The Gareth SouthGOAT Appreciation Club ft. no fun at all

rpitchfo

Halo slipped a little for me tonight. Happy with the tactics but he left it too late to make any changes and then made the wrong ones.

How it took 10 minutes to take an injured young off I’ll never know.

Good at interviews though.

Smithy89

Where was this proper geezer during the awful cappelo and woy years. This world cup is making me love football again.

Josep Dowling

I agree with the general view but this bit it patently untrue. You can see the smugness and arrogance creeping back in with every successful string of passes. Thankfully the players don't seem to believe the online hype which has now clearly passed being ironic.
C’mon I really don’t think there is arrogance. There is the typical lads culture hype on social media with ‘its coming home’ but I think there is genuine shock that this team keeps surprising.

I for one didn’t watch the shoot out just expecting the inevitable disappointment. Winning that penalty shootout is a huge phycological boost for England teams going forward for a generation. Linekar even said he had a tear in his eye.

Jacko21

Halo slipped a little for me tonight. Happy with the tactics but he left it too late to make any changes and then made the wrong ones.

How it took 10 minutes to take an injured young off I’ll never know.

Good at interviews though.
Think the Dier substitution shows how being wedded to a system can be quickly undermined.

At best it was premature, at worst it felt like sabotaging good work.

He’s been fantastic, just needs to get the changes that aren’t like-for-like right.

Josep Dowling

Think the Dier substitution shows how being wedded to a system can be quickly undermined.

He’s been fantastic, just needs to get the changes that aren’t like-for-like right.
Tend to agree. Alli didn’t look fit again and should have come off earlier. Same with Sterling who did nothing but give the ball away. I’m still hoping he will come good though, I feel he needs to play wider.

Making changes with less than 20 minutes is a bit silly to me. I think players need at least half an hour to settle into a game.

RedFish

Impressed that we weren't bullied by Colombia. It would have been easy to have had a player sent off, but matching their aggression for a period when it was needed without overdoing it was impressive. Unrealistic to expect. a decent side (all teams left in the WC) not to have their 15 mins or so, but England nearly got it done in the 90 mins.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

My only concern. He's tactically astute enough to set a team up. But any attempted deviation from that through substitutions hasn't gone well for him yet.

Aboutreika18

Comes across as very likeable and intelligent in his pre-match and post match comments.

Definitely needs to develop tactically though. The lack of a flexible setup to change formations, despite that being a feature of any teams that have played with a back three in the past (Tabarez's Uruguay and Bielsa's Chile for example) is not very clever.

RedFish

My only concern. He's tactically astute enough to set a team up. But any attempted deviation from that through substitutions hasn't gone well for him yet.
Just moving away from the shoehorning of the perceived best XI players into a system is huge progress. A breath of fresh air is Southgate and a truely modern manager. His appointment has actually reinvigorated my hopes for the England national team. That and the potential showed by the junior England teams boxes well for future tournaments.

Tony Babangida

The accusations of arrogance are doing my head in. Are we not allowed to enjoy England doing well in a tournament after the years of mediocrity?! So what's if we speculate on our route to the final and get excited about it. Better than sitting at home with a dour face on pointing out all the faults with the team. World Cup is only every 4 years, got to enjoy it while we're doing well, might not happen again for a decade!

Gazza SouthGreat is a bloody hero. He can take that brown paper bag off his head and be proud of the job he's done getting one of the least fancied England sides to the quarters. Anything beyond here is a bonus!

Reactions: Penna

padr81

Supports
Man City
Regardless of how things go, the FA, the media and fans need to stick by him and this squad for now. It's a young manager with a young squad who will probably peak in 2022. So give him the Euro's and the next WC and see what he does with them. Even if we got a 5-0 hiding off Sweden, stick by him and this group.

Very few of this starting XI will be too old come 2022 and with the excellent youth teams he could be on to something. If we have to take our lumps even at the next Euro's no harm.
Pickford, Stones, McGuire, Sterling, Lingard, Rashford, Kane, Alli, Loftus-Cheek, TAA will all be at or closer to their peaks, with talents like the Sessegnon's, Foden, Sancho, Gomes, Lewis Cook and Chelsea's army of ridiculously talented youth all in their early 20's. There is huge potential in the set up. Stick to Southgate, stick to his style and give them time to achieve.

Giggs86

Very likable guy and fair fecks to him for making England likable again, for the first time in more than a decade. A breath of fresh air.

99withaflake

After Southgate's penalty nightmare in 96, and the impact it must have had on him at the time, to then build the confidence of a group of young players and oversee them coming though their big moment....I'm just so bloody happy for him.

maniwin

One of the best thing he does is dropping Smalling no matter what performance he did with United , not only the guy would have caught by VAR couple of times for his tendency to grab shirt , he would also ruin their build up from the back. 3 CB Walker ,Stones and Mcguire were all comfortable with the ball.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He has done very good job, more than anything three is a feel good factor in the team (At least from outside). When Rio said how they didn't talk much with Liverpool or Chelsea players and then you see Lingard sharing videos with Sterling and TAA, it's sort of obvious that they are playing and thinking as a team rather than as players from so and so clubs.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
One of the best thing he does is dropping Smalling no matter what performance he did with United , not only the guy would have caught by VAR couple of times for his tendency to grab shirt , he would also ruin their build up from the back. 3 CB Walker ,Stones and Mcguire were all comfortable with the ball.
Ruin their build up play from the back? We are talking about a team that haven't scored a goal from open play except against Panama. If anything England have done well and reached so far because of their set pieces, not because of some build up play from back. Kane barely had a chance from open play and you are saying building up play from back.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He's been lucky, we were in a group with Tunisia and Panama.

Lost to Belgium, scrape through against Colombia who missing their key player. Ref was biased towards us too I think.

We've scored one goal from open play. Sweden wil be 50/50.

When Hendo missed his pen, the next Colombia pen hit the underside of the bar. That goes in we're out pretty much.

Roy, Fabio or even Sven would be doing the same with the luck we've had.

99withaflake

Ruin their build up play from the back? We are talking about a team that haven't scored a goal from open play except against Panama. If anything England have done well and reached so far because of their set pieces, not because of some build up play from back. Kane barely had a chance from open play and you are saying building up play from back.
I fully agree with @maniwin. England have been impressive with their ball possession at the back, and have used it well as a platform to build attacks. In previous tournaments, we've looked uncomfortable playing keep ball and inevitably resort to long balls. We gave away possession too cheaply, especially in big games. Finally, we're catching up, and the defence's confidence and ability to keep possession of the ball before moving it on is a key part of that.

The defence has actually done really well at transferring the ball to more attacking players, either through picking a pass or making good distance before a lay off. They have provided attacking players with plenty of opportunities to put pressure on the opposition and create openings. It is because of players such as Sterling, Lingard and Alli that England haven't created enough in open play, not the defenders who are giving them those opportunities which only come about which patient ball possession.

Traub

Very likable guy and fair fecks to him for making England likable again, for the first time in more than a decade. A breath of fresh air.
Have to admit I usually cheer against England due to the arrogance. But at moment, I find myself wanting to win and it’s largely down to Southgate. For example, he got rid of Rooney - you just know that big Sam would’ve still had him in the squad at the least.

Treble

There is a spirit of togetherness in this team and the manager is arguably the big reason for it.

Judas

Open to offers
I agree with the general view but this bit it patently untrue. You can see the smugness and arrogance creeping back in with every successful string of passes. Thankfully the players don't seem to believe the online hype which has now clearly passed being ironic.
It's called confidence.

They do believe they're good enough, which is why they didn't shit themselves yesterday and lose on penalties.

This group is clearly mentally stronger than recent England teams.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Lost to Belgium, scrape through against Colombia who missing their key player. Ref was biased towards us too I think.

When Hendo missed his pen, the next Colombia pen hit the underside of the bar. That goes in we're out pretty much.

That's the spirit!

99withaflake

Did you enjoy the feeling of winning though?

Icemav

Yes we are totally overestimating his achievements at the moment.

Credit has rightly been given because he has favored youth and possibility over conservative failure. However our team and squad are lacking a few things (like a midfield) and he has been very lucky that we haven't faced a top team yet.

Also the consistent playing of Sterling despite being utterly useless is that appalling habit of a manager picking on reputation..... hoping for the best in spite of clear evidence that it is bad decision.

I never tire of watching that sort of thing being brutally exposed. And last night we came very close to it.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers

Imagine being this utterly joyless. You're English, aren't you? How you can be so bloody miserable after last night makes me wonder what pleasure you even take from football.

99withaflake

Imagine being this utterly joyless. You're English, aren't you? How you can be so bloody miserable after last night makes me wonder what pleasure you even take from football.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't want to accuse people of being too depressing, because they may well be clinically depressed, but it's probably best not to watch football if your country wins it's first ever World Cup penalty shootout and you're clearly not enjoying the moment.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain

Don’t be silly. Their managerial styles clearly hindered the the national sides over the years. Look at the games we lost, i mean Iceland ffs. Algeria 0-0, one of the worst performances ever. Rambling on about our luck in Penalty shootouts, Pickford saved the last one so had he scored the one that smashed the bar it would have still continued on. Lost the Belgium friendly, big deal. We’ve not made it out of easy groups before. Give your head a wobble ffs and get behind him.

Tony Babangida

Things Gazza S does better than any other manager:

1) Wear a waistcoat
2) Star in pizza adds
3) Look a bit like he's Gary Neville's cousin
4) Perfect the art of the attacking corner VAR combination

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Feck off!

Haddock

:lol: why have you made that up? Strange.
If you can't see it then you are the willfully blind one, not me. A vocal section of English fans and the English media are a really unpleasant lot with their hubris about 'the easier side of the draw'. It really is to Southgate's credit that he hasn't bought into this crap.
It's called confidence.

They do believe they're good enough, which is why they didn't shit themselves yesterday and lose on penalties.

This group is clearly mentally stronger than recent England teams.
If you read that again I said it was clear the players didn't believe the crap. You can see they practiced pens, every single one (bar Dier) was a good penalty, even Henderson (Ospina's save was miraculous). To actually see England do well in a shootout is cathartic. Pretty sure all of us supporting England thought it was game over when Yerry Mina knocked that in.

I don't know if the individual players are mentally stronger, the old gen won CL finals and league trophies for their clubs but the collective probably is stronger.
C’mon I really don’t think there is arrogance. There is the typical lads culture hype on social media with ‘its coming home’ but I think there is genuine shock that this team keeps surprising.

I for one didn’t watch the shoot out just expecting the inevitable disappointment. Winning that penalty shootout is a huge phycological boost for England teams going forward for a generation. Linekar even said he had a tear in his eye.
Didn't watch it? Weak :wenger:

It's a bit of both I think. The lad culture hype clearly believes England will rock up and pump Sweden now. We've scored two goals from open play so far and one was a complete fluke. We created virtually nothing of note last night, depended on Kane provoking Sanchez with a canny bit of shithousery and remember Sweden have only conceded two goals so far , one of those a pretty spectacular FK.

I think the shootout win was cathartic but will it actually 'boost' the players? Beat Spain on pens and still went out on pens in the same tournament so anything is possible.

For whatever it's worth, I think England will struggle but probably win against Sweden and I will be supporting England - as always.

Rednotdead

Too loyal to players in his selections. Sterling should be nowhere near an England shirt but he seems to be an automatic choice. 41 games in now, 2 goals scored. It's not as if he contributes anything else.

Alli is just any bloke in off the street, wearing an England shirt.

Icemav

Too loyal to players in his selections. Sterling should be nowhere near an England shirt but he seems to be an automatic choice. 41 games in now, 2 goals scored. It's not as if he contributes anything else.

Alli is just any bloke in off the street, wearing an England shirt.
Every time I see that stat it just astounds me. He doesn't even have the Rooney argument of having painfully inconsistent general play but still contributes with goals or assists. Or alternatively the general play of Benzema despite lacking a few goals. He actually contributes NOTHING apart from killing every attack that comes in his direction. I actually struggle to comprehend how bad he is in an England shirt.

Why is he still getting starts?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Plus where's this one goal from open play come from? Four against Panama and two against Tunisia unless I'm mistaken?

I'm sure as hell not getting carried away after last night, and it's true we haven't put any big beasts to the sword (and as it turns out we won't have to until the final), but why do we need to make stuff up to make ourselves sound shit?