The Greatest Athlete/Sportsman of all time: Poll Added

• Thread starter Deleted member 101472
  • Start date

Who is the greatest athlete/sportsman of all time ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No he should probably come off the list for some handball player.
You don't have to act like a twat. Now, if you put Bo Jackson then you can add Walter Payton, Jackie Robinson, Jim Brown or Willie Mays.

Deleted member 101472

Well-known yes, but nowhere close to being comfortably better than either of them.
That’s part of it though when you’re trying to give someone their place historically.

I think it’s pretty telling that almost all the athletes on there were doing their thing before the internet really took off. In 50 years that list will probably look a lot different, and the passage of time will be kind to the likes of Floyd mayweather.

Deleted member 101472

You don't have to act like a twat. Now, if you put Bo Jackson then you can add Walter Payton, Jackie Robinson, Jim Brown or Willie Mays.
It’s not acting like a twat it’s sarcastic humour.

Bo gets in ahead of those guys and was always a guarantee for this list thanks to him winning ESPN’s sport science greatest athlete of all time contest.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Out of that list it’s Federer for me, he ticks all the boxes.

Talent, hard work, physical ability, dominance, longevity, consistency, making it look easy, legacy, records broken and set etc.
Plus bonus points for things like being a positive role model off the court too.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It’s not acting like a twat it’s sarcastic humour.

Bo gets in ahead of those guys and was always a guarantee for this list thanks to him winning ESPN’s sport science greatest athlete of all time contest.
There are a few things worth considering for such a list. As mentioned earlier, when making a list you have to distinguish whether you are asking about the greatest athlete or sportsman (which imo could be completely different things). Also worth considering that there are people outside the US and Europe how may be worth of being included.

MJJ

To be considered the best across all sports you first need to be the undisputed best in your own field so Jordan federer are out and second, the game must be played by a significant portion of the world. Gretzky out.

JPRouve

Scout
To be considered the best across all sports you first need to be the undisputed best in your own field so Jordan federer are out and second, the game must be played by a significant portion of the world. Gretzky out.
The problem with that is that swimming requires facilities that many poor countries don't have, F1 and Golf aren't popular games in most countries, same thing with the NFL and Baseball, and for Pelé we have Maradona. So Ali vs Bolt.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Ali. Not the best but for me undoubtedly the greatest. Greatest story, greatest legacy, most memorable moments, most inspirational.

JPRouve

Scout
How are you defining “sportsman”?
A man that plays a sport. Jim Brown and Payton were better running backs, Jackie Robinson and Willie Mays better baseball players. Now, to be honest the simple fact that I use these four men as a benchmark gives more weight to your point.:D

Deleted member 101472

There are a few things worth considering for such a list. As mentioned earlier, when making a list you have to distinguish whether you are asking about the greatest athlete or sportsman (which imo could be completely different things). Also worth considering that there are people outside the US and Europe how may be worth of being included.
I think global legacy has to be considered, and I don’t think there are too many more names that could be on that list.

Athlete and sportsman are different but together, it’s all encompassing.

MJJ

The problem with that is that swimming requires facilities that many poor countries don't have, F1 and Golf aren't popular games in most countries, same thing with the NFL and Baseball, and for Pelé we have Maradona. So Ali vs Bolt.
I will be happy with one of those as the winner.

Carolina Red

Staff
A man that plays a sport. Jim Brown and Payton were better running backs, Jackie Robinson and Willie Mays better baseball players. Now, to be honest the simple fact that I use these four men as a benchmark gives more weight to your point.:D
This is true.

Bo was an All-Star in baseball and All-Pro in football.

Moby

Dick
You can use enough different metrics to gauge an overall #1. Legacy, peak level, distance from rivals etc etc.
Those metrics cannot be compared between team and individual sports though. A footballer winning 5 CLs and a men's singles tennis player winning 5 grand slams cannot be compared under any metric. In which case the individual one obviously gets far more credit.

Deleted member 101472

Ice hockey is huge in Canada and Russia, aswell as USA and several countries across Europe have professional leagues. Considering it’s popularity in the two biggest countries on earth, it has to be included.

Deleted member 101472

Those metrics cannot be compared between team and individual sports though. A footballer winning 5 CLs and a men's singles tennis player winning 5 grand slams cannot be compared under any metric. In which case the individual one obviously gets far more credit.
You can compare it to some degree, and arrive at a conclusion which will be based around more than just whether it was an individual or a team sport.

JPRouve

Scout
In the end I don't know, I don't know enough about Boxing to judge Ali, I'm not sure if Bolt is a better athlete than Michael Johnson. He is still active but Teddy Riner will in my opinion be in the conversation and Judo is as global as it gets.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Since when is Ali the undisputed best boxer ever? I don't think he should be in the discussion, unless it factors heavily their social and 'fame' impact.

Carolina Red

Staff
For the record, since Jim Thorpe, the gold medalist in the Olympic decathlon has been called “the world’s greatest athlete”.

Deleted member 101472

Since when is Ali the undisputed best boxer ever? I don't think he should be in the discussion, unless it factors heavily their social and 'fame' impact.
And I think that should be a factor when you have this conversation.

Moby

Dick
You can compare it to some degree, and arrive at a conclusion which will be based around more than just whether it was an individual or a team sport.
In what way do I compare a guy who was surrounded with 10 other players who had a contribution to his success in varying degrees over the course of his career to someone who has achieved everything on his own?

MJJ

Ice hockey is huge in Canada and Russia, aswell as USA and several countries across Europe have professional leagues. Considering it’s popularity in the two biggest countries on earth, it has to be included.
Nah by that logic you include all the shitty games American play, it should be based on popularity over the world not population size of the country playing it.
Dont know enough about boxing to say he isnt thats why was okay with him. So that leaves bolt?

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
In that case, I won't have any problem mentioning Daniel Narcisse, Nikola Karabatic, Thierry Omeyer, Jackson Richardson, Ivano Balic or Mikkel Hansen. But seriously Karabatic is up there with the absolute best.
Balic is in the Maradona category. Very good at handball but not the athlete Guðjón Valur is. Hansen doesn't have the career behind him so you might as well name Neymar.

Narcisse and Omeyer, meh. We're talking greatest ever handballers and Omeyer is a goalkeeper. Narcisse > Richardson so not worth mentioning him.

Narcisse and Karabatic comparable to Guðjón Valur but he's got a record despite the worse team ;)

Carolina Red

Staff
No, it was a genuine question
Bo was 6’1” 230lbs and could run 100m in 10.5 seconds, ran the 40 yard dash at the NFL draft combine in 4.12 seconds, was an All-American and All-Pro running back, was an MLB All-Star, could hit for average and power, could cover all of right field, had an absolute cannon for an arm, and his performance in the weight room was phenomenal.

Deleted member 101472

Bo was 6’1” 230lbs and could run 100m in 10.5 seconds, ran the 40 yard dash at the NFL draft combine in 4.12 seconds, was an All-American and All-Pro running back, was an MLB All-Star, could hit for average and power, could cover all of right field, had an absolute cannon for an arm, and his performance in the weight room was phenomenal.
I thought he didn’t do weights?

Deleted member 101472

There’s two olympians in there that I think it’s difficult to justify picking one over the other.

Michael Phelps is the most successful Olympian of all time, and Usain Bolt was basically the face of track and field for a decade.

Carolina Red

Staff
There’s two olympians in there that I think it’s difficult to justify picking one over the other.

Michael Phelps is the most successful Olympian of all time, and Usain Bolt was basically the face of track and field for a decade.
And yet neither compete in the Olympic event in which the winner is actually called “the best athlete in the world”.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Muhammad Ali transcends sport to be honest. No one in that list can match Ali's immense legacy off the ring.

Carolina Red

Staff
Such an unnecessary response.
Umm... It’s true.

The winner of the Olympic Decathlon is a better athlete than someone who specializes in one event and is called “The World’s Greatest Athlete”.

Regarding Jim Thorpe...
he could run the 100-yard dash in 10 seconds flat; the 220 in 21.8 seconds; the 440 in 51.8 seconds; the 880 in 1:57, the mile in 4:35; the 120-yard high hurdles in 15 seconds; and the 220-yard low hurdles in 24 seconds.[7]He could long jump 23 ft 6 in and high-jump 6 ft 5 in.[7] He could pole vault 11 feet; put the shot47 ft 9 in; throw the javelin 163 feet; and throw the discus 136 feet
That’s in addition to playing football, baseball, and basketball professionally and before modern sports science.

Last edited:

Deleted member 101472

Muhammad Ali transcends sport to be honest. No one in that list can match Ali's immense legacy off the ring.
Yup but we have 10 people so far who couldn’t pick him or anyone else on that list.

Skills

Snitch
Usain Bolt is the fastest man in the world. Does that make him a better athlete than the best long-distance runner in the world? People have a very american-centric definition of athlete

And if we're considering legacy than it's Ali, it's not even debatable. He's the most famous athlete by far, his impact is on completely different level to anyone else. He's the guy the best modern athletes grew up idolizing
Are any of the distance running world records as impressive as Bolt's 9.58 or 9.19? Or career dominance as unique as Bolt's? Nobody had won the 100/200m back to back at the Olympics and he did it 3 times.

Genuinely curious.