The fanbase's role in the erosion of standards

black country red

Being a match going fan wether home or away is in your blood you can’t just switch off United have got some of the most loyal fans in Europe even in the second division days the regular 50,000 plus game some 60,000 which probably is a record for that level which will probably never be beat. The has been worse times than this hopefully it will change soon but like thousands of others i will continue to go and support my team whenever I get the chance keep the red flag flying high

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Being a match going fan wether home or away is in your blood you can’t just switch off United have got some of the most loyal fans in Europe even in the second division days the regular 50,000 plus game some 60,000 which probably is a record for that level which will probably never be beat. The has been worse times than this hopefully it will change soon but like thousands of others i will continue to go and support my team whenever I get the chance keep the red flag flying high
Schalke averages about 61,000 per match, Hamburg 55,000 per match in the current season of the 2nd Bundesliga. The numbers you mention are still impressive, but not record breaking in Europe (and I didn't bother to look up earlier seasons now)

Lee565

The problem is the glazers keep getting reprieve from our fans whenever we have good spells, we are too soft on everyone at the club compared to how Bayern qnd madrid fans react and it will happen again if Jim comes in and turns around our fortune but fans need to relentlessly turn the heat up on them to go.

USREDEVIL

The problem is the glazers keep getting reprieve from our fans whenever we have good spells, we are too soft on everyone at the club compared to how Bayern qnd madrid fans react and it will happen again if Jim comes in and turns around our fortune but fans need to relentlessly turn the heat up on them to go.
I mean, we've had protests, the match going fans have often had signs and yelled things, they can only do so much without getting thrown out the stadium. Also, at the end of the day, there's some acceptance that we cannot force the Glazers out really. It would take the kind of concerted and dramatic effort that would be extremely hard to organize with the size of fanbase that we have.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I do think over the last 15/20 years, football fans in the UK have become more passive. And that's not necessarily just with protests. Atmospheres have declined, fans go to matches expecting to be entertained and for some, a day at the match is now more akin to day at the Theatre.

I mean, we've had protests, the match going fans have often had signs and yelled things, they can only do so much without getting thrown out the stadium. Also, at the end of the day, there's some acceptance that we cannot force the Glazers out really. It would take the kind of concerted and dramatic effort that would be extremely hard to organize with the size of fanbase that we have.
Agreed

People, who won't get involved in anything themselves, love telling matchgoing fans to essentially risk arrest and ruin their livelihoods.

Dannn411

The fanbase has played a major major role in the erosion of standards for sure. Nobody fears backlash when they perform poorly here because our fans swallow crap and smile back happily season after season. Real Madrid fans would have razed half the stadium to the ground if they finished 7th/8th even once in La Liga let alone multiple times. Our lot play like horse dung every other game and don't even acknowledge fans who have spent all their savings just to watch them play.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
What do we mean by standards here?

Because it seems from the amount of times Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are brought up, and the sneering at the fact the last season has to go down as one of our best seasons in the past decade, that lots of people think our 10 year slide since Ferguson has retired is an irrelevant factor to what fans should realistically expect from the team in the short term, or indeed celebrate.

McTerminator

I understand that the prevailing sentiment is that 'as long as the Glazers remain, nothing will improve', emphasizing their decade-long influence. However, another constant element over the past decade is the club's fanbase. How significant has their influence been in the evident decline of the club's standards?

Despite numerous questionable actions and decisions by the club over the past decade, many have been defended and rationalized by the supporters.

Furthermore, our supporters have often downplayed significant concerns to defend underperforming managers. For instance, when Mourinho criticised the club's legacy, a significant portion of our supporters either agreed or tried to rationalise his outburst. Now, even major losses and embarrassing defeats are brushed off as mere bumps in the road.

How big of a role has our collective fanbase played in the current state of the club?
If there were no fans the club would evidently have won every league title for the last decade…

You absolute tool.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Team and manager clapped off the pitch after finishing last in a CL group that should've been a cakewalk.

I think some of you owe OP an apology.

Irwin99

Fans are fine when they can see effort and there wasn’t a shortage of that tonight just a dire lack of quality in the attack and midfield. Absolutely dire chance creation and threat.

DownRiver

I can’t believe that everything just seems so normal from the fans and the media. Blaming injuries is just an excuse. Everyone is just waiting for Ratcliffe to come in and see what he can do.

edgecutter

Team and manager clapped off the pitch after finishing last in a CL group that should've been a cakewalk.

I think some of you owe OP an apology.
The club that just went through in this group is worth less than what we paid for Hojlund, Mount and Onana. Let that sink in. How the fans just clap the players off knowing they will pick up more money for tonight's match than most of them will earn in 3 years worth of work.

Yorke to Cole

I am now beginning there is a large proportion of fans have been passive to say the least in demanding standards. People seemed to blinded and settling for signings; Ronaldo etc..

It is also why the momentum of Glazer out has eroded again.

I do not see a unified direction for sporting success between different demographics of supporters and the club itself.

All in all it is shyte.

Skills

Snitch
I am now beginning there is a large proportion of fans have been passive to say the least in demanding standards. People seemed to blinded and settling for signings; Ronaldo etc..

It is also why the momentum of Glazer out has eroded again.

I do not see a unified direction for sporting success between different demographics of supporters and the club itself.

All in all it is shyte.
There's a small portion of our fans that want the club to be successful as the priority.

Then there's a majority of our fans that want a long term manager, and the club's success as a by-product of that.

Appletonred

Real Madrid fans would not put up with this but it would take relegation for this fan base to turn up the heat on the Glazers...

Yorke to Cole

There's a small portion of our fans that want the club to be successful as the priority.

Then there's a majority of our fans that want a manager to be successful, and the club's success as a by-product of that.

So what are you saying?

Surely your first sentence should be fundamental with sporting excellence at the top?

When I write what I believe in relation to this topic, I see Real Madrid fans waving white hankies and being really intolerant of poor performances.

Then I compare that with a match at Old Trafford and I have seen this season, a twat with fecking phone filming round the stadium when we are 2-0 down.

JagUTD

No offence to any of us, myself included but United fans are the strongest argument against fan ownership there is.

Yorke to Cole

Real Madrid fans would not put up with this but it would take relegation for this fan base to turn up the heat on the Glazers...
Exactly. I do think the fans have pacified. I think everyone in and around the club, including those working in the club need a kick up the arse.

It needs a culture reset.

Revan

Assumptionman
No offence to any of us, myself included but United fans are the strongest argument against fan ownership there is.
If United was fan-owned, especially local-fans owned, we would still be managed by Moyes IMO. For many, if not most fans, the loyalty first stands with the manager, not the club.

JagUTD

If United was fan-owned, especially local-fans owned, we would still be managed by Moyes IMO. For many, if not most fans, the loyalty first stands with the manager, not the club.
Honestly, would we be in that different a position if we had done?

Or any of the managers we have had. If we had just gone with it?

It just seems impossible to build on anything positive at the club.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Honestly, would we be in that different a position if we had done?

Or any of the managers we have had. If we had just gone with it?

It just seems impossible to build on anything positive at the club.
If you think about this, also consider the dividends the Glazers took and would have stayed available for the club if it was fan owned.

JagUTD

If you think about this, also consider the dividends the Glazers took and would have stayed available for the club if it was fan owned.
I'll just go and check who United fa s have wanted to sign over the past decade...

Jesus, probably should have just burned the money.

Skills

Snitch
So what are you saying?

Surely your first sentence should be fundamental with sporting excellence at the top?
That our fanbase has got their priorities completely wrong.

If you surveyed our fans, on whether they'd win 1 title in 10 years with a sole manager. Or they'd rather win 2 titles over that period with 7-8 managers - I know which option the majority of our fanbase would go for.

The manager seat is always bigger than the club.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'll just go and check who United fa s have wanted to sign over the past decade...

Jesus, probably should have just burned the money.
Isn't Old Trafford on the way to becoming a ruin? Isn't there criticism about the training facilities? Money doesn't have to be spend on players only, and I believe especially matchgoing fans would make sure that they go into an at least decent stadium, wouldn't they?

But yes, there is always a risk that fan-owned clubs can go into a downward spiral, especially if they are chasing past glories. Lots of examples of that in Germany (Schalke, Hamburg, 1860 München, Kaiserslautern...)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I for one feel personally responsible for this loss. First and foremost I'm a United fan. This is my club. I'm so proud to post on the internet in support of this shirt but there are no excuses, it's just not good enough and to every single fan around the world that tuned in today, I'm just so sorry. You deserve so much better than that. I would have stayed away from Redcafe tonight but you deserve to hear from me during the highs and the lows, there is no hiding. I feel horrible but I promise you I will do better.

Skills

Snitch
Isn't Old Trafford on the way to becoming a ruin? Isn't there criticism about the training facilities? Money doesn't have to be spend on players only, and I believe especially matchgoing fans would make sure that they go into an at least decent stadium, wouldn't they?

But yes, there is always a risk that fan-owned clubs can go into a downward spiral, especially if they are chasing past glories. Lots of examples of that in Germany (Schalke, Hamburg, 1860 München, Kaiserslautern...)
Not as much as people want you to believe.

JagUTD

Worst state it's been in since it was bombed. There are castle ruins in better condition. Put it this way, nobody
sings about London bridge falling down anymore.

*The above may be a slight exaggeration of the facts but not as exaggerated as some claims.*

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
We just accept defeats now. Look at OT yesterday, it was dead because the fans knew we would lose.

Every away game against a top team, we expect a defeat.

Against Liverpool, not only a defeat but we expect a heavy one.

How has this allowed to happen without any consequences for those incharge??

Skills

Snitch
You can blame the ownership all you want, the fanbase has repeatedly excused absolute failure, celebrated mediocrity and year on year eroded whatever standards the club might have had one day.

We're a resource rich club with the culture and fanbase of a midtable one. Nothing will change under the new ownership as long as they're swayed by the generally wrong opinions of the most vocal sections of our fanbase.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Don't blame the fans, they don't train the players
The fans were a big difference today. Coventry would have had no chance without their support. At 3-0 it still felt like we were playing away with no fans allowed.

Shouldn't have mattered but it did.

Chumpsbechumps

Don't blame the fans, they don't train the players
Not just that, the glazers don’t give a flying f**k what the fans think.

You have to have a low IQ to think that United fans have been anyway responsible for anything relating to the United managers.

hobbers

Still be football novices even after today who think we need to give him another year for the new structure to "gel" and then another year for the new signings to "gel".