The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

What would you do then carry on signing him despite the backlash about signing a racist? Can tell you’re old.
You do your due diligence and find out he's a racist before. He could have simply googled that on the can, not exactly deep investigation stuff. Are they even working with club scouts or consulting with their recruitment personnel? Oh sorry, nevermind.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
What would you do then carry on signing him despite the backlash about signing a racist? Can tell you’re old.

Murtough will be blamed for trying to sign him but for me the biggest question is how will Ten Hag react as this was clearly his idea to sign the guy in the first place?

He wanted him and to have the fans pretty much stop the deal. That's gotta be a slap in the face for him.

Sviken

He wanted him and to have the fans pretty much stop the deal. That's gotta be a slap in the face for him.
I mean, if Arnautovic was actually Ten Hag's choice, then we have bigger things to worry about. I have full trust in Ten Hag's management skills, but maybe we should get someone like Overmars for the recruiting bit.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I mean, if Arnautovic was actually Ten Hag's choice, then we have bigger things to worry about. I have full trust in Ten Hag's management skills, but maybe we should get someone like Overmars for the recruiting bit.
Overmars doing the recruitment so that you don’t buy racists sounds alright, then you remember he got fired for sending pics of his cock around the office.:lol:

E-mal

He is as useful as the cobweb in my basement. Guy has no idea about recruitment and squard building. This dude should not be a sport director, period!

lsd

The Oracle

Of course he was Ten Hag's choice. You think Murtough went after him on his whim?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
These people in charge are as clueless as ever. They'd have problems recruiting for a club on top, let alone one that needs a rebuild like us.

I personally think we're done as a top club. I have absolutely zero faith that the recruitment team can identify the sort of players who'd come good and even less faith in us getting rid of the underachievers in the squad. I don't even think the thought of getting rid of the likes of Shaw, McTominay, Fred, Maguire etc are even being entertained. Something about keeping the value of the club or some stupid business shit like that. We're done as a football club.

Ralf Rangnick was right, we needed up to 10 players. 6 at least. He was binned. Shows you what the people in charge think about a rebuild.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
These people in charge are as clueless as ever. They'd have problems recruiting for a club on top, let alone one that needs a rebuild like us.

I personally think we're done as a top club. I have absolutely zero faith that the recruitment team can identify the sort of players who'd come good and even less faith in us getting rid of the underachievers in the squad. I don't even think the thought of getting rid of the likes of Shaw, McTominay, Fred, Maguire etc are even being entertained. Something about keeping the value of the club or some stupid business shit like that. We're done as a football club.

Ralf Rangnick was right, we needed up to 10 players. 6 at least. He was binned. Shows you what the people in charge think about a rebuild.
Well put

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The Glazers could not give a flying feck on how the footballing side of the business is run. Why should they care that we've spent over a billion in transfers when they haven't paid a penny out of their own pocket? We haven't won the league in nearly a decade or CL in 14 years yet the money juggernaut keeps rolling on. They're still getting their dividends, taking out loans against the club etc etc and just to rub salt into the wounds, if they ever decide to sell up they'll be making billions in profits. To call them parasitic leeches would be a personal insult to leeches.
Becasuse dividends are based on profits, if the club is spending insane amounts of transfers and and struggling to produce a team that gets in the champions league, both these elements impact the amount of money they can take for themselves.

if your a leach you want to leach of something healthy.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Murtough will be blamed for trying to sign him but for me the biggest question is how will Ten Hag react as this was clearly his idea to sign the guy in the first place?

Does Murtough has a spine to say no?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The someone like Overmars should be Murtough. He's our Football Director. However, he doesn't seem to do any actual directing.

At other clubs the guy with his title decides the strategy, approach, recruitment. At ours it feels like he's just a dogsbody for the head coach. It's putting the cart before the horse.

Once again the questionable decision making of people at United is culminating in disaster. We have got Ed Woodward's bag carrier in a role he's not experienced for. While other clubs have heavyweights like Paratici and Campos running their football affairs.

Dr. StrangeHate

I still can't believe we weren't able to get Sesko. Losing to Leipzig because of development purposes is such a copout. He only had to compete with Martial. A midtable club where you play every week in the most competitive league in the world is the best place to develop.

padzilla

Hipster
Murtough and Arnold are doing a pretty impressive job of making Ed Woodward seem competent in terms of football-based decision making and that's saying something!

pascell

I still can't believe we weren't able to get Sesko. Losing to Leipzig because of development purposes is such a copout. He only had to compete with Martial. A midtable club where you play every week in the most competitive league in the world is the best place to develop.
Think the development side of the arguement was more of how unstable we are as a club. Because of ten Hag not being proven anywhere but the Eredivisie, that probably wouldn't have helped us if he's a signing the manager and not the transfer team have recommended.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
It's time for Murtough to go full Muppet mode by pulling some levers, if it means getting in ETH no.1 targets at whatever price necessary, so we can all focus on hoping ETH can mole the team to better highs.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It’s us. He’s probably afraid we’ll do a panic buy like we always do and end up stuck behind an ageing striker like when we signed Cavani/Ronaldo.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

I think we just got priced out by Bologna... I can see ETH accepting the fact we shouldn't be spending double figures on a 33 year old.

Think the stuff about "fan pressure" was a simple PR move...its such an easy make good... I would have done the same if I was in the club PR department.

Suv666

Utd is very toxic atm no young player wants to be associated with that toxicity

red thru&thru

I'm not sure Murtough can survive this window if it ends as we think it will end.

Bring back Ralf.

ti vu

Not exactly. Stability is the name of the game for development. Bundesliga, Leipzig and their regular CL appearance. Then the Red Bull franchise connection. This club just had an ugly time with a former Red Bull director, in Rangnick. With that context, putting myself in his shoe, Leipzig is much safer option for development while is currently not any worse in term of quality gametime.

padzilla

Hipster
It’s us. He’s probably afraid we’ll do a panic buy like we always do and end up stuck behind an ageing striker like when we signed Cavani/Ronaldo.
Agreed we would have dropped him or stuck him out on the wing to accommodate whichever big name striker in their mid to late 30s we sign next a la Zlatan, Cavani and Ronaldo.

Murtough and Arnold are doing a pretty impressive job of making Ed Woodward seem competent in terms of football-based decision making and that's saying something!
I've been thinking this. Just been too scared to say it.

For the first time I'm being forced to consider the possibility that Ed Woodward actually stopped us from being stupider over the past 10 years. Honestly, I don't like it! :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am sure you can find people in here who would write a 10 paragraph post on how awesome Murtough is. I found one who was particularly insistent on this matter. He is also well loved by Bayern fans in here as well. I guess they never forgave us for what happened in 26 May 1999

ti vu

I've been thinking this. Just been too scared to say it.

For the first time I'm being forced to consider the possibility that Ed Woodward actually stopped us from being stupider over the past 10 years. Honestly, I don't like it! :lol:
:nervous::nervous::lol::lol:

Now it's really concerning regarding Murtough. He has been here for a while (in lesser role). Even when he got promoted about a year ago or so to Football Director position, he was excused from WoodWard still ran the show. However, now he has both time and power and still doesn't look like we have a proper planning for our recruitment. He shouldn't have the excuses of new DoF at new club, requiring time to bed in so he can get to the root of the problem in the club.

The whole inquire SAF, David Gil recently for advices, raised a red flag for me. Hope I am wrong, but the signs don't look very good.

:nervous::nervous::lol::lol:

Now really concerned about Murtough. He has been here for a while (in lesser role). Even when he got promoted about a year ago or so to Football Director position, it's excuse that WoodWard still run the show. Now he has both time and power and still doesn't look like we have a proper planning for our recruitment. He shouldn't have the excuses of new DoF at new club, requiring time to bed in so he can get to the root of the problem in the club.

The whole inquire SAF, David Gil recently for advices, raised a red flag for me. Hope I am wrong, but the signs don't look very good.
Murtough was supposedly Woodward's 'fixer' for most of the last 10 years, which speaks for itself doesn't it? That experience should have immediately put question marks over his fitness to be our Football Director.

The fact we are currently running around at the end of the transfer window for players, like we have so many times in the past decade, shows that he and Ed were of one mind when it came to recruitment. What we're seeing now is nothing we haven't seen before.

If the club wanted real change, which I doubt, they should have gone for an experienced Football Director. Someone who could help Ten Hag like Overmars did at Ajax.

Murtough's appointment, as well as Arnold's attempts to distance himself for what's happening on 'the football side', just speaks to a culture of back covering. Murtough got the job cos he was Woodward's boy. He kept it so that Arnold would have a fall guy for any f-k ups. You have already started to see the briefing e.g., Rangnick's on him, Ten Hag is on him. If it all goes wrong (and lets face it Ten Hag has been asked to fix a roof with tools from Fisher Price not Black and Decker) the higher ups will just hide behind Murtough. He will be fired and another human shield, who couldn't hope to get a similar job at a similar sized club and is totally in their pocket, will be appointed.

Instead of looking for a best in class Sporting Director who can take the club forward, the hierarchy is more interested in appointing compliant people. People they can toss at unhappy supporters as sacrifices when the s-t hits the fan. I have no hope for the future. As I don't see much changing until United are open to hiring an experienced Football Director, who is given the power to make real change.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Murtough was supposedly Woodward's 'fixer' for most of the last 10 years, which speaks for itself doesn't it? That experience should have immediately put question marks over his fitness to be our Football Director.

The fact we are currently running around at the end of the transfer window for players, like we have so many times in the past decade, shows that he and Ed were of one mind when it came to recruitment. What we're seeing now is nothing we haven't seen before.

If the club wanted real change, which I doubt, they should have gone for an experienced Football Director. Someone who could help Ten Hag like Overmars did at Ajax.

Murtough's appointment, as well as Arnold's attempts to distance himself for what's happening on 'the football side', just speaks to a culture of back covering. Murtough got the job cos he was Woodward's boy. He kept it so that Arnold would have a fall guy for any f-k ups. You have already started to see the briefing e.g., Rangnick's on him, Ten Hag is on him. If it all goes wrong (and lets face it Ten Hag has been asked to fix a roof with tools from Fisher Price not Black and Decker) the higher ups will just hide behind Murtough. He will be fired and another human shield, who couldn't hope to get a similar job at a similar sized club and is totally in their pocket, will be appointed.

Instead of looking for a best in class Sporting Director who can take the club forward, the hierarchy is more interested in appointing compliant people. People they can toss at unhappy supporters as sacrifices when the s-t hits the fan. I have no hope for the future. As I don't see much changing until United are open to hiring an experienced Football Director, who is given the power to make real change.
I agree with all of this except the Murtough will be fired point, I'm not sure he will be at least not until after next summer.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The fact our transfer policy and the people who operate it are now a punch line for a betting company, shows what a shambles we are under Murtough.
Harry Maguire is a meme for just about everybody outside of United but still most fans have him in their starting XI. I wouldn't worry about it.

OmarUnited4ever

I think it was problematic when Ten Hag was only confirmed in late April, and took over in June, little time to plan for anything, not excusing it, but I understand that the fact that Ten Hag came into the equation late and it meant that moves for players in the summer window will also be made late as well.

And I understand that it will take few summer windows to fix this squad, but for me, this summer, the most urgent priority was/is Midfield, it needed an urgent overhaul, and at least 3 new players to be signed, and I get Ten Hag wants De Jong so bad, but I do not accept Ten Hag & Murtough not considering other DMs/CMs, in addition to De Jong and Eriksen, and even though I think both Martinez & Malacia have the potential to be a great players for us, I felt they were not an urgent priority signings for a total of 55M/60M in transfer fees, because I believe Dalot, AWB, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof, Shaw & Telles as a defense unit, are at least serviceable for one transitional season despite their weaknesses, whilst a midfield options of McFred+Bruno+Eriksen+young players will never work no matter who we have in defense.

I am disappointed with how the club hierarchy (Murtough as the DoF in particular) performed in this summer window so far, the team clearly needs new midfielders, and at least a DM should have been signed by now alongside Eriksen, I do not mind chasing De Jong all summer because I believe he is a special player, but at least get in another DM so we do not have to start McFred in a PL game.

ti vu

I think it was problematic when Ten Hag was only confirmed in late April, and took over in June, little time to plan for anything, not excusing it, but I understand that the fact that Ten Hag came into the equation late and it meant that moves for players in the summer window will also be made late as well.

And I understand that it will take few summer windows to fix this squad, but for me, this summer, the most urgent priority was/is Midfield, it needed an urgent overhaul, and at least 3 new players to be signed, and I get Ten Hag wants De Jong so bad, but I do not accept Ten Hag & Murtough not considering other DMs/CMs, in addition to De Jong and Eriksen, and even though I think both Martinez & Malacia have the potential to be a great players for us, I felt they were not an urgent priority signings for a total of 55M/60M in transfer fees, because I believe Dalot, AWB, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof, Shaw & Telles as a defense unit, are at least serviceable for one transitional season despite their weaknesses, whilst a midfield options of McFred+Bruno+Eriksen+young players will never work no matter who we have in defense.

I am disappointed with how the club hierarchy (Murtough as the DoF in particular) performed in this summer window so far, the team clearly needs new midfielders, and at least a DM should have been signed by now alongside Eriksen, I do not mind chasing De Jong all summer because I believe he is a special player, but at least get in another DM so we do not have to start McFred in a PL game.
That should not be how it works for a DoF. Yes, you don't force signing on manager, but you should line up the signings and have them ready for final approval by the manager. The DoF should have a vision for how the team look too. It's not just all on manager. Manager in place or not, a competent manager could have his own assessment of the squad, and lay the ground work.

This now looks like Murtough has been passive all along, without ideas of his own.

Skills

Snitch
He seems weak. He shouldn't have sanctioned the 60m on Martinez when there were other more important needs.

In fact, this was the summer that he should've just gone and addressed the weakest areas of the squad without Ten Hag's input. As the guy who hired him, he should know exactly the profile of players we need to be signing for the football we want to play under Ten Hag.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He seems weak. He shouldn't have sanctioned the 60m on Martinez when there were other more important needs.

In fact, this was the summer that he should've just gone and addressed the weakest areas of the squad without Ten Hag's input. As the guy who hired him, he should know exactly the profile of players we need to be signing for the football we want to play under Ten Hag.
I sometimes get the feeling the two of them n=have never met each other! It's like one of those films with a long list of writers and you leave the cinema wondering if they ever talked to each other about what each of them was writing separately...

Status
Not open for further replies.