The Greatest Athlete/Sportsman of all time: Poll Added

• Thread starter Deleted member 101472
  • Start date

Who is the greatest athlete/sportsman of all time ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Lukaku. I love the big fella.

The Bloody-Nine

I found this.

Hacking group, Fancy Bear group has alleged that the World Anti-Doping Agency allowed United States tennis players Serena and Venus Williams to take banned substances, while gymnast Simone Biles failed a doping test yet avoided disqualification.

According to the group, which released Wada documents after hacking the agency, former No. 1 tennis player Serena Williams was allowed to take banned substances such as oxycodone, hydromorphone, prednisone and methylprednisolone in 2010, 2014 and 2015.

Also, the group alleged that Venus Williams was allowed to take prednisone, prednisolone and triamcinolone among others in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Meanwhile, WADA confirmed on Tuesday that the group had been able to access athlete data, including confidential medical reports, related to the Rio Olympics and subsequently released it into the public domain.

WADA’s Director General, Olivier Niggli said “ WADA deeply regrets this situation and is very conscious of the threat that it represents to athletes whose confidential information has been divulged through this criminal act.”
http://citybusinessnews.com/how-venus-and-serena-williams-failed-drug-test/

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Sports I feel like I can comment on:
American Football: Aaron Rodgers
Basketball: Michael Jordan/Lebron James
Boxing: Woman Beater
Cricket: Don Bradman
Football: Lionel Messi/Diego Maradona
Formula 1: Ayrton Senna/Nicholas Prost/Fernando Alonso/Lewis Hamilton
Golf: Jack Nicklaus/Tiger Woods
Ice Hockey: Wayne Gretzky (Mario Lemieux not to be sniffed at though)
Tennis: Roger Federer

Deleted member 101472

Mate XXXTentacion was a rapper not a boxer.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We should probably define what a great athlete actually is. Some of the people on the list literally hit a ball with a stick and then walk after it.

altodevil

We should probably define what a great athlete actually is. Some of the people on the list literally hit a ball with a stick and then walk after it.
Would probably limit it to, well, track athletes really. Every other sport is just good athleticism with excellent technique.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Would probably limit it to, well, track athletes really. Every other sport is just good athleticism with excellent technique.
I generally limit things to people who exert some form of cardio. Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus are obviously goat calibre golfers but I just don't associate golf with any sort of tangible physical exertion. To me its a bit like sport fishing or chess.

altodevil

I generally limit things to people who exert some form of cardio. Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus are obviously goat calibre golfers but I just don't associate golf with any sort of tangible physical exertion. To me its a bit like sport fishing or chess.
I'd say it's very comparable to throwing an american football though.

Deleted member 101472

Chucked the word sportsman into the title to cover this I.e. best at your sport gets you consideration.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Clearly one of the numerous record setting cross country skiiers from Norway.

Skills

Snitch
Usain Bolt.

The fastest man to ever live - and by a huge margin.

9.69 - didn't even try for this one :lol: It's been 10 years and 2 people have only managed to match this one going all out.

Deleted member 101472

I think one of the metrics that should be used is how far ahead they are of the next best person in the sport, and of all the names there Wayne Gretzky’s numbers are absurd.

He had 1963 assists in his career, and the next closest is 1247.

He had 894 goals and the next closest is 801.

For those who aren’t familiar with how it works in NHL, you get 1 point for every goal and assist. Gretzky finished on 2857 points. Second place all time Jaromir jagr has 1921, but played almost 250 games more.

His records IMO are the ones that seem most likely to never be broken.
Just noticed that Gretzky Total assist number is higher than anyone else’s TOTAL points number :lol:

Skills

Snitch
For tennis - Djokovic has played the game at the highest level out of any player ever.

2011-12 was already historic where he beat another all time great player in 3 grand slam finals in a row. Also had Nadal number on clay - one of the most difficult challenges in all of sport.

Then 2015-16 he held all 4 GrandSlam together and also beat Nadal at Roland Garros - which is probably the most difficult challenge in 1v1 sport.

Deleted member 101472

For tennis - Djokovic has played the game at the highest level out of any player ever.

2011-12 was already historic where he beat another all time great player in 3 grand slam finals in a row. Also had Nadal number on clay - one of the most difficult challenges in all of sport.

Then 2015-16 he held all 4 GrandSlam together and also beat Nadal at Roland Garros - which is probably the most difficult challenge in 1v1 sport.
Beating mayweather significantly more difficult.

RORY65

Tiger Woods is the best sportsman I've seen in my lifetime, his performances at his best (Pebble Beach in 2000 being an obvious example) were so far ahead of anyone else and much more statistically anomalous than many of the other greats mentioned

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

The man obsessively gambled overnight and slept for 40 minutes before playoff games while winning 3 consecutive championships twice in his career.

Deleted member 101472

The man obsessively gambled overnight and slept for 40 minutes before playoff games while winning 3 consecutive championships twice in his career.
"I have to be honest. Practice for me was a waste of time"- Bo Jackson.

Deleted member 101472

"Practice?"

- Allen Iverson
:lol: touche.

Im still favouring gretzky overall though The distance between him and his rivals is by far the biggest which has to count for something. and Ice Hockey is a very demanding sport.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
No such thing as the greatest sportsman. It’s impossibly subjective. Some true greats mentioned in this thread though.

Deleted member 101472

No such thing as the greatest sportsman. It’s impossibly subjective. Some true greats mentioned in this thread though.
if you had to pick one, who would it be? If you don't choose, floyd mayweather gets to do speedball on your nutsack.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
if you had to pick one, who would it be? If you don't choose, floyd mayweather gets to do speedball on your nutsack.
Paul Warhurst. In Championship Manager 96 he could play every position. Unprecedented versatility.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Pele (Cristiano is a runner up), Muhammad Ali and Usain Bolt for me. Phelps and Gretzky (don't know shit about hockey) are also in consideration.
If I had to choose one, I would probably go with Bolt — the man competes in the most demanding era and makes literally everyone else look like little kids around him.

Included not only the best sportsmen but also athletes — which excludes Messi and Maradona, for example.

Deleted member 101472

Pele (Cristiano is a runner up), Muhammad Ali and Usain Bolt for me. Phelps and Gretzky (don't know shit about hockey) are also in consideration.
If I had to choose one, I would probably go with Bolt — the man competes in the most demanding era and makes literally everyone else look like little kids around him.

Included not only the best sportsmen but also athletes — which excludes Messi and Maradona, for example.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Wayne_Gretzky

its just nuts.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I'm intrigued by your omission of Schumacher from the F1 listing.