The First Redcafe Sheep Draft

Annahnomoss

I don't think people should have different minimum prices though. Everyone should start from the same one.

I mean if you value Maradona at 100 and no one buys him, then what's the point? Better to have him at 25 and let people fight it out and raise the price as much as they can or want to.
The minimum prices will be very very low on the picks that are certain to be picked. The issue is that if you have Materazzi valued at 0 or 1 million, then it is WAY too easy to pick Maradona for 95% of your budget and still get a great team.

So therefore the minimum values are there to avoid this cheat.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Surplus to requirements to be honest, for all his elegance.
He is a clear upgrade over Hagi as good as latter may be but I get your point. You definitely had to replace Vieri. And correcting one weakness at the back is more correct approach

crappycraperson

Scout
The minimum prices will be very very low on the picks that are certain to be picked. The issue is that if you have Materazzi valued at 0 or 1 million, then it is WAY too easy to pick Maradona for 95% of your budget and still get a great team.

So therefore the minimum values are there to avoid this cheat.
Yes I agree. In the example I gave if Maradona has a minimum price of 25 something, then I would have Materazzi at minimum of 10.

Annahnomoss

Yes I agree. In the example I gave if Maradona has a minimum price of 25 something, then I would have Materazzi at minimum of 10.
That is the exact idea! I should also mention that the reinforcement rounds will also be of the auction type and any saved money in the first round will go to your war-chest for the next reinforcement.

So whoever saves the most money, will be certain to pick someone like Maradona the next round as others can't beat his top bid.

Of course there may be no benefit in overpaying for Maradona when you could possibly get the likes of Matthäus and Gullit for the same price.

crappycraperson

Scout
That is the exact idea! I should also mention that the reinforcement rounds will also be of the auction type and any saved money in the first round will go to your war-chest for the next reinforcement.

So whoever saves the most money, will be certain to pick someone like Maradona the next round as others can't beat his top bid.

Of course there may be no benefit in overpaying for Maradona when you could possibly get the likes of Matthäus and Gullit for the same price.
For the reinforcement round I would add this caveat -

- One should be able to sell one player from his team to get another. Selling price would only be the minimum value one though. I say this because I doubt any times that go through will have much money left and it could leave future rounds redundant. Or worse if one team goes through with a lot more money compared to others, he can just clean up and that will be that. Ideally you would want to reward such a team but there has to be a balance as to now make a draft foregone conclusions at that stage itself

Annahnomoss

For the reinforcement round I would add this caveat -

- One should be able to sell one player from his team to get another. Selling price would only be the minimum value one though. I say this because I doubt any times that go through will have much money left and it could leave future rounds redundant. Or worse if one team goes through with a lot more money compared to others, he can just clean up and that will be that. Ideally you would want to reward such a team but there has to be a balance as to now make a draft foregone conclusions at that stage itself
Every team will be given money for winning. Quite a substantial bit, (50 m has been discussed with 300 m being the entire team budget). Meaning you are certain to pick up upgrades, and nobody will have 50 m left or anything near it after the draft is over.

Even if they do, they won't benefit much. They'd basically just get the player they could have got the previous round anyhow.

Pippa

@Annahnomoss

I think a good idea would be to have the auction draft, with a birthday limit, and special critieria for each round. Like the type of criteria that will require you to research more. I was looking at a draft from BiSoccer, this was one of the criteria they had:

A) Nominate a player who played for more than one club in his career. You do not get to draft this player - he will be added to the banned list.

B) Select two players who each played with this player but at different clubs. The two drafted players cannot have played for the same club at any point in their career.

To qualify, the players from A and B must have played a league match for the club in the same season while they were both at the club.
The more unpredictable, the better, I'd say in terms of drafting overall. And IMO the less further back we go, the better debates we will see. When it comes to much older footballers, it tends to get rated through awards and quotes (reputation) rather than ability. But it's your draft, so you decide.

Annahnomoss

Also I got this PM from a BigSoccer poster who recently joined and is in the Newbie section right now.

Hello. I'm a decade-long poster on the United forum at Bigsoccer under the name Salama
http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/search/1407042/ and have written some World Cup Live Blogs for Deadspin. I just signed up for RedCafe, so I am still only a newbie, but was hoping to participate in the next draft if it is possible. I participated in one there and found it really enjoyable.

Thank you.
I have no clue if it is possible, if it has been done before, what/how the problems of it would be solved. So if someone with more knowledge than me on the subject could make a post that would be great.

Moby

Dick
@Annahnomoss

I think a good idea would be to have the auction draft, with a birthday limit, and special critieria for each round. Like the type of criteria that will require you to research more. I was looking at a draft from BiSoccer, this was one of the criteria they had:

The more unpredictable, the better, I'd say in terms of drafting overall. And IMO the less further back we go, the better debates we will see. When it comes to much older footballers, it tends to get rated through awards and quotes (reputation) rather than ability. But it's your draft, so you decide.
I'm playing that one. That round is a fecking nightmare!

Annahnomoss

@Pippa Our auction draft will be almost the exact opposite of that draft - which got really bad reviews on here from the people who read up on it.

So the main part about this draft will be the idea of trying to minimize the importance of luck. If someone has Maradona you can't in any way feel it was unfair - you could have simply bid 5 m more and had him yourself OR pushed the bid up to such an extent that you "mindgamed" the opponent.

The "feck I ended up number X and that sucks/Someone picked my player just before me/I don't need these players in the reinforcement round and now I got to pick bench-warmers while others picks top tier players" will be gone.

Moby

Dick
Also I got this PM from a BigSoccer poster who recently joined and is in the Newbie section right now.

I have no clue if it is possible, if it has been done before, what/how the problems of it would be solved. So if someone with more knowledge than me on the subject could make a post that would be great.
I participated through newbies in the cricket one. The responsibility will be on you, the organizer, to copy all his posts here. More than that he won't be able to argue much in the game which makes it a bit drab.

I don't see an issue in it overall, up to the organizer to decide.

Annahnomoss

Alright. If other managers are okay with it, I think he could just PM his posts to anybody who is online and they'd copy them in the thread.

Polaroid is the main admin of the draft though so he has the VETO vote.

crappycraperson

Scout

I think it is best if he teams up with a main's poster. Pippa and I managed well in the WC one. I was still sort of new to drafts then so it helped me a lot. Might be a good idea to pair him with a relation newb in terms of draft

Pippa

I'm all for the open bidding method, but I like the difficult criteria...ones that actually require you to think.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Pippa Our auction draft will be almost the exact opposite of that draft - which got really bad reviews on here from the people who read up on it.
I think Pippa is talking about a different one now? Including criteria wasn't the problem, the blind auction was in the one I thought was stupid.

Annahnomoss

I'm all for the open bidding method, but I like the difficult criteria...ones that actually require you to think.
I can promise you that you will ponder a lot in this one. If anything the negative of this draft is the huge ongoing mind-games.

You pick Maradona then make a low bid on a Napoli team mate of his. Someone else wants to push the value up on the team mate as he is too cheap and fears you will end up with a too good team - so he out-bids you.

You can then stop bidding completely, making someone waste a pick - or if the other bidder has the upper hand in the mind-game - you accept that you want the player a lot and you make a higher bid.

Outbidding people will be something you don't do the first day, you'll make plenty of first-bids before you get a good feeling on your team.

EDIT: Balu/Aldo my bad then! Fortunately the points of the posts still stands in regards to luck.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It's the sheep draft that is criteria based, not the auction. Annah and Pol wanted to trial auctions, let's do that and not overcomplicate it by trying to build in random stuff. If you like complex criteria and random assortments of rules then you'll get that from me, no worries ;)

BTW, Annah, I reckon Serie A since 1980 would be awesome. Serie A was done in the newbs before but never in the mains. As someone mentioned, it has stacks of greats as well. I wouldn't make it all-time Serie A, lots of randomers will start coming off the woodwork whose valuation will really be a toss-up. Keep it simple and let the new concept (auctioning) be the main factor.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Surprised Gio didn't take Maldini. Not only the better option but letting Tito get him when Pessotto was the most clear player in need of an upgrade... You know, like how Tito picked Redondo so that he didn't have to play him :lol:

Annahnomoss

It's the sheep draft that is criteria based, not the auction. Annah and Pol wanted to trial auctions, let's do that and not overcomplicate it by trying to build in random stuff. If you like complex criteria and random assortments of rules then you'll get that from me, no worries ;)

BTW, Annah, I reckon Serie A since 1980 would be awesome. Serie A was done in the newbs before but never in the mains. As someone mentioned, it has stacks of greats as well. I wouldn't make it all-time Serie A, lots of randomers will start coming off the woodwork whose valuation will really be a toss-up. Keep it simple and let the new concept (auctioning) be the main factor.
The Serie A idea seems very popular indeed.

Moby

Dick

Yeah post 1980 Serie A sounds great.

Thisistheone

Personally I wouldn't have it after the Liverpool game as the forum would be busy with post game celebration/moaning etc. Monday should be good.
Sunday won't work. The caf will collapse, even if we get something out of it and people won't be happy at all. And quite rightly: "just played Liverpool and these spackers keep bumping their fantasy game thread :rolleyes:".
Ha! Yeah of course.

Monday then, if Gio is ok with that.