Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just left the Costa del Sol and am now in for the worst 2 hours of gameplay in ff7. I hate everything about the Gold Saucer/Corel Prison and the shitty route there.
To me Cloud's past was hell on subsequent playthroughs.

Ainu

I just think it feels too slow. I enjoy getting to the world map fast.
I think having to spend a good few hours in Midgar and then seeing the world open up was fantastic for a first playthrough. It's one of those memorable moments in FF history. But yeah, I can see how you'd rather skip it in subsequent runs.

SuperiorXI

Corel Prison was tough for me as I'd neglected to use Barret up to that point. Took me a while to beat that guy and I had to grind for it.
Loved that part of the game, especially the music.

One thing I really hope they keep is the electronic-style soundtrack. Please don't give us the orchestrated shit, just sounds rubbish.

SuperiorXI

I didn't mind it at the time, but thinking about it now I do not want to go through it again. Corel Prison was just depressing.

Just going off your picture, why don't you have Barret in the back line? He takes half the damage but deals out the same amount as his weapon is long range.
FYI for future playthroughs. I tended to stick everyone in the front line early on to farm damage and train limit breaks.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Just going off your picture, why don't you have Barret in the back line? He takes half the damage but deals out the same amount as his weapon is long range.
I've beaten the game a couple of times so I know how to beat all the bosses relatively easily. I want my characters to get damaged to get the limit break levels quicker and Barret has a decent final limit so I've equiped cover to get him to take more damage.

Irwin99

If they change the music for the remake I will be really pissed. It's the second best soundtrack in the series (FF8 gets top spot of course)

Ainu

They'll definitely record a new version of the soundtrack, most likely an orchestral version. Best we can hope for is they'd include both versions.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I've beaten the game a couple of times so I know how to beat all the bosses relatively easily. I want my characters to get damaged to get the limit break levels quicker and Barret has a decent final limit so I've equiped cover to get him to take more damage.
That moment when you can start buying Hyper medicine to set everyone in Fury all the time for extra fast limits. :drool:

Art Vandelay

FYI for future playthroughs. I tended to stick everyone in the front line early on to farm damage and train limit breaks.
That killed two birds with one stone, I was actually going to ask about limit breaks. I'm playing through it on the Xbox, casually between other games. I've not played it in maybe 20 years and my recollection is that to unlock the second one for each level you have to use it a certain number of times and to unlock the next level you have to get a certain number of kills. Am I remembering that right?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
That killed two birds with one stone, I was actually going to ask about limit breaks. I'm playing through it on the Xbox, casually between other games. I've not played it in maybe 20 years and my recollection is that to unlock the second one for each level you have to use it a certain number of times and to unlock the next level you have to get a certain number of kills. Am I remembering that right?
Here you go.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Use your limit break 8 times to unlock the second, then kill 80 enemies, then use it 8 times, then kill 80 enemies etc.

The only exception is Vincent and Caith Sith I think. Thought I've not played for a while so could be wrong on that one.

Maxii

Paad
Just got past the spider robot in FF8 which is further than I ever got as a kid.

Winging this junction/draw system. It makes no sense :lol:
It's so easily exploitable by just spending so much time during fights drawing until you get pretty much max all magic that is junctioned. It's boring as hell doing that though. At least that's what I remember from it.

Raw

Yessssss :drool:

There seems to be no mention of the possibility of it being episodic, would be amazing if it was just one game.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Just got past the spider robot in FF8 which is further than I ever got as a kid.

Winging this junction/draw system. It makes no sense :lol:
What? It does make sense. :lol:
Did you skip the tutorial?

It's so easily exploitable by just spending so much time during fights drawing until you get pretty much max all magic that is junctioned. It's boring as hell doing that though. At least that's what I remember from it.
Much easier to just refine cards into items and items into magic.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That's not too bad, as long as each part is absolutely full of content and their releases aren't too far apart.
I think you'll be disappointed on that front. The last time they showed footage about a month ago, it was all early game. I'll be surprised if the last part is out before next gen is released.

Irwin99

That Aerith bit has me worried. Looks like they are meddling with the story and how she gets introduced.
Me too. I'm going to buy it whatever but I just worry they'll tamper with it too much. If they mess up the music I'll be so pissed off.

Irwin99

What? It does make sense. :lol:
Did you skip the tutorial?

Much easier to just refine cards into items and items into magic.
This a million times. I just can't fathom why people complain about drawing magic when the animation takes two seconds at most and really isn't that tiresome to do it a few times in the odd battle if you want to, but on top of that, if you don't like it the game gives you several options to get even more magic via other means. Refining items and cards can give the player massive amounts of magic.

Art Vandelay

Me too. I'm going to buy it whatever but I just worry they'll tamper with it too much. If they mess up the music I'll be so pissed off.
Yeah that's another thing that worries me actually. We haven't heard much of that.

I'm worried for Tifa too and the possibility of too much Sephiroth. The Sephiroth reveal in the original was cool as feck when you have no clue he's even still alive and then keep witnessing the carnage he's capable of leaving behind. Less is more with him, but I fear they won't get that and the whole game will be Cloud versus Sephiroth.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Graphics look nice.
Y'all ain't leaving Midgar
It's been 22 years since I arrived, pretty settled.
Yeah that's another thing that worries me actually. We haven't heard much of that.

I'm worried for Tifa too and the possibility of too much Sephiroth. The Sephiroth reveal in the original was cool as feck when you have no clue he's even still alive and then keep witnessing the carnage he's capable of leaving behind. Less is more with him, but I fear they won't get that and the whole game will be Cloud versus Sephiroth.
Feels a lot like they're going more serious, too, of course it's just trailers and I can't remember the original trailers having much/any of the bizzare fun bits.

Art Vandelay

I saw some pluses and negatives from all that:

The graphics look fantastic.

The music from what I heard sounded right.

Faces look amazing, although I always pictured Barrett as bulkier. Aerith has that ethereal wise look about her while still looking in her early 20s. Cloud looks a bit weird like he's supposed to. Tifa looks very faithful to the original, except...

Did they give her a reduction in the chestal region?

The battle system is not convincing me at all yet. It doesn't look better than the current version.

Too much Sephiroth too early. I'm really fearing that. Sephiroth was a great villain and a huge part of the story, but he wasn't the whole game. He was used sparingly and was all the better for it. I fear it's going to be too much of him and ruin the magic. Seeing what he did to the Shinra building and then that shot of the Midgar Zolum(?) were awesome build up to him.

All the stuff with Aerith makes it look like they are going to be doing some serious meddling with the story. Expanding the Avalanche stuff to give them a bigger role I don't mind, but the main plot isn't something I want to see "tweaks" to.

Overall it was great, but I am concerned about some stuff. Especially considering modern Square are a bit shit.

Raw

So first game is all Midgar and it's got 2 discs? Christ that's a lot of content!

Probably means the whole thing will be in 3 parts at the very least. What I'd like to know is if you're able to revisit Midgar later on, because it seems like it's gonna be huge and I wonder if it'll fit in any of the other discs. Unless it gets saved on your console and it'll be able to access it?

So many questions, wish they explained the whole multi part thing further.