g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The F1 Thread 2014 Season

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Of course Lewis will want to win the final race of the season, but he needs someone in his ear telling him that no one will remember who won the last race in 5 years if he decides to coast to second.

However, they would remember a Lewis Hamilton screwing up and losing a championship on the final day should he make a mistake and hand the title to Rosberg. I feel bad saying handing it to Rosberg, because he has driven so well this entire season, but I don't think many believe he has been the better of the two drivers.

Just coast to second Lewis, please.

Dante

Average bang
There's a 99% chance that Hamilton will retire and Rosberg will be the least talented world champion in living memory.

Dante

Average bang
Jenson didn't win a single race in the last 10. It's fair enough that he had enough points to take the title in the end, but the lack of consistency is a huge black mark against him imo. I think he's shown himself to be a good but not great driver since.

Giggsy92

What's the difference between Jensons WDC and (assuming he wins) Lewis' this year?
Lewis has been up against Rosberg, Jenson was up against an ageing Rubens who had brake issues for the first half of the season? And Jenson didn't have a single mechanical DNF from what I remember.

gormless

That was hilarious.

Who's the worst world championion the last 20 years then? Damon Hill, Villeneuve or Jenson Button?
Jacques Villenueve without a doubt. Hill at least got close in other years and won a race in a fecking Arrows. Villenueve won his title based on there being a limit to Schumacher's ability to drive the wheels off a shit Ferrari, and also on his ingrained desire to crash into Championship rivals in the last race. Villenueve never came close again and spent the rest of his career being outshined by other drivers (including his BAR teammate Button who doesn't belong on that list. I agree he ain't great, but he is very good)

Giggsy92

Jenson didn't win a single race in the last 10. It's fair enough that he had enough points to take the title in the end, but the lack of consistency is a huge black mark against him imo. I think he's shown himself to be a good but not great driver since.
To be fair, the Red Bull was the dominant car from Silverstone onwards (apart from at Spa and Monza). Despite the Brawn's advantage at the start Vettel could well have won the title if he hadn't crashed out of a few races.

Of the four drivers who could realistically have won it Button had the best season, and I think he's shown since then he's a deserving champion.

Dante

Average bang
To be fair, the Red Bull was the dominant car from Silverstone onwards (apart from at Spa and Monza)
Even accounting for that, Jenson only won another 36 points for the rest of the season. By comparison, Barrichello got 47 in the same car.

JB was just lucky that he had a superior car that was perfectly suited to his driving style for 7 races. That's all it took for him to be world champion. Not enough to make him a great champion or even close to it.

Dante

Average bang
Also, why is it that the last 3 British Formula One World Champions have all had two surnames for names? That's some kind of Illuminati shit going on right there.

Jammydodger7

There's a 99% chance that Hamilton will retire and Rosberg will be the least talented world champion in living memory.
I think that's a bit harsh, he's shown this season that be can challenge Hamilton, especially these past two weeks when he has needed to win.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I don't REALLY care, but I kinda want Rosberg to win just so Jeremy Clarkson goes berserk.

Leg-End

To be fair, the Red Bull was the dominant car from Silverstone onwards (apart from at Spa and Monza). Despite the Brawn's advantage at the start Vettel could well have won the title if he hadn't crashed out of a few races.

Of the four drivers who could realistically have won it Button had the best season, and I think he's shown since then he's a deserving champion.
He also conveniently forgot to point out the Brawn received nowhere near the amount of upgrades those around them did because of finances, thats basically why their advantage was gone by mid-season. JB deserved that title as much as anyone, he was pretty much flawless all season.

Dante

Average bang
He also conveniently forgot to point out the Brawn received nowhere near the amount of upgrades those around them did because of finances, thats basically why their advantage was gone by mid-season. JB deserved that title as much as anyone, he was pretty much flawless all season.
If he were flawless, he would have got more points than Barrichello in the last 10 races. Button got 36 to RB's 47.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Even accounting for that, Jenson only won another 36 points for the rest of the season. By comparison, Barrichello got 47 in the same car.

JB was just lucky that he had a superior car that was perfectly suited to his driving style for 7 races. That's all it took for him to be world champion. Not enough to make him a great champion or even close to it.
Hamilton has had the same thing but for the whole season.

Button was a well worthy WDC.

vanthaman

Winner
Come on Lewis! Just follow Rosberg around the track and job will be done, bet he does something stupid though

Leg-End

If he were flawless, he would have got more points than Barrichello in the last 10 races. Button got 36 to RB's 47.
A gap skewed by a mental Grosjean at Spa. He won the world title, comfortably with very few individual errors all season.

Giggsy92

Deep down we all know Hamilton's going to DNF. Just a case of whether he bins it, has a car failure, or gets taken out.

Dante

Average bang
A gap skewed by a mental Grosjean at Spa. He won the world title, comfortably with very few individual errors all season.
Barrichello was still able to win at Valencia and Monza though. He had a competitive car but wasn't competitive enough on the track.
Hamilton has had the same thing but for the whole season.

Button was a well worthy WDC.
And won 10 out of 18 races so far. His consistency has been impressive.

I'm not saying Button didn't deserve it. I'm saying he's one of, if not the, worst Champion in the last 20 years.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
And it's over already. What a catastrophe of a start by Rosberg. Hamilton should cruise to the championship now.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Hard to believe people think it's over already....anything can happen!