Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I've played all the FF games (and I mean all, SNES included) and I tink I can safely say, they are, and will always be the greatest gaming series I've ever played. VII alone is the greatest game ever made, and bar a few hiccups (VIII anyone?) they're all quite brilliant.

I'll be getting myself a PS3 for XIII, but seeing as it's out later this year in Japan, I won't have to get one for another 2 years...
Agreed. I liked 8 though. I think they fecked up quite severely with 12 considering the amount of times it was delayed. I'm torn between 9 and 7 for my favourite of the series. The storylines in those 2 were simply epic.

They've got a dream team writing the game - Nobuo Uematsu composing, Yoshitaka Amano on graphic design, Kazushige Nojima on storyboard.
They're the best set of games that i've ever bought. Perfect.
Saying that, hasn't Uematsu retired now? The FF12 soundtrack was simply inadequate and that was in no small part down to the fact that he only did one of the tracks on it.

That is the reason i wll end up getting a PS3, somewhere along the line.

They are also remaking VII for the PS3. God knows how it will turn out.
They recreated the famous opening scene on FF7 in PS3 graphics to show how good it would look. I'm not entirely convinced that it was just a teaser.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
They recreated the famous opening scene on FF7 in PS3 graphics to show how good it would look. I'm not entirely convinced that it was just a teaser.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully, graphics let FF7 down big time, other than that it was a perfect game.

Dowders_Jnr

The graphics for VII had a charm that the more realistic VIII sorely lacked. Personally the more I think about it, I prefer IX to VIII. VII will never be beaten.

Cina

Sorry to derail the Final Fantasy topic, but has anyone here played Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross? They are better games imo..
I've played Chrono Trigger (Was it SNES or PS1, I can barely remember) and it was a magnificent game, and by all accounts, better than some FF games. The combat system was glorious, and it had a very strange storyline.

Still, I wouldn't place is as high as FFVII, and one or two others. The fact is, without FFVII, RPGs would be a dying breed, and games such as Chrono Cross probably would never have existed.

spinoza

Paz's ion
They're the best set of games that i've ever bought. Perfect.
Saying that, hasn't Uematsu retired now? The FF12 soundtrack was simply inadequate and that was in no small part down to the fact that he only did one of the tracks on it.
he's come back to do a few more tracks for FF13

Not all unfortunately.

Cina

FF12's real time system is better than any other FF game
Oof, wouldn't go that far, I'm a fan of the turn based combat myself. Still, I like the combat system in XII, takes a while to get going but it's great fun once you get about 20 hours in.

My only gripe with it, is that I got the feeling that Squaresoft only fecking did it to give the game a more widespread appeal, something they've been doing a lot of lately, with all these shit spin offs and 'sequels'.

spinoza

Paz's ion
Oof, wouldn't go that far, I'm a fan of the turn based combat myself. Still, I like the combat system in XII, takes a while to get going but it's great fun once you get about 20 hours in.

My only gripe with it, is that I got the feeling that Squaresoft only fecking did it to give the game a more widespread appeal, something they've been doing a lot of lately, with all these shit spin offs and 'sequels'.
Random battles were my biggest bugbear, then you had to go through turns while the boss beat the living crap out of you

The RTB system was great - much better for strategists as compared to level uppers

Rahul

That is the reason i wll end up getting a PS3, somewhere along the line.
Very much on the save wavelength. And with Nomura backing this game and admitting its going to be his last Final Fantasy you know FF vs XIII will be special.

Looks a hell of alot darker than the others, also one of the first time i've seen blood in a FF game.

Occasional violence occurred in the PS Premiere trailer, unlike that of previous Final Fantasy titles hinting the game might receive a more mature rating than its predecessors. Perpetual teleportations proposed a new aspect that may bring forth some interesting gameplay
From an interview with Nomura in Dengeki PlayStation 2 magazine, he has stated that he aims to create previously unseen "tricky" battle sequences, reminiscent of the CGI film, Final Fantasy VII Advent Children.
If he can achieve what he says he can, this game will be one of the, if not the, biggest in 2008.

London_Red

I exist
FFVIII is the best
VIII as by far the worst. 7 and 9 were fantastic. I really liked the character Zidane in 9. Liked the whole travelling actors storyline at the beginning as well. Also Steiner and Vivi combination was fantastic in IX. Also loved the card game.

In VII Cloud and Garnet were brilliant as well as Yufi. She was pretty cool.

VIII is the one of the only ones since 7 i havent completed. I even completed X-2 and that was fecking awful.

Best one since they went on to PS2 was X. Thought it was well worked, challenging and all round pretty fecking goog.

Censored Username

Boo England, sell Rooney
VIII as by far the worst. 7 and 9 were fantastic. I really liked the character Zidane in 9. Liked the whole travelling actors storyline at the beginning as well. Also Steiner and Vivi combination was fantastic in IX. Also loved the card game.

VIII is the one of the only ones since 7 i havent completed. I even completed X-2 and that was fecking awful.

Best one since they went on to PS2 was X. Thought it was well worked, challenging and all round pretty fecking goog.
It was Aries or Tifa, Garnet was in IX but other than that i agree with you 100% I hated VIII and loved VII. The most moving gaming experience of my life. In a strange way even the imperfections made it better (graphics etc..)

spinoza

Paz's ion
Very much on the save wavelength. And with Nomura backing this game and admitting its going to be his last Final Fantasy you know FF vs XIII will be special.

Looks a hell of alot darker than the others, also one of the first time i've seen blood in a FF game.
I thought that Nojima has a much greater impact on a character compared to Nomura - you relate to the characters through the game story.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Yeah its quality. At the risk of asking a stupid question, can you play ps2 games on the ps3? Would love to play FF9 again, I have played 7 and 8 to death.

WeasteDevil

So can you get some sort of emulator or chip for it then I presume?
No! Just buy the right version of PS3.

The first ones released in the US and Japan had a PS2 inside them, in silicon (no longer available to buy new).

The second wave, which included the first lot officially available in Europe, chucked out the PS2's CPU and just kept the graphics chip, with the CPU being emulated on the PS3 CPU. These are no longer produced for the European market, although you can still find some in shops (I saw one not long ago).

The most recent wave have removed all PS2 hardware, and have no backwards compatibility until they can figure out how to emulate the PS2 graphics chip in software (which they say that they are not really arsed about doing).

So, options for a European wanting PS2 compatibility are:

A) Try to find a European 60GB model new (not easy).
B) Buy a European 60GB model second hand.
C) Buy a North American 80Gb model new and have it imported.
D) Buy a North American 80Gb model second hand and import it.
E) Buy a North American 60Gb or 20Gb (20Gbs are seriously gimped) model (first wave - the ones with the best backwards compatibility with PS2) second hand and import it.

Done!

WeasteDevil

Why on earth don't the new models let you play ps2 games?
The North American 80GBs do! SCEA (North America) and SCEE (Europe) are allowed to choose what models they want to sell. Obviously, SCEE must have done research showing that far more people wanted a price drop than to play PS2 games - probably taking the opinion that because the PS2 is so cheap, someone if they wanted it can just buy both. SCEA research might have pointed to Americans willing to pay extra for backwards compatibility, and thus they still have two models - 40Gb without for $100 less than the 80Gb with.

WeasteDevil

Cost, probably.
The thing is though, they are putting more and more PS1 games up on the Playstation Store to buy. I don't know what revenue stream that type of thing provides, but they cannot do that now with PS2 games until they (if ever) get PS2 compatibility working totally through a software solution. Then again they probably don't give a shit as the PS2 is still selling like hotcakes.

USA:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The North American 80GBs do! SCEA (North America) and SCEE (Europe) are allowed to choose what models they want to sell. Obviously, SCEE must have done research showing that far more people wanted a price drop than to play PS2 games - probably taking the opinion that because the PS2 is so cheap, someone if they wanted it can just buy both. SCEA research might have pointed to Americans willing to pay extra for backwards compatibility, and thus they still have two models - 40Gb without for $100 less than the 80Gb with.
the 80Gb comes with Motorstorm, too. :drool:

Rahul

I thought that Nojima has a much greater impact on a character compared to Nomura - you relate to the characters through the game story.
Could also be true, his work with Nomura on Kingdom Hearts went worldwide as well.

As also with Advent Children directed by Nomura and written by Nojima. They are a class act.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses

I too never really cared for VIII.

IX was a good game.

X was fantastic. I played way too much Blitzball.

kelvinhole

Hello Kevin
The thing is though, they are putting more and more PS1 games up on the Playstation Store to buy. I don't know what revenue stream that type of thing provides, but they cannot do that now with PS2 games until they (if ever) get PS2 compatibility working totally through a software solution. Then again they probably don't give a shit as the PS2 is still selling like hotcakes.

USA:

Yep, that's probably it. The PS2 is still holding its own, and Sony probably still recognizes it as a legitimate money-making product with its own market so they won't bundle it with the PS3.

Besides, the PS2-less PS3 is a cheaper and more attractive option to the many potential consumers who already have a PS2 anyway. Hell, even I bought one last Christmas. :D

KingEric7

I too never really cared for VIII.

IX was a good game.

X was fantastic. I played way too much Blitzball.

I really liked 8, personally. I think the only problem was that you could get ridiculously strong very early on in the game. It had a hell of a soundtrack and an excellent storyline.

Agreed about X though. They really nailed the transition from PS1 to PS2 with that game and at times it was like watching a really good film. The OST was epic the storyline was equally as good with many extras to go with it. "To Zanarkand" must be one of the best video game tracks i've ever heard.

Cannot stress enough how disappointed i was with 12, though. At first i thought it was excellent but as i went through the game it became much less playable and i no longer enjoyed playing it eventually.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
I really liked 8, personally. I think the only problem was that you could get ridiculously strong very early on in the game. It had a hell of a soundtrack and an excellent storyline.

Agreed about X though. They really nailed the transition from PS1 to PS2 with that game and at times it was like watching a really good film. The OST was epic the storyline was equally as good with many extras to go with it. "To Zanarkand" must be one of the best video game tracks i've ever heard.

Cannot stress enough how disappointed i was with 12, though. At first i thought it was excellent but as i went through the game it became much less playable and i no longer enjoyed playing it eventually.
That was a cracking track.

KingEric7

Indeed. This is the orchestrated version for anyone who hasn't already heard it.

KingEric7

That was my immediate thought on FFX when i came to realise that the Calm Lands was the closest it was going to get.