to a news report about Santanders operations is evidence that they instigated Ferrari's deal with Alonso?

Your ignorance of the world of F1 combined with your unfounded arrogance makes you look like a complete twat. Your immediate response to differing opinion was to call people 'dumb fecks', do you think that makes your argument somehow infallible?

Luca di Montezemolo said, in his own words "sponsors do not choose our drivers". Plus Alonso's deal was signed over a year before Santander became Ferrari sponsors. Plus Santander are not Alonso's management team. Plus you basically don't know what you're talking about.
This.

F-Red

yeah... but i bet ferrari let it slip to them that alonso would be a driver if they sponsered them
Of course, but thats astute business acumen. They hired Alonso on his driving ability alone, not because Santander would definitely sponsor them.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Quite likely, but that is Ferrari luring Santander with the prospect of Alonso, no Santander telling Ferrari which driver to sign.

GloryHunter07

Leg-End

Alonso is the most well rounded consistent driver on the grid and he will develop a car over the course of a season that can be rivaled by very few. Ferrari want him for talent, not pay day.

B Cantona

Desperate
I see Ahmed is being his usual self

I thought he was above us all on here? Too knowledgeable to mix with the likes of us...

It would seem obvious to me that Santander moved to sponsor Ferrari, on top of their successful sponsorship of McClaren, because they were let in on the knowledge that Alonso was going to Ferrari, a deal supposedly reached many months ago