The Fifth Redcafe Sheep Draft SF - 2mufc0 vs. Indnyc/crappycraperson

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
  1. To tackle
  2. To receive the ball
  3. To pass the ball
  4. Off the ball movement to either receive,pass or tackle
  5. Shoot at goal if needed
  6. Protect the left centre of midfield
Insightful.

I just don't think that midfield needed another playmaker — Charlton-Modric-Varela is a brilliant midfield three, especially with Junior on the left. And, however unsuited Junior and Lahm are for a back 5, trying to compensate the luck of width by going to a back 4...

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Maybe, just think "player A won't be able to cope with player B" adds nothing while "player B was excellent at man marking so ideally suited for player A" does?

Your post (above) is fine and I'm also a huge fan of Baresi (and Maldini fwiw) though not sure about the bold bit.... tmi.:)
Tbh I try to avoid that but it's hard not to respond back when videos are being posted of a 34 year old Lahm getting outpaced by Cr7.

And I just read back the bit in bold :lol:.

But in all seriousness it would be a great combo, and with the extra man in midfield and all of my midfielders keep the ball so well the team is also likely to dominate the midfield meaning more possession and chances for my front 3.

MJJ

Insightful.

I just don't think that midfield needed another playmaker — Charlton-Modric-Varela is a brilliant midfield three, especially with Junior on the left. And, however unsuited Junior and Lahm are for a back 5, trying to compensate the luck of width by going to a back 4...
In my opinion, you can never really have enough playmakers like no harm having two players who can spray the ball around. Against a one striker formation, with that striker being lewa, I would have played an extra mid too compared to an extra defender.

Varela, based on OP, would be taking platini out of the game whereas gerson,modric and charlton can run the game. I dont like team indnycrappy strategy of stiles man-marking eusebio, leaving the midfield battle to neeskens and platini.

harms

Staff
In my opinion, you can never really have enough playmakers like no harm having two players who can spray the ball around. Against a one striker formation, with that striker being lewa, I would have played an extra mid too compared to an extra defender.

Varela, based on OP, would be taking platini out of the game whereas gerson,modric and charlton can run the game. I dont like team indnycrappy strategy of stiles man-marking eusebio, leaving the midfield battle to neeskens and platini.
Don't think that a

Ronaldo-Lewa
Platini
formation can be described as a 1-striker formation. I understand that Gerson is a better midfielder than Jack Charlton is a center back, but tactically it's a misfit in my book.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Already made most of my comments on the @2mufc0 team in the previous round and since then he's added Ronaldo. Crappy has a really good team I just feel he's ever so slightly outmatched in this one.

Indnyc

The big advantage for our team is the ability for stretching the game with Amoros and Cabrini.. Junior is known to drift inside and act as a playmaker so there isn’t natural width on the left and Lahm is contending with Cristiano and Cabrini. Amoros is amongst few players capable of running the flank on his own and given the lack of threat on the left will spend a lot of time attacking.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Don't think that a

Ronaldo-Lewa
Platini
formation can be described as a 1-striker formation. I understand that Gerson is a better midfielder than Jack Charlton is a center back, but tactically it's a misfit in my book.
Don't see how this is an issue, I would say my midfield composition is similar to Real Madrid who also play with 2 play makers and a DM. Why? There are many reasons primary being controlling the midfield.

harms

Staff
Don't see how this is an issue, I would say my midfield composition is similar to Real Madrid who also play with 2 play makers and a DM. Why? There are many reasons primary being controlling the midfield.
You have 3 playmakers (Charlton, Modric and Gerson) — while opting for a back four made your width issues even more prominent

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
You have 3 playmakers (Charlton, Modric and Gerson) — while opting for a back four made your width issues even more prominent
In this midfield it actually release SBC to a more free role especially when the opposition is playing a 2 man midfield. There's no such thing as having 'too many playmakers' plenty of teams have been successful having more than 3 ball players in their team. I mean the team Gerson actually played in for Brazil had like 6 playmakers didn't work out too badly for them.

Don't agree, both full backs can provide width, although Leo is not a traditional run to the corner flag full back he primarily will be on the left providing width. Lahm is capable of manning the flank by himself and I have 2 strikers who like to play in the channels, so no I don't see a width issue.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Tbh I try to avoid that but it's hard not to respond back when videos are being posted of a 34 year old Lahm getting outpaced by Cr7.

And I just read back the bit in bold :lol:.

But in all seriousness it would be a great combo, and with the extra man in midfield and all of my midfielders keep the ball so well the team is also likely to dominate the midfield meaning more possession and chances for my front 3.
34 year old hahah.. jeez don't at least try to misrepresent facts this openly. Lahm was far from 34 when he faced Ronaldo in other matches.

Age across all ties - 28, 30, 33

He was at least at his peak till 30 when he also won the WC with Germany in 2014.

Last edited:

crappycraperson

Scout
Already made most of my comments on the @2mufc0 team in the previous round and since then he's added Ronaldo. Crappy has a really good team I just feel he's ever so slightly outmatched in this one.
Fair play mate, your vote. I think our set up has an advantage over his. I also believe having Platini gives us the edge in terms of personnel as well.

crappycraperson

Scout

There is no strategy of man marking Eusebio, that has already been clarified in the thread. What indync meant in the write up and what you and 2mufc have inferred are 2 different things. Indync's line in writeup was a nod to Stiles' performance against Eusebio. If wanted to man mark Eusebio we would have deliberately called it out in bold letters. No need to invent opposition tactics to suit your team.

crappycraperson

Scout
What's the point of Gerson here?
I don't think his diamond works that well but I have a clear bias. Would welcome others' comments over the same.

I would re-emphasize his lack of width here. Lahm has to defend against Cabrini and C.Ron, at least one at most times. And he is the only player he has to stretch the play properly. Otherwise a team of attacks mostly focused on attacking central area will run into a very strong defensive spine.

Enigma_87

You know who
Don't think that a

Ronaldo-Lewa
Platini
Agreed. I really don't see what Gerson adds here. :confused:

It actually looks even worse than the midfield in the previous game.

MJJ

Don't think that a

Ronaldo-Lewa
Platini
I think he has three attackers but it is a one striker attack for me(Ronaldo=Wing-forward, Platini=Am). Guess comes down to how you define a striker.

There is no strategy of man marking Eusebio, that has already been clarified in the thread. What indync meant in the write up and what you and 2mufc have inferred are 2 different things. Indync's line in writeup was a nod to Stiles' performance against Eusebio. If wanted to man mark Eusebio we would have deliberately called it out in bold letters. No need to invent opposition tactics to suit your team.
In that case you really should update the OP as stiles played a specific role in that match. Its like me saying herrera is playing against hazard like he did last year and then get annoyed at people thinking its a man marking role.

crappycraperson

Scout
I think he has three attackers but it is a one striker attack for me(Ronaldo=Wing-forward, Platini=Am). Guess comes down to how you define a striker.

In that case you really should update the OP as stiles played a specific role in that match. Its like me saying herrera is playing against hazard like he did last year and then get annoyed at people thinking its a man marking role.
Why would we lie if that's what we wanted to do? :lol: Asking Stiles to mark him when we have Maldini in the team, already shutting down that channel, would be completely crazy. I once lost a match up because Viva (and I) decided to man mark Maradona with Redondo.. which was then ripped to shreds by everyone. Learnt my lesson then, no man marking tactics for moi.

MJJ

Why would we lie if that's what we wanted to do? :lol: Asking Stiles to mark him when we have Maldini in the team, already shutting down that channel, would be completely crazy. I once lost a match up because Viva (and I) decided to man mark Maradona with Redondo.. which was then ripped to shreds by everyone. Learnt my lesson then, no man marking tactics for moi.
I am not saying you are lying, I am saying make your OP clear because that is the clear inference somebody gets from it.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
This kind of question is hard to answer in one-off matches IMO. At the end of the day if one thinks this is likely to finish 1-0 the only one player in my team can get on the scoreboard. We do believe that if you were to play the same match up 38/40 times, Platini can replicate his Juve numbers. I personally don't agree with this assertion that man to man you must replicate Juve system to get the same numbers. Even France 84 was not an exact replica of Juve's system and that was Platini's best performance ever many would say. But discounting that, Platini even in a pure 10 role is second only to Maradona. Here he also has Neeskens for company, an upgrade over Griesse/Tigana at France NT.
I do agree with @Gio. You are again failing to see how Platini's goalscoring was a function of how the frontline was set up. France's two up top operated in a pretty much identical way as Juve's two up top with a designated striker with great movement and the other playing from in to out to drag defenders and create the gaps Platini relished.

It's not a damning criticism anyway. The midfield is very well constructed and, as you point out, the main deviation from zona mista works relatively well seeing as there would be no point in fielding a defensive RB.

Different from last game, you face two great forwards, so the three at the back does make sense here.

antohan

What's the point of Gerson here?
I have absolutely no idea. Simeone would have been a far better choice. Even if you insisted on him, then it should be Modric-Gerson at least as matching up Gerson with Neeskens is suicidal.

antohan

1. To tackle
  2. To receive the ball
  3. To pass the ball
  4. Off the ball movement to either receive,pass or tackle
  5. Shoot at goal if needed
  6. Protect the left centre of midfield
Am I wrong in sensing you've been an undeclared AM throughout?

MJJ

Yes I'm wrong or yes you are?

You've come across awfully one-sided throughout.
Yes you are wrong.

Have I? I have barely posted other than calling you out on the baresi nonsense and (wrongly) pointing out the stupidity of playing styles as a man-marking dm.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I have absolutely no idea. Simeone would have been a far better choice. Even if you insisted on him, then it should be Modric-Gerson at least as matching up Gerson with Neeskens is suicidal.
If I played Simeone people would say 'why do you need Simeone when you have Varela'. Gerson is the superior footballer and will put in a defensive shift too, playing these 3 in midfield help control proceedings and outnumber the opposition in the middle. Seems to be another redcafe rule you can only have 1 midfield playmaker.

antohan

Yes you are wrong.

Have I? I have barely posted other than calling you out on the baresi nonsense and (wrongly) pointing out the stupidity of playing styles as a man-marking dm.
You took issue in the first game when I said no midfield with Varela could be called weak (playing for the oppo then).

Taking it upon yourself to explain what Gerson does was decidedly odd.

Enigma_87

You know who
If I played Simeone people would say 'why do you need Simeone when you have Varela'. Gerson is the superior footballer and will put in a defensive shift too, playing these 3 in midfield help control proceedings and outnumber the opposition in the middle. Seems to be another redcafe rule you can only have 1 midfield playmaker.
Simeone is B2B tho, not a pure anchor, something Varela could play down to a T. You have 3 playmakers on the pitch, not 1, and that is not even counting Leo Junior coming from that side.

It's a bit odd. Maybe like Milan in the early 00's but still it's pretty unusual midfield, and I just don't really see it being functional..

MJJ

You took issue in the first game when I said no midfield with Varela could be called weak (playing for the oppo then).

Taking it upon yourself to explain what Gerson does was decidedly odd.
Yeah and both those responses were snarky ones not serious, unless you found either of my "arguments" persuasive.

Post no midfield with Rijkaard can be consider weak and you would have got a similar response.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Simeone is B2B tho, not a pure anchor, something Varela could play down to a T. You have 3 playmakers on the pitch, not 1, and that is not even counting Leo Junior coming from that side.

It's a bit odd. Maybe like Milan in the early 00's but still it's pretty unusual midfield, and I just don't really see it being functional..
And what's wrong with having players in central midfield who can play make? I wouldn't say my midfield is that unusual I would compare it to Madrid's Modric-Casemiro-Kroos-Isco midfield.

RedTiger

Half mast

Mate, it's not like Modric, Gerson and Charlton were one dimensional playmakers who didn't bring any other skill set to the table.

antohan

If I played Simeone people would say 'why do you need Simeone when you have Varela'. Gerson is the superior footballer and will put in a defensive shift too, playing these 3 in midfield help control proceedings and outnumber the opposition in the middle.
It seems you still don't get why Simeone was a poor choice of DM: he wasn't one. He was a B2B midfielder and you'd rather have him jousting with Neeskens than Gerson.

Seems to be another redcafe rule you can only have 1 midfield playmaker.
You have four midfield playmakers: Charlton, Modric, Gerson and Junior as a left midfield playmaker.

No, you absolutely don't need Gerson or any more "playmaking". Stop reacting so childish at valid criticism. Mind you, crappy often does the same.

Seems to be a thing these days cynical comments about "the world of RC drafts" as if it were some bullshit parallel universe. Why do you play them then?

It's a shit way of going about arguing your case. Sure, the rival managers will do some smoke and mirrors dodgy statements, but neutrals generally just have an opinion they are putting forward and that's no way to reply.

antohan

Yeah and both those responses were snarky ones not serious, unless you found either of my "arguments" persuasive.

Post no midfield with Rijkaard can be consider weak and you would have got a similar response.
Off to the other game then I guess.

MJJ

It seems you still don't get why Simeone was a poor choice of DM: he wasn't one. He was a B2B midfielder and you'd rather have him jousting with Neeskens than Gerson.

You have four midfield playmakers: Charlton, Modric, Gerson and Junior as a left midfield playmaker.

No, you absolutely don't need Gerson or any more "playmaking". Stop reacting so childish at valid criticism. Mind you, crappy often does the same.

Seems to be a thing these days cynical comments about "the world of RC drafts" as if it were some bullshit parallel universe. Why do you play them then?

It's a shit way of going about arguing your case. Sure, the rival managers will do some smoke and mirrors dodgy statements, but neutrals generally just have an opinion they are putting forward and that's no way to reply.
Thats a very strong worded reply anto.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Not at all, I've explained several times why Gerson is in there and all I've got in response is 'too many playmakers' so I admit I'm getting a bit frustrated. And it's not meant as a personal insult, so if you or @Enigma_87 are I apologise.

antohan

Thats a very strong worded reply anto.

Not at all. In fact, I'm sure @Indnyc and @crappycraperson would wholeheartedly disagree after their last game.

I'm just fed up of dissing comments like that. "Apparently in drafts you can only have one playmaker" my arse.

antohan

Not at all, I've explained several times why Gerson is in there and all I've got in response is 'too many playmakers' so I admit I'm getting a bit frustrated. And it's not meant as a personal insult, so if you or @Enigma_87 are I apologise.
Fair enough mate. The point largely is that you are matching up to Neeskens in that position, knew in advance you were, and however hard it is to deal with that Simeone at least has a fighting chance there.