The Guardian

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Those twits from the Guardian are having a go at my beloved True Detective(!) Grrr etc...
Twits from the Guardian said:
Let's start with the title of the show, then: 'True Detective'. This programme is saying that these people are real, honest-to-God po-lice. In 1995 in the US, approximately 9% of police officers were female. By 2012, when the latter portion of the show is set, 15% of police officers were female. A quick count-up on IMDB tells me that there are 27 police-officer characters in True Detective. Even at the lowest percentage, at least two should have been female.

Not a single police officer depicted in the show is female.

There's a female receptionist, who brings Marty his coffee, but she's not an officer of the law. I can see that, for the show to work, Hart and Cohle had to be male. I appreciate that female police officers are in the minority. But what the show is implicitly – if unintentionally – saying, is that true detectives are men.

SteveJ

Scout
I'd watch a show like that...which says everything about me.

SteveJ

Scout
Yeezus H. Christ...

Guardian said:
Christian scripture teaches that on the seventh day, God looked over the world, nodded to himself in satisfaction and settled down for a hard-earned rest. But seven days after unveiling his own imperfect creation, self-proclaimed god Kanye West has had no time for slumber.
Zeus chained Prometheus to a rock to have his liver pecked out. Kali trampled Shiva while wearing a skirt of human arms and severed heads. Now here comes Kanye West, whose rollout of Ye was punctured by his courting of America’s grim forces and offensive commentary on the history of slavery.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

I suppose my Kanye post fits in here.

Ghosts according to The Guardian

One week on from the underwhelming, muddled solo album Ye, West is newly galvanised by Cudi’s stoner wisdom - 4/5 stars

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/09/kanye-west-kid-cudi-kids-see-ghosts-review

Ye according to The Guardian

The world’s most talked-about rapper is bracingly honest about his mental health struggles – though his attitude towards women still needs work - 4/5 stars

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/01/kanye-west-ye-review-good-music

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

(Edit): article here - https://www.theguardian.com/comment...cists-basket-makers-unite-women-only-festival

I didn't read past the first sentence: "Vaginal steaming is a mixed bag, as health pursuits go."
I managed to get past the fanny fuming intro to find a link to a New Yorker article on new “ghetto” laws being introduced in Denmark.

COPENHAGEN — When Rokhaia Naassan gives birth in the coming days, she and her baby boy will enter a new category in the eyes of Danish law. Because she lives in a low-income immigrant neighborhood described by the government as a “ghetto,” Rokhaia will be what the Danish newspapers call a “ghetto parent” and he will be a “ghetto child.”

Starting at the age of 1, “ghetto children” must be separated from their families for at least 25 hours a week, not including nap time, for mandatory instruction in “Danish values,” including the traditions of Christmas and Easter, and Danish language. Noncompliance could result in a stoppage of welfare payments. Other Danish citizens are free to choose whether to enroll children in preschool up to the age of six.

Denmark’s government is introducing a new set of laws to regulate life in 25 low-income and heavily Muslim enclaves, saying that if families there do not willingly merge into the country’s mainstream, they should be compelled.
Holy shit!

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I managed to get past the fanny fuming intro to find a link to a New Yorker article on new “ghetto” laws being introduced in Denmark.

Holy shit!
Bloody hell.

Another would impose a four-year prison sentence on immigrant parents who force their children to make extended visits to their country of origin — described here as “re-education trips” —in that way damaging their “schooling, language and well-being.” Another would allow local authorities to increase their monitoring and surveillance of “ghetto” families.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Is that article making it sound overly sinister? It's not a bad thing to teach Danish culture, but that makes it sound like indoctrination and brainwashing. Taking kids out of school for long periods is generally frowned upon in the West anyway, isn't it? I'm not sure what the existing legalities are on that.

Pogue Mahone

Is that article making it sound overly sinister? It's not a bad thing to teach Danish culture, but that makes it sound like indoctrination and brainwashing. Taking kids out of school for long periods is generally frowned upon in the West anyway, isn't it? I'm not sure what the existing legalities are on that.
It’s the taking of 1+ year old kids away from their families for 25 hours a week (minimum) that sounds sinister to me. Assuming they’re left alone at weekends that’s 5 hours a day. I know a lot of families choose to send their kids to childcare for a similar amount of time but forcing them to do it is a bit Orwellian.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It’s the taking of 1+ year old kids away from their families for 25 hours a week (minimum) that sounds sinister to me. Assuming they’re left alone at weekends that’s 5 hours a day. I know a lot of families choose to send their kids to childcare for a similar amount of time but forcing them to do it is a bit Orwellian.
1 is a bit early. What the feck does a 1 year old learn?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It just sounds like trying to discourage more immigration rather than wanting to feck with families. Surely it makes more sense to make it a mother/child requirement and teach the women too. Since women are often isolated too through their culture/religion.

Pogue Mahone

It just sounds like trying to discourage more immigration rather than wanting to feck with families. Surely it makes more sense to make it a mother/child requirement and teach the women too. Since women are often isolated too through their culture/religion.
Yeah, that would actually be a much more sensible initiative.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
In the NYT article, it's the provision for increased sentences for people from ghettos that really caught my eye.
I'm guessing the Danish values they're taught will include "equality before the law" and then there's this sentencing law...

Hansa

Bloody hell.
About the re-education trips: There was an exposé (in Norway) a few months ago about teenagers being sent against their will to Somalia where religious and/or moral teachings were more or less beaten into them, leaving them pretty scarred. This is surely an attempt to get to grips with this phenomenon.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
To walk?

Must be trying to stop them walking in a ghetto way.
The Bronx slide? ;)

1 year old seems very young alright. Must be some concern that kids aren't learning the Danish language early enough so they’re not adequately prepared for school life.
Doubt this would hold up in court.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
About the re-education trips: There was an exposé (in Norway) a few months ago about teenagers being sent against their will to Somalia where religious and/or moral teachings were more or less beaten into them, leaving them pretty scarred. This is surely an attempt to get to grips with this phenomenon.
I can understand that and there is also the possibility of forced marriages etc...Maybe the article is somewhat loaded, but the gist of the integration drive seems pretty inflexible and prescriptive.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
If Pakistan introduced a law where young children in ghettos predominately christian are taken to be taught 'Pakistani' values such as eid, prayers and Islam and you can imagine what uproar it would have in the world.

While I do realise there is a problem regarding immigrants in poor neighbourhoods assimilating to a new country, this is hardly the best way to solve it.

A question is, who needs assimilation, the immigrants or the other people of the country who should learn to assimilate to new people coming to their country?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
If Pakistan introduced a law where young children in ghettos predominately christian are taken to be taught 'Pakistani' values such as eid, prayers and Islam and you can imagine what uproar it would have in the world.

While I do realise there is a problem regarding immigrants in poor neighbourhoods assimilating to a new country, this is hardly the best way to solve it.

A question is, who needs assimilation, the immigrants or the other people of the country who should learn to assimilate to new people coming to their country?

Christians aren't emigrating to Pakistan.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Christians aren't emigrating to Pakistan.
They aren't targetting immigrants, it's poor ghettos. It just so happens that those ghettos are habitated by people from immigrant backgrounds (when they immigrated is not mentioned, it could be they were there for a long time rather than recently). So, still, the point remains if a Muslim country did something similar, the reaction would be very different.

A lot of Western families go to Arab countries, especially the UAE, because of the money there and when we see news coming of the Arab policy arresting a couple for kissing in public, there is an outrage (rightfully). Do you think they should send their kids to assimilation schools to teach them about their values and how to celebrate Eid?

The issue for me is, while I completely understand teaching kids equality, community etc, I fail to understand how Christmas and Easter come into this. No matter who they are, they should be free to not celebrate it if they don't want to. Also, why can't these same values be taught at school, do you have to forceably take kids into school at a young age?

EDIT: I understand the law is only for childern of non-Danish citizens.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Sounds great to me. We have to pay through the nose for childcare.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
They aren't targetting immigrants, it's poor ghettos. It just so happens that those ghettos are habitated by people from immigrant backgrounds (when they immigrated is not mentioned, it could be they were there for a long time rather than recently). So, still, the point remains if a Muslim country did something similar, the reaction would be very different.

A lot of Western families go to Arab countries, especially the UAE, because of the money there and when we see news coming of the Arab policy arresting a couple for kissing in public, there is an outrage (rightfully). Do you think they should send their kids to assimilation schools to teach them about their values and how to celebrate Eid?

The issue for me is, while I completely understand teaching kids equality, community etc, I fail to understand how Christmas and Easter come into this. No matter who they are, they should be free to not celebrate it if they don't want to. Also, why can't these same values be taught at school, do you have to forceably take kids into school at a young age?

EDIT: I understand the law is only for childern of non-Danish citizens.
I think when you go to another country you make an effort to become aware of the culture and do your best to immerse yourself into it. You also obey the laws.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I think when you go to another country you make an effort to become aware of the culture and do your best to immerse yourself into it. You also obey the laws.
I'm not disregarding that. I'm just wondering why you have to forceably send kids as young as 1 away from their parents for this. Can't they teach this in normal school? The forcing of kids to go to these classes is what is irritating me, along with teaching them religious holidays.

SteveJ

Scout
Small hand-size must be contagious...