g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The fanbase's role in the erosion of standards

The Irish Connection

It’s true that some fans need to do more and make more sacrifices in regards to protesting and getting the glazers out.
A half empty stadium for a couple games would put the leeches under huge pressure.

IrishMcD

Get down there and show them how it’s done
Haven’t and won’t set foot in old Trafford until glazers are gone. So probably never again in my lifetime. Maybe it’s me that’s wrong, not saying it’s not, but just don’t get the smiling at Rashford and clapping him off the pitch every week. Same with Bruno. Drives me nuts. But maybe I’m just a miserable old shite

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I understand that the prevailing sentiment is that 'as long as the Glazers remain, nothing will improve', emphasizing their decade-long influence. However, another constant element over the past decade is the club's fanbase. How significant has their influence been in the evident decline of the club's standards?

Despite numerous questionable actions and decisions by the club over the past decade, many have been defended and rationalized by the supporters.

Furthermore, our supporters have often downplayed significant concerns to defend underperforming managers. For instance, when Mourinho criticised the club's legacy, a significant portion of our supporters either agreed or tried to rationalise his outburst. Now, even major losses and embarrassing defeats are brushed off as mere bumps in the road.

How big of a role has our collective fanbase played in the current state of the club?
Judging by the first two comments, you aren't going to get a rational, mature answer.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I was just thinking the same thing earlier when the fans around me were singing 'Viva Garnacho' after he lost possession. I instead decided to boo him and I didn't get any strange looks at all. Standards.

neon_badger

I did witness a few people in green and gold scarfs quaffing champagne in a corporate suite, thankfully they're a tiny minority. It's very easy to call out supporters on an internet forum, I'd suggest if you really believe what your saying go to Toll Gate and tell them directly, I'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
It's always funny when people start threads like these.

Uniteds support, for all my own criticism at times, has done far more than other teams in England. Going back to the anti PLC stuff in the 90s, fighting Murdoch in 98, a constant (if ineffective) protest against the Glazers.

The issue in this country with fan protests is the draconian FBO rules. If you get caught doing something stupid during one of these protests you can end up with a three year banning order and you also have to give your passport in to the police every time United or England play in Europe. A friend of mine had to cancel a family holiday last year because it clashed with United in Sevilla and that meant he essentially had to stay in the UK.

For most people, the end goal (does anyone know what that actually is?) isn't worth all that hell and, as a result, they end up not getting involved with anything meaningful.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It’s true that some fans need to do more and make more sacrifices in regards to protesting and getting the glazers out.
A half empty stadium for a couple games would put the leeches under huge pressure.
No it wouldn't, we played a year at OT with no fans and it made feck all difference

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
No. They have the best players in the world. You can be a top team and have shit fans.
Part of the reason is that the Real fans demand the highest standards from everyone involved in the club and will make themselves heard whenever someone is not up to it. They wouldn't care about the price tag of a player, the CV of a manager or any of that stuff, they care about the actual performances they see. Whoever is not up to it is getting sidelined at least.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
How big of a role has our collective fanbase played in the current state of the club?
Very big. We give the Glazers money in return for sh1t so they keep giving us sh1t. That's capitalism.

fallengt

Can the old trafford crowd boo the ref once in awhile. Awful decisions first half and they were dead silent.
That's how you'd get bullied often

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I agree that our fans are generally passive and have low standards - probably the most forgiving fanbase in the world, to be honest.

I don't think it has any impact on our situation though. The Glazers have shown time and time again that they don't give a shit about fan sentiment.

Remember the geese

Part of the reason is that the Real fans demand the highest standards from everyone involved in the club and will make themselves heard whenever someone is not up to it. They wouldn't care about the price tag of a player, the CV of a manager or any of that stuff, they care about the actual performances they see. Whoever is not up to it is getting sidelined at least.
There are plenty of entitled fans out there. Doesn't make them special.

JoaquinJoaquin

You only have to look at situations such as the fans still clapping Moyes down the tunnel weeks before he was sacked, Bruno still getting his name chanted every time he takes a set piece and the change of stance on Jim coming in to show how forgiving and soft our fan base is at times.

However, at the same time there is only so much the fans can do when you have the parasite owners we do.

Overall though, I would say, the likes of PSG or Real Madrid fans would not accept anything near what ours do, so make of that what you will.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Uncomfortable conversations. As I wrote in the matchday thread, just a soft fanbase.

If that ref pulled that shite at Liverpool's stadium, he'd need protection for years to come in the area and Liverpool would be sending in their lawyers next day.

Remember the geese

True, they are not special.

Special are those fans that support mediocrity and expect to become a top team if they just believe in it.
No. The fans are pretty powerless in the scheme of things. Just there for the ride. You can have a passionate fanbase and be a wretched team.

Superunknown

Oh, man. I had no idea. I'm sorry. My deepest apologies.

There, that'll do it. We'll win the league now.

Lost bear

Watching all the fans clapping rashford off the pitch made me feel sick, not one person calling him out for being a lazy, greedy, selfish twat. Ajax, Bayern, Madrid, Barca, Milan fans make sure players know what standards should be met. Their Ultras would be paying them a visit at training.
Also convinced Glazers at any of those clubs would have been gone years ago. Matches would have been stopped, massive protests, empty stadiums. But not at United.
It’s the English way. Put up and live in quiet desperation.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
No. The fans are pretty powerless in the scheme of things. Just there for the ride. You can have a passionate fanbase and be a wretched team.
Well, that is true for United but not for Real. United is a privately owned business, Real Madrid is a club controlled by the fans (just like Barcelona or Bayern as well). It is one of the huge problems of English football culture that you just accepted becoming fans of entertainment businesses and got rid of the concept of a football club consisting of real people.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I agree. The fanbase is culpable, easily give up putting pressure on the owners after a few million is spent on shiny new toys.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's an uncomfortable conversation which is why some people are telling you to feck off or downplaying it, but it's my belief that you're correct, we've accepted mediocrity for too long meekly, myself included.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i blame each and every one of you.

Baxquux

Well, that is true for United but not for Real. United is a privately owned business, Real Madrid is a club controlled by the fans (just like Barcelona or Bayern as well). It is one of the huge problems of English football culture that you just accepted becoming fans of entertainment businesses and got rid of the concept of a football club consisting of real people.
[/QUOTE
These people aren't unassailable. They have business interests, they have homes, they're flesh and blood, however much they try and transform themselves into some corporate entity. Joel Glazer was strolling around New York a few weeks ago. There are always ways.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Far too easy to post ridiculous comments on here when (I hope nobody takes offence to this) you're sat a million miles away from Manchester. What have any of you lot done to improve standards? Why should matchgoing fans be the ones to decide whether Rashford or Fernandes should be dropped?

It’s the English way. Put up and live in quiet desperation.
And I said further up, when you get lose your livelihood through getting a bit giddy at a protest, it becomes easier to explain why fans have become more passive.

Our fans are powerless. If they had meaningful power, the Glazers would never have arrived. Its the same everywhere else.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Uncomfortable conversations. As I wrote in the matchday thread, just a soft fanbase.

If that ref pulled that shite at Liverpool's stadium, he'd need protection for years to come in the area and Liverpool would be sending in their lawyers next day.
Soft how exactly?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
These people aren't unassailable. They have business interests, they have homes, they're flesh and blood, however much they try and transform themselves into some corporate entity. Joel Glazer was strolling around New York a few weeks ago. There are always ways.
The only legal things you can do is put up protest signs and stop watching and buying merch. The Real fans can just vote Perez out of power and elect a new president if he doesn't deliver any longer. That's a huge difference in leverage and what English football has lost by allowing clubs to turn into companies.

Lost bear

Far too easy to post ridiculous things like this on here when (I hope nobody takes offence to this) you're sat a million miles away from Manchester

And I said further up, when you get lose your livelihood through getting a bit giddy at a protest, it becomes easier to explain why fans have become more passive.

Our fans are powerless. If they had meaningful power, the Glazers would never have arrived. Its the same everywhere else.
Well yes. The whereabouts of power is a complex question, but we have it in the same sense as the supporters in Munich and Madrid do. We have to exercise it, though. The powerless in this country could potentially seize power: certainly in the case of a football club.
More broadly, the powerless voted in the current government, which has worked hard to keep them powerless. Not really sure what point you’re making in the above- you think my comment was ridiculous, but you appear to be saying the same thing in different terms?

UnitedFan93

It's very easy...don't buy a new shirt each year, don't renew your season ticket each year. Haven't done for years now and will only go back to Old Trafford when we're under new ownership. Fans can do so much more.