The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

SteveTheRed

Is that not slightly skewed by so much of Houston not being insured for flood damage?
I read early that RMS had forecast $90bn of economic losses (of which an uncertain percentage may be insured) so the $30bn could be insured ?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Can't even imagine the state of Everglades if the animals start moving into residential communities to avoid flood waters. Its full of Burmese pythons and alligators.

Neutral

BTV
Interesting idea from George Monbiot on twitter earlier that we should start naming hurricanes after the most notorious/influential climate change deniers and fossil fuel companies.
alternatively, give them muslim names - Hurricane Abdullah is bearing down on Florida. Believe me, that'll turn the deniers into the strongest advocates of man made climate change/global warming

IWat

The islands are going to take a pounding. The shallower water will weaken it before it makes land on the US, I remember quite a few where they've predicted the worst and it has weakened drastically more than they predicted before it hits the coast. I hope this is one.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=57.2;-7.6;4&l=wind
Live weather map if anyone is interested.
According to that link, predicting where it goes over the next few days it's going to miss Florida completely and come in land through Georgia. The worst of the storm will go along the coast just off of Florida which will get hit by the lower gales. Still shitty, but doesn't look as bad as first thought?

iKnowNothing

The islands are going to take a pounding. The shallower water will weaken it before it makes land on the US, I remember quite a few where they've predicted the worst and it has weakened drastically more than they predicted before it hits the coast. I hope this is one.
This. I remember reading/hearing about such hurricanes that are initially projected to be Cat 5 only for them to be reduced to Cat 3.
In any event, I believe Florida or US in general is better equipped to handle such an enormous storm over the islands in the Caribbean.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Now upgraded to a Category 5. Being that I, and some other caftards, live in Florida, we'll be keeping an eye on it in this thread. Fingers crossed that it doesn't cross into the Gulf of Mexico.

I don't mean to make light of the situation, but I have to say, these shots of hurricanes are magnificent. From this angle they're quite beautiful things.
It's just a shame they're so destructive down on the ground.

FéNaSeleção

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=57.2;-7.6;4&l=wind
Live weather map if anyone is interested.
That site is fecking incredible, I never heard of it before.

The eye looks like it will stay in the ocean, but the immediate coastline will get hammered. My mum is there right now, she's not sure what's she's going to do - she's more worried about the cat than herself. Seriously.

Last edited:

SteveTheRed

That site is fecking incredible, I never heard of it before.

The eye looks like it will stay in the ocean, but the immediate coastline will get hammered. My mum is there right now, she's not sure what's she's going to do - she's more worried about the cat than herself. Seriously.
I know, it's pretty impressive! I've had it on my other screen at work all day and every passer by has been intrigued

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
I know, it's pretty impressive! I've had it on my other screen at work all day and every passer by has been intrigued
Tried putting it to 21:00 on Saturday, if that calculation turns out right it will be one hell of a storm.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I read early that RMS had forecast $90bn of economic losses (of which an uncertain percentage may be insured) so the $30bn could be insured ?
Problem is those that insured usually are those who can afford reparation (although it's still cost them)

Those that cant afford one are usually the hardest hit.

It's kinda hard decision to make paying up more for force majeur insurance as people didn't really think they'll ever need one until it's too late

HTG

Supports
Bayern
With Irma looming near Florida and having the current political situation in the US in the back of the head, I'm actually more afraid of the possible aftermath. Remembering what happened when Katrina hit New Orleans, I think it's extremely worrying to think about what might happen if there should be any looting etc. Don't think the US has the personell to handle potentially dangerous situations in the deescalating manner that would be required.
Or to to put it simple: if the cops do cop things, shit might go down.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Not to worry, Florida is progressive thinking as far as gun control - there aren't places to get concealed weapon licenses every few hundred meters

Except there is

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Not to worry, Florida is progressive thinking as far as gun control - there aren't places to get concealed weapon licenses every few hundred meters

Except there is
And if I'm not mistaken Florida is struggling heavily with drug related crimes. I'd go as far as saying that the aftermath of a hurricane might be paradise for those who want to make an easy buck to pay for their addiction.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I don't mean to make light of the situation, but I have to say, these shots of hurricanes are magnificent. From this angle they're quite beautiful things.
It's just a shame they're so destructive down on the ground.
Not offense taken at all. I agree that the power of mother nature is beautiful to witness from a distance.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Except there is
:lol: They don't call it the Gunshine State for no reason.

NotworkSte

Spaghetti charts looking better for us in the Tampa area but still a lot of uncertainty.. Whatever happens, going to get a battering though, but feel better about having daughter come home now. She is at Flagler college in St Augustine and is going to get a bit rough up there.

IWat

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Too be fair, those kind of systems are completely automated. When it sees a surge in people trying to book certain tickets for a certain time it assumes there is some kind of event going on and thus based on supply/demand increases the price.
and 1 or 2 seats left. Nothing to see here IMHO.

wr8_utd

:'(
Barbuda has been completely decimated according to the PM. Almost all roads, properties and vehicles are destroyed. Just hope the 1500 odd people managed to save themselves somehow but it doesn't look good :(

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
If people want up to date info on Irma there's a really decent subreddit that has the latest computer prediction models and fly by information (Wind speed, pressure). Also has good info for closures, evac plans and stuff.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Unless it's you trying to get your family member out of the path...
Some price gouging is more obvious than others but it still looks that way to me.
Nah, price gouging would be if there were 20plus seats left. Nobody thought it would be a good idea to make 1000 extra bucks for a hurricane.

Inter Yer Nan

Think San Juan (and Bayamon, Guaynabo etc and most of the north like Fajardo will be a few days, but other remote parts of the Island could be months like in the countryside.

Puerto Rico has needed investment in underground cables for years given the weather and the current infrastructure. Been a rough few years with the economic crisis, the zika outbreaks and now this.