The Greatest Club Footballers of all time

MalcolmTucker

How about the fact that he couldn't do shit without Xavi and Iniesta ? Zero Champions Leagues without them.
CR7 did it in 3 different leagues, and has 5 Champions League trophies to Messi's 3.
Has he done it in 3 leagues really? Ronaldo gets outscored by a 36 year old Quagliarela and Immobile without Kroos and Modric and hasn't looked close to winning the champions league with Juventus, being dumped out by Ajax and Lyon. Zlatan is scoring a goal every 52 minutes in that league and he's 39.

Meanwhile Messi has been the top scorer and assister in La Liga twice in a row and the top scorer in the CL since both Xavi and Iniesta left.

Bogdannn

Which CL did they take away from messi? 06, 09, 11 or 15? just curious
06. He was a bench warmer for most of that CL campaign. Ronaldinho was the main man and the one who guided them to the title.

who cares what Luis Ronaldo would have been without injuries or if he had peak Barcelona/Real Madrid behind him. Reality is. he didn't had anything such and had an underwhelming club career when compared to the greatest club players of all times.
Thread is about players with greatest club career, not about who had the best peak, that Luis Ronaldo's name is popping up. There are atleast 10-20 players who have better club career than him, being key part of great club sides.
I never implied R9 had a better club career, I just said that he could have easily replicated CR7 and Messi's stats had he had a supporting cast like they had.

Has he done it in 3 leagues really? Ronaldo gets outscored by a 36 year old Quagliarela and Immobile without Kroos and Modric and hasn't looked close to winning the champions league with Juventus, being dumped out by Ajax and Lyon. Zlatan is scoring a goal every 52 minutes in that league and he's 39.
Quagliarella might have scored more, but he also played more games.

Meanwhile Messi has been the top scorer and assister in La Liga twice in a row and the top scorer in the CL since both Xavi and Iniesta left.
Meanwhile, Messi has failed to win it.

432JuanMata

Luckily I’m a fan of Messi and Ronaldo(I enjoy life much better because of it) but I always found it weird that people use Messi playing in 1 league as a stick to beat him with.

Got a question to people that think that does it apply to managers? Then SAF has only done it in UK so how can he be called the best ? See how ridiculous it sounds ?

MalcolmTucker

Quagliarella might have scored more, but he also played more games.
Quagliarela had a better goal to game and goal to minute ratio while playing for Sampdoria, at the age of 36.

Meanwhile, Messi has failed to win it.
So it's been two seasons since both Xavi and Iniesta have left and in those two years Messi has been top goalscorer and top assister in the league twice, top goalscorer in the CL and won the Ballon d'or, all while being the wrong side of 30.

But he 'hasn't done shit' according to you? You realise how stupid that sounds?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Either you are a kid or you know little about football if you think that. CR7 and Messi simply had better seasons career wise cause they played for the 2 best teams in the league, with incredible teammates, against far inferior opposition, and in an era where rules protect attacking players. Put Ronaldo in the teams they've played for and he would have scored 100 goals a season.
Let's not preted Luiz Ronaldo played for some mid-level teams, Barca won La Liga with ease the season he left mostly with the same players.

On the other hand, you could easily argue that both Cristiano and Messi would have won the WC if they had similar team mates as Luiz Ronaldo in 2002.

Bogdannn

Let's not preted Luiz Ronaldo played for some mid-level teams, Barca won La Liga with ease the season he left mostly with the same players.

On the other hand, you could easily argue that both Cristiano and Messi would have won the WC if they had similar team mates as Luiz Ronaldo in 2002.
No, R9 did not play for some mid level teams, but the Barca from his era was nowhere near as good as the one Messi had. And he netted roughly 1 goal per game in the first and only season he was there, 47 goals in 49 matches. By comparison, the man who replaced him, Rivaldo (who was a world class player himself) barely scored half of that.
The only time R9 had a great team was at Real, but he was past his prime by then, and so were most of the Galacticos.

Cal?

CR7 fan
No, R9 did not play for some mid level teams, but the Barca from his era was nowhere near as good as the one Messi had. And he netted roughly 1 goal per game in the first and only season he was there, 47 goals in 49 matches. By comparison, the man who replaced him, Rivaldo (who was a world class player himself) barely scored half of that.
The only time R9 had a great team was at Real, but he was past his prime by then, and so were most of the Galacticos.
Cristiano & Messi both had better than 1 goal per game records for mainly years that we're discussing. Before you go on about the defending in La Liga, take a look at their records in the CL, especially Cristiano's.

432JuanMata

Cristiano & Messi both had better than 1 goal per game records for mainly years that we're discussing. Before you go on about the defending in La Liga, take a look at their records in the CL, especially Cristiano's.
Salah became Liverpool’s top CL goalscorer with 28 ours is RVN with 35. Ronaldo has 67 in the Ko stage alone but La liga is crap or something like that. Sure look at La liga record in Europe over the last 10 years, sure Seville have a better record against English sides than they do against them. This forum has a weird obsession with PL being miles ahead of any league.

Bogdannn

Cristiano & Messi both had better than 1 goal per game records for mainly years that we're discussing.
Yes, cause their teams were a million times better than the opposition.
I repeat, both CR7 and Messi have had a better club career than R9, but that doesn't mean they are/were better prime vs prime.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Yes, cause their teams were a million times better than the opposition.
I repeat, both CR7 and Messi have had a better club career than R9, but that doesn't mean they are/were better prime vs prime.
Both have been comfortably better than him specially if were focusing in club career only, until very recently the ballon d' or would only go to one of them in the last decade. Their consistency and level of dominance has been absurd someone like Di Stéfano has a better case of arguing he had a better club career but I never saw him play to be honest and what I remember from R9 as a Real Madrid player it doesn't come close to neither what Messi and Cristiano have done and achieved.

Bogdannn

Both have been comfortably better than him specially if were focusing in club career only, until very recently the ballon d' or would only go to one of them in the last decade. Their consistency and level of dominance has been absurd someone like Di Stéfano has a better case of arguing he had a better club career but I never saw him play to be honest and what I remember from R9 as a Real Madrid player it doesn't come close to neither what Messi and Cristiano have done and achieved.
Being better is all about peak form, not consistency and/or longevity. So the correct thing to say is: both have been greater than him at club level. And I never argued otherwise, my point all along is that he could have matched their stats had he been in their shoes.
And R9's prime was not at Real, he was half the player he used to be by then.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

RedCurry

People will say Giggs or Scholes for us. While they are my favourite United players of all time, I think the greatest United players have to be between Best, Cantona or Ronaldo. These guys have inspired entire generations of new fans to be in love with and admire Man Utd and football in general.

What?

He hasn't ever won UCL. I fact, in Europe he has only won the league once in 15 seasons for PSV, Barca, Inter, Madrid and Milan.
I know this is a really old quote.

But wow.

I knew he hadn’t won the CL, but would have assumed he had won more leagues.

Luckily I’m a fan of Messi and Ronaldo(I enjoy life much better because of it) but I always found it weird that people use Messi playing in 1 league as a stick to beat him with.

Got a question to people that think that does it apply to managers? Then SAF has only done it in UK so how can he be called the best ? See how ridiculous it sounds ?
I know you’ve put UK - but really not the best example given Scotland and England don’t play in the same league :lol: