Television The Grand Tour (Prime Video)

Blatzo

I've thought about it a little more and, out of a 6 episode series (I think there are more than that), you'd probably put your worst one on second... wouldn't you?

Flames73

The special forces, at parts were funny, but the number of times it was repeated was more than necessary. It felt like a filter cause there was just not enough content.

Celebrity braincrash, hope that is the last of. it.

Making James do something he doesn't like while exploring local car culture can be quite a nice feature.

The track lacks something at the moment.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
The special forces, at parts were funny, but the number of times it was repeated was more than necessary. It felt like a filter cause there was just not enough content.

Celebrity braincrash, hope that is the last of. it.

Making James do something he doesn't like while exploring local car culture can be quite a nice feature.

The track lacks something at the moment.
Agreed with all of that. As for the track I feel the camera work isn't wide enough. We go no idea of the speed they get up to either on the straights or when they're taking corners. As for the American. I was hoping he would be a one off, ( This week the south african, next wekk the Brit and so on) but no and I'd rather they just muted him.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Thought this one was a bit shit. Like a very run of the mill Top Gear.
Problem for me seems, its not enough Top Gear. They were at their best when doing everyday stuff their special way, best TG episodes were like watching three unlikely buddies having a fun time together. Scripted or not, that was when their timing was perfect and they were authentic.
That army bit was like watching three not-so-talented comedians in a not-very-funny movie.

Same with the fat not-the-stig. Simply not funny.

Given how much money they are throwing at this they should do better than that.
True.

Dante

Average bang
It's a comedy show written by people who aren't comedy writers.

If they stuck to the things they're good at (as they did in episode 1) the show would be much better for it. In particular, the slap-stick in the Special Forces bit was really badly acted.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Problem for me seems, its not enough Top Gear. They were at their best when doing everyday stuff their special way, best TG episodes were like watching three unlikely buddies having a fun time together. Scripted or not, that was when their timing was perfect and they were authentic.
That army bit was like watching three not-so-talented comedians in a not-very-funny movie.

Same with the fat not-the-stig. Simply not funny.

True.
If anything it was far too much like later Top Gear episodes. The special forces segment was basically a bigger budget version of the scripted shite they were churning out.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Agree second episode wasn't great. The special forces thing was crap - what was the point of it, at least other 'entertainment' is usually car focused when it isn't funny.

How hard is it to make a good Top Gear episode these days?

antsmithmk

Hates women.
I enjoyed it... 6 out of 10 I would say.

A few bits are naff but you got that with top gear too.

The stig needs to go.

The new track doesn't seem big enough to give a wide camera shot. No real sense of speed in short clips stitched together. At least on the old track that long straight with the tyre wall allowed you to get some sense of speed.

C3Pique

Second ep was very poor. My favourite TG bits were always the unscripted, off the cuff bits that showed the presenters natural relationship. The whole thing felt fake including the bits in the studio. Perhaps they are trying too hard to write something that everyone will like and not be offended by, but it was that real, close to the wind style that made TG what it was in the first place.

Hopefully it will get better as it goes. The road trip eps in TG were always good, where their reactions to the situations that were unfolding couldn't be pre planned.

IrishRick

That second episode was worse than any episode the new Top Gear put on. The whole Jordan army part was pointless. Celebrity death again when it was plainly not funny first episode. The American driver can piss off, no charisma.

May doing something he didn't like was good but too short.

Fingers crossed the rest are like the first episode because this felt like a waste of time to watch.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of the American in season 2. They got rid of one of the hosts in the first season of the old new Top Gear and replaced him with May.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Haven't watched the second episode but first thoughts.. American guy is fecking shite, fat bastard is not up to the job and bored me to tears. Their new 'dangerous' track looks really amatuerish and at odds with the high production value of the rest of the episode.

The Porsche v Ferrera v McLaren segment was stunning. Brilliant stuff.

Norris

I just tried to watch it and every time Clarkson and the likes talked it was muted but you could hear the laughter?
Did you "acquire" the episode? I had the same issue, before getting a genuine version of it.

Didn't like Episode 2. The comedy seemed forced and awkward in the special forces segment. Even their usual unscripted banter in the Tent was a little off.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Post 116 explains what happened.
Ah I see. No worries I have got a proper version now.. Not as good as the first episode but it isn't that bad either. I actually found the South African number segment quite funny.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm a bit disappointed that the stuff I assumed was a joke in the first, are actually regular things. Especially grating are the fat American, and Hammond's acting during the talking segments.

Also the lap board is just cheesy and that celebrity bit was only amusing the first two deaths, it's just lame now. I agree with others too, the new track just looks terrible, especially with the idiot behind the wheel.

On par with new Top Gear for me that episode.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'm a bit disappointed that the stuff I assumed was a joke in the first, are actually regular things. Especially grating are the fat American, and Hammond's acting during the talking segments.

Also the lap board is just cheesy and that celebrity bit was only amusing the first two deaths, it's just lame now. I agree with others too, the new track just looks terrible, especially with the idiot behind the wheel.

On par with new Top Gear for me that episode.
Yeah the 2nd episode was garbage. Hopefully the 3rd sees a return to the levels of the first one as I thought that was great. Always enjoyed the episodes where they buy a car each and set off to achieve something so much better than anything else they offer. With it being called grand tour I think we'll see more of them types of journeys throughout the series.

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
I thought the first episode was very average, my attention drifted a lot. I was hoping they'd really try and shake up the format a bit, but to be honest found it quite stale already.

Panther

First episode was decent, 2nd wasn't great. Think the best episodes of old Top Gear was when they did challenges (Polar, Nile etc), they have the budget to do these every week now so they should do it more. 'Conversation Street' is a good element, I like it when they speak about new supercars and all of that but the celebrity thing needs to stop. Overall, it feels like some parts are dragged out too long and they're trying too hard to be funny and not focusing enough on actually being entertaining. Old Top Gear did have its funny parts but they felt more natural (even if they were scripted) but here it just feels like they're trying too hard.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Second episode was so difficult to finish. Didn't enjoy a second of it.

Big Andy

Bloke
First episode was decent, 2nd wasn't great. Think the best episodes of old Top Gear was when they did challenges (Polar, Nile etc), they have the budget to do these every week now so they should do it more. 'Conversation Street' is a good element, I like it when they speak about new supercars and all of that but the celebrity thing needs to stop. Overall, it feels like some parts are dragged out too long and they're trying too hard to be funny and not focusing enough on actually being entertaining. Old Top Gear did have its funny parts but they felt more natural (even if they were scripted) but here it just feels like they're trying too hard.
This is what I was thinking...

The one last week, the SAS thingy one, was far too scripted, had zero to do with cars at all, and was, well, shit...

the celebrity brain crash thing is rubbish, the American is rubbish...some things aren't working...

Coxy

The first episode was good. The second one was shit. I hate the overly scripted parts - and the army bit was just bonkers. Car show please?

Hope it's back to form in the third one..

Minkaro

I thought the special forces thing was OK, but overlong. A lot of it could have been cut out in favour of something else.

I also don't like the American.

NinjaFletch

Put it this way though. I'd rather have the two unfunny minutes of celebrities dying than the 10 minutes of actual interviews.

As long as they're building it up to 'we had to cancel this segment because everyone was dead' its bearable for me.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
First one was ok but cant stand the american audience and the nascar driver. Second episode was ok but never understood the special forces thing, at the moment it feels overly scripted like the 3 of them dont feel natural in the way they are presenting.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I thought the first episode was amazing, top notch stuff all the way through (except the fat American). The 2nd was quite awful though.. Why did they even do that army thing? It had nothing to do with anything.. or are they going to try rock climbing in the next episode? Maybe a bowling tournament after that?.. Stick to car stuff please! If they are going to c*ck about doing random stuff then at least make it a 3min clip, not the main story of the entire show.

I also liked when they said that the new Aston hypercar is the only car to have a power-to-weight ratio of 1hp/kg, completely ignoring or "forgetting" the Koeniggsegg One:1.

NinjaFletch

This episode is getting a better reaction than the last one but I thought it was a bit shit again.

It had its moments, which is more than you can say for last week, but it still felt too forced, stale and unfunny for large parts.

Last edited: