The F1 Thread 2009 Season

Leg-End

I wasn't basing my opinion on Barechillo deserving the title on this season alone.
Hence I said 5 years as Schumachers lap dog. Barrichello was brilliant in his Jordan-Stewart days but achieved very few great results of real note once he got into one of the top teams. So he doesnt deserve anything seeming as he was in the World Championship winning car for 6 seasons and never even took his team mate close (although to be fair I am not sure many would have taken Schumi close in that period).

My point is you deserve what you get in the season you are in, fact of the matter is if he doesnt win it this year its because he was beaten fair and square, they both equally deserve it.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Bridgestone need to pull their finger out and start delivering tyres with far more grip. F1 are still far too dependent on downforce to deliver the grip to the road. Take the mini series for example, the grip generated by those tyres allows them to run side by side through corners you could never imagine and the racing is out of this world. I think people underestimate how potentially boring f1 could turn out to be next year with the removal of refueling.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Talking of next year I really hope Alonso doesn't go to Ferrari, I'd rather he went to Brawn and we had Ferrari, Macca, Brawn and Red Bull all fighting for wins.

Leg-End

I think Rosberg is nailed on for Brawn isnt he? Neither Button or Barrichello are signed though.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Think Barrichello could be out next year and Jenson is still arguing over pay isn't he?

Not overly bothered about Brawn to be frank just don't want Alonso at Ferarri; not next year anyway.

Rooney1987

Talking of next year I really hope Alonso doesn't go to Ferrari, I'd rather he went to Brawn and we had Ferrari, Macca, Brawn and Red Bull all fighting for wins.
Could Brawn afford him though I was gonna bring this up with Kimi being linked to Brawn. Brawn don't seem to be the team that can give out 25 mil plus to a driver. But I'm with you I'd love see that happen if the cars were right.

Rooney1987

Think Barrichello could be out next year and Jenson is still arguing over pay isn't he?

Not overly bothered about Brawn to be frank just don't want Alonso at Ferarri; not next year anyway.
It would be harsh if he wins the title. If he gets dropped he should retire on top if he does win the title best way to go out.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
After this season Brawn could land a big name sponsor. Don't forget Phil Morris pays Kimi's wages now.

I really want Raikkonen to stay at Ferrari; I'd hate to have to go back to wanting McLaren to do well!

Leg-End

Brawn is known to have signed a title sponsor and two secondary sponsors for next season. There are others negotiating the remaining positions on the car and Mercedes’ involvement will attract others.

The team are keeping the details close to their chests, but I have heard a suggestion that one of the secondary sponsors may be Orange, the mobile phone giant. It seems that another of the sponsors may be a Germany company and another from the Far East. It is known that LG is interested in sponsoring a team next season, in addition to its extensive spend with Bernie Ecclestone and FOM thus far, but I have not heard any direct connection with Brawn yet.
Thats according to James Allen who is pretty well informed usually. With the Merc involvement I reckon Brawn will have a pretty decent budget next season.

Rooney1987

Thats according to James Allen who is pretty well informed usually. With the Merc involvement I reckon Brawn will have a pretty decent budget next season.
I didn't know that though I did read that Mercedes were gonna buy a certain percent in to Brawn.

Rooney1987

Whitmarsh was interviewed on the BBC F1 forum he was asked that the Kimi rumours to Mclaren are getting stronger he was silent then after I didn't catch all of it but at the end of the interview he said we will see.

Count Duckula

That's got to have been the most nervous I've been at the end of a race for a good while, and it was primarily because I was shitting it that Button's brakes might not last until the finish :lol:

I did love Barichello's, "can I catch him?" even though his own brakes were on the verge of disintegration, too!

Count Duckula

Also it looks like the line-ups next year will be:

Ferrari: Alonso & Massa
McLaren: Hamilton & Kimi (:drool::drool:)
Brawn: Jenson & Rosberg

Barichello looks set for Williams, and Nakajima's future is dependent on whether Williams keep the Toyota engine, as if they don't remours suggest they'll drop the token Japanese driver.

EZee

Barichello looks set for Williams, and Nakajima's future is dependent on whether Williams keep the Toyota engine, as if they don't remours suggest they'll drop the token Japanese driver.
are bmw still quiting?... if so what about kubica and heidfeld... where are they off to?

Rooney1987

I think that Nico Hulkenberg in GP2 will drive for Willams next year. I read on crash. net "Williams has also been mentioned as a potential Mercedes customer after being given leave to exit its current agreement with Toyota" Nakajima is gone it that is true.

Count Duckula

are bmw still quiting?... if so what about kubica and heidfeld... where are they off to?
BMW have quit, but the team has been bought by a Swiss consortium. Currently all the new spots are filled (by USF1, Manor, Campos and Lotus), but Ecclestone is petitioning the current teams to allow another new team in so that the BMW Saubers can come back (albeit under new ownership and a different name).

If that goes through then the BMWs will stay and we'll get four new teams, meaning eight new cars (and eight new drivers) on the grid! :drool::drool:

I think that Nico Hulkenberg in GP2 will drive for Willams next year. I read on crash. net "Williams has also been mentioned as a potential Mercedes customer after being given leave to exit its current agreement with Toyota" Nakajima is gone it that is true.
I thought they wanted the Renault engine

Not sure how many can have the Mercedes

Brawn, McLaren and Force India are more or less definites for next season, and Red Bull are reportedly desperate to ditch Renault for Mercedes. I don't think they'd be allowed to supply 5 teams

Rooney1987

I thought they wanted the Renault engine

Not sure how many can have the Mercedes

Brawn, McLaren and Force India are more or less definites for next season, and Red Bull are reportedly desperate to ditch Renault for Mercedes. I don't think they'd be allowed to supply 5 teams
So did I but on Crash.net were I got that comment the story is about how Mercedes has capacity for extra customers.

Mercedes has capacity for extra customers | Oldest Comments | Page 1 | F1 | Crash.Net

Maybe then.

But five engines would surely be too many, what is it for next season....Cosworth, Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault (and who knows about Toyota).

With 14 teams and 5 suppliers, I think three is about the right number, four at an absolute push, but not five

B Cantona

Desperate
BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | 'Stupid' Rosberg sorry for error

Force India's Adrian Sutil drove straight into Heidfeld's side while recovering from a spin, forcing the pair to retire with 21 laps gone.

"It was extremely stupid of Sutil. He should look where he goes," raged an angry Heidfeld after the race.

Asked what his team would do next, he added: "Maybe we try to find a brain for him."

Sutil, who has been given an official reprimand and fined $20,000 (£12,500) for the incident, apologised to Heidfeld.

"I didn't see him coming as I was on the move already and couldn't react to it," said Sutil. "But I'm sorry for it. It was a race incident."

Hehehe. Actually I think Sutil has got off pretty lightly there. It wasn't a race incident like he said, it was real fecking stupidity on his part. You can continue the spin on purpose like that when the track is clear, but it wasn't. Pretty dangerous in truth

Rooney1987

Ferrari set to confirm Alonso for 2010

By Jonathan Noble

Ferrari could announce its 2010 deal with Fernando Alonso as early as next weekend's Japanese Grand Prix, with the Spaniard's move to the Maranello team now all but confirmed.

With lawyers working hard on the last few details of Kimi Raikkonen's release from his contract with Ferrari, a move that will pave the way for the Finn to return to McLaren, the Maranello-based outfit has openly admitted that it wants to announce its line-up as quickly as possible.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said at Singapore on Sunday night: "I think that as soon as we are ready we will let you know. We don't want to wait too long."

When asked by AUTOSPORT if that announcement could come as early as Suzuka, Domenicali said: "It is a possibility, but it is not guaranteed."

Neither Ferrari nor Renault are now denying that Alonso is on his way to the Italian outfit, in a deal that has been widely predicted for several months.

Renault's stand-in managing director Jean-Francois Caubet told AUTOSPORT after the Singapore Grand Prix that his outfit would be sad to see Alonso leave after this season.

"I think Fernando will miss Renault and Renault will miss Fernando," he explained.

Once the Ferrari-Alonso announcement is made, Renault is expected to confirm that Polish driver Robert Kubica will lead its team in 2010.

autosport.com - F1 News: Ferrari set to confirm Alonso for 2010

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Autosport said:
McLaren: We could handle Raikkonen

Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug says McLaren has no qualms about slotting in Kimi Raikkonen alongside Lewis Hamilton next year - as it closes in on a deal with the Finnish driver.

With Ferrari in the final stages of completing moves that will end Raikkonen's Ferrari deal a year early, and open the way for Fernando Alonso to join the Maranello-outfit, sources have confirmed that the 2007 world champion and McLaren are keen to renew their partnership.

And although the signing of Raikkonen for 2010 would give McLaren one of the strongest driver line-ups on the grid, it could also leave it exposed to the problems it has faced in the past in managing two top-line drivers.

However, Haug thinks that McLaren will have no trouble in dealing with such a situation – and does not risk a repeat of the problems that marred the outfit when Hamilton was partnered with Fernando Alonso.

"Whatever you can do to get the best available drivers, that is what you have to do," said Haug. "It's a question of money, it's a question of capability, a question of the amount of talent. Managing two megastars, I don't think that honestly it was a problem.

"With Alonso there were some noises to the outside world, but in reality inside the team everybody did his job and in reality we should have won the world championship. But it was not due to not having team orders.

"You can imagine what would have happened in Fernando would not have blocked Lewis in Hungary, no penalty, one point more and you are there. This is how it goes sometimes. We won it by one point and we lost it by one point.

"I stress, I do not confirm that there is change. This is very important. But managing drivers ifs and whys is the name of the game and we are qualified to do so."

Although Raikkonen did not enjoy the best of relationships with former McLaren team principal Ron Dennis, Haug says that the team would relish the opportunity to have the Finn back.

"Reflecting on our co-operation which was five years, I think that it was positive," explained Haug. "We should have won at least two world championships. I have to say we missed one with two points in 2003 but I think an engine failure was one of the reasons, so without that he could have done it.

"In 2005 he could have done it, in fairness. The engines at that stage were not as good and reliable as they are now. To have Kimi in our team winning two world championships would certainly have been a fair outcome for him. I have a good relationship with him and I'm sure he would say the same."
I think I'm going to have to get used to the idea of Raikkonen back in the silver cars.

It should work out well for him to be fair, he and Hamilton both prefer over steer set ups so he won't be compromised by the team trying to account for a team mate who likes under steer. I also can't see the two of them having the kind of problems Hamilton had with Alonso.

I still don't like it though - I don't like McLaren or Hamilton!

Swerny

Poster originally known MS MSP
I think I'm going to have to get used to the idea of Raikkonen back in the silver cars.

I still don't like it though - I don't like McLaren or Hamilton!
Amen.

I'm in the same boat. I will have a hard time cheering for Alonso/Massa driving the Ferrari's as I like neither of them.

I can't cheer for McLaren though, despite having become a Raikkonen fan.

Rooney1987

Reading on Crash.net, Autosport today its almost 100% Alonso is at Ferrari next year and Kimi back to Mclaren. I'm sure Lewis will be fine with Kimi back in 07 I think it was Alonso who had a bigger problem. I know im biased being a Mclaren fan but I think there driver line up is stronger then Ferrari.

F-Red

It's looking good for McLaren next season :cool:

I guess the one bonus with Raikonnen is he'll be able to hit the ground running as it's a team he's familiar with.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
Shit really? All this time I've been convinced that my sporting allegiance is of the utmost importance to them!

Do you actually have anything to say on the matter or are you limited to unfunny little quips?
Get you!
And all this time I was merely wondering what you had against Lewis Hamilton.
You obviously have a lot to say, judging from your post count in such a short space of time, perhaps due to this you failed to find time to acquire a sense of humour?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ah a post count dig! The ultimate in e-irony!

If you want to talk about F1, then contribute to the thread, in the mean time I'm not getting into a pathetic little slanging match with you.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
Ah a post count dig! The ultimate in e-irony!

If you want to talk about F1, then contribute to the thread, in the mean time I'm not getting into a pathetic little slanging match with you.
Good.
I think Hamilton drove a superb race and isn't getting any credit for it because everyone's talking about preening fat boy Nando and masturbating over the red cars..

I have no idea what the irony is in mentioning your post count in the way I did.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Hamilton drove a good solid race, but it was pretty non eventful to be honest. I'm not knocking him - he did a great job, but it wasn't a particularly awesome show. The Singapore circuit is shite and not conducive to an overly entertaining race, its no great surprise that most of the talk will be centred around the potential move of the Dolmio Man to Ferrari. Just like its no surprise that football commentators still mention Ronaldo in every one of our matches - still annoying though I grant you.