g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I meant his appeal as a character, not mechanics wise :) Having said that, is he that good? I haven't played IX in ages, but aren't the mage characters any good?
Eiko, Garnet and Vivi are shit, truth be told.
A well built team of:
Zidane (thievery) - Freya (dragon crest) - Amarant (no mercy I think it was) - Quina (frog drop)
All do 9999 damage for lowest possible mp in a sustainable party. Quina (just about everything), Freya (heal hp & mp) and Amarant (recover mp, regen and auto-life ) can heal and do tons of other stuff.

The only one "hard" to build into the party is Amarant if you are determined to make him hit for 9999 damage as you need to use specific equipments when leveling in order to get his stats right.

Steiner is fairly easy to get to hit for tons of damage but doesn't really do anything outside of that and it costs a fair lot of mp

Eiko & Garnet are really just supportive characters and because of that they don't offer enough to join the party. Vivi is the same as Steiner, just less reliable) because all he does is damage, but not enough damage to make him challenge the others with their fixed damage and party utility.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A well built team of:
Zidane (thievery) - Freya (dragon crest) - Amarant (no mercy I think it was) - Quina (frog drop)
All do 9999 damage for lowest possible mp in a sustainable party. Quina, Freya and Amarant can heal and do tons of other stuff (even recover mp, regen and auto-life for Amarant).

The only one "hard" to build into the party is Amarant if you are determined to make him hit for 9999 damage as you need to use specific equipments when leveling in order to get his stats right.

Steiner is fairly easy to get to hit for tons of damage but doesn't really do anything outside of that and it costs a fair lot of mp

Eiko & Garnet are really just supportive characters and because of that they don't offer enough to join the party. Vivi is the same as Steiner, just less reliable) because all he does is damage, but not enough damage to make him challenge the others with their fixed damage and party utility.
Ah right, Thievery is the skill that does more damage the more stuff you steal right?

Ooooh, Steiner, I loved Steiner, big dumb rock. Think IX might be my favorite ever FF story and world wise.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Ah right, Thievery is the skill that does more damage the more stuff you steal right?

Ooooh, Steiner, I loved Steiner, big dumb rock. Think IX might be my favorite ever FF story and world wise.
Yeah, thievery does damage based on steal. Dragon crest does damage based on dragons killed (steal and kill dragons outside the first chocobo forest to max both) & frog drop based on frogs captured.
No mercy does damage based on a formula of stats, so it's fixed damage, but you can't just max him out on levels headlessly to reach 9999.

FF9 has tons of awesome characters, and Quina is probably the least interesting due to being a comedic relief character who is there to lighten the mood, mostly. I can agree that Quina seems pointless in that sense, but Caith Sith surely isn't if we look from that perspective. He's a turk who joins as a spy but turns around and joins you properly in the end. :p

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah, thievery does damage based on steal. Dragon crest does damage based on dragons killed (steal and kill dragons outside the first chocobo forest to max both) & frog drop based on frogs captured.
No mercy does damage based on a formula of stats, so it's fixed damage, but you can't just max him out on levels headlessly to reach 9999.

FF9 has tons of awesome characters, and Quina is probably the least interesting due to being a comedic relief character who is there to lighten the mood, mostly. I can agree that Quina seems pointless in that sense, but Caith Sith surely isn't if we look from that perspective. He's a turk who joins as a spy but turns around and joins you properly in the end. :p
He's Reeve right?

God all these long lost memories.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Guess just saying quina can do everything is a bit out there, so a little summary:
1. 9999 damage for almost no mp with frog drop. (pumpkin head does damage between current and max hp for ok damage until that point)
2. Lvl5 death - awesome for early game leveling against dragons at the great plateau.
3. Mighty guard - shell and protect on whole party.
4. Bad breath - status-galore on all enemies.
5. Angel snack - remedy on all party members.
6. White wind - heal hp for all party members.
7. Auto-life

Art Vandelay

I like that he's a cat riding around on a big toy and everyone just accepts this at face value at first. Isn't it only later you find out he's Reeve?

Yet they are all shocked Red 13 can talk.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just finished Uni for the year so a replay of an FF could be on the cards. Done 7 so many times I've lost count, never finished 9 though so suppose I should give that another run

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Just finished Uni for the year so a replay of an FF could be on the cards. Done 7 so many times I've lost count, never finished 9 though so suppose I should give that another run
Do it. :D
I like that he's a cat riding around on a big toy and everyone just accepts this at face value at first. Isn't it only later you find out he's Reeve?

Yet they are all shocked Red 13 can talk.
Yeah, it was Reeve. And yes you found out later on. :)

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Actually, thinking about it, Barret shouldn't have been surprised. He'd previously been to Cosmo Canyon, so probably would have seen Red.

I'm not 100% certain of the timelines, but Red was captured the year before the first reactor mission, and Barret's involvment with Shinra in Corel started 4 years before the mission. Somewhere in those 4 years Barret started Avalanche in Cosmo Canyon.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Actually, thinking about it, Barret shouldn't have been surprised. He'd previously been to Cosmo Canyon, so probably would have seen Red.

I'm not 100% certain of the timelines, but Red was captured the year before the first reactor mission, and Barret's involvment with Shinra in Corel started 4 years before the mission. Somewhere in those 4 years Barret started Avalanche in Cosmo Canyon.
Is that the Red from Pokemon?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm struggling to see where the end point of the first episode will come. The obvious 2 contenders are Cloud's flashback at Kalm or Aeris' death, with the former seeming a bit premature and the latter being quite far into the game. I guess it could end after crossing the sea or after Cosmo Canyon but it doesn't feel like a natural point to do it. My guess is that they are going to massively increase the gameplay in Midgar to 30 hours through more Avalanche missions (this will make the deaths and destruction more impactful) and end it with Cloud's stare off with Sephiroth from Kalm. Designing Midgar will take up so much effort and I don't see them inputting the world map in the same game.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm struggling to see where the end point of the first episode will come. The obvious 2 contenders are Cloud's flashback at Kalm or Aeris' death, with the former seeming a bit premature and the latter being quite far into the game. I guess it could end after crossing the sea or after Cosmo Canyon but it doesn't feel like a natural point to do it. My guess is that they are going to massively increase the gameplay in Midgar to 30 hours through more Avalanche missions (this will make the deaths and destruction more impactful) and end it with Cloud's stare off with Sephiroth from Kalm. Designing Midgar will take up so much effort and I don't see them inputting the world map in the same game.
Could be just after the Las Vegas type place, with Cloud and Aeris falling in love, staring into each other’s eyes, and thinking everything will be grand.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Could be just after the Las Vegas type place, with Cloud and Aeris falling in love, staring into each other’s eyes, and thinking everything will be grand.
Golden Saucer you mean? Possibly. It makes sense to have it done after Midgar, but as others have said this could be a bit premature if they don't expand the content that is there in the original. It's around 4 hours into the game before you're out of Midgar isn't it?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Golden Saucer you mean? Possibly. It makes sense to have it done after Midgar, but as others have said this could be a bit premature if they don't expand the content that is there in the original. It's around 4 hours into the game before you're out of Midgar isn't it?
I'd say it was closer to ten hours. There's a hell of a lot of stuff which goes down in Midgar - 2 reactor dungeons, Corneo, The Turks, the sewers & train graveyard and the Shinra breakin is 2-3 hours in its own right.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'd say it was closer to ten hours. There's a hell of a lot of stuff which goes down in Midgar - 2 reactor dungeons, Corneo, The Turks, the sewers & train graveyard and the Shinra breakin is 2-3 hours in its own right.
10 hours is definitely overkill I think, going to have to play through and let you know :)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Reading all that just reminded me of how much I love that game. :drool:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
I'm going to be redoing it in the next few days so I'll let you know. I'm not gonna rush it though and will explore all available floors of Shinra HQ etc too. I recon it will be 8ish hours. And this will be from someone who's completed the game 4 times.

Cait Sith

A well built team of:
All do 9999 damage for lowest possible mp in a sustainable party. Quina (just about everything), Freya (heal hp & mp) and Amarant (recover mp, regen and auto-life ) can heal and do tons of other stuff.

For FF IX you don't need to be overly powerful though. Toughest opponent has around 50k HP, which is a joke compared to Ruby Weapon in FF VII, Omega Weapon in FF XIII or Penance in FF X.

FF IX was the only Final Fantasy in which I did not bother to max out the characters.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
For FF IX you don't need to be overly powerful though. Toughest opponent has around 50k HP, which is a joke compared to Ruby Weapon in FF VII, Omega Weapon in FF XIII or Penance in FF X.

FF IX was the only Final Fantasy in which I did not bother to max out the characters.
No enemy in any FF game is super-hard if you are prepared and know what you do. :lol:
Besides, being a hp sponge doesn't make Emerald or Ruby Weapon as harder than Ozma.
Oh, and Ozma isn't the hardest enemy in FF9. ;)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I will riot if Chocobo racing isn’t in the first installment of the FFVII remake.

caid

I think FFVII was the only one i really maxed out the characters. I made a start on it in IX and X, but didn't go particularly far. VIII i kind of disliked the story and characters, I didn't really understand the mechanics that well and scraped past the last boss with pretty weak characters and never played again.
I'm probably more inclined to getting past bosses with the weakest / lowest level characters possible and getting through the story asap. If i like the mechanics I might start grinding after finishing it.

Irwin99

Best FF8 team was Squall, Zell and Rinoa. Apparently Rinoa has the highest stats in the game after what happens in disc 3. Makes sense I suppose although I always thought Squall was ridiculously OP (Lionheart just massacres everything :lol: )

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
I've never got past the first couple of hours of VIII. Hated the battle system and the more realistic look. VII and IX are 2 of my favourite games ever so if I went back to VIII I'd probably enjoy it eventually.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Best FF8 team was Squall, Zell and Rinoa. Apparently Rinoa has the highest stats in the game after what happens in disc 3. Makes sense I suppose although I always thought Squall was ridiculously OP (Lionheart just massacres everything :lol: )
Zell solos the game. Don't really need anyone else. Past Zell there is Selphies the end. Maxed out Irvine is decent for damage, but again with Zell everything dies with armageddon fist. :p

Cait Sith

No enemy in any FF game is super-hard if you are prepared and know what you do. :lol:
Besides, being a hp sponge doesn't make Emerald or Ruby Weapon as harder than Ozma.
No game is super hard if you know what you are doing obviously but in FF 7, 8 or 10 you will never beat the toughest opponents if you don't google how to or use gamebreaking stuff like Knight of The Round + 2x summon + Mimic or "The End".

My barometer is this: If you are finished with every quest bar the final dungeon and decide to go to <insert toughest opponent in the game> unprepared, you will die within 1 minute at most in FF VII, VIII or X. If you do the same with any opponent in FF IX, you can win (who do you consider the toughest opponent in FF IX?).

Revan

Assumptionman
What?

Ainu

No game is super hard if you know what you are doing obviously but in FF 7, 8 or 10 you will never beat the toughest opponents if you don't google how to or use gamebreaking stuff like Knight of The Round + 2x summon + Mimic or "The End".

My barometer is this: If you are finished with every quest bar the final dungeon and decide to go to <insert toughest opponent in the game> unprepared, you will die within 1 minute at most in FF VII, VIII or X. If you do the same with any opponent in FF IX, you can win (who do you consider the toughest opponent in FF IX?).
Speaking of game breaking, FFX has to be the winner there. If you have a couple million gil to spare (not that hard with the 100k per Mimic battle in one of the end-game areas) you can one-hit-kill all 12 million HP of Penance with a Zanmato. You could probably pull this trick on every Dark Aeon if you don't mind grinding the shit out of those Mimics. Not sure it would work on Dark Yojimbo though.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Friendly Yan.

And you're wrong. Prepared, without ai manipulation Ozma can kill you with meteor if you have bad luck. Hell, use your own setup and so no preparing through Google or off-hand knowledge and you'll face him without doing friendly monster quest.

Prepared, no ff7, 8 or 10 boss pose any threat.
There is so many ways to kill emerald and Ruby in that broken game that mentioning them all would give me a headache.

As for ff8, card refine laguna card and you have a easy win against omega. Hell, you can use the end or armageddon fist to make the battle easier.
Wakka can take down any of the dark aeons practically alone with his overdrive. Penance is more work (without zanmato cheese), but hardly something rng can decide compared to ozma.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
10 hours is definitely overkill I think, going to have to play through and let you know :)
Ended up being exactly 5:00:00 (including the 20 second wait for the picture opportunity)

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Just left the Costa del Sol and am now in for the worst 2 hours of gameplay in ff7. I hate everything about the Gold Saucer/Corel Prison and the shitty route there.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Just left the Costa del Sol and am now in for the worst 2 hours of gameplay in ff7. I hate everything about the Gold Saucer/Corel Prison and the shitty route there.
Midgar is that for me. Biggest reason I play 5, 6, 8 & 9 much more often. :p

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Midgar is that for me. Biggest reason I play 5, 6, 8 & 9 much more often. :p
Really? I find that surprising. The only thing I dislike about Midgar is having to go through the Sector 6 road three times.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Really? I find that surprising. The only thing I dislike about Midgar is having to go through the Sector 6 road three times.
I just think it feels too slow. I enjoy getting to the world map fast.

Art Vandelay

I didn't mind it at the time, but thinking about it now I do not want to go through it again. Corel Prison was just depressing.

Just going off your picture, why don't you have Barret in the back line? He takes half the damage but deals out the same amount as his weapon is long range.