The First Redcafe Sheep Draft

Thisistheone

I was thinking going old school and the two finalists picking two players from the teams they beat. Or is that a problem?

Otherwise we would just inverse the initial order once again and have a couple of rounds. Sheep rounds seem pointless with only two teams left.
Agree Sheep rounds are pointless with two sides. Just the reverse of the last round. (assuming there is not crazy ending to my game.... )

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I was thinking going old school and the two finalists picking two players from the teams they beat. Or is that a problem?

Otherwise we would just inverse the initial order once again and have a couple of rounds. Sheep rounds seem pointless with only two teams left.
Yeah that sounds fine, I'm easy.

Moby

Dick
You can pick now, guys. 2 round. TITO - Gio - Gio - TITO.

Thisistheone :
Gio :

Pool :

Polaroid : 1. Rio Ferdinand 2. Anton Janssen (fired) 3. Zinedine Zidane 4. Brian Laudrup 5. Samuel Eto'o 6. William Gallas 7. Gareth Bale 8. Emmanuel Petit 9. Ilkay Gundogan 10. David Alaba 11. Manuel Neuer 12. Mats Hummels 13. Fernando Redondo 14. Sergio Busquets 15. Fabio Cannavaro 16. Phillip Lahm 17. Lilian Thuram

Edgar Allan Pillow : 1. Rui Costa 2. Andriy Shevchenko 3. Michael Ballack 4. Xabi Alonso 5. Roberto Baggio 6. Jorginho 7. Lucio 8. Branco 9. Dante (fired) 10. Roman Weidenfeller 11. Manuel Sanchis 12. Esteban Cambiasso 13. Paolo Maldini 14. Matthias Sammer 15. Manuel Amoros 16. Romario 17. Marcel Desailly

@Thisistheone @Gio

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Tough one this.

I think we need to boost the front line a bit with a big name but there aren't any real inside forwards.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Tough one this.

I think we need to boost the front line a bit with a big name but there aren't any real inside forwards.
Really? I love the Stoichkov, Totti, Savicevic front line.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Really? I love the Stoichkov, Totti, Savicevic front line.
I love it, but I can guarantee you not everyone will like it to the same extent.

Big names have a huge influence here, if Gio nabs Romario for Vieri and rocks up to the final with Rivaldo he's gonna get a handful of votes based solely off that.

Trouble is I really don't wanna move away from our 4-3-3. We set out to make a real tribute to Totti and its been pretty damn good so far.. Feels a bit cheap to move away from that now.

I love that Totti is getting the credit he deserves here. It's awesome.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I love it, but I can guarantee you not everyone will like it to the same extent.

Big names have a huge influence here, if Gio nabs Romario for Vieri and rocks up to the final with Rivaldo he's gonna get a handful of votes based solely off that.
Yeah, but you can't do anything about that unless you replace Totti with Romario.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yeah, but you can't do anything about that unless you replace Totti with Romario.
Nah, there are a few things possible.

Just sent one to TITO now actually - it means leaving the 4-3-3 though.

Thisistheone

It will definitely be a shame to leave the 433 at this stage after serving us so well. Thanks to Theon I have the most effective, well built side I've had in a draft. To change the shape now, to counter Gio... I don't know if it's clever or silly. I guess only the result will tell us!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It will definitely be a shame to leave the 433 at this stage after serving us so well. Thanks to Theon I have the most effective, well built side I've had in a draft. To change the shape now, to counter Gio... I don't know if it's clever or silly. I guess only the result will tell us!
It's boring and Totti has done a brilliant job so far. If you ask me, I think he deserves the chance to finish the job in his best role. But I'm a romantic ;).

Thisistheone

It's boring and Totti has done a brilliant job so far. If you ask me, I think he deserves the chance to finish the job in his best role. But I'm a romantic ;).
That's how we feel as well. Really putting everything into Totti. Just exploring some other angles but Totti is staying captain and falcrum.

Annahnomoss

For the next draft("auction one"), which requirement sounds more interesting of the following options:

A. All players born post 1970's are available
Positives: Large list of better/famous names.
Negatives: Almost exactly the same players as the current draft.

B. Players are judged based on CURRENT skill level.(Overall this season)
Positives: Completely new players and teams will be used. The comparisons will be easier and more factual than ever considering the amount of available data. The voters will have more knowledge on their hands than in any other draft criteria and it should hopefully mean that players are judged far less on reputation/their name than by their weekly performances.

Negative: The amount of available all-time quality players is considerably less. People may have stronger emotional attachments to some players which may interfere with an unbiased judgment.

C. Something else.

Annah
@Polaroid
@AldoPaine18
@rpitroda
@Isotope
@Edgar Allan Pillow
@crappycraperson
@NM
@kps88
@MJJ
@Cutch
@VivaJanuzaj
@Pippa

Last edited:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
B was done a few months ago, the current WC draft that Pol ran.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Do a current players draft with restrictions like we had in WC all time

- continent based restrictions
- maybe league based restrictions
- country based restrictions ( not more than 3 players from the same country)

Moby

Dick
For the next draft("auction one"), which requirement sounds more interesting of the following options:

A. All players born post 1970's are available
Positives: Large list of better/famous names.
Negatives: Almost exactly the same players as the current draft.

B. Players are judged based on CURRENT skill level.(Overall this season)
Positives: Completely new players and teams will be used. The comparisons will be easier and more factual than ever considering the amount of available data. The voters will have more knowledge on their hands than in any other draft criteria and it should hopefully mean that players are judged far less on reputation/their name than by their weekly performances.

Negative: The amount of available all-time quality players is considerably less. People may have stronger emotional attachments to some players which may interfere with an unbiased judgment.

C. Something else.

Annah
@Polaroid
@AldoPaine18
@rpitroda
@Isotope
@Edgar Allan Pillow
@crappycraperson
@NM
@kps88
@MJJ
@Cutch
@VivaJanuzaj
@Pippa
Both have been done a few times so I would advice you to add a few more restrictions and not just have the date of birth timeline, so that it edits the pool in some way.

If it is between the two I would go for the first, never been too keen on a current players draft.

If you want the current players one, you can have all players who are playing now but instead of current ability, their peak ability of their careers would be considered. So that older players would be more valuable, etc.

Thisistheone

What about an All-time Serie A draft with auctions? All-time Euro's...

Not sure really Annah.

Annahnomoss

The "new" thing with the draft will the be the auction idea. That every manager has an equal chance to get any player. There is no luck involved at all, instead whoever uses their funds best will end up with the superior team.

So the restrictions won't be possible really as the idea is to find out how every player is valued in comparison to others. It will be a very interesting list in the end seeing who is the highest regarded footballer between otherwise hard-to-compare players.

Would an all-time draft be more interesting? Even if the next draft will also be an all-time draft from Antohan?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
All Time Europeans sounds better, bit different to get no Maradona/Pele/Ronaldo etc.

Moby

Dick
What about an All-time Serie A draft with auctions? All-time Euro's...

Not sure really Annah.
This would be my choice as well. Have a big-ish timeline but not all players, but with respect to a league.

Biggest issue in that would be that the player's form in that league would need to be considered, but that would be manipulated often and we would see players who were better in other league being picked for being bigger names. Like say if we have a Premier League draft, someone could pick Shevchenko, George Weah etc. But still to have something different I wouldn't mind it.

But having Seria A would not be too different from having all players, most top players played there. :D I think La Liga draft with players born after 60/70 could be interesting. To exclude other league legends we can have restrictions like he must have made say 100 appearances in La Liga, etc.

crappycraperson

Scout
Or go with a funy restriction like all the players in starting 11 must have played in the same league one time or another.. as in everyone had played at least one match in PL, La Liga etc.

Moby

Dick
The "new" thing with the draft will the be the auction idea. That every manager has an equal chance to get any player. There is no luck involved at all, instead whoever uses their funds best will end up with the superior team.

So the restrictions won't be possible really as the idea is to find out how every player is valued in comparison to others. It will be a very interesting list in the end seeing who is the highest regarded footballer between otherwise hard-to-compare players.

Would an all-time draft be more interesting? Even if the next draft will also be an all-time draft from Antohan?
That's the issue in the all time one, that it will be followed by another and we already have had a few all time ones in the last year or so.

Only Europeans from last 20/30 years also sounds interesting.

Annahnomoss

I think an all-time theme would be a good way to try out the new draft format. People would have a clear idea if it was something to do again or not.

It would also be fun to see for example how much Beckenbauer will be bought for, in comparison to Platini and Messi in comparison to Ronaldo(9).

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
But having Seria A would not be too different from having all players, most top players played there. :D I think La Liga draft with players born after 60/70 could be interesting. To exclude other league legends we can have restrictions like he must have made say 100 appearances in La Liga, etc.
I think the auction idea is more fun when lots of big names are involved and they get so expensive, that it becomes a problem for the budget in the end. Serie A seems perfect, imo. You could say that the players must have at least 50 appearances or at least 3 seasons or something like that, to make it a bit tougher.

crappycraperson

Scout
I think an all-time theme would be a good way to try out the new draft format. People would have a clear idea if it was something to do again or not.

It would also be fun to see for example how much Beckenbauer will be bought for, in comparison to Platini and Messi in comparison to Ronaldo(9).
I am not sure about all time one. It would again involve some of the same discussions that have been had before.. interest would wane as well

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

I'm still curious how it will work? If it's the same format as the one in the bigsoccer forum that was linked here, then it's still all about luck, imo and doesn't give any insight about how the players are valued in comparison.

Annahnomoss

I think the auction idea is more fun when lots of big names are involved and they get so expensive, that it becomes a problem for the budget in the end. Serie A seems perfect, imo. You could say that the players must have at least 50 appearances or at least 3 seasons or something like that, to make it a bit tougher.
The bolded part really highlights the idea of the draft perfectly.

Moby

Dick
I'm still curious how it will work? If it's the same format as the one in the bigsoccer forum that was linked here, then it's still all about luck, imo and doesn't give any insight about how the players are valued in comparison.
That was a blind auction, I think. Didn't play it so can't say for sure.

A proper auction draft needs an open auction, which is a lot more interesting than a blind auction. A blind auction is nothing but a sheep draft plus the ability to get a player despite coinciding with someone if you have bid higher.

I suggest an open auction as it's a lot more fun. The organizer can play as well. Just nominate a bunch of player -say 20-30 every day and auction for 24 hours for example. You can work all that out later.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I thought that draft just looked stupid.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I thought that draft just looked stupid.
Yeah, that looked completely idiotic and no fun at all.

I suggest an open auction as it's a lot more fun. The organizer can play as well. Just nominate a bunch of player -say 20-30 every day and auction for 24 hours for example. You can work all that out later.
That sounds way way better.

Annahnomoss

It won't be at all. All bids will be official in the main page, so there is no luck involved at all.

After winning a bid-war for a player you can't pull out of it. So pushing up the values of players you know others wants is a possibility.

The bids will be either for position per position, or for the entire team at the same time. The "draft period" will be all about trying to get information in how much others desire certain picks, can you push his price tag up or not?

Also of course, picking up Maradona in a Serie A draft will cost you a fortune. Do you have the plan to work around the non-existing budget remaining?

It also means that teams will be much more well built, nobody can just "pick your pick before you".

All players will have a minimum value based on their real value. So you can't just pick the "leftovers" for 1 mill a piece as that would completely ruin the draft.

Say you are alone picking Mata, then you'd still have to pay a nominal fee close to 25 millions or so(not exact numbers now).

Position idea: Every position will have a list of available players that will be official. You will bid on all AM's you want in your team and they will be up against all other AM's.

Team idea: All players are available and you will just make a bid and that is it - anybody can enter the bid-race against you. This is a much more accurate way of doing it and in general will give a better comparison between the value of say Beckenbauer and Eusebio even if they play different positions.

Maybe we will find out that the "best" are not the most valued, maybe Beckenbauer turns out to be valued higher than Cruyff etc.

Moby

Dick
Yeah, that looked completely idiotic and no fun at all.

That sounds way way better.
It is, I have played that one a lot of times.

The one I played was with a closed group of people and not a forum like here. We were all on the same time zone so we just set a time of the day to come online. Then every guy nominated someone at a base price, say 1 million, and people bid on it. We had small deadlines, like if no bid is made for 5 minutes the player is sold to the last bidder.

We can scale all that to the requirements here, which is why I said nominating multiple players. In fact we can just have each manager nominate 2 players every day which makes 32 players for sale everyday and whenever you are online you bid for it. At the end of 24 hours whoever has the highest bid gets the player. That particular time should be set carefully so that most of the managers can be online to make last minute bids.

The best part in this are the real auction mechanics. You can inflate the price for someone else even if you don't want him just to reduce his budget, etc. We'll surely have a big laugh. And as I said, no need for organizer to stay out as everything is in the open.

Moby

Dick
It won't be at all. All bids will be official in the main page, so there is no luck involved at all.

After winning a bid-war for a player you can't pull out of it. So pushing up the values of players you know others wants is a possibility.

The bids will be either for position per position, or for the entire team at the same time. The "draft period" will be all about trying to get information in how much others desire certain picks, can you push his price tag up or not?

Also of course, picking up Maradona in a Serie A draft will cost you a fortune. Do you have the plan to work around the non-existing budget remaining?

It also means that teams will be much more well built, nobody can just "pick your pick before you".

All players will have a minimum value based on their real value. So you can't just pick the "leftovers" for 1 mill a piece as that would completely ruin the draft.

Say you are alone picking Mata, then you'd still have to pay a nominal fee close to 25 millions or so(not exact numbers now).

Position idea: Every position will have a list of available players that will be official. You will bid on all AM's you want in your team and they will be up against all other AM's.

Team idea: All players are available and you will just make a bid and that is it - anybody can enter the bid-race against you.
Great. That should be really enjoyable. Looking forward.

crappycraperson

Scout
I don't think people should have different minimum prices though. Everyone should start from the same one.

I mean if you value Maradona at 100 and no one buys him, then what's the point? Better to have him at 25 and let people fight it out and raise the price as much as they can or want to.