The future is bright

Nickelodeon

Every season post Fergie, we've had some or the other reason for optimism (Di Maria, Pogback, Schmidfield) and ultimately they've ended in disappointment.

For once, everything is gloomy with no silver lining and, thus, we are bound to be underdogs. Hopefully, this, along with 3-4 good signings, can spark some sort of revival.

It's a dangerous thing to say, but we've hit such a low point that the only way is up for us. I have faith that a good pre-season, clear out of a few players and a few good signings can bring about a mini revival.

Web of Bissaka

Tch, many of you guys are being too harsh to OP. Fun being in gloom eh. If not interested in the thread then simply go away.

Anyway, maybe I'm more of a realist than optimistic. The signs/indications so far seeing Ole's growing shitty decisions made are just so bad, no way promising. I stopped trusting his fancy comments in interviews/press conference, so many lies. Nice words, shit actions.

:annoyed:I'll believe in Ole when and if I'll see it -- what he's gonna do this summer, pre-season and few games at the start of next season.
If still consistently shit, then there goes my last hope/trust and final support to him out of the window.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Problem is. We all assume a cheap young star we assume will buy will turns out to be world beaters. We assume we will hire a dof that knows what he's doing. We assume deadwoods will be out next season. We assume it cant be worse than this year. We assume ole is the man to do the job, we assume ole has what it takes. We assume ed and the fans will be patience with total clearout. We assume chong laird and gomez is a first team material, or at least squad player material. We assume romero does the job when de gea leaves. We assume mctominay will keep his level of performance. We assume sancho wants to come to us.

Too many assumptions for bright things to happen based on our current situation.

I've said this before, if lvg and mourinho goes to united and they still struggle, chances are it'll take more than managerial change to fix things. Those 2 old man arent idiot. If they fail we should really disect what happens, instead of throwing money to the next manager hoping they'd magically fix things.

sparx99

Chelsea won’t the title the year after finishing 10th.

Leicester won the title the year after just avoiding relegation.

A quick turnaround could happen if the bad apples are removed and the entire squad come in next season with the right attitude.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Tch, many of you guys are being too harsh to OP. Fun being in gloom eh. If not interested in the thread then simply go away.

Anyway, maybe I'm more of a realist than optimistic. The signs/indications so far seeing Ole's growing shitty decisions made are just so bad, no way promising. I stopped trusting his fancy comments in interviews/press conference, so many lies. Nice words, shit actions.

:annoyed:I'll believe in Ole when and if I'll see it -- what he's gonna do this summer, pre-season and few games at the start of next season.
If still consistently shit, then there goes my last hope/trust and final support to him out of the window.
Says this and proceeds to make one of the gloomiest posts in the whole thread.

stubie

Chelsea won’t the title the year after finishing 10th.

Leicester won the title the year after just avoiding relegation.

A quick turnaround could happen if the bad apples are removed and the entire squad come in next season with the right attitude.
The problems with our club don't just rest with the players, it runs much deeper than that

SambaBoy

I keep seeing posters say he must clear out the deadwood, but reading those posts that means people are expecting Ole to sell

Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Rojo, Young, Darmian, Valencia (going anyway).
Fred, Herrera (leaving anyway) Pereira, Lingard, Matic, Mata
Lukaku, Martial, Sanchez

That would leave with from your registered first team squad this season

defence - Dalot, Lindelof, Shaw
midfield - McT, Pogba, Garner, Gomes, Greenwood,
foward - Rashford, Chong

Given that Pogba and DDG could go as well that leaves you with pretty much noone! It's hardly surprising he has had to extend a few contracts. I also understand why people are tired of Young, but he has been a good servant to you lot through very tough times (as has Valencia) and yes he's past it now, but doesn't deserve half the battering he takes on this site! If I were Ole I would keep him too, not to play him week in and week out, he's not good enough anymore, but he'd be a good influence in the dressing room especially if Ole's plan is to bring in young British kids, you'll need someone like Young around. Same with Jones, yes he's had terrible moments and injuries, but you cant question his passion or bravery when it comes to playing for utd
Out that list I would only consider Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Young, Valencia, Mata and Sanchez as deadwood. These are players we must get rid of in my opinion. Eventually I would like to see us phase out Smalling and Matic. Like you say, it's difficult to suddenly get rid of 10 players in one window. Matic can still contribute and I don't think he's been as bad as some make out on here. Lukaku just needs to get himself fit, he will score goals for sure. I can't see us bringing in a number 9 this window.

Give Pereira, Bailly, Martial and Fred another season. Fred has been written off too early, he's come from a different league with a big reputation and has failed to settle into a difficult team who are not performing. This has been Pereira's first proper season at United and it's been underwhelming for the majority, but he's young and can still develop. He hasn't really nailed down a position as such so far in his career which will cost him at United I feel. Martial has the talent no doubt, and he's shown it in glimpses but he needs to be consistent. I wouldn't mind seeing him being given a run as a number 9 again but he needs to up his work ethic and off the ball movement. Bailly again has talent but he's rash and injury prone, needs to be more consistent for a whole season and stay fit before discarding him. If he can't eradicate that out of his game or keeps getting injured, then get rid next summer.

Glideman

feck me United fans can be harsh when it comes to any form or optimism

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The only positive thing I can see out of this is that at each defeat we get closer to the club being sold to someone who actually affords it.

Swordsman

As long as woodward keeps interfering with football affairs, the gloom will not go away. He needs to just sign the damn chequebook without asking questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lentwood

As much as I want to find reasons to be positive, I am concerned that we aren't learning from our mistakes

We are about three months away from the start of our season. We still don't have a DoF. The people who help Ole bring in the players this summer to herald this "bright new dawn" will likely be the same people responsible for snapping up hot young talents Depay, Martial, Shaw, Lindelof, Bailly etc...doesn't fill me with confidence if I am honest!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I can't even force myself to be optimistic about anything. Who even says we are rebuilding? Most of these crap players will still be here next season.

SapperBRed75

Tempered by some seemingly poor and near-sighted strategic decision making since the beginning of the decade, I am looking forward to what comes next. Why not? As long as we don’t underestimate the scale of the task ahead, and don’t allow our sense of entitlement to creep back in (i.e. ‘Ole out’ banners if we’ve not secured our 21st league title in 2 seasons), then I’m excited to see how we turn this around. Top 4 next season please.

djembatheking

I just hope we stay away from signings like schweinsteiger , sanchez and matic . No Bale or Kroos or players of that ilk , huge fees and injuries , no legs .
A bit of energy and desire obviously with the ability and technique required . That alone would inspire a bit of hope .

Stubble

Ole has been putting far too much faith in the crap for me to be optimistic he can turn things around. Whilst the likes of Young, Jones and Lingard are regular starters there is NO hope.

TMTtR

Dear god some of you and your negativity.

I start to think deep down you are just all pu--ies in that you are so keen on predicting the bad future (which is easier to happen) so you could brag. Pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
No way. This is definitely the worst May since SAF retired.

2014 - Moyes was sacked.
2015 - we made the CL
2016 - LvG was sacked, Jose was hired, won the FA cup
2017 - made the CL, won the EL
2018 - finished 2nd, continued in the CL
2019 - 2 wins in 2 months, back in the EL - 0 reason to be positive.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
As long as the Glazers are in charge, nothing will change at the club.

SapperBRed75

Ole has been putting far too much faith in the crap for me to be optimistic he can turn things around. Whilst the likes of Young, Jones and Lingard are regular starters there is NO hope.
Ok. And if Jones, Young and Lingard are fit, relatively motivated and all you have? You have to get over the line with whatever’s available. Not sure how you can scapegoat Ole for that. What happens next is surely what’s important.

AnotherDayIsToday

...but the sky is dark and the sun has collapsed . Anyway tomorrow is a nice day as long as Mickey mouse is on TV...

Woziak

This. I am just amazed how many of the worms have crawled out.

No time to implement his systems, fitness work or even his own players -- and all the hysterics are out in force. Moyes had more pieces in place and time than Ole and we are calling for his head already.

If he sits on the bench staring -- Ole lacks passion for the job whilst Jose and LVG jumps up & down they were called narcissist and wanting to draw attention to themselves only.

He plays kids and some say he needs to be sacked and instead suggesting that we need 'experienced' players -- whilst Jose only bought 'experienced' players and the same folks say we need 'academy' kids who care.

Stop being so hysterical folks. Calm down and see what we do in the next couple of transfer windows before calling for his head. We need to see if there is progression after that.

Three proven managers have failed. And yet we keep pointing to the manager including one which is considered as the best if not a Top 3 manager in the world.

Even if we were to get Poch, these same worms will be yelling for his head within 18 months for not having won any silverware -- and calling him a poor choice as he has NEVER won any silverware in his life.

Then we will be back on to Pep and then the next manager. Any shiny new object.

Stop expanding your emotional energy on some scapegoat to the ills of your life. Learn to deal with reality.

Ole is here to stay and he isnt the cause of United's demise. He is United through & through and you cant ever doubt his will to fix it. We have had high-level coaches/managers who have failed. Maybe, just maybe its not the managerial position that the only problem.

If thats the case, maybe he will need all the support he can get and none of these hysterics.
Poch may have won the CL by then and become a United Legend by stopping Liverpool winning anything under Koop!

LonelyFire

Disclaimer: Please don’t moan. There should be plenty of other threads to do so.

Solskjær stated that he has had discussions with the board and they all know that they’ve got a massive job ahead of them with rebuilding the squad. It’s clear that the plan is to build towards having a young side with players filled with energy and desire as well as talent, or in other words a typical Manchester United side as we know the club from the SAF era. We’ve had Van Gaal who made a lot of terrible signings and then Mourinho who went against the «DNA» of the club with making short-term signings and players suited to cynical deep-lying football rather than very attacking.

We’ve now got in my opinion a manager that wants to make the ‘right’ signings. He wants to buy young players rather than overpaying for old established luxury players which has been the trend in recent years; Players who lack the desire that you need in order to get back to the top.

We have a young generation of very good players coming through. Greenwood is a great talent and will most likely be in the first team squad next season. He has been on fire for the reserves all season bagging in lots of goals. He’s ready to make the step up. We’ve also got players like Rashford and McTominay who are very talented and have a passion for the club. They care, and are willing to put in the required effort.

Add to that a few very good and established players like Lindelöf, Shaw, De Gea and obviously Pogba as well, though he’s absymal when the rest of the team isn’t performing. Things aren’t looking so bad.

We need to hire a Director of Football to make the job easier for Solskjær and to bring in some much needed consistency in regards to transfers. Then, we will undoubtedly spend quite a bit in the summer. A center back that will together with Lindelöf enable us to play out from the back will have a huge impact. A right back is likely to arrive too, unless the manager decides to put his faith in Dalot. Herrera and Fellaini are gone, so we’re going to buy at least one midfielder. Another attacker or two will arrive too.

My favourite statement from Ole is that he expects the players to be fit and ready when the pre-season starts at July 1st. They’ve got their own individual training programmes to follow during the summer break, and he won’t bring unfit players to the tour. Improving the fitness level during pre-season will be more emphasized too, especially compared to how it was under Mourinho. We’re also starting the season earlier than the rest of the Premier League teams since we have to play EL qualifiers.
The result should be a team that has improved on the previous season, has a manager that demands a lot and wants to play attacking football, a squad filled with young talent and perhaps most importantly a squad that has the fitness level and desire to work harder than the opponents.

No one expects us to compete with City and Liverpool for the title, but I genuinely believe we’ll see a team that we’ll actually start to like, with players worthy of wearing the Man Utd badge. Top 4 should be the target. 3rd or 4th with proper attacking Man United-football whilst seeing a young generation of players coming through coupled with other young signings. It’s going to be a good season.
Lindelof may have improved but let’s not get carried away - he’s absolutely not in the established bracket yet. As for Shaw, he continues to be miles short from a fitness perspective and fans would do well to notice how out of position he is on a game by game basis.

On the DoF - you do realise the Glazers have no intention of appointing one? There is a reason we haven’t confirmed anything -
Nobody wants that job where they have no influence on decisions. The person we do appoint as a technical director will be a token gesture but let’s not kid ourselves on, power will not be diluted away from the Glazers/Woodward.

I get the theme of what you are trying to say but you’re reaching on some of the points.

Siorac

If we adjust our expectations then sure. Let's just say our goal is top 8 and surviving a couple of rounds in each domestic cup.

Looking at that way, our future is incredibly bright: I'm very confident that we are well equipped to meet these expectations.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Lindelof may have improved but let’s not get carried away - he’s absolutely not in the established bracket yet. As for Shaw, he continues to be miles short from a fitness perspective and fans would do well to notice how out of position he is on a game by game basis.

On the DoF - you do realise the Glazers have no intention of appointing one? There is a reason we haven’t confirmed anything -
Nobody wants that job where they have no influence on decisions. The person we do appoint as a technical director will be a token gesture but let’s not kid ourselves on, power will not be diluted away from the Glazers/Woodward.

I get the theme of what you are trying to say but you’re reaching on some of the points.
How is Lindelöf not established when he’s been playing first team football for years and have been one of the two best players for us this season? I disagree about Shaw, I think his defensive positioning is fantastic.

Regarding the DoF, which is a role that can function in many different ways, you’re saying that the club has no intention of appointing a DoF but a technical director? You can call it what you want to be honest, but as a matter of fact none of us know for sure what the responsibilities of the person appointed will be. I think you’re reaching with your assumptions about how the role is going to function in the club.

Mal donaghy

Just like the post Busby era, its happened again, history repeated with sir Alex , this thing is gonna take YEARS, and while people still now keep harking on about the fergie way, and what things were, we will get nowhere, Ole is not the right guy for this mammoth task, so the immediate future will be hope(season start) , realism how shite we are (10 games into season) Ole sacked (rinse and repeat) that's the future comrades, until someone comes in and rips up backwards thinking and leads us to a brighter day (many years from now)
Jesus its depressing.

LonelyFire

How is Lindelöf not established when he’s been playing first team football for years and have been one of the two best players for us this season? I disagree about Shaw, I think his defensive positioning is fantastic.

Regarding the DoF, which is a role that can function in many different ways, you’re saying that the club has no intention of appointing a DoF but a technical director? You can call it what you want to be honest, but as a matter of fact none of us know for sure what the responsibilities of the person appointed will be. I think you’re reaching with your assumptions about how the role is going to function in the club.
Best players in a season where we have conceded a record amount of goals for a Manchester United side. Yes they have improved but supporter standards are dropping if we think they have done enough to be mainstays in a Utd side. If you think Shaw’s positioning is fantastic then we’ll never agree - he’s repeatedly too far up the pitch then isn’t fit enough to get back. Compare him against Robertson for example - nowhere near as productive from an attacking standpoint and not as fit.

I’m saying a DoF in the sense that other European clubs have will not exist at Utd and it’s the reason we don’t have one as yet. A DoF should have responsibility across all football operations - that includes driving recruitment, age groups, thinking about future etc. There is no way the glazers are going to let someone have that kind of control over expenditure. Best we are going to get is an ex Utd player who knows the club. That might be a good thing but it’s not going to be a structure that other clubs have.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Totally agree. The "club DNA" was basically Fergie, and when he retired that DNA retired with him. Enough with this United way and DNA bullshit.
The United Way, is to win. Plain and simple.
That's something we are struggling with, right now.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We have a mountain Everest to climb and it will take us at least another 5 years to become top team again. The premier league is the most competitive league in the world right now (English dominating the final places for both CL and Europa, the 1st place and 2nd place finish with 98 and 97 points in the league), and we are in the biggest mess in club recent 30 years of history. Its not going to be very bright in the near future for us my friend.

Last edited:

Macern

Pee pee pants
Best players in a season where we have conceded a record amount of goals for a Manchester United side. Yes they have improved but supporter standards are dropping if we think they have done enough to be mainstays in a Utd side. If you think Shaw’s positioning is fantastic then we’ll never agree - he’s repeatedly too far up the pitch then isn’t fit enough to get back. Compare him against Robertson for example - nowhere near as productive from an attacking standpoint and not as fit.

I’m saying a DoF in the sense that other European clubs have will not exist at Utd and it’s the reason we don’t have one as yet. A DoF should have responsibility across all football operations - that includes driving recruitment, age groups, thinking about future etc. There is no way the glazers are going to let someone have that kind of control over expenditure. Best we are going to get is an ex Utd player who knows the club. That might be a good thing but it’s not going to be a structure that other clubs have.
Your interpretation of a DoF and his areas of responsibility is too narrow in my opinion. Sure, we’ll probably not see anyone with as much control as some other clubs like Dortmund for instance, but that’s not to say that the structure can be very good even if the DoF is a bit more restricted. Solskjær has stated that he has the final word when it comes to transfers, and that can be just as good as a DoF having the final word. He’s the manager after all.

Robertson is a different left back compared to Shaw. Much more influential in attack, yes. Higher workrate, yes. I think Shaw is a better defender. Overall, Robertson is currently perhaps the best left back in the world which I think is largely due to the fact that he’s playing in a highly functional team. Shaw is in my opinion the second left back in the league, though I’m sure you’re going to disagree strongly with that so no point in discussing it further in this thread :)

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I pretty much agree with the thread starter.
But along the way there will be the usual detours.
But we will get there.
There are no instant solutions.
We are behind the top two by a fair bit.

Hard work and doing the sensible things always brings its own rewards.

Yakuza_devils

How can we be positive when we know for sure that next year City will be getting 95-100 points and win the league again? Liverpool will be there or thereabouts if they can maintain their form. Both of them will be challenging for CL again.

For us the best we can hope for is to be in Top 4 comfortably and no more dog fights. For next season, we must demand attacking football as minimum and not the dross Ole was playing the team after PSG game.

Our manager already said that it will be miracle if we can challenge for the title so nothing to be positive about for next season except meeting the minimum of Top 4.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I admire the optimism but the club is in a tailspin in terms of football. There’s no telling where we might end up. We are nowhere near rock bottom yet.

Robertd0803

Agree somewhat. Things can change a lot quickly, Liverpool were behind us last season and look at them now. Not worried about not attracting big players since look at who Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal have aquired without being at the top of the tree.
Yeah, its not too long ago Liverpool were getting twonked by Stoke on the final day of the season while finishing in obscurity.

Still dont think we would have a hope of attracting the top top tier talent but then again Im not sure we ever really did.
(RvP maybe?)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Disclaimer: Please don’t moan. There should be plenty of other threads to do so.

Solskjær stated that he has had discussions with the board and they all know that they’ve got a massive job ahead of them with rebuilding the squad. It’s clear that the plan is to build towards having a young side with players filled with energy and desire as well as talent, or in other words a typical Manchester United side as we know the club from the SAF era. We’ve had Van Gaal who made a lot of terrible signings and then Mourinho who went against the «DNA» of the club with making short-term signings and players suited to cynical deep-lying football rather than very attacking.

We’ve now got in my opinion a manager that wants to make the ‘right’ signings. He wants to buy young players rather than overpaying for old established luxury players which has been the trend in recent years; Players who lack the desire that you need in order to get back to the top.

We have a young generation of very good players coming through. Greenwood is a great talent and will most likely be in the first team squad next season. He has been on fire for the reserves all season bagging in lots of goals. He’s ready to make the step up. We’ve also got players like Rashford and McTominay who are very talented and have a passion for the club. They care, and are willing to put in the required effort.

Add to that a few very good and established players like Lindelöf, Shaw, De Gea and obviously Pogba as well, though he’s absymal when the rest of the team isn’t performing. Things aren’t looking so bad.

We need to hire a Director of Football to make the job easier for Solskjær and to bring in some much needed consistency in regards to transfers. Then, we will undoubtedly spend quite a bit in the summer. A center back that will together with Lindelöf enable us to play out from the back will have a huge impact. A right back is likely to arrive too, unless the manager decides to put his faith in Dalot. Herrera and Fellaini are gone, so we’re going to buy at least one midfielder. Another attacker or two will arrive too.

My favourite statement from Ole is that he expects the players to be fit and ready when the pre-season starts at July 1st. They’ve got their own individual training programmes to follow during the summer break, and he won’t bring unfit players to the tour. Improving the fitness level during pre-season will be more emphasized too, especially compared to how it was under Mourinho. We’re also starting the season earlier than the rest of the Premier League teams since we have to play EL qualifiers.
The result should be a team that has improved on the previous season, has a manager that demands a lot and wants to play attacking football, a squad filled with young talent and perhaps most importantly a squad that has the fitness level and desire to work harder than the opponents.

No one expects us to compete with City and Liverpool for the title, but I genuinely believe we’ll see a team that we’ll actually start to like, with players worthy of wearing the Man Utd badge. Top 4 should be the target. 3rd or 4th with proper attacking Man United-football whilst seeing a young generation of players coming through coupled with other young signings. It’s going to be a good season.
Van Gaal’s signings were only terrible in hindsight, most were very good proven players, the oldest of whom was 30. Mourinho didn’t actually sign ‘cynical players suited to deep-lying football’ either. That’s just a caf parable that has become fact. There’s this myth that Van Gaal bought a bunch of ‘possession-based players’ who Jose game and got rid of, but the reality is that’s just a fabrication.

There’s been little wrong with the players we have bought, other than us not having a clue what to do with them. If that continues under Ole then it doesn’t matter whether we buy young or old, British or foreign - the day or getting good players and just telling them to go and get on with it will no longer bring success. Conversely, if Ole genuinely has a clue and is able to transmit it - then we will improve on this season even if we don’t make a single change to the playing staff.