The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

Neutral

BTV
Think San Juan (and Bayamon, Guaynabo etc and most of the north like Fajardo will be a few days, but other remote parts of the Island could be months like in the countryside.

Puerto Rico has needed investment in underground cables for years given the weather and the current infrastructure. Been a rough few years with the economic crisis, the zika outbreaks and now this.
Yup, I remember all the financial kerfuffle months ago....it needed BILLIONS.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Think San Juan (and Bayamon, Guaynabo etc and most of the north like Fajardo will be a few days, but other remote parts of the Island could be months like in the countryside.

Puerto Rico has needed investment in underground cables for years given the weather and the current infrastructure. Been a rough few years with the economic crisis, the zika outbreaks and now this.
PR would have been the focus of much national attention recently were it a state. Not too long ago I hired an engineer from there who was willing to move to West Texas of all places. The young professionals have been leaving in droves; brain drain, I think they call it.

Inter Yer Nan

PR would have been the focus of much national attention recently were it a state. Not too long ago I hired an engineer from there who was willing to move to West Texas of all places. The young professionals have been leaving in droves; brain drain, I think they call it.
Yeah, it's shocking really. They are neglected somewhat and their hands are tied as they can't declare bankruptcy given their status. People are leaving the island at an alarming rate, good skilled educated professionals and nobody really wants to leave other than for opportunity of course.

The place is a paradise. I hope to buy one day there.

Carolina Red

Staff
Spaghetti models have started showing the eye possibly passing over the Upstate SC area

Last time that happened afaik was Hugo when I was an infant.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Yeah, it's shocking really. They are neglected somewhat and their hands are tied as they can't declare bankruptcy given their status. People are leaving the island at an alarming rate, good skilled educated professionals and nobody really wants to leave other than for opportunity of course.

The place is a paradise. I hope to buy one day there.
such a pity. what's gone wrong over there? wrong thread I know but as it was brought up...

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Nah, price gouging would be if there were 20plus seats left. Nobody thought it would be a good idea to make 1000 extra bucks for a hurricane.
"JetBlue airline announced they are offering $99 flights out of Florida, waiving cancellation fees and adding more flights ahead of #Irma."

That's more like it!
Of course it doesn't say how much to get back... ;)

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
from the NHC: MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...914 MB.
Looks like the pressure has dropped a little from earlier where iirc it was 920 mb. Not an improvement.

Inter Yer Nan

such a pity. what's gone wrong over there? wrong thread I know but as it was brought up...
In short basically their own government were getting fat and screwing over its people and also a lot of companies from the US used it as sort of a tax haven and that did drive out a lot of mom & pop business and hurt the middle class. There's a lot of loopholes because of their status as a territory not a state and they really didn't benefit as people thought they would. The debt is crippling and sure people still live better than in DR or Cuba, but how much longer for? They had a bad recession about 20 years ago and were getting back but things got really bad 7-8 years ago and have really escalated these past 2-3 years. They can't file for bankruptcy either so they are in a really tough spot.

PR does produce a lot of the pharmaceuticals for the US and the education level is very good for Latin American standards, but like I said a lot of professionals such as lawyers, doctors, laborers are struggling for work over there because of the collapse (which is doubly bad with doctors with the zika) so they move to the US easily. Those in the tourism sector, the government or in pharmaceuticals make decent money and have careers but it's troubling for damn near everyone else. They really should push their tourism more. They seem to really only push it to the US, whereas they aren't tapping into the European market or the Canadian market which Dominican Republic and Mexico do and do very well.

IWat

Looks like the pressure has dropped a little from earlier where iirc it was 920 mb. Not an improvement.
It's not going to get any better until it reaches the Turks & Caicos islands where it will start to hit shallower water and begin to run out of steam. It's in someways arguably I guess a shame it didn't continue West for a little while, if it had passed over the Dominican Republic and Haiti rather than skirting the edge it would have hit far shallower water far quicker. But then they'd probably have been hit even harder.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah it's hit warmer water. The last Recon flight that I saw a report from said they found a strengthening hurricane everywhere they went

Deleted member 101472

Crazy that this thing could affect 37 million people.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The effects of Irma look devastating, unbelievable power.

Hunker down over there Caftards, thinking of you all in the Caribbean and the US. Take care.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
My father had a ticket to visit South Florida this week and he canceled it upon news of Irma, airlines won't refund him since they haven't been given that latitude to do so. Gotta love traveler rights - they don't exist

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Bugger, girl I know from travelling, who lives in San Juan, was on WhatsApp as I went to bed last night and is no longer on it this morning. Wonder if her phone went dead and there's severe power outages now?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Not sure what he was trying to prove with that stunt. Spent the night in his wine cellar apparently, the poor guy.
Can't really win either way though:

Richard Branson flies out on private helicopter whilst locals brave the storm.

Richard Branson bravely stays behind in solidarity with locals, but a bit stupid because he could have got away to safety.