The F1 Thread 2010 Season

EZee

Right...

so which teams are deffinatley in... what drivers have they signed and all that...

plus if you were jenson button wouldnt you sign for mclaren just to have opne of these

Leg-End

If I was Jenson Button I would be spoilt for choice, a drive for the WCC team with potentially Mercedes backing next season or McLaren a team rich with history and seemingly a competitve car next season. Wherever he ends up its a decent place to be.

Leg-End

He won't be behind Hamilton though, not in terms of favortism or equipment, he might be abit slower than Hamilton overall but I think McLaren have recognised they need a driver next season that is not necessarily as quick as Hamilton but can bring a car home consistantly and look after their tyres. There are only 2 guys on the grid that reguarly do both, Heidfeld and Button.

Narrower front tyres next season and massive fuel tanks, therefore its a different kind of racing next season, if Button ends up next to Hamilton at McLaren next season, given the car I think they are strong contenders for both titles with both drivers.

He won't be behind Hamilton though, not in terms of favortism or equipment, he might be abit slower than Hamilton overall but I think McLaren have recognised they need a driver next season that is not necessarily as quick as Hamilton but can bring a car home consistantly and look after their tyres. There are only 2 guys on the grid that reguarly do both, Heidfeld and Button.

Narrower front tyres next season and massive fuel tanks, therefore its a different kind of racing next season, if Button ends up next to Hamilton at McLaren next season, given the car I think they are strong contenders for both titles with both drivers.
I have to agree, many think he'd be panned by Hamilton, but with the need to look after tyres, I'd favour Button, yes, Hamilton would outqualify him virtually everytime, as he seems to be a quicker driver.

A consequence of this is the amount of times he locks his tyres, leading to tyre wear, I suspect his break wear is higher as well, and these are the two biggest issues facing the teams next season.

Button probably needs to decide which car he thinks will give him the best chance of competing next season, and it's not as simple to say it will be McLaren, as isn't it thought that Brawn switched development to next year's car early.

If he is going to stay with Brawn, probably best to sign a one year deal, give himself that flexibility, as who knows, Massa's seat will be up for grabs

F-Red

He'll be at Brawn, McLaren will be signing Raikkonen pretty soon i reckon.

F-Red

Trulli is strongly linked to a drive at Lotus. They announce their line up at the end of the month from what they say.

Count Duckula

feck that, if Button goes to McLaren, Hamilton will piss on him, lap him, piss on him again and still be so far ahead that he can complete the final lap backwards to win the race.

Leg-End

Clearly he wont, it will be closer than people think. But not in terms of overall pace, I am fairly confident in saying Hamilton would outqualify Button 75% of the time but like I have said before, its different racing next season with the bigger tanks and looking after tyres will become incredibly important which I think is one of Hamilton's main weaknesses and Button's biggest asset.

Saying that I still believe head to head that Hamilton would prevail quite comfortably because he is one of the Top 2 drivers on the grid with Alonso.

B Cantona

Desperate
Alonso will be the next world champion even if he gets a car slightly less competetive than Mclaren. Best driver around by quite a distance.

Close the thread.
:lol: Didn't beat first season debutant Hamilton in the same car... he might be up there or even the best driver, but it's certainly not by a distance

Personally I think there's actually a lot of top top drivers in F1 right now. Could be a fascinating season if Bernie doesn't do something to feck it up...

Count Duckula

:lol: Didn't beat first season debutant Hamilton in the same car... he might be up there or even the best driver, but it's certainly not by a distance

Personally I think there's actually a lot of top top drivers in F1 right now. Could be a fascinating season if Bernie doesn't do something to feck it up...
A big "if", that.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
He'll be at Brawn, McLaren will be signing Raikkonen pretty soon i reckon.
Doubt it. Kimi wants a massive pay packet that really, only Toyota would consider 'and whoa they're gone!'. I'd say Button is a safe bet for McLaren. Kimi is either taking a sabbatical or off to retirement. His managers need to pull their heads from their arse and realize that they're not going to get the same kind of Ferrari money for Raikkonen again.

Brawn seems to be heading the way of Williams in that they won't pay an arm and a leg for a driver. 'although that may change if Mercedes purchase the team'

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Doubt it. Kimi wants a massive pay packet that really, only Toyota would consider 'and whoa they're gone!'. I'd say Button is a safe bet for McLaren. Kimi is either taking a sabbatical or off to retirement. His managers need to pull their heads from their arse and realize that they're not going to get the same kind of Ferrari money for Raikkonen again.
Raikkonen was said to be considering a McLaren offer around a week ago, and the stumbling block was not money but the fact that he wants to be able to partake in rally events in his own time, something which McLaren are reportedly not keen on.

The big rumour at the minute is Mercedes set to be selling their shares in McLaren and buying a 75% stake in Brawn, making Brawn the works team and McLaren will be customers of Mercedes engines. Mercedes have call a press conference today "to discuss the future of Mercedes’ engagement in Formula 1." Speculation that Brawn will be racing with Nico Rosberg and Nick Heidfeld next year and Jenson is off to McLaren.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
BBC Sport understands Brawn will be rebranded as an official Mercedes, all-German F1 team.

Nico Rosberg will be their lead driver, with Nick Heidfeld his likely partner.

F-Red

I think that only confirms Jenson at McLaren now? Surprised to be honest that the moves of Mercedes has dictated this, i had Raikkonen down as a cert!

I wonder if long term McLaren would be building their own engines in a few years time?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The driver line ups are not confirmed as yet, so we'll see on that score.

McLaren build their own unit for the new 12C didn't they?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Or not...

"Mercedes has confirmed that Brawn will be its works team next year. Cars will be Silver Arrows. McLaren will get Merc engines to 2015" From James Allen.

I think that only confirms Jenson at McLaren now? Surprised to be honest that the moves of Mercedes has dictated this, i had Raikkonen down as a cert!

I wonder if long term McLaren would be building their own engines in a few years time?
I don't think Mercedes would be driving this, more likely to me would be that they couldn't meet in the middle on Button's wage demands, so he's gone elsewhere and is virtually signed at McLaren, which is why they are saying they may now like two German drivers.

But honestly, wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot more to run in this story, I can still easily see Kimi at McLaren and Button at Brawn

EDIT
Plus you've got to imagine that Brawn-Mercedes or whatever it is called will want that number one plate on their cars.

F-Red

But honestly, wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot more to run in this story
I think you're right on that, i imagine some weird twists to this story. Once Mercedes involvement with both teams is made clearer then i guess we'll have a better idea as to who goes where.

Rooney1987

With the new Brawn-Mercedes having silver Arrows I wonder if will Mclaren to Red and white of the late 80s and early 90s.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Q: Can you tell us if the look and feel of the Brawn will change to be Silver Arrows next year?

Dieter Zetsch: The answer is yes. Without any detail so far of how this will look, we are on the way to develop that, but it will clearly be Silver Arrows.

Q: Could you comment on driver line-up?

DZ: Not yet, we are working diligently on that topic but there is no final decision there therefore I cannot comment on it.

Q: Will you continue to supply Mercedes engines next season to McLaren?

DZ: Yes, we will and not only next season but we agreed that we will do that ultimately - of course, for a price - to 2015.

Q: You mentioned that McLaren has agreed to buy out the shareholding - is there any other penalty clause that you have to honour?

DZ: There is no penalty whatsoever. There are contractual obligations that we will of course fulfil, but there is no penalty.

Q: There has been a lot of speculation that the new Mercedes team may field two German drivers next season?

DZ: What we would like to see would be the best drivers in the two seats. We certainly would not be opposed if one were German, but that is not a pre requisite which we would give the team.

Norbert Haug: I read some speculation and I understand this because we could not give this information earlier. But this will be an international team for Mercedes-Benz is a global player. If you look back in our history we have very often been criticised for not having a German driver, so we were always open and we took the driver decision always together with McLaren. This will be the same in the future. We want to have the best ones and we definitely do not want to have the pure German team - it's an international Silver Arrows team and we want to have the best drivers in the car.

Q: It seems to be general knowledge that Nico Rosberg has already been hired and that because you've hired him you might be running scared of taking on Jenson Button?

DZ: First of all, we have just announced that we will acquire a share in the Brawn team so we haven't done anything so far. Whatever could have been done would have been done by Ross Brawn, so with that I would like to leave the speculation of drivers.

Q Would you not want to have Jenson Button in the team next year?

NH: We are in negotiations but all the accurate information is around and we are talking. That's why we are not able to announcement driver line-up. We cannot comment on the drivers.

Q: Has Ross Brawn given you a commitment for a certain number of years that he will stay in change?

DZ: Yes, he has made a certain commitment and that was very valuable to us.

Q: Can you put a figure on how much this is costing Daimler?

DZ: No.

Q: What about commercial sponsors?
DZ: The only thing we can say is that a number of discussions are underway which are promising.

Q: Ross Brawn is committed - will Nick Fry remain in his current role?

DZ: Without going through the entire team in general I think the team has proved that it can be very competitive and successful, so from a shareholders perspective, there's no reason to change a winning team.

Q.Will the team remain in the UK?

DZ: Yes. That is obviously a great advantage because Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines are close neighbours and this is logistically highly welcome.

You said there is no reason to change a winning team and Jenson Button is a key element as a winning driver. There's confusion as to why someone is asking for a salary that is smaller than some world champions are getting hasn't been snapped up?

DZ: It seems that you have more information than I do.

To continue with that, the negotiations between Button and Brawn have been with Ross, but now Mercedes is in charge that presumably changes the financial landscape - will that mean you take over the negotiations?

DZ: No. It's very similar to what we used to have in our partnership before. Very clearly, Ross Brawn is the team principal he runs the team together with his management team. I am involved as the responsible guy in Mercedes Motorsport, but he is the boss of the team and we have to report to Stuttgart so we are co-ordinated. So in reality if you have discussions and you are a racer you will not find most of the time five different names on the list, you will find two or three so you come to agreement. Very clearly Ross Brawn is the team principal, we are co-ordinated and that's it.

Norbert, when will you be able to name your drivers?

NH: I would rather hope next week, but don't kill me if it [takes] a couple of weeks longer.

What are the strategic objectives?

DZ: First of all the brand of motor racing goes back to motor racing. You do motor racing in order to promote your brand in the world market – there's no other platform in sport - or perhaps even beyond - with such a strong presence around the globe and in emerging markets. With the history of Mercedes we have the best opportunity to use that programme for the improvement of our brand.

You mentioned McLaren branching into road cars as being part of the reason – were the big scandals that the team was involved in a factor?

DZ: We are looking forward. We gave you the clear information, we had a very successful common history with four championships and many victories and now we continue as engine partner.
autosport.com - F1 News: Q & A with Mercedes GP chiefs

Leg-End

As a BAR/Honda/Brawn GP fan although this is good for the team it kinda ends my interest in them as a fan. McLaren are now free to do what they want in terms of drivers so two British drivers is in line with their plans to become the British Ferrari, but its surprising that Merc seemingly want to drop the world champion.

Good for the sport though as you have to feel that makes it 3 top teams from now on.

Count Duckula

Very, very interesting. You've got to think, though, that Button will stay with Brawn-Mercedes. I mean, he'd be mad not to. And Mercedes would be mad to lose him - they've got the money now, he's a world champion, and they can have a big ol' "1" on the front of their nice new silver car.

Rooney1987

Jenson Button agrees to join McLaren on three-year, £6m-a-year deal

• Button will sign contract with McLaren in the next few days
• Champion unfazed by being Lewis Hamilton's team-mate

Jenson Button has agreed terms to join McLaren on a £6m-a-year deal and could sign his formal three-year contract to partner Lewis Hamilton in an all-British line-up within the next few days.

The Guardian understands that the world champion has turned his back on Brawn following protracted negotiations and will almost double his salary with the Woking-based team. The 29-year-old was given a guided tour of McLaren's factory last Friday and, although neither the team nor Button's management would confirm the deal tonight, sources close to McLaren hinted: "I think Jenson liked what he saw and they liked him too."

In switching to McLaren Button will be going against advice from Formula One grandees including Sir Stirling Moss, Sir Jackie Stewart, Niki Lauda and Martin Brundle, all of whom feel he might be biting off more than he can chew taking on Hamilton on his home turf in equal cars.

But for Button the prospect of going head-to-head with a close friend and the man regarded by many in the pit lane as possibly the fastest of all will just be part of the challenge of defending his title. It is unlikely either Hamilton, who earns about £12m a year at McLaren, or his father Anthony, who has managed the 2008 world champion since his days as a teenage kart racer, will have been consulted on this beyond the normal deployment of good manners. McLaren have always had the resources and philosophy required to field two fully competitive cars and have always sought the strongest possible driver line-ups they could engage.

The decision by the newly crowned world champion to leave the team built from the ashes of Honda by Ross Brawn came on the day it was officially announced that Mercedes-Benz had switched allegiances from McLaren and purchased a controlling interest in Brawn GP. They will field their cars under the Mercedes banner in 2010.

It had been widely thought that Button would remain with the team alongside Nico Rosberg, the preferred Mercedes nominee, for 2010 following Rubens Barrichello's move to Williams. But there are suggestions that Button was never at the top of the Mercedes wish list. In fact, on Sunday Norbert Haug, the Mercedes motor sport vice-president, hinted that the company was already in talks to sign Nick Heidfeld from BMW, raising the possibility of two Germans going head-to-head with two Englishmen for next year's championship. Nick Fry, Brawn's chief executive, played down those rumours tonight, saying: "I can confidently say that [speculation] is totally incorrect – Mercedes is an international company. Clearly a German driver would be nice for them but we don't need two German drivers, that's not the intent."

He added: "I hope Jenson is still with us next season. We've been together for a good few years now and we have succeeded in winning the world championship together and we want Jenson to be with us. But we have to recognise that Formula One is not divorced from the rest of the world. We have worked within a budget [and] if we spend in one area then we cannot spend in another area."

The purchase of Brawn was funded by Mercedes' parent company, Daimler AG, who will own 45.1% of the team's equity, while Ross Brawn and the other senior management will hold 24.9% and the Abu Dhabi-based Aarbar investments will hold 30%. The team will continue to be run from its headquarters at Brackley in Oxfordshire.

Under the new arrangements finalised today McLaren will have the facility of using Mercedes engines through to 2015 if they wish to. "This is a win-win situation, for both McLaren and Daimler," said Ron Dennis, chairman of the McLaren group and the man who originally forged the team's alliance with Mercedes back in 1995. "I've often stated that it's my belief that in order to survive and thrive in 21st-century Formula One a team must become much more than merely a team. In order to develop and sustain the revenue streams required to compete and win grands prix and world championships companies that run Formula One teams must broaden the scope of their commercial activities.

"Nonetheless, all of our partners will of course continue to play a crucial role in our Formula One programme. For that reason, and because the engines they produce are very competitive, we're delighted that Mercedes-Benz has committed to continue not only as an engine supplier but also as a partner of ours until 2015 – and perhaps thereafter."

McLaren will not be disadvantaged by no longer being perceived as Mercedes-Benz's standard bearer in the Formula One front line. They and Mercedes have gone their separate ways because of conflicting interests in the high-performance road car arena. But out on the circuits McLaren remains potentially a consistently formidable winning machine. Button knows this and that is why he will be driving one of their cars next season.

Jenson Button agrees to join McLaren on three-year, £6m-a-year deal | Sport | guardian.co.uk

F-Red

If thats true, not that i doubt the Guardian's ability to report news, then that would be a tasty 3 year McLaren team. Those two would probably up each others game by someway.

B Cantona

Desperate
That McClaren team would be an absolute cracker

There's no way Button can win a world title with them though, because Hamilton will beat him all day long

What's the score with the stupid medals system thing, is that meant to be coming back in? Last season Button would have won the Championship in Singapore, with three races left to go, instead of the situation where a Barrichello car without gremlins would likely have taken it to the final race of the season. It would have required Vettel or Barrichello to win all of the final 4 races following the Italian GP to beat him. It's just a piss poor system!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Massively different driving styles would make the car design more difficult though.

Also with no refuelling tyre management will be hugely important, something at which Jenson excels and Lewis, well, doesn't!

Good point about the medals, I'd forgotten about that - I'm not sure what is happening with it!