Television The Gentlemen (netflix series)

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah the show is alright. Watched it over the weekend with my mate, it's entertaining. Usual Guy Ritchie tropes, some of which are frankly ludicrous, and it's entirely uninteresting from an aesthetic perspective. But it's a fine, fun watch.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah the show is alright. Watched it over the weekend with my mate, it's entertaining. Usual Guy Ritchie tropes, some of which are frankly ludicrous, and it's entirely uninteresting from an aesthetic perspective. But it's a fine, fun watch.
that's what she said, about you.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Richie varies from excellent (Snatch) through watchably entertaining (The Gentelman) to unwatchable bilge. Which always makes it a gamble watching anything he makes.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Onto episode 6, really enjoying the show it’s great fun, but my god Max Beesley’s accent is absolutely awful :lol:

diarm

I thought the first episode was outstanding, the middle ones alright and the ending absolutely dogshit.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Pretty cool that Ray Winstone is finally in a guy Ritchie project. He was supposed to play hatchet Harry in lock stock.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Not really interested in watching this, mainly because I really like the movie so I don't think it would live up to it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Definitely diminishing returns. I’m still only about 4 episodes in but liking it less and less with each one. Particularly dislike the way he repeatedly skips through action scenes, then does a recap in flashback. Apart from anything else, they’re so muddled and confusing it’s hard to work out what happened.

Am really only sticking with it because I like the two leads so much. Plus some of the supporting acts. Ok, basically just Vinnie Jones.

hobbers

Yeah it gets very dull towards the end. It sets a lot of stuff up and then fails to deliver anything decent in the last 2 episodes.

Bringing back just the 3 oddball groups for the bidding makes the whole thing seem miniscule.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Very enjoyable. The stylisation is great, from the daftness to the OTT cliche characters. I think it gets it just right, where you know its on purpose and leans in to it. Could’ve been a bigger ending, but I didn’t mind it.

2 man midfield

I think Ritchie really benefits from the drawn out TV format. I like his movies (love the first 2) but they’re always pretty convoluted affairs. With just 2 hours to introduce a shit tonne of characters, flesh them out, set up a complex plot and have it all pay off, it can be a bit much.

5 episodes in and really enjoying this so far.

MiceOnMeth

Only watched the first ep. It was okay - didn't really laugh at any of the jokes

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Yea its pretty good, but isnt out of this world good. The main female character is brilliant though.

Walter Sobchak

Found it very watchable whilst working from home this week, blazed it in about 2 days. Nothing ground breaking or award winning but certainly delivered what I thought it would.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah it’s nothing special but it’s a lot of fun. Theo James is very charismatic. He’d be a good bond.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Is fun, like someone said earlier, Ritchie's storytelling is better suited for the long format of a TV series.

I am however, constantly irritated by the accents of the Hornimans. Its just not very toff-ish. Very middle class.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah it’s nothing special but it’s a lot of fun. Theo James is very charismatic. He’d be a good bond.
Yeah, he’s very good. The female lead is excellent too. The whole thing is extremely well cast, which helps with forgiving a lot of the less good stuff.

Took me ages to work out where the feck I’d seen Max Beesley before. So depressing when heart throb actors from films I watched in my youth suddenly look absolutely ancient.

2 man midfield

The only criticism I have of the female lead is she’s quite similar to the female lead from the film. Still great though. Other than that, and there being an underground bunker of weed I don’t really see any similarities.

it’s basically breaking bad set in England with toff guys.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ray Winstone is such a treat every time he shows up on screen. Incredible actor.

Vinnie Jones is really good in this as well.

Really enjoyed this show, some elements that could be improved upon but overall really good, looking forward to season 2