The Higher Education Thread | First University with £18k pa fees to open

Silva

What would be better for the government. The government. The current system is costing the country billions and is unaffordable.
People who go to university earn a lot more money than those who don't. They pay more taxes, they become doctors, nurses, midwife's, philosophers, film makers, TV producers and in most cases teachers. If you think that subsidising these people is unaffordable then I'm curious to know what you would spend money on.

Not to mention, university spending is a drop in the ocean compared to the overall amount of money government spends. I'd much rather cut crap like trident than university spending.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
People who go to university earn a lot more money than those who don't. They pay more taxes, they become doctors, nurses, midwife's, philosophers, film makers, TV producers and in most cases teachers. If you think that subsidising these people is unaffordable then I'm curious to know what you would spend money on.

Not to mention, university spending is a drop in the ocean compared to the overall amount of money government spends. I'd much rather cut crap like trident than university spending.
The current system is unaffordable. Students do not pay fees up front, they are paid for by the State, and only start paying back a proportion of their wages after the earnings threshold. In other words, these 'fees' will never be paid back in full. The increased fees actually makes the State worse off.

This will either lead to private institutions being created from the current university stock, or it will mean that the entire debate will need to be had again in under a decade.

At the moment, the government is paying more money out whilst heavily cutting research and teaching budgets. Stating this does not mean that I am suddenly a supporter of a free-market free for all.

Commadus

The problem of having a total private system of education will create the following problem. To get a good job you need a degree to get a degree you need to pay an arm and leg.

Frosty

How would you define what is affordable?
I would define it in two ways.

The first would be broad, taking into account increased tax revenues brought in by graduates and the savings of costs this brings (savings in health and pensions through better quality of life).

The second is more important, and relates directly to the budget deficit that the government states must be reduced and credit ratings agencies agree upon. Despite this, the government has created a system of higher education which will inevitably vastly increase government expenditure and reduce the quality of higher education, which surely does not make sense?

surf

The devil may be in the details. Are these professors from the USA going to fly over twice a week, or will they be teaching online, which is not quite the same thing?

Big names usually only work at universities with strong post-graduate programmes and large groups of like-minded colleagues, and it is not clear that this university is starting out with much more than an undergraduate degree in a few subjects. It would not be competition for Oxford or Cambridge, especially at that price.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Dont want to hijack this thread, just a quick question- PhD by distance learning, has anyone done it? Thoughts?

surf

Dont want to hijack this thread, just a quick question- PhD by distance learning, has anyone done it? Thoughts?
I would say yes, up to a certain point if the subject is theoretical so you don't need to be in a science lab 24/7. Once you are on to the thesis, whether the research or write-up phase, you don't need to meet your supervisor very often, and it can mostly be done remotely with occasional face to face meetings. So living a couple of hundred miles away from campus is feasible. A PhD is mostly an individual activity anyway.

Frosty

Where are you thinking of doing it and at which institution?

I would say a qualified yes, depending upon the resources available to you and the supervisor you are looking at studying under.

Will you be working at the same time?

Anna_Livia

A jumped up pantry bhoy, who never knew his place.
Looking at the names of staff, it would be an amazing learning experience.
it'd be a much lesser learning experience than you currently get at any half-decent university. Grayling's brought in a bunch of old-fart Sunday Supplement blowhards who'll do a few lectures each and then bugger off back to their comfy posts in the Ivy League/TV-land for the rest of the year. Meanwhile, the actual day-to-day teaching will be carried out by ...well, who, exactly isn't clear yet. It certainly won't be the big-hitters.

The course outlines that they've put up on their website are exactly the same as the ones on the University of London external learning degree, which you could do for £3500 while watching Dawkins, Grayling et al lecturing on Youtube or iTunesU for nowt. They all look rather conservative and, as you'd expect from an institution run by a bunch of old-timers, none of the modules is even close to the cutting edge of research.

Your classmates would consist of people who weren't bright enough to get into a proper university, but who had big enough chequebooks to get into this place.

It's a shit idea, and I hope it fails.

Frosty

Tough quotas on student numbers may have to be introduced to avoid the creation of a spending black hole under plans to raise tuition fees at English universities to a maximum of £9,000, a powerful committee of MPs has warned.

Ministers underestimated how many universities would charge the maximum fee and now face an annual bill to fund the interest-free student loans that is "several hundred million pounds" higher than anticipated, the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) reports.

The current balance of outstanding loans – £24bn – is expected to rise to £70bn by 2015-16, the report says.
Student numbers could be cut to cover spiralling cost of loans | Education | The Guardian

Student numbers to be cut then. No surprise there.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Where are you thinking of doing it and at which institution?

I would say a qualified yes, depending upon the resources available to you and the supervisor you are looking at studying under.

Will you be working at the same time?
I was thinking about Nottingham and yes, I'd be working at the same time. The thing is though I'm not sure to what extent I'd be able to conduct my research if I'd be working full time as well. I guess it would depend on the research subject but for what I had in mind I would need to travel a lot and spend a lot of time abroad. The other option would be an MPhil, part-time, just to see how it goes.
I'm still undecided on all this, just checking out the options atm.

Frosty

it'd be a much lesser learning experience than you currently get at any half-decent university. Grayling's brought in a bunch of old-fart Sunday Supplement blowhards who'll do a few lectures each and then bugger off back to their comfy posts in the Ivy League/TV-land for the rest of the year. Meanwhile, the actual day-to-day teaching will be carried out by ...well, who, exactly isn't clear yet. It certainly won't be the big-hitters.

The course outlines that they've put up on their website are exactly the same as the ones on the University of London external learning degree, which you could do for £3500 while watching Dawkins, Grayling et al lecturing on Youtube or iTunesU for nowt. They all look rather conservative and, as you'd expect from an institution run by a bunch of old-timers, none of the modules is even close to the cutting edge of research.

Your classmates would consist of people who weren't bright enough to get into a proper university, but who had big enough chequebooks to get into this place.

It's a shit idea, and I hope it fails.
Spoilsport...

I was thinking about Nottingham and yes, I'd be working at the same time. The thing is though I'm not sure to what extent I'd be able to conduct my research if I'd be working full time as well. I guess it would depend on the research subject but for what I had in mind I would need to travel a lot and spend a lot of time abroad. The other option would be an MPhil, part-time, just to see how it goes.
I'm still undecided on all this, just checking out the options atm.
I think the travel is key. With many MPhils and PhDs distance learning is possible due to the amount of electronic resources needed (and subsequently little empirical work required). Part-time study is always an option. I would e-mail the prospective supervisors or department you would like to study at to ask them their opinions.

hungrywing

Higher education bubble?
Probably shouldn't just leave it at that. Most people have no idea what that means.

It's wonderfully skewed, and leaves out all of the actual causes of the bubble, but is slightly better than nothing.

...Your classmates would consist of people who weren't bright enough to get into a proper university, but who had big enough chequebooks to get into this place...
One of the less-oft-mentioned traits of the higher-education bubble is that the system actively encourages admission of otherwise lacking candidates.

This might not sound that controversial until you realize this means you and up to 90% of the people sitting next to you. That weird girl you sometimes see walking around campus who does calculus on her fingers and finishes a three-hour advanced physics exam in fifteen minutes, that girl is the only person who'd have been allowed enrollment under the initial spirit which most institutions of higher learning were founded upon.