The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Pressure is up to 921 mb. It's getting weaker....Still not to be taken lightly though. Rush Limbaugh, you geebag!

The long range forecasts I saw had it dropping to a cat 4 as it got closer to FL, and today's rise in pressure would fit that.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Ahahah yeah! Forgot about it.
If you read what he said even though his house was destroyed he saw it as a good experience to be that close to a major storm.

‘I haven’t had a sleepover quite like it since I was a kid. Strangely, it’s a privilege to experience what is turning into possibly the strongest storm ever with such a great group of young people.

‘We were listening to the parrots in their boxes in the next room chattering away. Watching the tortoises congregating together, as if they sense what is coming our way.’

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
If you read what he said even though his house was destroyed he saw it as a good experience to be that close to a major storm.

‘I haven’t had a sleepover quite like it since I was a kid. Strangely, it’s a privilege to experience what is turning into possibly the strongest storm ever with such a great group of young people.

‘We were listening to the parrots in their boxes in the next room chattering away. Watching the tortoises congregating together, as if they sense what is coming our way.’
He sounds drunk :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Cheers Pal. Much thanks to the mods to let me post for the time. I'm a full of shit and a clown but this is serious. Hit me up on snapchat. if I can help I will.
I'll be thinking of you brother, stay safe.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
So are any of these bad boys going to affect my flight to Miami on Monday 18th or will they have all dissipated by then?
I'm guessing the latter as it's just under a fortnight away but I'm far from an expert in this field.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
So are any of these bad boys going to affect my flight to Miami on Monday 18th or will they have all dissipated by then?
I'm guessing the latter as it's just under a fortnight away but I'm far from an expert in this field.
I think you only need to worry about potential damage for your hotel etc.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Depends on the amount of damage to the airport, hotel, infrastructure, do they end up using hotels as housing for anyone made homeless by the storm, the food and fresh water situation, how long it takes any flooding to recede, etc etc etc.

While I am all for helping an areas which depends on tourism to get back on track, depending on the extent of damage, and the reason for going, I'd consider cancelling and trying again when things have settled back down.

Last edited:

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Depends on the amount of damage to the airport, hotel, infrastructure, do they end up using hotels as housing for anyone made homeless by the storm, the food and fresh water situation, how long it takes any flooding to recede, etc etc etc.

While I am all for helping an areas which depends on tourism to get back on track, depending on the extent of damage, and the reason for going, I'd consider cancelling and trying again when things have settled back down.
I've already got flights booked from Lima to Miami and then onto London.
I could stay in Latin America for a while longer if need be though.
Cheers all.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Not looking good at all. The main two models are predicting a full on south Florida landfall in 72 hours with their latest runs. These are lines of best fit, so aren't 100% reliable or anything but man...

GFS Model 72 hr (big image):

EURO model 72 hr (big image):

Euro predicted path beyond 72 hours - hurricane force winds up to Georgia (big image):

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Not looking good at all. The main two models are predicting a full on south Florida landfall in 72 hours with their latest runs. These are lines of best fit, so aren't 100% reliable or anything but man...

GFS Model 72 hr (big image):

EURO model 72 hr (big image):

Euro predicted path beyond 72 hours - hurricane force winds up to Georgia (big image):

Damn, that puts it right on top of basically every major city in Florida. It's a perfect hit.

Or, worst possible might be a better descriptor.

NotworkSte

5pm update was distinctly unwelcome. Daughter college was evacuated tonight in St Augustine so she has come inland to Orlando.

Blackwidow

Ah - my son's American Grandparents and his Dad moved to Lakeland, Florida a year ago. In the models before Irma did not make a landfall in Florida so that region was safe - if it comes like this they will be hit, too. Granpa is still telling horror stories of hurricane Hugo which hit the Carolinas badly in about 89. His house in North Carolina has a basement build with a wall of 2 rows of blocks because of that...

I do not really care about my Ex and his wife - but about the two old people.