The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
So far he is doing shitty job regarding planning and transfers but i do hope that he will do something with scouting section. When you look at the past (including SAF era); when did we buy a young gem (except Ronaldo)?
Chicharito was probably the last one. Came out of nowhere, nobody knew who he was at the time.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Promoting people on most important positions in club is United way.
If we don't buy striker and midfielder i expect that we will promote 2 scouts in first team. Because "they did amazing work on their previous job".

Murtough completely fecked up this window.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Remember when Arnold told the fans this guy was working 20 hours a day :lol:

Now this ’new back room team’ (all been at a failing United for about 10 years) are hiring SAF and Gil as advisor…also known as they’re fecking clueless and need help.

Season starts in a week. We have a young LB, a free transfer in Eriksen and Martinez what the freak have they been doing. If the FdJ deal doesn’t happen heads should roll.
Advisor to Arnold himself. Not Murtough.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Remember when Arnold told the fans this guy was working 20 hours a day :lol:

Now this ’new back room team’ (all been at a failing United for about 10 years) are hiring SAF and Gil as advisor…also known as they’re fecking clueless and need help.

Season starts in a week. We have a young LB, a free transfer in Eriksen and Martinez what the freak have they been doing. If the FdJ deal doesn’t happen heads should roll.
To be fair, I think they’ve been trying to reset transfers so that they don’t massively overpay, so it it’s taken some time to get players in. At the same time, the squad looks short and I think there were players who were/are gettable and would boost the squad. End of the day, I don’t think Murtough is right to be running transfers and he had a lot of time while hiring Ten Hag to get someone in place to do that for him.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Maybe letting go of a guy who has built two clubs from the ground up as DOF was a bad idea (based on his failings as a manager)? What’s Murtough done this window? Paid the 3rd highest fee ever Dutch league player, a defender at that?

TheReligion

Abusive
The problem is I suspect the people in key roles at the club will never make the club well run because they aren't up to the job.

Even with the caveats of them being relatively new in post this summer has still been a shit show. Its not lime murtough and Arnold were new to the club and they did still have several months in post in advance of the season.
And what do you base this suspicion on? An unfinished first transfer window?

Interesting

Vapor trail

It's been a fairly poor window in a phase which mostly defines a DOF success. If things are the same come the end of August, I'd anticipate Murtough to get exactly the same type of reception that Woodward did. As it stands from the Glazers right the way down to just above first team level none of the staff inspire confidence all the way through. Bad signs.

Castia

To be fair, I think they’ve been trying to reset transfers so that they don’t massively overpay, so it it’s taken some time to get players in. At the same time, the squad looks short and I think there were players who were/are gettable and would boost the squad. End of the day, I don’t think Murtough is right to be running transfers and he had a lot of time while hiring Ten Hag to get someone in place to do that for him.
Maybe but it took them 2 months to sign Martinez who then cost us around 55m. Not great imo.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Poor start, overpaid for Martinez and has not signed an attacker and the season starts next week

Barthez

Nothing short of a disaster. We are nowhere near top 4 on the recruitment to date

Roboc7

Not really a surprise that Woodward’s two right hand men have presided over a really poor window. Promoting from within after years of failure didn’t seem like a good idea at the time and so far it still doesn’t.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not really a surprise that Woodward’s two right hand men have presided over a really poor window. Promoting from within after years of failure didn’t seem like a good idea at the time and so far it still doesn’t.
Really poor window? We brought in a very good left back, attacking minded CM, a high potential CB integral to the managers system and will be likely to sign another CM.

Poor my fecking arse.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Really poor window? We brought in a very good left back, attacking minded CM, a high potential CB integral to the managers system and will be likely to sign another CM.

Poor my fecking arse.
We've done the bare minimum so far while all our rivals strengthened, and continued to neglect the glaring holes in our squad.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Poor my fecking arse.
Six senior first team squad members left, three players signed. Only one new signing plays the same position as any of the six who left. Seems like a poor window to me.

What other club with ambitions like ours would allow two strikers to leave in quick succession (Greenwood, Cavani) without replacing either of them? Is it going to take Ronaldo to leave as well before we finally get our thumb out our arse?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Poor my fecking arse.
We’ve lost Greenwood, Cavani and Lingard from an already mediocre attack with our leading goalscorer also asking to leave and replaced none of them. Zilch. We’ve lost Matic, Mata and Pogba from an already mediocre midfield and replaced one of them - Mata. How the feck anyone is deluded enough to think this window is going well is fecking batshit. It’s arguably the worst squad we’ve had in 3 seasons.

Roboc7

Poor my fecking arse.
We’ve signed three players and there is a good chance none of them will or even be expected to start half our league games, we haven’t strengthened any of our weakest positions and have hardly sold anyone.

Maybe they’ll rectify it to some extent but Murtough and Arnold were appointed to carry on Woodward’s work and they’re not disappointing so far.

E-mal

It's obvious the guy had no plans apart from what the manager had in mind.
He needed Arnold to babysit him on fruitless journey to Barcelona and also sign a defender from Ajax that we could have gotten earlier in the window for a cheaper fee.
This guy is not up to it, period!

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I was hopeful but it’s turned into a shit show. Anyone even remotely happy with this window is completely deluded.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Six senior first team squad members left, three players signed. Only one new signing plays the same position as any of the six who left. Seems like a poor window to me.

What other club with ambitions like ours would allow two strikers to leave in quick succession (Greenwood, Cavani) without replacing either of them? Is it going to take Ronaldo to leave as well before we finally get our thumb out our arse?
The squad was already well bloated. What did you expect 6 in 6 out? We will likely wrap up a minimum of 4 first team quality players.

The striker is pending but how on earth would / should we play out the window differently?

Martinez was close to Arsenal and Malacia close to Lyon so we had to move. FDJ delay is not down to us. Eriksen is just a free agent and Ronaldo blindsided us.

What should Murtough have done differently this far?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We’ve signed three players and there is a good chance none of them will or even be expected to start half our league games, we haven’t strengthened any of our weakest positions and have hardly sold anyone.

Maybe they’ll rectify it to some extent but Murtough and Arnold were appointed to carry on Woodward’s work and they’re not disappointing so far.
Eriksen and Martinez at a minimum won't start more than half our games? I disagree. I think Malacia will do better then we think too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The squad was already well bloated. What did you expect 6 in 6 out? We will likely wrap up a minimum of 4 first team quality players.

The striker is pending but how on earth would / should we play out the window differently?

Martinez was close to Arsenal and Malacia close to Lyon so we had to move. FDJ delay is not down to us. Eriksen is just a free agent and Ronaldo blindsided us.

What should Murtough have done differently this far?
Signed a fecking striker!

We’ve known we needed one since we wrote off Greenwood. Cavani and Ronaldo were always obvious short term stop gaps. We should have gone into this window with a clear shortlist and got the highest player on that list in a United shirt by now.

Other less critical but annoying missteps are failing to finalise Eriksen until it’s too late to integrate him for the season opener (on a free transfer… from Brentford!) and, obviously, the fact we’re going into this season with McFred as our best central midfield options.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We’ve lost Greenwood, Cavani and Lingard from an already mediocre attack with our leading goalscorer also asking to leave and replaced none of them. Zilch. We’ve lost Matic, Mata and Pogba from an already mediocre midfield and replaced one of them - Mata. How the feck anyone is deluded enough to think this window is going well is fecking batshit. It’s arguably the worst squad we’ve had in 3 seasons.
The window isn't over. Who would you have bought?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Signed a fecking striker!

We’ve known we needed one since we wrote off Greenwood. Cavani and Ronaldo were obvious stop gaps. We should have gone into this window with a clear shortlist and got the highest player on that list in a United shirt by now.

Other less critical but annoying missteps are failing to finalise Eriksen until it’s too late to integrate him for the season opener (on a free transfer… from Brentford!) and, obviously, the fact we’re going into this season with McFred as our best central midfield options.
Which one?

Eriksen Spent long time mulling over his offers. Not sure why that's a United problem.

I’m loving my life

He needs to be held accountable for the shitshow he has presided over this summer.

Why let an unqualified nobody who is at least partially responsible for 10 years of failure have control over the most important window in recent times.

Surprise surprise he has completely fecked it up, not meaningfully strengthened the squad and we still have McFred as our CM pairing

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Which one?

Eriksen Spent long time mulling over his offers. Not sure why that's a United problem.
I don’t fecking know which one. But I’m not being paid a massive salary to know the answer to that question.

Put it another way, Lukaku and Morata aside, what striker who was signed by another big club this summer wouldn’t improve us?!

fallengt

What does he do? Sign ETH's targets and Eriksen for free.
Why do we even need a football director if he has no input?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Maybe letting go of a guy who has built two clubs from the ground up as DOF was a bad idea (based on his failings as a manager)? What’s Murtough done this window? Paid the 3rd highest fee ever Dutch league player, a defender at that?
Nah, Ralf was a fraud. The Redcafe reds told me so.

Obviously, ignore the fact we're looking at Sesko now and Nkunku would have been an awesome signing as well as the fact City bought Alvarez who he wanted.

Roboc7

Eriksen and Martinez at a minimum won't start more than half our games? I disagree. I think Malacia will do better then we think too.
CB will be Maguire and one other, Malacia probably won’t start more than Shaw, Erikesen maybe would but depends how he’s used.

We’ve failed to strengthen our weakest positions, hardly sold anyone which makes it a poor window.

Cassidy

Which one?

Its a poor window so far, infact its a poor window fullstop given the season starts next week.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don’t fecking know which one. But I’m not being paid a massive salary to know the answer to that question.

Put it another way, Lukaku and Morata aside, what striker who was signed by another big club this summer wouldn’t improve us?!
Jonathan David, Joao Pedro, Olise, Gakpo, Sesko, Antony, Nkunku, SMS, Tielemans, Gusto, Walkers Peters, Raphinha, Richarlison, FDJ, Fabian Ruiz…pick any 3 combination get one free. And that’s just me - man on Internet who has no access to our massive scouting database.
We can all google strikers but importantly its who suit the ETH system too. Richarlson went for Antony money, I am unsure ifbhe would have been viable if our appetite for any player is not as high as 70m eur.

Nkunku was also not cheap, far from given his club arent poor and he signed a new deal quite early on. Raphina only had eyes on Barca, KWP is a full back, etc etc.

Murtough has basically had to cull massively internally and operate a window thats consistent with a long term philosophy which is far from easy. A forward is on the list as has been the case since the start of the window. But I find it truly bizarre that someone can say hes had a poor window when hes got a CB, a full back, a midfielder so far. With another midfielder pending in due course. Hes got most the targets they were set out to get and theres a month left of the window.

CB will be Maguire and one other, Malacia probably won’t start more than Shaw, Erikesen maybe would but depends how he’s used.

We’ve failed to strengthen our weakest positions, hardly sold anyone which makes it a poor window.
Malacia is going to be our starting CB most likely. I think him and Eriksen will play more than half the games. And Malacia it depends but ETHs faith in him today and vs Palace I think it was shows he is there to snatch the LB role at some point. FdJ seems a matter of time now but obviously he would be a starter too.
Its a poor window so far, infact its a poor window fullstop given the season starts next week.
The window isnt over, and its not ideal to not have a forward in now but Im not going to conclude the window as poor because of it.

Cassidy

We can all google strikers but importantly its who suit the ETH system too. Richarlson went for Antony money, I am unsure ifbhe would have been viable if our appetite for any player is not as high as 70m eur.

Nkunku was also not cheap, far from given his club arent poor and he signed a new deal quite early on. Raphina only had eyes on Barca, KWP is a full back, etc etc.

Murtough has basically had to cull massively internally and operate a window thats consistent with a long term philosophy which is far from easy. A forward is on the list as has been the case since the start of the window. But I find it truly bizarre that someone can say hes had a poor window when hes got a CB, a full back, a midfielder so far. With another midfielder pending in due course. Hes got most the targets they were set out to get and theres a month left of the window.

Malacia is going to be our starting CB most likely. I think him and Eriksen will play more than half the games. And Malacia it depends but ETHs faith in him today and vs Palace I think it was shows he is there to snatch the LB role at some point. FdJ seems a matter of time now but obviously he would be a starter too.

The window isnt over, and its not ideal to not have a forward in now but Im not going to conclude the window as poor because of it.
We need 2 forwards not signing 1 before the season starts is poor. I’ll not even get into the midfield…

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We need 2 forwards not signing 1 before the season starts is poor. I’ll not even get into the midfield…
I'm on your side here, I think we should be in advanced negotiations at least for one.

But I think the other areas we have strengthened are significant and for that reason I don't think Murtough has been poor. Without doubt I think we'll get 1-2 forwards, we just need to be more realistic in our expectations. We sacked off our head scouts and sacked off our head of negotiations, and it was necessary. Murtough cleaned house but there will be short term pain from it.

Cassidy

I'm on your side here, I think we should be in advanced negotiations at least for one.

But I think the other areas we have strengthened are significant and for that reason I don't think Murtough has been poor. Without doubt I think we'll get 1-2 forwards, we just need to be more realistic in our expectations. We sacked off our head scouts and sacked off our head of negotiations, and it was necessary. Murtough cleaned house but there will be short term pain from it.
I dont think we have strengthened the midfield from last season.

We have strengthened the defence but lets be honest we overpaid for Martinez even with all the talk about him apparently driving a hard bargain. I wont even talk about the final agreed fee for De Jong (which is what Barca originally wanted that we said we would not pay)

All round I’m not impressed but of course difficult summer and so I’m not calling for his head.

Still though all the talk and briefing before the summer. Hes coming out looking like not alot has been fixed.

Another start of the season where the manager has been compromised, but whats new this is United.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Having a shit hot striker and playmaker are essential for a club with any major aspirations.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Hard to ignore that the first transfer window after sacking our scouting and negotiations team has been characterised by unimaginative scouting and deeply unimpressive negotiations.

I don’t run a billion dollar business but even I am aware that you should only sack an employee in a business critical role when you have a better person lined up to take their place. How’s that working out for us?

Cassidy

Its ok we have Martial who scored a grand total of 3 goals in pre season… PL defenders shaking in their boots

Status
Not open for further replies.