The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They were quick to drop Pogba at the drop of a hat and not all club captains are automatic starters so that's just bullshit and once again just examples of the excuses that Maguire gets thrown in his defence all the time. City and Chelsea dropped £100m on players and benched them because that's how big clubs move.
Here is your answer

izec

Just fire this rookie already. He'd do badly in FM as well, that is how bad he is. A laughing stock this summer so far, makes Woody look competent. When you thought it could not get any worse, he proves you wrong. Him and Arnold should play the dumb and dumber roles, they wouldn't even need to act.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The Glazers have been taking out £20m for the last 5 years and this year they "only" are taking out the bulk of £11m due to us not reaching the CL. £11m for a disastrous season isn't too shabby when they're not spending fortunes on signings or at least revampling OT. Man Utd as a commercial brand is enormous which will keep rolling in money for the foreseeable future no matter how we are doing on the pitch.

We're still £500m in debt which is said to be rising to £700m when more loans are needed to revamp OT and I bet you a pound to the penny the Glazers will still be taking out their millions no matter where we finish in the league. We aren't healthy but the millions are still lining their pockets.
I’m not arguing that the Glazers are these benevolent hard done by owners, but they have bought United to make money off it, if they are making less and the people running the club are throwing 100’s of millions eating into there profits they are hardly going to be happy.

they obviously want United to be vaguely successful or they wouldn’t have let us be the team with highest net spend in the premier league since Fergie left

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Nah. If we're going to press the hard reset, the new sporting director should be allowed to choose the head coach he wants to work with. And if that's not ETH, well that's just tough.
While ideally you're right, we're living in a less then ideal world. Rangnick is an experienced DOF and whose football philosophy is very close to that of ETH's. He also understand the problems the Dutch man is facing having been our manager himself. In Mitchell we'll find a top head of recruitment who had worked under Rangnick, who knows the EPL inside out and who also happens to know us very well since he's a Manchester lad. I think its the best setup we can have

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
He's in for a right shit time if De Jong goes to Chelsea. Probably should be increasing the security at his home, sadly.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
They were quick to drop Pogba at the drop of a hat and not all club captains are automatic starters so that's just bullshit and once again just examples of the excuses that Maguire gets thrown in his defence all the time. City and Chelsea dropped £100m on players and benched them because that's how big clubs move.
I don't think Maguire should be a United player never mind captain but with ETH just walking in the door what is he supposed to do? If we had just one natural leader then things might be different but we don't which shows the massive job ETH has on his hands from the get go. Maybe he has orders that the worlds most expensive CB has to play and if that's the case we really are fecked.

Anyway. I think it's too soon to tell with Varane working his way back to fitness. Once he's fully fit then we can judge the management if Maguire continues to get game time over him. No point throwing toys out of the pram this early in the season when we have much more problems in other areas to contend with.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I don't think Maguire should be a United player never mind captain but with ETH just walking in the door what is he supposed to do? If we had just one natural leader then things might be different but we don't which shows the massive job ETH has on his hands from the get go. Maybe he has orders that the worlds most expensive CB has to play and if that's the case we really are fecked.

Anyway. I think it's too soon to tell with Varane working his way back to fitness. Once he's fully fit then we can judge the management if Maguire continues to get game time over him. No point throwing toys out of the pram this early in the season when we have much more problems in other areas to contend with.
Completely agree.

Bruno8

Looks like these guys work under difficult circumstances because the Glazers are said to be very slow in approving deals even when everything has been agreed thereby causing unnecessary delays

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I’m not arguing that the Glazers are these benevolent hard done by owners, but they have bought United to make money off it, if they are making less and the people running the club are throwing 100’s of millions eating into there profits they are hardly going to be happy.

they obviously want United to be vaguely successful or they wouldn’t have let us be the team with highest net spend in the premier league since Fergie left
It's not their money they're spending. If they were anyway serious about getting us back to the top then instead of taking money out of the club they'd be putting their own money in. I guarantee you if their own money was going down the drain then things would be very different but as its not costing them a penny buying players and commercial revenue is still flooding in they couldn't give 2 fecks how successful we are as long as they're earning their multi millions each year.
When I say it's not their own money I'm being a little deceitful because of course it is but there's a massive difference spending the money generated by the club and not just not dipping into their personal funds but are extending them by multi millions each year.

It's been obvious for a long time that having inexperienced personal in all the key areas has been our downfall. So what do the Glazers do after getting rid of them? They go and employ more inexperienced personale that hang on to their coat tails because the system works for them instead of imploying proper footballing people who may have the nerve to call them out.

Once the revenue starts to dry up which it will the longer the circus goes on then they'll just sell up and earn themselves a nice few billion from the sale which is absolutely sickening.

DeGea’sFeet

He's in for a right shit time if De Jong goes to Chelsea. Probably should be increasing the security at his home, sadly.
De Jong is on ETH. As newbies imagine the outrage if Murtough or Arnold pulled the plug on De Jong last month. Really if we’re going to be a club that backs the manager with signing his players, then the manager needs to take the responsibility and to know when to tell the board “ok, this has gone on too long let’s look at alternatives”.

But other than that both Murtough and Arnold are abysmal and that’s become obvious but not with De Jong.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
It's not their money they're spending. If they were anyway serious about getting us back to the top then instead of taking money out of the club they'd be putting their own money in. I guarantee you if their own money was going down the drain then things would be very different but as its not costing them a penny buying players and commercial revenue is still flooding in they couldn't give 2 fecks how successful we are as long as they're earning their multi millions each year.
When I say it's not their own money I'm being a little deceitful because of course it is but there's a massive difference spending the money generated by the club and not just not dipping into their personal funds but are extending them by multi millions each year.

It's been obvious for a long time that having inexperienced personal in all the key areas has been our downfall. So what do the Glazers do after getting rid of them? They go and employ more inexperienced personale that hang on to their coat tails because the system works for them instead of imploying proper footballing people who may have the nerve to call them out.

Once the revenue starts to dry up which it will the longer the circus goes on then they'll just sell up and earn themselves a nice few billion from the sale which is absolutely sickening.
If the club is performing badly it affects the amount of money they can take from the club. Of course they care about that. Greedy people always want more.

Personly I think a big issue is there dad built the business empire and they arn’t as business savvy as he was, so people like Woodward, and now Murtough and Arnold can take them for ride.

But of course they care that the club is successful, they haven’t done what Ashley did at Newcastle and run the club on a show string budget spending the bare minimum, they have allowed Woodward and now Murtough and Arnold. ( and Ten Hag) to spend huge. Why cos they want the club to be a champions league club becuase they can milk us for more money that way. The problem they don’t know anything about football and that’s reflected in the people they have choose to run the club.

lsd

The Oracle

You are probably right but i wonder what exactly he is supposed to do with De Jong especially as he agreed a deal with Barcelona

I’m loving my life

De Jong is on ETH. As newbies imagine the outrage if Murtough or Arnold pulled the plug on De Jong last month. Really if we’re going to be a club that backs the manager with signing his players, then the manager needs to take the responsibility and to know when to tell the board “ok, this has gone on too long let’s look at alternatives”.

But other than that both Murtough and Arnold are abysmal and that’s become obvious but not with De Jong.
Murtough (and Dickie Arnold) is in charge of ETH. Any DoF with an IQ over 5 would act responsibly and show authority-either take over and seal the sea or pull the plug weeks ago and move onto other targets. That is the minimum these chumps should be doing-looking after the health of the football team (which 99.99999% of supposedly novice fans can see is the best course of action). Instead Dumb and Dumber have led it to ETH. With because they are grossly incompetent or because it suits them as individuals/the Parasites

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

It is not on ETH. Eth can demand a player and say what he wants but it is on Dof to make final decision.

BlahRules

It is not on ETH. Eth can demand a player and say what he wants but it is on Dof to make final decision.
It's all three fault. Klopp wanted Gotze but Gotze didn't want Liverpool so they went and got Mane. ETH will be stubborn but these idiots should be able to get a similar player instead but just sat there fiddling their thumbs.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
If the club is performing badly it affects the amount of money they can take from the club. Of course they care about that. Greedy people always want more.

Personly I think a big issue is there dad built the business empire and they arn’t as business savvy as he was, so people like Woodward, and now Murtough and Arnold can take them for ride.

But of course they care that the club is successful, they haven’t done what Ashley did at Newcastle and run the club on a show string budget spending the bare minimum, they have allowed Woodward and now Murtough and Arnold. ( and Ten Hag) to spend huge. Why cos they want the club to be a champions league club becuase they can milk us for more money that way. The problem they don’t know anything about football and that’s reflected in the people they have choose to run the club.
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I may be way off the mark but my own personal opinion is whilst theyre still earning multi millions they're as happy as pigs in shit. This year they "only" earned 11 million from the club instead of the 20m the last seasons but for them to make up that deficit they're going to have to spend upwards of 200m plus the other 200m it's going to cost to revamp OT even though they're going to take out yet another loan to cover that debt.

For me the factor is in the internal promociones when there are by far better candidates out there. Even if the Glazers are as thick as champ they're still surrounded by very intelligent people who for sure have brought their ideas forward such as selecting people on experience and not because they'll toe the party line which has been shot down by the appointments made. The Glazers don't give a dam about the footballing side as long as they're receiving their dividends and have people in all the key positions willing to take the flack when the shit inevitably hits the fan. And even then those people will probably receive another promotion for being good old boys. Ole was the perfect example until it became impossible to keep him on. Hopefully the Glazers are gone in the next few years because it wouldn't surprise me if Ole is brought back and then works himself up to the DOF position for services rendered. And yes. It is a tongue in cheek comment.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's all three fault. Klopp wanted Gotze but Gotze didn't want Liverpool so they went and got Mane. ETH will be stubborn but these idiots should be able to get a similar player instead but just sat there fiddling their thumbs.
Klopp wanted someone (can't remember who), board refused him and gave him Salah.
That is how things should be done. Not letting manager to call all shots

Witchking

His tenure hinges on FDJ. Is he comes to United, he has started off decently. If not, he will be scrutinized and will be under pressure till he quits.

DeGea’sFeet

Be honest. If the club pulled the plug on De Jong, depriving ETH of who is clearly he’s ideal/dream target. Would the fan base have said “good decision”, bearing in mind the competent time to pull the plug would have been last month at the absolute latest, but ideally it should have been late June.

Now there is probably also is an element of Murtough /Arnold being happy to let ETH ‘dig his own grave’ no doubt if things turn sour we’ll start to hear leaks about “United wanted to back the manager, had doubts about de Jong, but pushed through because of ETH”

DeGea’sFeet

Answer. If the club pulled the plug end of June, would you have supported it? Do you think the majority of the fan base would have supported it?

Don’t get me wrong. While chasing De Jong could still have signed a winger and striker and that’s on the board.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Answer. If the club pulled the plug end of June, would you have supported it? Do you think the majority of the fan base would have supported it?

Don’t get me wrong. While chasing De Jong could still have signed a winger and striker and that’s on the board.
I am just a fan. It is not about me being happy or not or knowing what is best to do; our Dof is payed big money to make RIGHT calls. We are bloody Man Utd not Stockport or whoever. Our people in charge must be able to make right calls. In De Jong case, i expect that DoF will do research before going for a player and i expect that he will know when to push for a deal and when to quit.

As i said many times; backing a manager is not chasing players who he wants by name. Backing is to buy him what he needs and for that you need a plan. Plan which includes DoF, scouts and manager working together. This is pathetic and shambolic how Murtough is doing things. On all levels.

And by the way; one month ago i posted a video from Mad Max with "Walk away. Just walk away" :D

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:
Woodward got away with this hamfistedness for years. It was the Super League and being the fall guy that put paid to him.

This guy will offer up a raft of excuses during one of his fans' forums, but he needs to learn from it. For our sakes.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Woodward got away with this hamfistedness for years. It was the Super League and being the fall guy that put paid to him.

This guy will offer up a raft of excuses during one of his fans' forums, but he needs to learn from it. For our sakes.
That is the main issue. On one of the key positions in club we have a man who "needs to learn" how to do his job.
We are multi billion worth company. On key positions we must have proven and "world class" people who know every move and trick about that job. Not novice ffs

Loon

:lol:
That is the main issue. On one of the key positions in club we have a man who "needs to learn" how to do his job.
We are multi billion worth company. On key positions we must have proven and "world class" people who know every move and trick about that job. Not novice ffs
Yup, the thing I don't get about this guy is the club was supposed to be getting experienced football people in and rectifying the mistakes of the Woodward regime, but it doesn't look like he's doing that at all. Had he done so, he'd be getting all the plaudits (deserved or not), rather than the flack.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Nah. If we're going to press the hard reset, the new sporting director should be allowed to choose the head coach he wants to work with. And if that's not ETH, well that's just tough.
You don't seem sold on ETH, to say the least. Out of interest who was your choice for next manager in the thread where we discussed it and voted? I said I'd be happy with Potter, ETH and Poch, but came across entirely Poch because I spent so much time arguing that he wasn't as bad as people made out and that ETH wasn't Guardiola/Klopp.

I don't understand Glazers. I know that they don't care for club but they care for the money. Giving the fact that they have billions i am sure that they know thing or two about business. So why the feck they don't hire right and proven people on most important positions inside the club? Surely, surely they realised that what happens on the pitch is related to how much club will worth and how much money will get them.

First they gave Ed to do everything around first team, then they hired Ole and now they hired complete novice to be in charge for first team. Are they stupid?
I think the answer is simple.

If you ask yourself, why did they replace Woodward with his sidekick and not look for best in class? Why did they promote the likes of Fletcher and Murtough?

The answer: Continuity.

Ie they were happy with things and wanted more of the same, not to push us to bigger and better things. They didn't want somebody that would 100% rock the boat and point out glaring holes in the squad and demand money, such as Rangnick.

Skills

Snitch
You don't seem sold on ETH, to say the least. Out of interest who was your choice for next manager in the thread where we discussed it and voted? I said I'd be happy with Potter, ETH and Poch, but came across entirely Poch because I spent so much time arguing that he wasn't as bad as people made out and that ETH wasn't Guardiola/Klopp.
ETH was my first choice - I still think we hired the best head coach available this summer.

I have quite a cynical view of the role though. I don't think they're any different to players - he's just a part of the puzzle. I think the way your club should be set up is that your manager is quite easily disposable. The bigger pictures has to come from elsewhere, and your manager and players are just there to help deliver at any given time.

I'm still hopeful that he'll be successful, but i'm also desperately hoping we're not just handing him the keys to the entire place. Because there's a chance that in 2-3 years time we'll be back at the same place again.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Regarding Murtough, I've not forgot a few details that were given in relation to him.

The fact he felt he could learn from Rangnick and he suggested bringing him in for that reason. He apparently got rid after Rangnick then criticised everything he was actually responsible for.

Those saying he is learning on the job are correct. The club have inadvertently confirmed this through those briefs when we hired Rangnick.

Not to mention the shite about him wanting to change the way we are perceived as pushovers in the market, only for all of this bollocks to unfold. The guy is failing, hard.

I had suspicions some bullshit unfolded when Nicky Butt quit and he and Neville were posting photos of themselves smirking with a glass of wine when Woodward quit. Butt was seemingly overlooked after doing a good job with our youth team, in favour of Murtough. Reading between the lines a bit, it felt like he was cast aside for Woodward's pet Murtough.

All in all, a club of our stature should have the very best heading up football operations. They probably wonder why we fail so much after spending so much and having the highest paid squad, yet this is the one thing we have never implemented, best in class people running the football side of things. It's just too obvious.

I can see the ETH reign going tits up if this isn't sorted immediately. And if ETH fails and things remain the same in terms of Murtough etc, then we are done. Honestly, there will be no coming back for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.