The Incredible Sulk – also known as Marcus Rashford

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
What's he good at? Serious question.
Playing on the counter. Running onto long balls and shooting. He's actually one of the best in the world at that.

He's below average at everything else.

justboy68

Never been reliable enough and because of his terrible effort levels his lows are really, really low. With Garnacho playing from the left we should seriously look at moving him on if we can get good money. We can't afford to be totally beholden to his purple patches in form.

led_scholes

Last year I said that even if he scored 50 goals I would still sell him. He didn't score that much but he had a prolific year. However, some of his shortcomings were even obvious in his best year.
He is not world class and he will never be. He has half the talent of Saka but we have treated him as one of the bests in the world. Any structured organization would have sold him last summer.

Lost bear

I should really do some research before raising this point, but on the face of it our attack seems to be rejuvenated when Rashford is not in it. For all the problems the other night in the CL, our attackers ( and I’m including Fernandez here) played with passion and verve and appeared to enjoy themselves. Not the case now when Marcus plays, is it?

led_scholes

He has zero belief in Ten Hag and a choice between the pair for me is Rashford.

It's wrong he is is not performing for Ten Hag but he is the better bet for us.
Ehh what? Rashford has offered less than what he has received. ETH may not be the answer, but after all these years we can safely conclude that Rashford is not the answer either.

arthurka

All I see is him throwing another manager under the bus. The state of this clown.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The purple patch last season fooled a lot of us into thinking he’d turned a corner. Many of us just had it right that he isn’t very good.
Even during his purple patch there was a problem; he was selfish as feck. When he scored THAT goal against Barcelona and everyone was tossing him off it was a problem. He had options to pass to but he instead went for the near impossible shot, which had he missed it would have resulted in people saying "he should have passed that".

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What's he good at? Serious question.
What he’s good at:

- Explosive on the counter (only when in great form)
- Big goal threat on the counter (only when it great form)

What he’s not good at:

- Performing in tight spaces
- Football intelligence
- Work rate and defensive output
- Team play
- Being in great form
- Possession football

If SJR and the executives he’s bringing over have any quality to them, Rashford will be out of the door immediately. He’s the antithesis of what you need in an attacking unit at a big club in the modem game. Football now is all about the engine and physicality of the collective combined with a base level of quality and intelligence. Forwards and wingers have to press and suffocate their opponents unless they’re rare /old geniuses who get a free pass. Rashford belongs either in the 1960s or at a small club in 2023. His lack of quality and intelligence on the ball and pathetic output off it, has no place at a club that wants to achieve big things in this day and age. These have to be basic qualities and he does not possess them. A nice run of form should not change that. He’s a star player for Everton / Brentford masquerading as a failed star player for Manchester United.

telstar96

Big up all the cafe users who had to endure the attempts of excommunication from others due to the mere suggestion that Rashford has flaws (some of which that are major). Saw so many getting dunked on when sharing reservations about rashford new deal.

Hopefully he can turn it around but honestly feels unlikely. One thing I'm very certain of is that he's not going to improve technically. His window of development has well and truly passed.

Hammondo

Huh? He was world class for about three months in 19/20. That's it. An argument could be had for three months in 22/23 as well, but personally I wouldn't say he was. Good yes, probably even great. But not world class.

The rest of the time he's either been managing to get a decent amount of goals and assists while his general form has been mostly poor, or he's been downright terrible and not scoring goals or assists.

Edit: Actually, you're being sarcastic aren't you. Sadly it's hard to tell sometimes with some of the beliefs on here.
I was thinking the same until you explained he was being sarcastic. There are fans who have said those things for years in our defence.

Hammondo

Big up all the cafe users who had to endure the attempts of excommunication from others due to the mere suggestion that Rashford has flaws (some of which that are major). Saw so many getting dunked on when sharing reservations about rashford new deal.

Hopefully he can turn it around but honestly feels unlikely. One thing I'm very certain of is that he's not going to improve technically. His window of development has well and truly passed.
It's all mainly down to the fact that we judge attacking players based off of if they scored a goal.

Hammondo

Playing on the counter. Running onto long balls and shooting. He's actually one of the best in the world at that.

He's below average at everything else.
He has a very very average shot. He's good at running in straight lines.

Hammondo

Last year I said that even if he scored 50 goals I would still sell him. He didn't score that much but he had a prolific year. However, some of his shortcomings were even obvious in his best year.
He is not world class and he will never be. He has half the talent of Saka but we have treated him as one of the bests in the world. Any structured organization would have sold him last summer.
Because attacking is not about how many goals an individual scores.

lex talionis

We could all see his head wasn’t into it early in the game, maybe the second minute, when he dribbled straight into two defenders and easily gave up possession. The pathetic sulking immediately commenced.

OleGunnar20

For the love of feck ETH drop this guy. I'll admit to being fooled by last years form, having wanted him out for the dreadful effort the season before.

I can't stand watching this lazy sulking shite. I'd rather be rid of anyone who won't put in maximum effort as a basic fundamental from now, no matter who they are.

Antony might be shite but at least he tries.

Partridge

It's true. His development period is well and truly over. He's been on thin ice for a good while now..He joined in february 2016. thus far, he's managed 2 goals, 1 assist. in 22/23 he managed 17 goals/5 assists in 35 matches. 21/22 season he managed 4 goals/2 assists in 25 games. 20/21 he managed 11 goals/9 assists in 37 games. He's never been world class, or anywhere near it. We should sell him while he's worth something.

Irrational.

He’s a victim of his own (early) success. He burst onto the scene against Midgetland but has stagnated after believing his own hype.

Ahmer Baig

He has zero belief in Ten Hag and a choice between the pair for me is Rashford.

It's wrong he is is not performing for Ten Hag but he is the better bet for us.
He hasnt performed for last 3 managers as well.

Sgreddevil

He
He’s a more talented Wellbeck. Such a player but his level swings from easily droppable to undroppable so randomly.

Garnacho is similar, but even when he’s not impactful he contributes.

Rashford ain’t for this league. He’d destroy the Bundesliga.
He may have more talent than Wellbeck but workrate and match professionism are miles apart. At our current situation, we need a Wellbeck more than a luxurious Rashford

Appletonred

Wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes under Ferguson when we were a proper football club and not a commercial brand.

ZainCRse7en

Girlfriend issues again? Who is this girl who has been tormenting his life? Just leave her and move on with your life for good ffs.

Last edited:

Valencia Shin Crosses

Those of us who wanted him sold a couple seasons back were right. But as usual the dimwits in charge and many top reds refuse to think about the long term good of this club

We're sinking further because we continue to make one stupid mistake after another and no lessons are ever learnt
As a club we seem incapable of ever making shrewd moves. Having PSG fork out 100m for him last summer after his "WC season" would have been a masterstroke. Instead we gave him an enormous contract for 1 good season (his second good season out of 9 essentially) and allowed him to run the show.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I refuse to believe a player can experience such a nosedive in terms of performance level.
This is unbelievable.

I also don't think we need to keep starting him, this isn't working for both parties.
Oh he should have been benched weeks ago. This isn't a case of "he's not scoring and is poor in front of goal". This is a case of a star player acting like a superstar while playing at a U-18 level. He basically does everything wrong in these matches on the ball and off of it he refuses to put in any effort. He can get fecked.

gregwar

We just can't rely on him. Awful attitude when things aren't going his way. I'd happily take an offer for him in the summer.

dogwithabone

Body language experts could have written an entire book on his 60 minutes last night. The lack of fight, determination and desire when he lost possession was as alarming as I’ve ever seen from a top flight footballer. Technically he’s awful and if he’s now not prepared to do the hard yards in an effort to turn it around then he’s reached the point of no return.

Rashford has become as apathetic as Martial and you can’t carry two like that. No wonder we were completely over run, it felt like we were playing with nine men.

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
Won’t lie I’m loving seeing the penny finally drop for a lot of people today

kiristao

He started on the right wing today, that's on the manager.
People say this like he has been putting in stellar performances on the left and only turns sh*t on the right. He has been equally pathetic on the left. Running headlessly into players. Trying to do it all by himself. Not tracking back. Not working hard enough. On the right, it'd basically the same sh*t, different side.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Players are human beings. Some would go through a brick wall for their employer while others needs stimulus to do so (ex they are heading towards the end of contract or they fear of losing their job). To make matters worse these days players are surrounded by an army of people (professional and not) who are whispering in their ears.

That's why United need to properly revamp their football infrastructure. We need experienced football people who have the contacts and are a good judge of character to identify what makes players tick and to identify the players worth keeping/investing on. We also need a proper structure in place to keep players in line as well. Giggs once said that if he ever organized a clandestine party then he was 100% sure that the first to show up was SAF. These days we've got 300k+ a week players who spend their time on FIFA till early morning.

If SJR wants to make an impact then he should go on hard not only on the easy wins (ie selling old players or rebels) but also on influential players in the dressing room who can't be arsed producing the goods on a week in week out basis. SAF won respect when he shown the door to McGrath who was, at the time, the best CB we had. Rashford can be SJR's version of McGrath

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I’m not looking to pick a fight but I’m just wondering what the likes of @KM and @roonster09 think about this run of form he’s in, the complete lack of effort etc. I alluded to this majorly holding the team back in 2021. He’s worse now but even back then you could see his laziness and stroppy behaviour was costing us more than he was helping, of course its going to be rubbing off on the the rest of the team and bringing morale and overall effort down. I really want to like Rashford but I just can’t abide this total lack of effort or intensity.
Problem is people don't know how to rate player or performance. They think their latest performance/ form is their overall career performance.

When he is good i defend him, when he is shit, I'll call as it is.

He is pathetic this season, should have been dropped long back.

ElCuddlos

Apart from his lack of form on the pitch I'm starting to suspect he's an issue in the dressing room too.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
He'd probably do ok for a team like Palace or Fulham, with less pressure. Seems mentally spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.