The fanbase's role in the erosion of standards

Skills

Snitch
I understand that the prevailing sentiment is that 'as long as the Glazers remain, nothing will improve', emphasizing their decade-long influence. However, another constant element over the past decade is the club's fanbase. How significant has their influence been in the evident decline of the club's standards?

Despite numerous questionable actions and decisions by the club over the past decade, many have been defended and rationalized by the supporters.

Furthermore, our supporters have often downplayed significant concerns to defend underperforming managers. For instance, when Mourinho criticised the club's legacy, a significant portion of our supporters either agreed or tried to rationalise his outburst. Now, even major losses and embarrassing defeats are brushed off as mere bumps in the road.

How big of a role has our collective fanbase played in the current state of the club?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
We still have fans who suck off Bruno and rashford and call them workd class.

AgentSmith

You have played an enormous role in the erosion of the standard on here.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I wonder if anybody had -3 minutes in the "how soon after the match will there be a dogshit @Skills thread" sweepstake.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
City have managed to build this winning machine with a fanbase of a couple hundred so I think that proves fans have a limited role in a club's success.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Pellegrini, Conte and Ranieri win the PL in their first season in the PL.

This fanbase seems to think you can only win a PL in the 3rd year. Expectations are always top 4 first season, title challenge 2nd season, and actual title in 3rd season.

GazTheLegend

@Skills how big a role do you think man city's fanbase played in their -success-? fecking zero. How big a role did the 115 charges, the missed doping tests fines, etc etc play? A large one.

Acquire Me

City have managed to build this winning machine with a fanbase of a couple hundred so I think that proves fans have a limited role in a club's success.
Money money money. And lots of illegal and questionable stuff. That’s Man City. Just not bothered by them winning. They are obviously a better side. They got better footballing setup from top to bottom. But it’s no soul at all. It’s a house of cards.

Eriku

How many more managers need to fail before it becomes clear that there are deeper issues? Stuff that’s been neglected in favour of servicing debt and paying shareholders dividends?

As if us getting more vocal and forcing us to go through managers faster is going to solve our problems and turn our club around.

The notion that supporters actually being supportive of the club being a major contributor to our downfall is silly.

Dan_F

Damn. If only we’d been more critical of the manager, Lindelof wouldn’t have conceded about 10 chances at the back post today.

Canagel

They are one of if not the biggest problem. They killed me on this website for telling them the truth about Bruno Fernandes over 3 years ago but will go hiding when I start calling them out now.

Complete ignorance, lack of football knowledge and incapability to look at the big picture. You tell them what will happen long before it happens but it takes them ages to heed and even now some of them just keep making laughable statements.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I take full responsibility, I haven't set foot in Carrington in years.

DownRiver

Let’s be honest, the fans or Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham have NO say on how a team performs. All these clubs live in a bubble, where influence of the success comes from top to bottom. The fans are just money making part of this.

Son

We only got beat by a club who cheated last season and under Ole. Maybe we deserve more league titles?

That’s us at our worst too we should have a few more titles end of the day at our worst.

Liverpool definitely deserve an extra 2 or 3. City are hitting 100 points almost every single season cheating openly and happily.

How can we fight against corruption at a political level for outside investment in the UK? We’ve never had those standards because we’ve never cheated to win.

Us and especially liverpool recently are collateral on a larger picture for the sport. The people in power couldn’t care less. Money talks.

Do you honestly think we can compete with this City team or let’s be honest mob hijacking the sport?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just what you want after a miserable defeat, some nobody on the Internet blaming us!

IrishMcD

Watching all the fans clapping rashford off the pitch made me feel sick, not one person calling him out for being a lazy, greedy, selfish twat. Ajax, Bayern, Madrid, Barca, Milan fans make sure players know what standards should be met. Their Ultras would be paying them a visit at training.
Also convinced Glazers at any of those clubs would have been gone years ago. Matches would have been stopped, massive protests, empty stadiums. But not at United.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Money money money. And lots of illegal and questionable stuff. That’s Man City. Just not bothered by them winning. They are obviously a better side. They got better footballing setup from top to bottom. But it’s no soul at all. It’s a house of cards.
Of course. Although that always comes back to how poorly we've spent compared to them too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What a stupid post, come on. Fans are literally the same everywhere. They will be motivated when the team gives them something to motivate.

Zora

It has to be said that our fanbase is very mild in terms of demonstration of anger/frustration. Very tame to say the least
When was the last time you went to a game and protested before and afterwards?

I hate posts like this.

Baxquux

You're right, it's not the key factor but there are too many apologists for footballing and general structural mediocrity here. More than that, the ownership feels safe - if I've said this before, but until you start making owning the club more trouble than it's worth in terms of day to day comfort or even security then there's not much that's going to change. We've got a wide enough fan base, some of whom have enough resources, to make this happen, but amongst those with the means there are too many consumers rather than people invested in the notion of defending a community institution and heritage: Italian fanbases include amongst ultra crews who wouldn't stand for this sense of long-term immiseration without attempting to drive the owners out with metaphorical ( or otherwise) molatovs, but arguably neither would the Scousers.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The only role the fanbase has is making noise and showing support during games. The Manchester United crowd at Old Trafford has been dreadful this season.

black country red

Watching all the fans clapping rashford off the pitch made me feel sick, not one person calling him out for being a lazy, greedy, selfish twat. Ajax, Bayern, Madrid, Barca, Milan fans make sure players know what standards should be met. Their Ultras would be paying them a visit at training.
Also convinced Glazers at any of those clubs would have been gone years ago. Matches would have been stopped, massive protests, empty stadiums. But not at United.
Get down there and show them how it’s done