The handball rule

Listar

Hodgson said they don’t want to profit from it but didn’t crystal palace got the same from us? I didn’t see him jumping up and down on it or ask Zaha to kick it wide? They happily scored from it so screw them!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s not the offside rules. It’s VAR. Once you start to try to remove human fallibility from officiating you end up twisting the rules until we get to where we are now. Every weekend absolutely full of infuriating decisions and fans and players feeling hard done by. So basically where we were pre-VAR. With added delays and confusion. The whole thing is a pointless disaster.
They should limit the amount of time they have to look at the incident and they should have two VAR officials working entirely independent of each other.

If it can’t be checked within a short period of time, say 20 seconds, then it’s not clear and obvious and they’re timed out of making a decision.

If the decision is unanimous either way (2x no or 2x yes) the VAR decision stands, if it’s a split decision the referee has to go to his monitor and review the decision himself and make the final call. Again, given a limited time to do so.

At the end of the entire process and this is the most important bit for me, the referee explains the decision to both captains and his mouth piece is turned on so the public can hear.

At the end of the match, a full VAR report is made public with an explanation on all decisions.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I don’t know why everyone is banging on about VAR in terms of the handball rule. It’s all about the interpretation of unnatural position which they’re getting completely wrong. I don’t understand how Lindelof, Doherty or Ward had their hands in an unnatural position - Lindelof was running back, Doherty was jockeying and Ward...well Ward had his by his side anyway so wtf that was given is just insane. They were all in the position they were in for different reasons none of which were to do with making their body bigger. Context actually matters. How the rule is being interpreted is just farcical.

Member 101269

It’s not the offside rules. It’s VAR. Once you start to try to remove human fallibility from officiating you end up twisting the rules until we get to where we are now. Every weekend absolutely full of infuriating decisions and fans and players feeling hard done by. So basically where we were pre-VAR. With added delays and confusion. The whole thing is a pointless disaster.

I can't wait for the day we have 10 penalties in a game :houllier::houllier:

Member 101269

Havertz's handball -> Clearance -> Mount shot -> Abraham shot. Ball was still in the penalty area, no passes occur, no dribble occur, there is only 4 seconds in between handball and the goal. I don't know how you called that as ''ball travels some distance''. What do you say about that?

I remember the game when we scored a goal when the ball was out off the pitch. Mainly because there several passes before the goal and it was actually more than 10 passes and the incident happened more than 10 seconds before the goal. That's what I call ''ball travels some distance''.

The rule is written in such subjective language that it frames refs assessment and decisions poorly

Bobski

Football pre VAR had grey areas in the laws that most instinctively understood. Things like certain situations being fouls outside the box but enough to be a penalty, or offside not needing to be down to mm. Handball in the box should be for deliberate actions, not incidental contact from balls fired from close range. If the ball comes from distance and you keep the hand out, fair enough.

Absurd amount of penalties now being awarded.

Bestietom

Think it should be changed back to deliberate hand ball. It's crazy right now. A good dribbler can run into box with the ball and hit it at someone's arm and get a penalty. Ridiculous.

BIGbadBOO4

Hodgson should really say exactly what he said last week when Palace got a joke of a pen last week. Which is nothing. He needs to remember 1. It was not a pen 2. Was allowed to retake it when De Gea was fractionally of his line 3. Allowed to change who took the pen.
He had an opportunity to say it was not a pen, he didn't so cannot complain when the stupid handball goes against him.

I am also worried by the trend of players moving across in front of defenders to engage contact in order to with a penalty. Brighton were at it yesterday.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
It's inconsistent with the offside rule though as they will take it back much further than the immediate build-up to a goal.

Untd55

Handballs should only be watched at full speed. None of this slow down crap to make it look intentional; everything can look intentional in slow motion.

I wouldn't be against removing handballs from VAR rulings completely; not like that is going to happen. Football is becoming far too finicky, and seems to be forgetting the main reason it actually exists as a major sport: to entertain.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So basically

Lindelof, Doherty & Ward having the ball drilled at their arm from close range = handball

Havertz using his arm to keep the ball in play from a floated free kick from miles away = no handball

:houllier:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Hodgson should really say exactly what he said last week when Palace got a joke of a pen last week. Which is nothing. He needs to remember 1. It was not a pen 2. Was allowed to retake it when De Gea was fractionally of his line 3. Allowed to change who took the pen.
He had an opportunity to say it was not a pen, he didn't so cannot complain when the stupid handball goes against him.

I am also worried by the trend of players moving across in front of defenders to engage contact in order to with a penalty. Brighton were at it yesterday
I think this is something which VAR excels at, as those types of 'challenges' look bad in real time, but less so on replay. The Pogba challenge was rightly overturned, which wouldn't happen without VAR. Hopefully that continues.

Though it'd help deter attackers from doing it if they were booked for diving afterwards.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
It seems to me that the handball rule issues actually flow from the rules for a penalty. That any infraction inside the area results in a penalty means this innocuous handballs become a real issue. If it was the case that any infraction anywhere on the pitch that stopped a clear goalscoring opportunity resulted in a penalty and infractions in the box that didn't stop a clear goalscoring opportunity were merely free kicks then most of these handball controversies would go away.

cyberman

So basically

Lindelof, Doherty & Ward having the ball drilled at their arm from close range = handball

Havertz using his arm to keep the ball in play from a floated free kick from miles away = no handball

:houllier:
I read today that Havertz should have been ruled out under the new rules because the ball would have went out for a goalkick so the next phase doesnt happen without it?
Apparently the refs are confused which is ridiculous.

Member 101269

I read today that Havertz should have been ruled out under the new rules because the ball would have went out for a goalkick so the next phase doesnt happen without it?
Apparently the refs are confused which is ridiculous.
So, it seems we have a rule/law that is implemented without the refs being guided on the underlaying principles... awesome governance

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I am also worried by the trend of players moving across in front of defenders to engage contact in order to with a penalty. Brighton were at it yesterday.
He did and he’s been consistent in criticising the shambles of a rule since it was introduced.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
His post match press conference is on YouTube, think it’s the second question.
This one?

All he says here is that he prefers the old rule that if it's deliberate it is handball, and if it is accidental it is not.

Yesterday, in his fury of being the victim of a handball decision, he claimed that he did criticise the decision vs United last week. I've watched this post match presser, and read the excerpts from both the BBC and Sky Sports post-match interviews, and he hasn't once criticised the decision. So that was a lie to reinforce his anger at the decision that has gone against them.

You say he's been consistent, but when he benefited from it, his response was a wishy washy "whaddaya make of it these days?" and "I didn't see it on the touchline" to then being the victim of it and claiming "It's destroying my enjoyment of the game of football" and "I don't want to profit or lose from it". That's not consistent.

Jev

It has to stop. Now. This is taking the piss on everyone. Nobody can take this game seriously anymore.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s proper bullshit this.

It’s funny that it’s happened to Spurs & Jose, but I can’t take any enjoyment in it because the game I grew up loving has gone. Spurs robbed.

Once again. How the feck was Havertz not handball? His was floated in from distance & he controlled with his arm. Lindelof, Ward, Doherty & Dier all had the ball blasted at them from close.

liamp

At this point, why not coach your players to just aim at arms now any time they're near the box?

Untd55

Shocking decision. How on earth can you give a handball against someone who is jumping with the ball coming from behind them.

Might as well target the arms at any chance possible.

The handball rule can't be changed, though, because it will be unfair in the rest of the games this season.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Wait, what's the problem here exactly? You know what you're risking when you try to header it in your own box with arms not close to your body.

mu4c_20le

Disgrace this, ridiculous that. Would any of you feel the same if this penalty was given at the first minute of the match instead of the last?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
It's been utter bullshit since the Liverpool penalty v Spurs in the CL final. Ever since then it's been best to just aim at the arm and get a penalty.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Can they not just change it now? Because its fecked up games. Surely all the clubs can pressure the lawmakers here.

The Irish Connection

Hahaha that was hilarious.
But in all seriousness, that was a ridiculous, terrible decision. I agree with the rule if it’s a shot on target, like maguire yesterday, but that on dier is ridiculous.
Looking forward to Mourinhos reaction.

mu4c_20le

It's moronic. The fact that it might be moronic in other sports as well is not an excuse.
I used to feel the same about VAR "ruining the game", but i've gotten used to it now. I think i would be more annoyed at having to live with the injustice if the refs fail to spot something, or made the wrong call on the pitch.