The greatest United player during the Fergie Era - The Poll

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
....also, I agree with Spoons about not reaching his potential...Giggs best seasons where 92-93 and 93-94...he was 20 & 21 in those seasons...The fact that he's never surpassed the heights he reached at 21, when a wingers peak should be 25/26, sort of implies he never quite reached his potential. Simples, regardless of djemba djemba

MG

MrsG, your opinion seems to be based almost entirely on his longevity, which although obviously a big factor, isn't the be all and end all of a players greatness. Yes his longevity and relative consistence make him a great, just not the greatest, and certainly not greater than Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo & Robson. Is Scholes no2 on your list? He should be, since he's been in the team almost as long as Giggs and has been just as influential. How about Neville?

I've said my piece, I don't think Giggs has driven us to titles the way the others have...thats what makes great players great, not staying power. Yes he's won Leagues & European Cups, but he's never been the player most crucial to winning those...just a player who's greatly contributed. If you can't see what I mean then I think your being a bit blind sighted, regardless of djemba djemba
I'm not basing it entirely on longevity, I know it's not everything. I'm just using it as evidence. No player at United, especially under Fergie, can play at the highest level for 18 seasons without being great. He wouldn't have remained in the team and constantly been picked for the biggest games year in year out at one of the if he was anything short of brilliant.

You say he's been a bit inconsistent... remember Cantona was only here for 5 seasons. I'm not criticising him as such, just saying that maybe if he'd been here for as long as Giggsy he'd have had his inconsistent moments as well. Scholes and Neville both have.

I just feel Giggs is being underrated here. What else does he honestly need to do to have reached his potential? He's done everything and more, and he's always been a fantastic player, outlasting all those players you've mentioned to still be named as PFA Player of the Season at the age of 35.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
....also, I agree with Spoons about not reaching his potential...Giggs best seasons where 92-93 and 93-94...he was 20 & 21 in those seasons...The fact that he's never surpassed the heights he reached at 21, when a wingers peak should be 25/26, sort of implies he never quite reached his potential. Simples, regardless of djemba djemba
Giggs' best season was surely 99?

You talk about him not having driven the team to success like some of the others, but Giggs was instrumental in our Treble win. He missed a few games through injury, but he was consistantly brilliant in the league when he did play. And in the CL, he was just as influential as anyone that season - his equaliser against Juve in the semi-final at OT was, if I remember correctly, a last minute individual effort, and he also set up Sheringham's goal in the final. And of course there's the matter of that winner he scored against Arsenal in the FA Cup semi final replay.

'Not driven us to titles the way the others have'..nah, sorry, I'm having none of that!

MG

You talk about him not having driven the team to success like some of the others, but Giggs was instrumental in our Treble win. He missed a few games through injury, but he was consistantly brilliant in the league when he did play. And in the CL, he was just as influential as anyone that season - his equaliser against Juve in the semi-final at OT was, if I remember correctly, a last minute individual effort, and he also set up Sheringham's goal in the final. And of course there's the matter of that winner he scored against Arsenal in the FA Cup semi final replay.

'Not driven us to titles the way the others have'..nah, sorry, I'm having none of that!
Absolutely. I just can't understand how anyone can say Giggs hasn't driven us to titles... his whole career has solely been about helping Manchester United win titles - hence why he has so many!

I think his best season was '99 as well - when he was 25/26.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
For me Giggs has been consistently good for an amazing amount of years but I cant ever think of a season when I thought he was our best player - his peak never seemed to hit the heights of cantona, ronaldo, keane ...

His dribbling skills were amazing but his biggest weakness has always been his final ball/shot - when he broke through as a teenager, everyone assumed this would improve over time but his crossing was never up to the standard of Beckham or even Sharpe at his best.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
for all the commendable loyalty, amazing skills and intelligent play, the one fact is that Giggs very infrequently took a game by the scruff of its neck, unlike Keane..the best example of that fact.

I have heard it said by more than one pundit or opposing player...'United just seemed half the side without Keane'

of course there are magical moments like the FA cup semi-final goal...

Mockney

You say he's been a bit inconsistent... remember Cantona was only here for 5 seasons. I'm not criticising him as such, just saying that maybe if he'd been here for as long as Giggsy he'd have had his inconsistent moments as well. Scholes and Neville both have.
Yes but Cantona was better than Giggs in those 5 seasons. He was the pivotal point of the team and the one that made things happen the most. He was the player the team was built around for 5 whole seasons. In all of Giggs 18 seasons, he's never been that

I just feel Giggs is being underrated here. What else does he honestly need to do to have reached his potential? He's done everything and more, and he's always been a fantastic player, outlasting all those players you've mentioned to still be named as PFA Player of the Season at the age of 35.
Yes but that was a lifetime achievement award really wasn't it...he wasn't the best player this season

I think his best season was '99 as well - when he was 25/26.
Sorry, but your both clearly mad

He was instrumental yes. But Yorke, Cole, Keane, Beckham & Scholes were all more important to that team than Giggs was that season. Keane & Beckham were up for WPOTY with Becks coming second. I'm not arguing he's shit, I'm arguing there have always been better players in our team...or players who have been more important than him, and there have. Giggs potential was to become the Worlds Best player, as Ronaldo has become. Giggs never became that, thus he failed to live up to his full potential in my view.

You've just picked out things he did that season, not given me a reason why he's The Greatest...He scored his best Goal that season yes...but eric scored his best goal in 96/97, his worst season, moot point.

I'm not saying he's rubbish...Me & Spoons arguments are being stretched to critisize him so we can adequately explain why we don't think he's the greatest...to us he's not. Thats all, regardless of djemba djemba

rednev

He was instrumental yes. But Yorke, Cole, Keane, Beckham & Scholes were all more important to that team than Giggs was that season. Keane & Beckham were up for WPOTY with Becks coming second. I'm not arguing he's shit, I'm arguing there have always been better players in our team...or players who have been more important than him, and there have. Giggs potential was to become the Worlds Best player, as Ronaldo has become. Giggs never became that, thus he failed to live up to his full potential in my view.
:lol: Now this is ridiculous. Yorke, Cole and Scholes played big parts that season, but on what basis are you putting them ahead of Giggs in terms of importance? You seem to be doing it just for argument's sake. And as for Beckham, Giggs was always the better player. Even in 99.

Giggs did not live up to his full potential, but what of it? Very few players do. He was being touted as the next George Best, of course it was going to be difficult to live up to that.

Mockney

:lol: Now this is ridiculous. Yorke, Cole and Scholes played big parts that season, but on what basis are you putting them ahead of Giggs in terms of importance?
On the basis that they were more important to our success in 1999 than Giggs was overall....They were, honest

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Keane was the most influential.
Scholes was the quiet magician.
Stam was immense.
Ronaldo finally broke the La Liga/Serie A deadlock on awards.
Rio has been tremendous.
Giggs, Beckham, Ruud, Ole, Robson, Hughes, the list goes on.

But Schmeichel was probably the overall best of the lot.

Mockney

On the basis that they were more important to our success in 1999 than Giggs was overall....They were, honest
I'll divulge further shall I...

1998/99 Goals & Appearances: Ryan Giggs - I've bolded important ones

League: 24 Appearances: 3 Goals. - against Wimbledon, Notts Forest & Coventy. 2 of those matches were cake walks

Domestic Cups: 7 Appearances: 2 Goals - against Middlsbrough & of course Arsenal

European Cup: 9 Appearances: 5 Goals - against Lodz in the qualifiers, Barcelona 2X Brondby, and Juventus

So a staggering sum of 3 important goals in our greatest ever season. Surely the hallmark of a true great playing his best football

Sorry to sound patronizing, but 99 was not Giggs year, your basing it almost entirely on 'Les Wonder Goal' which is ridiculous...it's like basing your appraisal of a player on youtube videos, and to claim Giggs was better than Beckham in 99, regardless of how well they played respectivley is a completely nonsensical statement!! Becks was much better in 99....as was Cole, Yorke, Scholes & Keane

Now, cos I'm bored and not tired and it's late...I'll do the others

Andy Cole - only using important goals to save space (i.e, winners, equalizers, crucial ones)

League: 32 Appearances: 17 Goals - Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle, Leeds, Spurs - only 1 of them was assisted by Giggs

Domestic Cups: 7 Appearances: 2 Goals - Fulham

European Cup: 10 Appearances: 5 Goals - Barcelona, Juventus

So 8 important goals for Cole...but he's a striker so thats expected. Though thats not counting his assists in important games like Liverpool FA Cup or Juventus...

Giggs has 1 assit on that list, and I'm not actually too sure about it

Dwight Yorke

League: 32 Appearances: 18 Goals - Blackburn, Southampton, Middlesbrough

Domestic Cups: 8 Appearances: 3 Goals - Liverpool, 2X Chelsea,

European Cup: 11 Appearances: 8 Goals - Bayern, Barcelona, Inter, Juventus

so 11 important goals for Yorke. Non off the top of my head, created by Giggs...most by Beckham or Cole.

Paul Scholes

League: 31 Appearances: 6 Goals - Aston Villa, 2X Blackburn

Domestic Cups: 6 Appearances: 1 Goal - Newcastle (Final)

European Cup: 12 Appearances: 4 Goals - Barcelona, Bayern, Inter

So 7 for Scholsey, again unsure how many were created by Giggs...certainly non of the really important ones...Beckham & Cole come out again there

However, Giggs assists for that season are 9..Beckham & Yorke had 23 a piece..

Giggs was actually much better in 97/98 than he was in 98/99...If you'd said that was his best season...I'd have had to have given you some credence

...again, sorry to look like I'm patronizing or being a dick..But 99 was not his best season by a long shot, regardless of djemba djemba

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Yes, but Giggs has always been far too inconsistent to be regarded as a great player(by great, I mean in the true sense of the word). If we were talking about great United careers - he'd probably top the list. But we're not. If anything, I'm left a bit disappointed by Giggs, the player. He should've been every bit as good as Ronaldo - a player the team should've revolved around.

Giggs has - had maybe - incredible skills, but in recent years hasn't been consistently world class at all.

I love him to bits, but we tried counting the number of times he gave the ball away in some games last season (and the previous season), and it was much higher than it should have been.

He had some good games too, but this does appear to be quite a big flaw in his game these days.

rednev

Giggs has - had maybe - incredible skills, but in recent years hasn't been consistently world class at all.

I love him to bits, but we tried counting the number of times he gave the ball away in some games last season (and the previous season), and it was much higher than it should have been.

He had some good games too, but this does appear to be quite a big flaw in his game these days.
I'm not doubting that he's nowhere near the player he once was. I think this is the problem - when people think of Giggs as a footballer, they think of Giggs as the player he is now, not the young Giggs tearing defences apart down that left wing. Shame really, maybe if he retired in 2004 he would be held in higher regard as a player.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
for me its Schmeichel

He developed to become the undisputed best goalkeeper in the world, perhaps of all time, had a huge will to win, scored goals!, and overall you always felt safe with him in nets. People talk about Giggs wonder goal, but it would have been game over if Schmikes hadn't saved the peno first in the last minute of the match

Cantona, Keane, etc, all had huge impacts on the team but none of them can say that they were the best player in the world..till Ronaldo. And he's a git.

Spoony

The People's President
Yes, I can't disagree with that. Back then I head a bet with a mate that he''d go on to become as good, if not better than Bestie. He's been fantastic for United, but never quite reached those heights again.

Ixion

Giggs back in the day, those first few Premiership seasons was as exciting a player to watch as any I've seen. I would be on the edge of my seat watching Giggsy run with the ball back then more than even watching Ronaldo the past few seasons, he was poetry in motion.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
In terms of influence Cantona gets my vote.

Best player has to be Ronaldo.

Ole'sbodyguard

I'll divulge further shall I...

1998/99 Goals & Appearances: Ryan Giggs - I've bolded important ones

League: 24 Appearances: 3 Goals. - against Wimbledon, Notts Forest & Coventy. 2 of those matches were cake walks

Domestic Cups: 7 Appearances: 2 Goals - against Middlsbrough & of course Arsenal

European Cup: 9 Appearances: 5 Goals - against Lodz in the qualifiers, Barcelona 2X Brondby, and Juventus

So a staggering sum of 3 important goals in our greatest ever season. Surely the hallmark of a true great playing his best football

Sorry to sound patronizing, but 99 was not Giggs year, your basing it almost entirely on 'Les Wonder Goal' which is ridiculous...it's like basing your appraisal of a player on youtube videos, and to claim Giggs was better than Beckham in 99, regardless of how well they played respectivley is a completely nonsensical statement!! Becks was much better in 99....as was Cole, Yorke, Scholes & Keane

Now, cos I'm bored and not tired and it's late...I'll do the others

Andy Cole - only using important goals to save space (i.e, winners, equalizers, crucial ones)

League: 32 Appearances: 17 Goals - Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle, Leeds, Spurs - only 1 of them was assisted by Giggs

Domestic Cups: 7 Appearances: 2 Goals - Fulham

European Cup: 10 Appearances: 5 Goals - Barcelona, Juventus

So 8 important goals for Cole...but he's a striker so thats expected. Though thats not counting his assists in important games like Liverpool FA Cup or Juventus...

Giggs has 1 assit on that list, and I'm not actually too sure about it

Dwight Yorke

League: 32 Appearances: 18 Goals - Blackburn, Southampton, Middlesbrough

Domestic Cups: 8 Appearances: 3 Goals - Liverpool, 2X Chelsea,

European Cup: 11 Appearances: 8 Goals - Bayern, Barcelona, Inter, Juventus

so 11 important goals for Yorke. Non off the top of my head, created by Giggs...most by Beckham or Cole.

Paul Scholes

League: 31 Appearances: 6 Goals - Aston Villa, 2X Blackburn

Domestic Cups: 6 Appearances: 1 Goal - Newcastle (Final)

European Cup: 12 Appearances: 4 Goals - Barcelona, Bayern, Inter

So 7 for Scholsey, again unsure how many were created by Giggs...certainly non of the really important ones...Beckham & Cole come out again there

However, Giggs assists for that season are 9..Beckham & Yorke had 23 a piece..

Giggs was actually much better in 97/98 than he was in 98/99...If you'd said that was his best season...I'd have had to have given you some credence

...again, sorry to look like I'm patronizing or being a dick..But 99 was not his best season by a long shot, regardless of djemba djemba
I think pushing Scholes as being a big part of 99 in the same leagues as Becks, Yorke, Cole, Keane, Stam is pushing it abit. He had a good season but it was still during the days when Nicky Butt was selected as often as he was in big games. Butt started the Inter away match, Juve away, Arsenal in the cup, and of course the CL final. Scholes became more infleuntial in the following few seasons hitting his peak in 02/03 when he was magnificent.

Your right on Giggs that season though. It was not one of his best by any stretch of the imagination and he had a few injuries hence Blomqvist starting plenty of games. Anyone putting him ahead of Becks that season has forgotten the ins and outs of 99 IMO. Beckham was immense that season and the number of goals he made should not be under-estimated. To put it simply, 99 was the standout season for Keane, Stam, Yorke, Cole and Becks in their United careers. Giggs had plenty of better or similar seasons during his career.

Mockney

I think pushing Scholes as being a big part of 99 in the same leagues as Becks, Yorke, Cole, Keane, Stam is pushing it abit. He had a good season but it was still during the days when Nicky Butt was selected as often as he was in big games. Butt started the Inter away match, Juve away, Arsenal in the cup, and of course the CL final. Scholes became more infleuntial in the following few seasons hitting his peak in 02/03 when he was magnificent.

Your right on Giggs that season though. It was not one of his best by any stretch of the imagination and he had a few injuries hence Blomqvist starting plenty of games. Anyone putting him ahead of Becks that season has forgotten the ins and outs of 99 IMO. Beckham was immense that season and the number of goals he made should not be under-estimated. To put it simply, 99 was the standout season for Keane, Stam, Yorke, Cole and Becks in their United careers. Giggs had plenty of better or similar seasons during his career.
Yeah, fair

rednev

My prediction for the results..

Cantona will be top. Second will be Keane. And Rooney will be a shock inclusion, probably in 9th or 10th place.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
My prediction for the results..

Cantona will be top. Second will be Keane. And Rooney will be a shock inclusion, probably in 9th or 10th place.
Wont be that much of a shock as voting on stuff like this often tends to favour the more recent players

However, Rooney did not make my Top10.

rednev

9th or 10th is probably fair.
Not yet. I have no doubt that he will eventually make the top 5 of the last 30 years or so, but he's still only, what, 23? Unlike Ronaldo, who made my list, he has yet to achieve something individually.

dinners85

I've only skimmed through this thread so apologies if somebody has said it but.......

Denis Irwin - must get a mention. He was so solid both defensively and as an attcking player.

legend !

Top of the pile though for me (knocking 40) is Robson.

Too many 'kids' won't know how good he was because he was past his prime come the glory years - he would have done all Keane did.

rednev

Eric Cantona... no question about that
I was torn between Cantona and Ronaldo. Cantona was easily the one with the biggest impact, but Ronaldo was the one with the most talent.

Alex

In terms of influence Cantona gets my vote.

Best player has to be Ronaldo.
Completely agree on both counts Sultan. Eric raised United back to their previous heights in the league although they came up short in Europe, he reestablished them as the dominant force in England, which despite challenges from Arsenal and Chelsea, is still undisputed over the past two decades or so. Ronaldo has to be considered the best, love him or hate him, he was just so fecking good at United, SAF's only Ballon D'Or and World Player of the Year winner as well says it as well. Why so polemic, because he was that fecking good.