The Final: Argentina vs France

Predict the winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Parma Dewol

Chatting about the final this morning at work, someone said "such a shame Diego wasn't around to see it."

A comment that stuck with me. What a moment it would have been for past and present #10s.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Chatting about the final this morning at work, someone said "such a shame Diego wasn't around to see it."
I mentioned before the game that what made me feel all squishy inside was the notion Messi wasn't born in 1986 and Diego wasn't alive now.

A massive privilege to have witnessed both.

Congrats @IFC 1905 @RacingClub @Pocho and Marcosdeto wherever you are.

Great effort after a late wake up @kouroux @JPRouve and @Oly Francis Deschamps' decisiveness was quite impressive and Mbappé just sensational.

Think Argentina were deserved winners though, bar for their complete and surprising inability to close out games.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I thought Deschamps did reasonably well all things considered with the many injuries and then making quick subs in the final.

Pocho

I mentioned before the game that what made me feel all squishy inside was the notion Messi wasn't born in 1986 and Diego wasn't alive now.

Great effort after a late wake up @kouroux @JPRouve and @Oly Francis Deschamps' decisiveness was quite impressive and Mbappé just sensational.

Think Argentina were deserved winners though, bar for their complete and surprising inability to close out games.
thanks! I will tell Marcos, he’s my brother.

thekman

Supports
Juventus

The penalty France got shouldn't even have happened. I was genuinely unsettled after they gave Argentina that first penalty because I wanted Messi to win fair and square but the everything seemed even in the end
The first French penalty was unquestionably a foul, the defender gripped himself to the attacker's body and had hold of his shirt and arm for an extended period. The second French penalty is another reminder that we need to bring back the indirect free kick.

Mas Risky

This final and Argentina's journey to reach the end are too good to be true. Everyone (bar French) want it to be a happy ending for Lionel Messi. Everything seem aligned for Argentina to win it but no one knows how it will unravel. It has to be earned, otherwise some accusations that FIFA handed the trophy for them in a silver platter will be justified.

It started with a surprising loss, but what follows after are hard fought wins, superb goalkeeping, and Messi's magical moment (with a little help from his young padawans).
Many people thought that the ideal final should be between Argentina vs Brazil or Messi vs Ronaldo. You know, the same narrative that we heard for the entire Messi's career.

Oh how wrong they are.

Messi's final test is not coming from the past or present, but the future. It has name and the name is Kylian Mbappe. No one is able to past the guardian of time, not even Messi. But by beating Mbappe, he became immortal.

Last edited:

Pocho

The first French penalty was unquestionably a foul, the defender gripped himself to the attacker's body and had hold of his shirt and arm for an extended period. The second French penalty is another reminder that we need to bring back the indirect free kick.
There’s a footage of the last penalty that shows that there’sa previous hand of a French player. Don’t know why VaR didn’t call the ref

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
For me, the worst decision of the entire match was not sending Rabiot off for a nasty foul on De Paul. That was a potential leg breaker.

All of the penalties were correct and other angles show that Upamecano did header it.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Wow I completely forgot about Marcos. That's took me waaaay back. What a great guy he is.

Axe2401

Shame this victory had to be decided by a penalty kick session :( Both team deserved a better ending.
I'm still proud of what french players did. With all the injuries, illness with this weird virus at the end, the fact they played both semi and final vs a 80% opposite crowd in the stadium. They never gave up.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I don't think it is all about the made up guy in the sky.

People in Gaza are trapped in a prison camp and nobody gives a sh**t. When the Moroccan players try to remind the world of that, it makes sense that the success of that team would then mean something to them.
The Muslim world supports the Palastinian cause only because they (mostly) share a religion that has a territorial element to it. If Judaism was a branch of Islam the rest of the Arab world wouldn't give "a sh*t" about Gaza any more than they do about all the other far more atrocious stuff that happens in the Middle East all the time, not least in Qatar and Saudi Arabia. It's a religious conflict.

Ladron de redcafe

For me, the worst decision of the entire match was not sending Rabiot off for a nasty foul on De Paul. That was a potential leg breaker.

All of the penalties were correct and other angles show that Upamecano did header it.
Yeah I thought that was filthy as well. And France really should have been down to 10. But all is well that ends well.

Pintu

The Muslim world supports the Palastinian cause only because they (mostly) share a religion that has a territorial element to it. If Judaism was a branch of Islam the rest of the Arab world wouldn't give "a sh*t" about Gaza any more than they do about all the other far more atrocious stuff that happens in the Middle East all the time, not least in Qatar and Saudi Arabia. It's a religious conflict.
This is not really the best thread to discuss the roots of the Apartheid and other crimes committed by the israeli regime... You were talking about Gaza inhabitants supporting Morocco and you said it is only about the made up guy in the sky... I said I don't think it is. Many other national teams represented some majority Muslim countries. As far as I know, the Moroccan side was the only one to connect with Gaza in that way since their first game.

SATA

Think Varane would need two weeks of rest and recovery before playing for United again. Looked absolutely shattered yesterday when he went off extra time and having just returned from injury to play in this tournament

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
This is not really the best thread to discuss the roots of the Apartheid and other crimes committed by the israeli regime...
Hey you brought it up. It's a religious conflict and dragging it into football is wrong.

Zetrio2002

E. Martinez saved Arg from both world cup heartbreak and Copa America heartbreak. This man is a legend.

Even the french reserves were running into the field expecting Kolo to score. E.Martinez's accomplishment for Arg this year eclipse what Courtois did for Real this year imo.

Zetrio2002

Maybe indirect free kick for handball inside penalty box and penalty for handball inside 6 yard box.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Maybe indirect free kick for handball inside penalty box and penalty for handball inside 6 yard box.
Nah, it was a penalty. An accidental handball most likely, but the defender was a fecking idiot charging with his arm out like that. He asked for it.

Pocho

A joy to watch at 104’ the difference between a team who cherishes the ball and others.