The fanbase's role in the erosion of standards

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Cheers pal and good points well made.

I think progress has been made with protests, there's a lot more awareness in the media now than there ever has been. With the Liverpool protest and consistently protesting since, and the togetherness of the reaction to the European Super League proposal and some of the ex-players speaking up - definitely contributed to the gimps 'reviewing their position' (or whatever it was they called it) - it forced the gimps into having to publicly address fans and consider options they clearly don't want to take.

Like you say, I think in terms of match going reds - they too have also been divided and conquered into two categories (a) thugs or (b) fans that bury their head in the sand. The reality is, most of our fans are actually neither, but groups like 1958 that are trying to drive a 3rd narrative, that we the fans are supporting the footballing side of the club whilst opposing the business side of the club - are not being backed enough imo.

There seems to be interest in what the 1958 are doing after a defeat, or if a transfer window is looking a bit crap - but they need more support. If collectively in November (for example) there were 500,000 less followers across all the social media platforms for the club, and The 1958 were able to use their platform to communicate this as an example of fans are coming together to hit the Glazers where it hurts them, then I believe they would shit themselves.

We just need the majority of our fanbase in one collective camp, then we will see some change.
It's all a bit of a mess

I think everyone is almost in agreement that the Liverpool protest happened because the fans were able to unite against one key issue (the ESL). There was also a lot of built up aggression from being locked down for over a year.

With the Glazers, it's a lot harder when everyone has different views on what happens next. I know veterans from the 2005 protests who felt uneasy about getting behind something that they felt was overtly pro Qatar.

Others are shattered and just want to enjoy their lives (many away from football).

What you're left with now is a support that has lost many of its rebellious fans and they haven't been replaced, almost as if that's been entirely by design from United's perspective. Even then, our fans have done more than almost all clubs in the UK. Achieving anything is always going to be hard.

Last edited:

UnitedFan93

Full house again at Old Trafford tonight. Glazers laughing all the way to the bank.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
There's another angle to this which I've pointed out in some posts previously.

With most fanbases, debate on the manager's future isn't any different from debate on new signings, lineups, players to sell, contract renewals, etc. Sure, there's often an emotional aspect to it, and people will call each other idiots/muppets/other insults if they disagree, but that's about as far as it'll go.

With our fanbase, any discussion on the manager takes on a moral, quasi-religious angle. Up until the point of no return, fans who want the manager sacked are derided as "vile", "beneath contempt", "shit fans who deserve everything they get". This was the case for Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole, and now ETH.

It's as if the manager is a cult leader or religious figure rather than a club employee. Not a healthy way of viewing things at all.

And it's not unique to the Caf. You see the same mentality on the reddevils subreddit and other United spaces online.

AFC NimbleThumb

There's another angle to this which I've pointed out in some posts previously.

With most fanbases, debate on the manager's future isn't any different from debate on new signings, lineups, players to sell, contract renewals, etc. Sure, there's often an emotional aspect to it, and people will call each other idiots/muppets/other insults if they disagree, but that's about as far as it'll go.

With our fanbase, any discussion on the manager takes on a moral, quasi-religious angle. Up until the point of no return, fans who want the manager sacked are derided as "vile", "beneath contempt", "shit fans who deserve everything they get". This was the case for Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole, and now ETH.

It's as if the manager is a cult leader or religious figure rather than a club employee. Not a healthy way of viewing things at all.

And it's not unique to the Caf. You see the same mentality on the reddevils subreddit and other United spaces online.
People who spent years being called ‘Glory Hunters’ are wearing this period as a badge of martyrdom. Sticking by ‘the manager’ in spite of actual performance is the right thing to do.

I’ve mentioned it a few times but Andy Mitten sums up this fanbase perfectly, we don’t really like each other much.

Baxquux

People who spent years being called ‘Glory Hunters’ are wearing this period as a badge of martyrdom. Sticking by ‘the manager’ in spite of actual performance is the right thing to do.

I’ve mentioned it a few times but Andy Mitten sums up this fanbase perfectly, we don’t really like each other much.
I would say this applies to changes in ownership too. So much signalling of virtue here, from people with little to no clue about politics or international relations or specifically about the relationship between business people and governments in the ME (or about, conversely, the equally close, sometimes closer, ties between business people and governments in the UK and US, and the effects upon democracy). There was a fine long read on Ratcliffe today; the Glazers, meanwhile, have done to the club and contributed to the 'doing to' Us democracy what he's done to the environment and, to an extent, contributed towards in British politics..

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Its a bit like saying the factory worker has had an influence on the CEO deciding to switch manufacturing one product to another.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Manchester United have lost over half of their matches in all competitions this season and we're in November. And over 70% of fans are happy to stick with Ten Hag. Our fans have 0 standards.

Of course there are more problems than Ten Hag but how anyone sees him turning it around to me is baffling.

Skills

Snitch

I realised this a few years ago. The worst part about supporting this club is the clubs fanbase - it's thoroughly dislikeable as a collective group.

AFC NimbleThumb

I would say this applies to changes in ownership too. So much signalling of virtue here, from people with little to no clue about politics or international relations or specifically about the relationship between business people and governments in the ME (or about, conversely, the equally close, sometimes closer, ties between business people and governments in the UK and US, and the effects upon democracy). There was a fine long read on Ratcliffe today; the Glazers, meanwhile, have done to the club and contributed to the 'doing to' Us democracy what he's done to the environment and, to an extent, contributed towards in British politics..
I asked countless posters who made criticisms about Human Rights in Qatar how they felt about Petro-Chemical companies impacts on the communities they drill in & their Human Rights, each time greeted by crickets.

The ownership thread is actually fun as posters act like we don’t already spend more money than 99.9% of world football anyway, we just spend it terribly.

The fact you couldn’t be anti-Ratcliffe & that 25% debacle without being labelled as wanting disneyland sums this fanbase up perfectly. You disagree with someone & you have to be their polar opposite.

I realised this a few years ago. The worst part about supporting this club is the clubs fanbase - it's thoroughly dislikeable as a collective group.
It really kicked in for me when I joined this forum. I’ve reconsidered going to games because of it.

Utd7

To a certain extent I understand the OP’s point. Fans can help hold the club accountable with their actions. By booing/whistling or not showing up. Real Madrid fans do this well and it actually works.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It really kicked in for me when I joined this forum. I’ve reconsidered going to games because of it.
How representative of the fanbase as a whole is the online community though?

Because at least from my experience, I've met United fans all over the world in real life and for the most part they've been wonderful people who I've enjoyed discussing football with.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

The moment me and a couple of others suggested in the sale thread that watching us nowadays is somewhat of a pointless exercise because we're so shit and have little to no prospect for improving in the short (and now with the lack of full sale), medium and long term I am apparently a gloryhunter.

Some people are just wired differently and I'll leave it there because I'll get banned.

croadyman

Well at least they can't be accused of being glory hunters anymore. Fair play to them they are true fans but sometimes I wish they could show dissent like the foreign fans do.
Problem was even IF matchgoers boycotted then the club know a day tripper will happily pick up the seat instead so no loss

Skills

Snitch
Mediocrity is celebrated. Failure is excused.

Manchester United fanbase's role in the clubs demise in the last 10 years.

Pickle85

Mediocrity is celebrated. Failure is excused.

Manchester United fanbase's role in the clubs demise in the last 10 years.
Who's celebrating? Wumming on a Saturday night? Get out and about lad.

Bobski

Imagine having the ego to think posts on a forum (itself a format relic in social media history) has any impact on decisions made by Utd.

Pickle85

How do you know Im not?
Feel bit weird but turning negative feeling into positive one is good for your health
I like this take tbf. Celebrating our downfall is odd but I guess let's make a party of it?!

M Bison

Supports
York City
Yeah it’s the fans fault.

nothing to do with the players or ownership, they’re completely absolved from all responsibility :rolleyes:

RedDevilQuebecois

I will give stick to the matchgoers today. That "top red" mentality was pathetic on television when I saw people singing songs of praise (WTF?) and clapping like a bunch of circus seals instead of taking the last few minutes of the match to vent all of the anger at the players. The only sound I wanted to hear inside Old Trafford after the 3rd goal was a good chunk of the crowd angrily chanting "You're not fit to wear the shirt" upon the whole team. I also said in the match thread that the vitriol must also be spewed up close and personal to the players because nothing will change until they taste it, as it would be done in places like Barcelona or Madrid.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I will give stick to the matchgoers today. That "top red" mentality was pathetic on television when I saw people singing songs of praise (WTF?) and clapping like a bunch of circus seals instead of taking the last few minutes of the match to vent all of the anger at the players. The only sound I wanted to hear inside Old Trafford after the 3rd goal was a good chunk of the crowd angrily chanting "You're not fit to wear the shirt" upon the whole team. I also said in the match thread that the vitriol must also be spewed up close and personal to the players because nothing will change until they taste it, as it would be done in places like Barcelona or Madrid.
You should buy a ticket and go show them how it's done