The Guardian

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Recently, 'papers like that feature lots of self-centred columnists asking the likes of: 'Are my children hindering my Prosecco-quaffing career?'

Horrible, selfish twats.

SteveJ

Scout
Guardian said:
'London can feel impersonal': why two men are replicating it in gingerbread

SteveJ

Scout
FFS
Guardian said:
What the make-do-and-mend Dalek was trying to tell us
The makeshift makeover of the Doctor Who baddie in the New Year’s Day special was the perfect enemy for Brexit Britain

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

SteveJ

Scout
Guardian said:
Art: Reincarnated by robotics, the unsettling face of Elizabeth I grimacing at the Armada Portrait is haunted by ageing, empire and a no-deal Brexit

SteveJ

Scout
St-roll on...
Guardian said:
What Greggs’ vegan sausage roll says about Brexit Britain

Is the launch of a vegan version the latest salvo – or a chance for a divided country to heal itself?

SteveJ

Scout
They shoe-horn Brexit into everything. :(

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They shoe-horn Brexit into everything. :(
There you go again Steve, "shoe-horning" Brexit into every conversation. Shoes - clearly a reference to clogs - and horns - clearly a reference to what I get whenever Kate Beckinsale is on the screen. To me that says you clearly fancy Europe or something.

SteveJ

Scout
:lol: I've never recovered from seeing her in Haunted, mate.

SteveJ

Scout
Guardian said:
A few years ago I was celebrating landing a new job. After a long string of terrible events, this was to be a glorious new chapter in my life. I rang my girlfriend and told her I had a surprise for her when she got home. I started to cook a celebratory curry.

At some point I forgot that I had just been chopping chillies and went to the toilet without washing my hands first. This involved the transfer of chilli to what a medical professional would later describe as the remains of my genitals. Drunk on success and alcohol, I’d made a poor decision, and now my penis and balls were on fire.

The next bad decision came moments later, when I remembered that yoghurt helps cool down your mouth when you’ve been eating hot food. I was urgently easing the affected area into a family-sized tub of natural yoghurt when my girlfriend and several of her colleagues walked in.
The aliens are coming. And they’ve caught us with our pants down
Radio signals could be signs of extraterrestrial life. But, with Brexit and Trump, could they have chosen a worse time to call?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/11/aliens-radio-signals-space-brexit-trump

SteveJ

Scout
Guardian Art said:
Perhaps that’s why the art of Leonardo leaves you so enraptured. I felt as if I could see my own skeleton and those of Cardiff passersby as I popped into Greggs for a vegan sausage roll. Come to think of it, Leonardo would have approved. He was a vegetarian.

Sweet Square

:lol: Oh god.

They describe doing mundane everyday activities in the same way a student talks about their gap year off annoying helping some poor Africans. Such pride that they've stood in line with the unwashed masses.

Last edited:

SteveJ

Scout
Guardian said:
Moshenska believes that discussion of Milton’s Florentine sojourn is particularly timely as Brexit looms. It transpires that Milton, the most English of poets, was a polyglot Europhile whose most famous work is at least partially tinged by Tuscan ochre.

SteveJ

Scout
Ooh, how quaint!:
Guardian said:
Poetry pharmacy set to open in Shropshire
The Emergency Poet, Deborah Alma, plans to dispense literary first aid from a shop in Bishop’s Castle
Guardian said:
Dressed in a white coat and stethoscope, Alma says she was invited to appear as the Emergency Poet at “schools, hospitals and festivals all over the place."

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Guardian said:
Leonardo spoke out against Brexit through his paintings; The Last Supper warning of the post Brexit need to stockpile food. The painting's crumbling facade designed as a commentary on May's deal.

Joyce anticipated Brexit with his song Finnegans Wake, a pre-emptive metaphor for the confusion surrounding the Irish backstop.

Today it is almost impossible to see Gilgamesh as anything other than a pointed criticism of Brexit arrogance. Gilgamesh the brave Remainer faces off against the beast of Brexidu and then at the end I think a dragon kills him? which is also like Brexit.

At the time of his death Milton was rumored to be working on an anti-Brexit poem detailing Of Man's Second Disobedience.

Flemish Renaissance artists of the 15th and 16th century were preoccupied with fears over Brexit, as can be seen in Bruegel famous post-Brexit landscapes and Bosch's famous portraits of post-Brexit Brexiters.

Gary Glitter gives voice to Remainers everywhere with his hit song "Do You Wanna Be in My Union?" Brexiters everywhere because they are worse than paedophiles.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I've tried to find words to respond to the last 2 posts and have totally failed.

edit - @dumbo got me

SteveJ

Scout
Guardian said:
Celebrity flatmates reveal all

'She - my flatmate Katherine - was smarter than I was. At Hooters, I was targeted by an inflatophiliac (someone who gets sexual gratification from body parts being inflated like a balloon). He pretended he was off the radio and that I could win $300 if I stuffed clear bin bags in my pantyhose and inflated them with a bicycle pump. I looked ridiculous, like a big marshmallow. The man’s requests carried on for a month and Katherine was the only one with the sense to say, “Something is wrong here.”'

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Next week: The suburban bluffer's guide to being working class
Support Corbyn without wealth guilt!

Including such handy tips as:
- When you should and shouldn't mention you own wooden bowls
- Choosing the right flat cap
- How to switch your 4pm glass of Cava for a trip down the 'Legion
- Where to find the best trucker's 'caf with Vegan options