g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Greatest Athlete/Sportsman of all time: Poll Added

• Thread starter Deleted member 101472
  • Start date

Who is the greatest athlete/sportsman of all time ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

starman

Meh... Sounds like Jack of all trades and master of none

Easton is pretty bad ass to be fair
Right, but this thread is about the greatest athlete, not greatest sprinter.

Maybe you should do some research on the Decathlon, the "world's greatest athlete" tag is embedded in the origins of the Decathlon

Deleted member 101472

Would never have expected it to be federer closest to Ali!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
It would be interesting to see if people s opinions were to change if you'd ask who had the most cultural impact. I.e. Imho LeBron beats MJ as the greatest ever player in basketball but Jordan s impact as an icon was far greater. Similarly I think Connors, McEnroe, Sampras etc meant more for the sport of tennis than Federer. Or Senna vs just about anyone else in F1, etc.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It would be interesting to see if people s opinions were to change if you'd ask who had the most cultural impact. I.e. Imho LeBron beats MJ as the greatest ever player in basketball but Jordan s impact as an icon was far greater. Similarly I think Connors, McEnroe, Sampras etc meant more for the sport of tennis than Federer. Or Senna vs just about anyone else in F1, etc.
Lebron is definitely in the pantheon of greats but I will wait for him to catch Jordan on rings, career points, career point average per game (reg season) and career average per game (playoffs), MVPs etc...bearing in mind of course that Jordan took a year off to play Baseball.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Very talented driver, dominated, but never truly got to see him pushed by an outstanding teammate. I find him hard to rank for that reason. There's a chance he's better than those I losted, but by the time he had a reasonably competitive teammate he was old and basically semi-retired.
Schumacher changed the way F1 drivers approached racing. He was a meticulous perfectionist with his fitness and laid the foundations from day dot.

As David Coulthard and Eddie Irvine said, it’s not a case of Schumacher in his prime not having a capable team mate, it’s that it wouldn’t have mattered who was in the other car, he’d have destroyed them.

People talk about Ferrari’s dominance of the sport but it was Michael Schumacher that put them there. His omission on your list is a complete mistake because there’s not a single driver bar Senna that even comes close. Even then he was far more complete than Senna ever was

Charlie Foley

Very talented driver, dominated, but never truly got to see him pushed by an outstanding teammate. I find him hard to rank for that reason. There's a chance he's better than those I losted, but by the time he had a reasonably competitive teammate he was old and basically semi-retired.
Why does this matter? (Genuine question).

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah true. I'm sure some might want a Cricketer or someone representing a more east centric sport in there as well.

(We can still add people, just let me know).
Well for cricket Sachin Tendulkar and Don Bradman should be there but then I don't know how many people other than the cricket playing nation's would have heard of them. If the criteria for being the greatest sportsman is being the most iconic then surely the discussion ends at Muhammed Ali. Otherwise it's difficult comparing the global exposure of Messi to someone like Tendulkar.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Why does this matter? (Genuine question).
Because his championship winning cars with Ferrari were far and away the best cars on the grid. So much so that his only competition came from his teammate.

Why not take all names suggested and do a series of polls. X in each, top Y go through to next round and so on

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have an other suggestion, it would be Bekele or Gebreselassie, that way you have one sprinter with Bolt and on long distance runner and they all marked Athletics.

Carolina Red

Staff
Lebron is definitely in the pantheon of greats but I will wait for him to catch Jordan on rings, career points, career point average per game (reg season) and career average per game (playoffs), MVPs etc...bearing in mind of course that Jordan took a year off to play Baseball.
And Jordan played defense.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How can it be anyone other than Ali? And he's only second to one boxer throughout all of history who didn't have the US government take away three of his prime years and then re-enter the ring as entirely different fighter to what he left it as.

Ali's legacy is transcendent in a way no other sports individual will ever be able to replicate due to the political climate of his era.

In terms of actual sports performance, how many other of the true elite have had to rebuild their winning style from scratch? And then, how many have gone from the extreme of speed and reflex of Clay to the heart and attrition of Ali?

You'd have to take Ali off the list to have a considered discussion about all the others, I think.

spwd

Maybe there should be two threads, althetes and sports people

The Bloody-Nine

Only ever tested positive with minor levels of products not necessarily considered to be performance enhancing. Wouldn't fail a test at today's tolerance levels.
He failed 3 drug tests for banned substances. Cheater.

Carl Lewis has broken his silence on allegations that he was the beneficiary of a drugs cover-up, admitting he had tested positive for banned substances but claiming he was just one of "hundreds" of American athletes who were allowed to escape bans.

"There were hundreds of people getting off," he said. "Everyone was treated the same."

Lewis has now acknowledged that he failed three tests during the 1988 US Olympic trials, which under international rules at the time should have prevented him from competing in the Seoul games two months later.

The admission is a further embarrassment for the United States Olympic Committee, which had initially denied claims that 114 positive tests between 1988 and 2000 were covered up. It will add weight to calls by leading anti-doping officials and top athletes for an independent inquiry into the US's record on drug issues.

Last week Dr Wade Exum alleged that a ban imposed on Lewis after positive tests for three stimulants had been overturned by the USOC when the athlete said he had ingested them mistakenly in a herbal supplement.

Lewis received only a warning after officials ruled that his positive tests were due to "inadvertent" use. Some scientists believe the substances could have been a masking agent for more serious drugs, such as anabolic steroids.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2003/apr/24/athletics.duncanmackay

Have to laugh at the USOC.

Player Red

Its hard to select Lewis over Bolt given the latter's complete dominance and lingering suspicions over Lewis' doping.
Similar suspicions also hang over Bolt as with all WR holders in the last 40 years. Lewis competed across the sprint distances and also won gold at the long jump during the same Olympics. In terms of sheer athletic performance he was immense.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
With Ali you have to factor in his legacy. Sugar ray Robinson was a better fighter, but Ali is by far the biggest name in the history of the sport.
This isn't about popularity and off field importance. You can't be the greatest sportsman ever without even being the best at your own sport.

Not as per me at least.

Deleted member 101472

So many people going for none of the above. Given the criteria in the OP, give me a name that’s better than Ali.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
So many people going for none of the above. Given the criteria in the OP, give me a name that’s better than Ali.
I mean, it's not my reason for picking him, but he was a bit of a cnut no?