The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keefy18

Only thing that matters is how much we are paying and how much money we are making, argument on individual player wages is silly considering no one knows exact number and what all should be achieved to get all the money.

Maybe this a mess, again the guy replacing Woodward should be cleaning up his mess.
He certainly should be but I'm not seeing too much evidence.

Looked like we might be turning a corner in recent days but its all slowed down again and Ronaldo has handed in a transfer request.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Lot of praise for Murtough on here, but I'll reserve judgement - we haven't sold anyone yet for actual money and we haven't bought anyone yet either, and most of our targets seem to be Ten Hag's rather than Murtough's as DOF

Vapor trail

Lot of praise for Murtough on here, but I'll reserve judgement - we haven't sold anyone yet for actual money and we haven't bought anyone yet either, and most of our targets seem to be Ten Hag's rather than Murtough's as DOF
It's the same story that follows Murtough's reputation all smoke but no substance. It's challenging because of the circumstances of last season that's understandable but as far as I'm concerned the club have done nothing to show any diligence within the market this season.

The team is weaker than last season due to departures around the bench and first team yet there's still no urgency in the way the club have gone about exploring the market. The nonsense around FDJ has meant other opportunities have been passed up. The club is behind both in terms of the senior level staff and player personnel.

Andy_Cole

Con man. We will see him and Arnold’s true colours in the next few years when we’re playing Championship football with Mctomminay club captain.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Seems to be going tits up tonight.
Barcelona not willing to sell De Jong.
Ronaldo wants out.
We sign 15m left back in a non priority role.

Keefy18

AND... He's hired a temporary consultant after firing the temp consultant HE feckin HIRED to help with transfers (were not doing thus far).

Stench of Woodward 2.0 so far.

Teja

AND... He's hired a temporary consultant after firing the temp consultant HE feckin HIRED to help with transfers (were not doing thus far).

Stench of Woodward 2.0 so far.
?

Murtough didn't hire judge and getting a contractor to help for a few months is pretty standard management practice.

Keefy18

?

Murtough didn't hire judge and getting a contractor to help for a few months is pretty standard management practice.
Ralf.

Ralf gets the managers job with the 2 year consultancy, fires him and hires Keane to assist with transfers.

Blood Mage

If Ronaldo goes and we can't get De Jong and Martinez over the line, it's about the worst possible start to his tenure. Not convinced at all that this guy should be in charge of recruitment, we seem to be as horribly disorganised as ever.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
If Ronaldo goes and we can't get De Jong and Martinez over the line, it's about the worst possible start to his tenure. Not convinced at all that this guy should be in charge of recruitment, we seem to be as horribly disorganised as ever.
….because Ronaldo said he wants to leave…..riiiiight. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Revaulx

….because Ronaldo said he wants to leave…..riiiiight. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well yes, but the Ronaldo stuff is hardly unexpected. Obviously not Murtough’s fault as the signing was 100% Woodward and had a high probability of ending in tears.

Hindsight is great etc, but maybe we should have targeted a striker from the off.

Keefy18

You do realize those two you mentioned have absolutely no relevancy to each other right?
Think you told me the other day but, you're wrong.

They are Murtough hires, period.

I couldn't give a fiddlers about the semantics of their roles, they are his hires. They were both tasked with rebuilding for a new era.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Think you told me the other day but, you're wrong.

They are Murtough hires, period.

I couldn't give a fiddlers about the semantics of their roles, they are his hires. They were both tasked with rebuilding for a new era.
....Keane has been in the role for literally a week. If that.

Plus his role is hardly anything to do with recruitment per say. He literally will be in charge of the legal side of contracts and stuff, if I am reading his role correctly.

Keefy18

....Keane has been in the role for literally a week. If that.

Plus his role is hardly anything to do with recruitment per say. He literally will be in charge of the legal side of contracts and stuff, if I am reading his role correctly.
I'm aware of that and not slating Keane. If Keane was as good as suggested and apparently nowt to do with RR then why wasn't he hired previously?

Instead we wait the best part of a month into the transfer window to sign up a guy to handle the legal side...

Are we therefore suggesting it was forgotten or not even known about we'd need a legal guy in for the deals?

Keefy18

I’ve never spoken to you. But Keanes role is to literally take care of the paperwork. He doesn’t get a say or probably even know who our transfer targets are. So I don’t get how he is supposed to be part of the rebuild.
Ralf on the other hand, he was supposed to be integral to transfers and targets, etc.
So are you suggesting it wasn't known then we needed this kind of hire? Or forgotten?

Why wait 3 weeks into the transfer window to hire someone?

Spin it whatever way you like, it doesn't look good.

phelans shorts

I'm aware of that and not slating Keane. If Keane was as good as suggested and apparently nowt to do with RR then why wasn't he hired previously?

Instead we wait the best part of a month into the transfer window to sign up a guy to handle the legal side...

Are we therefore suggesting it was forgotten or not even known about we'd need a legal guy in for the deals?
“Apparently nowt to do with RR”

Are you suggesting that Ralf Rangnick was going to be sorting out the legal specifics of major contracts?

Keefy18

“Apparently nowt to do with RR”

Are you suggesting that Ralf Rangnick was going to be sorting out the legal specifics of major contracts?
Nah, just his hires.

Just find it telling he's hiring and firing staff all over the place and our structure seems a mess. We should of had the pieces in place to do transfers going into the window, we clearly don't about 1 month into it. Probably explains why no deals are done still.

Tibs

So far, as far as transfers go, he's doing a completely shit job.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Things are looking no different at the moment. Him and Arnold needed to hit the ground at 1000mph in regards to transfers to show that there was a seismic shift in our approach and that the Woodward era was in the past.

I’m loving my life

So many excuses being made for him. He’s been here nearly 10 years, and yes it’s only recently he’s been de facto DoF but we have been woeful in the transfer market yet again, at a time when we really needed to turn things around. Definitely a Glazer puppet, nothing has changed. In fact things have got worse. Terrible job being done by both him and Arnold at the minute.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We just never learn. When you need someone and you are Man Utd then you go for the best. This promotion thing and jobs for the boys stuff is and always will be a mistake. What the hell he did since we hired ETH? Mind blowing stuff.

He threw everything on Eriksen, Lisandro and De Jong. If one of these transfers fail, i doubt that he has backup option.
Right winger, striker, right full back....we didn't even start with that. Selling the same.

And season starts in 30 days.....

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We just never learn. When you need someone and you are Man Utd then you go for the best. This promotion thing and jobs for the boys stuff is and always will be a mistake. What the hell he did since we hired ETH? Mind blowing stuff.
Ugh.

Matt851

The most surprising thing is how easily a lot of our fans get fooled into thinking things have changed

I’m loving my life

The most surprising thing is how easily a lot of our fans get fooled into thinking things have changed
To be fair, I think we have been trying to see positive points and be optimistic about a new start, but that has now waned. Unfortunately many of us suspected that behind the PR we were still being shafted and the disorganised, messy, cash cow that is Manchester United would remain unchanged.

phelans shorts

To be fair, I think we have been trying to see positive points and be optimistic about a new start, but that has now waned. Unfortunately many of us suspected that behind the PR we were still being shafted and the disorganised, messy, cash cow that is Manchester United would remain unchanged.
Just out of interest, how easy do you think it would be to organise from where the club were?

A weeks worth of work? A month? Six months?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Shiny new toy stuff. Everything new is great and shit like that.
A lot has changed for the good. That is quite obvious to see.

A subset of fans getting their panties in a twist becsuse we may make 2-3 signings in early July instead of end June doesnt change that.

Greck

Stop listening to twitter itks, they've been postdating prophecies for months now. Time comes and it's "yeah well, we can't expect proper accountability for another 6 months". Locked behind the fulfilment of yet another previously unmentioned event. 6 months ago that was supposed to be this summer, when Murtough had hired his deputy dof and had assumed full control.

In an ideal world a DoF should know world football well enough to eye 1 or 2 decent club signings to supplement the manager. They don't start learning recruitment the day they step into the job. This is what I'd like to see from now till the end of the summer. Right now the manager is as much the de facto head scout as they've ever been but I don't think recruitment is ETH's specialty, like at all. If he wasn't in charge of recruitment at Ajax then it's not surprising his knowledge is limited to players he knows or has played against. Help the man so he isn't carrying the entire summer.

Matt851

A subset of fans getting their panties in a twist becsuse we may make 2-3 signings in early July instead of end June doesnt change that.
What are these obvious positive changes? Do expand

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Again; we don't have situation like City or Liverpool where 95% of team is there and you need to do 2 or 3 ins and out transfers. In those terms you are not in a rush.
But we need to do around 10 transfers (ins and out included). This is most important and harder summer in decades. We needed quick start as soon as season ended. Now we are 30 days away from first game. We sold and bought zero players. Half of possible transfers are not even in the move (rw, rb, striker, Jones, AWB, Telles, Martial....). So it is either that Murtough was totally unprepared for this job or he is out of depth. I don't know what is worse.
Again we have a person on very important position who is learning his job. 4 billion company should never work like that.

Ed delivered also every summer but problem was the same. Everything was so slow and erratic. Ffs, our free transfer business where our only competition is Brentford is still not finished after one month. You really expect that this guy will manage to do 8-10 transfers this summer?

Last edited:

Tango80

Again; we don't have situation like City or Liverpool where 95% of team is there and you need to do 2 or 3 ins and out transfers. In those terms you are not in a rush.
But we need to do around 10 transfers. This is most important and harder summer in decades. We needed quick start as soon as season ended. Now we are 30 days away from first game. We sold and bought zero players. Half of possible transfers are not even in the move (rw, rb, striker, Jones, AWB, Telles, Martial....). So it is either that Murtough was totally unprepared for this job or he is out of depth. I don't know what is worse.
Again we have a person on very important position who is learning his job. 4 billion company should never work like that.

Ed delivered also every summer but problem was the same. Everything was so slow and erratic. Ffs, our free transfer business where our only competition is Brentford is still not finished after one month. You really expect that this guy will manage to do 8-10 transfers this summer?
I think you're wishing for unicorns and rainbows here.

No club will do that many transfers in a summer. None. Its completely naive to think a club actually would.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Looking quality so far isn't it.

15m on a back up left back, Ronaldo wants out, and no positive signs of the sort of signing that gives confidence we can have a good season.

Status
Not open for further replies.