The handball rule

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Wait, what's the problem here exactly? You know what you're risking when you try to header it in your own box with arms not close to your body.
This is my opinion really. Any player with their hands/arm above shoulder height is asking for trouble.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Honestly think before long we'll reach a point where the whole award of penalty will have to be changed before too long.

Let's remember it's a free unobstructed shot from 12 yards with the player balanced when shooting (unlike when you're trying to turn and shoot in box with defender tugging and pushing you. Or John Terry).

Of course penalties are missed but far more are scored than not during the season.

For some of these decisions it's too easy a way to score a goal.

Perhaps we should go for a indirect FK inside the box like you have for a backpass (and used to have for obstruction) unless defender uses his hand on line or stops a shot going in which case penalty and red card is punishment.

Jev

This is my opinion really. Any player with their hands/arm above shoulder height is asking for trouble.
That's how people jump. Jumping with your arms down your side, that would be an unnatural position.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Given the reaction I expected this to be a howler, but Dier's arms are up in the air blocking a header.

In the same way defenders have now all learnt to block with arms behind their back or across their front, they need to do the same here.

slored1

Wait, what's the problem here exactly? You know what you're risking when you try to header it in your own box with arms not close to your body.
Did you ever play football? Carroll jumps on Dier and he naturally moves hands to the side. If anything it's a foul on Dier rather than a fecking pen.

OleBoiii

I understand what they are going for with the handball rule. They want consistency. They want to make it as binary as an offside call.

But clearly it doesn't work. I'd much rather have inconsistent calls than a bullshit penalty every other game.

Denis79

Although it gave me a good laugh seeing Mourinho storm off. Pretty dumb new rule.

Tony247

I am in support of this rule. It is the same for all teams. If you make yourself bigger and ball hits your hand then no option but to give penalty. You cannot simply differentiate between accident and malicious intent. It is better than leaving to refree's own decision as then it brings inconsistency. One team can feel cheated by stricter refree while other can get out without punishment by a lenient refree. One rule for all, one rule without bias will eventually make level playing field over the entire season. I am in full support.

Untd55

Thought the handball against Dier was the correct call.
How? When you jump, your arms go out. Who jumps with their arms by their sides? You won't get any height. Madness, especially when he wasn't even facing the ball.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think the people who are making the rules should go back to basics and think about why the handball rule was there for in the first place.

This new interpretation breaks the game.

Leonzo1

There's a need to find something in between. Some of those calls aren't worthy of a penalty kick but still disserving some kind of punishment. An Indirect free kick is a good Idea.

arnie_ni

So apparently other leagues have had this rule a number of years and its only been brought into the PL this year

Those handball pen stats are mental.

Untd55

I am in support of this rule. It is the same for all teams. If you make yourself bigger and ball hits your hand then no option but to give penalty. You cannot simply differentiate between accident and malicious intent. It is better than leaving to refree's own decision as then it brings inconsistency. One team can feel cheated by stricter refree while other can get out without punishment by a lenient refree. One rule for all, one rule without bias will eventually make level playing field over the entire season. I am in full support.
That is ridiculous. How do you jump without spreading your arms? It is a natural movement to gain lift. It seems utterly ridiculous to punish people for making a natural movement. Any rule that does that is a poor rule. It is not fair at all.

What this means is that Andy Carroll could purposely aim that header at Dier's arms to make it a certain penalty.

It is the same with Lindelof's running arm. You do not run or jump with your arms by your side. They are going to have to strap players arms to their sides to stop this from happening.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For me, that’s a penalty, in any season, not just this one. Dier’s arm extends outward and blocks the header. Yes, it was behind his back, but his arm moves towards the ball and blocks a header. If a player had gone behind his back and he stuck his leg out and accidentally tripped him, it’s a pen too. Intent is overrated. If you stick your arm out, away from your body, it’s a pen. Defenders shouldn’t be able to get away with just ‘accidentally’ blocking shots by sticking their arms above their heads.

arnie_ni

Given the reaction I expected this to be a howler, but Dier's arms are up in the air blocking a header.

In the same way defenders have now all learnt to block with arms behind their back or across their front, they need to do the same here.
You cant jump with your arms at your side. May as well scrap defensive headers and play the second ball

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Can they not just change it now? Because its fecked up games. Surely all the clubs can pressure the lawmakers here.
It definitely needs changing, it’s already cost teams points now though. What a shit show

Chief123

This whole season is going to be a shit show because of this rule.

They are giving a penalty for any contact to a defenders arm if it is in an unnatural position.

Defenders are trying to defend with their arms behind they’re back. But when they jump, there is no chance they can jump without using their arms.

Attackers are just going to start aiming to kick the ball against defenders arms. With their skill it’s very easy to do.

Complete shite rule and needs changing quick.

Chief123

There is no way you can jump and not keep your arms out. It will give attackers a ridiculous advantage over defenders jumping. Nonsense rule.

Chief123

Have you ever tried jumping to head a ball with your arms tucked in?

You would have to jump like a hard on.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That is ridiculous. How do you jump without spreading your arms? It is a natural movement to gain lift. It seems utterly ridiculous to punish people for making a natural movement. Any rule that does that is a poor rule. It is not fair at all.

What this means is that Andy Carroll could purposely aim that header at Dier's arms to make it a certain penalty.

It is the same with Lindelof's running arm. You do not run or jump with your arms by your side. They are going to have to strap players arms to their sides to stop this from happening.
I can imagine there will be carnage and rioting happening by managers with the lawmakers over this right now. It’s become absurd.

Tony247

I know it is ridiculous. But the rule is rule and when apply to all teams over a long season it will even out for all the teams. Hence while applying such rule one should not differentiate between intent, accident. Just take it and move on because it will even out. You will get some decisions on your favour eventually. I am united supproter and talking this after watching penalty against Lindelof, which was again harsh, but I am sure we will get few in our favor over the season.

chris123

What exactly do people think the solution is? The problem is the combination of the rule + VAR now seeing absolutely every hand ball and ruling on it. The rule is being enforced correctly but it's leading to more penalties.

The other issue is that it's only being enforced on penalties which are basically guaranteed goals. If you look at a sport like hockey, if it it touches your foot it's a foul no matter what, but they don't result in direct penalties.

Could the rule be changed so that an inadvertent hand ball leads to an indirect free kick? Because you're playing a very dangerous game if you change the rule to make it so that it has to be a "deliberate" hand ball.

In this situation, Dier's arms are clearly away from his body and they block a shot on goal. He might not do it deliberately but that's obviously some sort of foul.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A brilliant answer by Jose "I won't say anything, I'd rather give my money to charity than to the FA"

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
For me, that’s a penalty, in any season, not just this one. Dier’s arm extends outward and blocks the header. Yes, it was behind his back, but his arm moves towards the ball and blocks a header. If a player had gone behind his back and he stuck his leg out and accidentally tripped him, it’s a pen too. Intent is overrated. If you stick your arm out, away from your body, it’s a pen. Defenders shouldn’t be able to get away with just ‘accidentally’ blocking shots by sticking their arms above their heads.
Agreed. Struggling to work out what's happening to football coverage. Dier's completely reckless in regards to being in control of his limbs.

peridigm

It doesn’t matter if you make yourself bigger. If the ball hits your hand or arm, it’s given. The new rule does remove any bias or human interpretation of whether it was intentional or accidental but it’s not always fair. I think the issue is that if a player is not facing the ball and jumps for instance, his arm may be in a position that the ball hits it and will concede a penalty. Expecting players to not use their body for momentum when jumping in a sport that requires jumping is a bit crazy.

liamp

IMO it's not a comparable situation. Defenders now naturally block with their arms at their side or tucked in, but that doesn't create a significant natural advantage for the attacker. If a defender is forced to jump with his arms at his side when contesting for a ball in the air, there's a huge natural advantage for an attacker who can actually use his arms to create momentum.

Untd55

That is completely different. Who jumps with their arms by their sides? You will be constantly outjumped by the opposition as not spreading your arms seriously impacts your capability to gain height. Why do you think in every jumping sports people lift their arms? It is a massive handicap to the defending team.

mu4c_20le

That is completely different. Who jumps with their arms by their sides? You will be constantly outjumped by the opposition as not spreading your arms seriously impacts your capability to gain height. Why do you think in every jumping sports people lift their arms? It is a massive handicap to the defending team.
Then they need to adapt to the modern game. You can't play basketball anymore.