The first Cricket sheep thread

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The gluttons for mutton are back: it's the Third Redcafe Sheep Draft.

What's a sheep draft and how does it work?
  • Before every round, I will post new criteria. Every manager has to PM me their pick that meets the criteria.
  • Every manager will be allowed three picks (attempts) in every round to pick a player in every round. If you manage to sign a player successfully in the first pick (attempt), you will not participate in the next two attempts for that round, obviously.
  • At the end of every picking round I will announce which managers successfully signed their players, but I will NOT announce the name of the players, so that the managers who failed in that attempt would have to make their second/third attempt without the knowledge of which players were picked in the same round earlier.
  • How does a manager get his pick? You get your pick if and only if you were the only one who chose that player. There are three ways in which your pick will be blocked:
    1 - In the same round and same attempt there were other managers who chose the same player.
    2 - The player you chose was already successfully signed by someone in the same round in the previous attempt.
    3 - Your pick doesn't match the criteria.
  • For any manager biting off more mutton than they can chew, they will be allocated a sheep. These will be allocated by the Sheep Committee.
That sounds complicated, give me an example.
Let's say A, B, C, D and E are playing the draft.

I announce the criteria - Round 1 - pick a player who was a World Cup winner.

All 5 managers PM me their picks as follows :

Pick 1 :

A : Pele
B : Pele
C : Ronaldo
D : Maradona
E : Matthaus

According to the rules, A and B don't get any players and their picks are BLOCKED. C, D and E successfully sign their players. So, at the end of the deadline I will post something like this :

Results of Round 1, Pick 1 :

A : Fail (Pele)
B : Fail (Pele)
C : Pass
D : Pass
E : Pass

Blocked List : Pele.

Important : I will NOT announce the names of successfully drafted players till the end of the round. So the managers going into the second/third attempt will not be knowing which players apart from the ones that were blocked due to duplicate entries are not available.

Now, A and B have to submit again for the same criteria as their second attempt. Let's say :

A : Maradona
B : Beckenbauer

And I announce after 24 hours :

Results Round 1, Pick 2 :

A : Fail (player already drafted)
B : Pass

B gets his pick as it was not picked by another manager in the same attempt while also not being drafter earlier. A misses his pick again even though it was not picked by another manager in the same round, it was drafted by someone else earlier.

Now, A has to go for a third and last attempt. Let's say :

A : Beckenbauer.

And I announce :

Round 1, Pick 3 results :

A : Fail (player already drafted).

Full round results :

A : Sheep
B : Beckenbauer
C : Ronaldo
D : Maradona
E : Matthaus

A again fails, as B had already successfully drafted Beckenbauer which A wasn't aware of.

So, A ends the round without any player and will be assigned a sheep.

End of example.
All credit to @Gio for the post.
Players playing:

1. @Donaldo
2. @VanGaalEra
3. @Skills
4. @Boycott
5. @paulscholes18
6. @Mani
7. @Akshay
9. @crappycraperson
10. @bhuvan_chris_23

KM

Right another players born after 1/1/1925 are only eligible for this game. Your first criteria will come as soon as we get confirmation from the 16th player(@NM or @Akash)

Since there are 16 teams, we'll have knockout matches. Each of you can pick 12 players in the team, so there's one slot for sheep.

You'll have the option of picking one player from the team you've defeated in your squad.

All sheeps will be decided by me and my decision will be final.

zing

Zingle balls
I'm actually a little confused.

In the above example, if A gets sheep.. what is the implication of that? Does someone decide who will be in that position for that player? Does he play with (11-number of sheep in his team)?

And what does it mean when there is 'one slot for a sheep'? I could potentially end up with a sheep in every round?

Boycott

I interpreted a sheep being while everyone else gets Richards, Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting and Gower the loser gets Steve Tikolo

Mani

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-third-redcafe-sheep-draft.411575/page-28#post-18437425

In the above example, if A gets sheep.. what is the implication of that? Does someone decide who will be in that position for that player? Does he play with (11-number of sheep in his team)?

And what does it mean when there is 'one slot for a sheep'? I could potentially end up with a sheep in every round?
Hope the above link helps you, which is from football sheep draft.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Every round will have a criteria/country. You need to choose a player and PM the mod. If someone has also chosen the same player, he'll be blocked. After 3 attempts if you did not manage to get a player you'll be allocated a 'sheep' i.e. a totally useless/bad player. There are 12 rounds and you only need 11 players for your team, so there is a extra slot to accommodate any sheep. If you get more than 1 sheep (yes, you can get a sheep in every round ;)), they'll end up in playing 11 which is a major disadvantage.

The trick is to choose a player whom you think others would not choose for. So if you got for Sachin in India round, there'll be others who also go for him and you end up with a block. It's a gamble on how big a player you can go for and yet avoid sheep.

Mani

Skil post: 18443299 said:
I don't seem to be getting any notification from the tags
Neither me, is that true only 5 tag per post work @KM

zing

Zingle balls
Every round will have a criteria/country. You need to choose a player and PM the mod. If someone has also chosen the same player, he'll be blocked. After 3 attempts if you did not manage to get a player you'll be allocated a 'sheep' i.e. a totally useless/bad player. There are 12 rounds and you only need 11 players for your team, so there is a extra slot to accommodate any sheep. If you get more than 1 sheep (yes, you can get a sheep in every round ;)), they'll end up in playing 11 which is a major disadvantage.

The trick is to choose a player whom you think others would not choose for. So if you got for Sachin in India round, there'll be others who also go for him and you end up with a block. It's a gamble on how big a player you can go for and yet avoid sheep.
Yes, thanks, I got that bit.

It wasn't clear that a sheep meant a crap player. Who decides who the shitty player is? KM?

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
As Ravi Shastri would say, "In the end, Cricket was the winner."

KM

Sorry for this. Went on an extended holiday. Anybody still up for it?

Norris

Count me in too.. though I have absolutely no clue how to play this thing.

KM

Read the posts above. easy concept.

KM

I think its 10.