The Impossible Draft

Enigma_87

You know who
Obdulio Varela: The wise champion

Who is the greatest captain of all time?

"When we walk out onto the pitch, don't look up at the stands. On the pitch, it's 11 against 11." Reports claim that about 200,000 people were in the stands of the Maracana for the decisive match of the 1950 World Cup between Brazil and Uruguay, but Obdulio Varela wasn't going to let his teammates feel that the spectators would have a say in the result.

Not yet 13 years old when Uruguay hosted and won the first World Cup in 1930, Varela would be the country's captain 20 years later in their second appearance in the tournament -- and their second triumph. Although it has been suggested as the most famous of his prematch phrases, "los de afuera son de palo" ("those outside [the pitch] don't matter") was actually uttered by a teammate -- the magnificently named Schubert Gambetta -- Varela's leadership was key to the team in every way.

He was the archetype of the rioplatense No. 5, or deep-lying midfielder; able to handle himself physically, superb at shielding his defence and linking play to the midfield, Varela also had a ferocious shot from outside the penalty area, which England learned in Switzerland during the 1954 World Cup. In the quarterfinals, with the score at 1-1 and six minutes before half-time, Varela hit a fine drive from outside the box that England goalkeeper Gil Merrick couldn't reach -- it was one of any number of long-rangers he scored during his career.

He led by example on the pitch in more ways than merely scoring at key moments, though. Let's go back to the Maracana on July 16, 1950. Brazil had dominated the first half, but the Uruguayan defence had kept them at arm's length comfortably enough that, at half-time, they realised there was no reason they couldn't win. Two minutes into the second half, though, Friaca opened the scoring for the hosts.

Varela realised at this point that, with the crowd and Brazilian players whipped into a frenzy, something needed to be done to calm the atmosphere and allow him and his teammates time to regain their composure. He got to the ball first as it nestled in the net, picked it up and put it under his arm. And while walking it back to the centre spot, he started remonstrating with the English referee, George Reader.

The goal seemed perfectly valid, but the argument continued as Varela demanded a translator be called onto the pitch to help the officials explain why no offside had been flagged for in the buildup to the goal. The crowd, of course, had no idea what the argument was about. The strangeness of the situation meant that by the time the game was ready to restart, the stadium had fallen silent, and the delirium of moments before had been forgotten already.

Little by little, Uruguay imposed themselves on the match, driven forward from midfield by Varela. Nineteen minutes after Brazil's goal, Varela moved forward and sprayed a pass to the right wing, where Alcides Ghiggia received the ball before beating his man and putting in a cross for Juan Alberto Schiaffino to equalise.

Five years ago, Roque Maspoli, Uruguay's goalkeeper from 1950, denied that Varela's protests to the referee had been to buy time, even claiming a flag had been raised: "The goal was offside and the linesman had put his flag up -- that's why we were protesting, that's all." Varela's protests might have been gamesmanship but, nonetheless, they were supremely effective.

Varela's leadership didn't only remain on the pitch, though. He was as renowned for his solidarity with teammates as for his tackling and playmaking. In 1945, he was captain of a Penarol side that beat Argentine club River Plate. As a reward, the club's directors said they would pay each player 250 pesos -- with 500 for Varela. Varela's response? "I didn't play any more or less than anyone else. If you think I'm worth a 500-peso bonus, then you give everyone 500 pesos. If they only deserve 250, then so do I."

Given the reputation that Uruguayan football has today, it might surprise some to hear that Varela was also known for his fair play. He appears to have had a healthy sense of dry humour, too; once, when captaining Penarol, he is said to have protested an opposing foul (which wasn't called as such by the referee) by approaching the official and politely requesting that, if any of his own teammates committed such a foul, they be immediately sent off, because he -- Varela -- wouldn't tolerate any such play from his own players.

But Varela was never given his due by the Asociacion Uruguaya de Futbol (AUF). He was honoured by FIFA in the United States shortly before the start of the 1994 World Cup, but his life was marked by poor relationships with AUF and club directors. He once said that if he'd realised the association's suits would take the credit for the 1950 victory: "I'd have scored an own goal." The prize money he was given for that victory was only enough to buy a 1931 model Ford (which was stolen from him a week later).

A month short of five years after that World Cup win, by now a player-coach of Penarol (his former teammate Maspoli was the manager), Varela would play his final match, also in the Maracana, against America of Rio de Janeiro. Entering the pitch as a second-half substitute, Varela soon realized he wasn't up to the pace of the game and had himself subbed back off. America won 4-1. The result wasn't what he would have wished for, but it was at least a fitting stage on which to end his career.

On that 1950 WC win:

“These are the world champions.” The headline on Brazilian newspaper O Mundo on the morning of the game

“Juancito is a good man but today he is wrong. If we play defensively against Brazil, our fate will be no different from Spain or Sweden.” Obdulio Varela, having earlier got the Uruguayan squad to urinate on editions of O Mundo, tells them to disregard their manager’s instructions

“Boys, the crowd may as well be made of wood. Let the show begin.” Varela calms his players’ nerves with an inspirational speech.

“[The Brazilian defence] did the logical thing. I did the illogical thing… I had a little luck. In football you need luck and you need to go after luck.” Ghiggia on the six seconds

“The silence was morbid, sometimes too difficult to bear.” World Cup founder Jules Rimet

“There really was only silence. It was a complete silence. You could only hear our shouts… They could not have equalised. They did not react.” Ghiggia

“Everywhere has its irremediable national catastrophe, something like a Hiroshima. Our catastrophe, our Hiroshima, was the defeat by Uruguay in 1950.” Brazilian writer Nelson Rodrigues
Club Career

Playing at centre-half, Varela's style was a forerunner of a modern holding midfielder. He got his chance to play at the highest level when he moved to Montevideo Wanderers in 1938. Helping the team to a fourth place finish in the league in his first season, he was called into the national squad for the 1939 South American Championship in Peru. His debut came in Uruguay's second match, a 3-2 win over Chile, but he did not appear in the decisive final game against the hosts which Uruguay lost to finish in second place.

At club level, Varela's time with Wanderers was only moderately successful. Between 1939 and 1942, they finished third in the league three times in four seasons but the leading clubs Nacional and Peñarol were just out of reach. He remained a crucial member of the national team however, becoming Uruguay's captain in 1941 as they finished second in the South American Championship again, before winning it on home soil a year later.

It was just a matter of time before he moved to one of the bigger clubs in Montevideo and early in 1943, Varela signed for Peñarol where he would spend the remainder of his playing career. His first season saw Peñarol miss out on the title to Nacional, but in 1944 the two teams finished level on points and a play-off was needed. After a goalless first match, Nacional led the replay 2-0 but Peñarol quickly pulled a goal back before Varela equalised with a penalty. A third goal minutes later gave Peñarol a 3-2 win and Varela a first league title.

Peñarol defended their title in 1945 and after finishing second to Nacional for three years in a row, won it back from their rivals in 1949.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Gio

My suggestion: start Thursday afternoon?

I can only post a bit in the evening so I won't be as active as usual and it's not in my intention to write bad things about your team.

Good luck!

Just got a ticket to Croatia - England :drool:
Fantastic. Enjoy the game.

@Ecstatic won this round for me. Tigana and Laudrup are great picks.
Thanks but I play against Gio :nervous:

Charly

Sorry for the confusion guys, I did use this11.com but sent out tactic in the same pm as previous round tactic. I have sent a new pm to EAP & Onenil.

idmanager

Won't be around for a few hours and since I guess I go first whenever reinforcements start, leaving my drop and pick here.
Drop VR Andrade, pick Carlos Alberto