The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkypete

Isn't it amazing how folks convinced themselves that RR going was ETH decision cause it'd undermine ETH.

This was / is just the board shitting the bed due to his public statements at how bad the club is ran.

Murtough is an utter clown and yes man and now needs a different consultant to do the transfer work...signed up 3 days prior to pre season starting.

Anyone expecting a top half of the table finish is deluded. Things are gonna get a feck tonne worse this season!
Rangnicks "consultancy" wasn't this consultancy position though was it let's be real.

The reported role for Rangnick was reconnecting with European clubs post Brexit.

Matt Judges role needs someone with legal background to work on contracts, which is why we are looking at Tom Keane for his legal background and experience in contract negotiations.

Edwards, Mitchell, Campos etc wouldn't fulfil this role either, suggesting that this was Rangnicks role is a nonsense argument, we hire consultants for various roles.

We use Legends international for the stadium as an example. The company that have been interviewing staff and looking for best in class for staff recruitment that was reported in the media recently are also a consultancy.

I feel like rangnicks public position as consultant has created this illusionary role that really doesn't exist but the fans have built up as the one thing united need.

Keefy18

Rangnicks "consultancy" wasn't this consultancy position though was it let's be real.

The reported role for Rangnick was reconnecting with European clubs post Brexit.

Matt Judges role needs someone with legal background to work on contracts, which is why we are looking at Tom Keane for his legal background and experience in contract negotiations.

Edwards, Mitchell, Campos etc wouldn't fulfil this role either, suggesting that this was Rangnicks role is a nonsense argument, we hire consultants for various roles.

We use Legends international for the stadium as an example. The company that have been interviewing staff and looking for best in class for staff recruitment that was reported in the media recently are also a consultancy.

I feel like rangnicks public position as consultant has created this illusionary role that really doesn't exist but the fans have built up as the one thing united need.
Regardless of what exact role Keane will fill it tells us that the board / structure is simply not there. It's an absolute mess and complete embarrassment!

We've dumped one consultant and hired another, one with even less experience.

Folks are buying into this BS narrative an spin about a rebuild, we can't even decide who does what on transfers and what each persons job is. Fletchers job was changed again this week it seems looking around at the different reports. It'd be funny if it weren't so feckin tragic.

Mark my words, Murtough era will some how find away to surpass all other shit shows before it.

Seij

Why are we looking to hire Tom Keane end of June when Judge left in late April and our board probably knew in advance that he's leaving shortly after Woodward?

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why are we looking to hire Tom Keane in end of June when Judge left in late April and our board probably knew in advance that he's leaving shortly after Woodward?
Judge didn't leave, he gave his notice in late April.

I’m loving my life

At the moment, he is actually performing worse than Woodward, given our transfer activity. That’s some feat.

copen1945

At least, he has admitted that he needs help and brought in an outsider.

Foxbatt

He started well but has gone back to form at United and has no clue. This is why we needed someone who has done this at a big club. It's the same old story when SAF retired with Gill. Not that I am unhappy that Woody has gone but Arnold has gone 360 by letting a rookie ( at this level) run the footballing side of things.

fallengt

Remind me of Woodward's first season.
He's wasting everyone time and will likely overpay for FDJ anyway.

bucky

Remind me of Woodward's first season.
He's wasting everyone time and will likely overpay for FDJ anyway.
There's a significant difference between Fellaini and de Jong. Even if we overpaid for him, it would be worth it. If you had told me before the summer, that we could pull this off, I wouldn't have believed you.

Matst1

Regardless of what exact role Keane will fill it tells us that the board / structure is simply not there. It's an absolute mess and complete embarrassment!

We've dumped one consultant and hired another, one with even less experience.

Folks are buying into this BS narrative an spin about a rebuild, we can't even decide who does what on transfers and what each persons job is. Fletchers job was changed again this week it seems looking around at the different reports. It'd be funny if it weren't so feckin tragic.

Mark my words, Murtough era will some how find away to surpass all other shit shows before it.
So many clueless people on here spouting absolute nonsense

Keefy18

So many clueless people on here spouting absolute nonsense
What exactly has been rebuilt thus far?

Some players contracts expired, that's it along with a Henderson loan.

6 weeks negotiating a single transfer for a player that isn't even wanted by his club. So inept he couldn't get the deal done himself, he hired a temp to assist.

Teja

6 weeks negotiating a single transfer for a player that isn't even wanted by his club. So inept he couldn't get the deal done himself, he hired a temp to assist.
That is just some next level spin.

6 weeks for one of the best midfielders in the game is about what it takes. By that logic RM chased Mbappe for two years and still failed to land him, makes Perez worse than Murtough.

There's no point discussing Murtough right now, if he does his job well, we'll be competitive in two years. If we fire Ten Hag in a couple of years, get a new guy and then chase yet another rebuild, then I'd say Murtough is a failure.

Keefy18

6 weeks for one of the best midfielders in the game is about what it takes. By that logic RM chased Mbappe for two years and still failed to land him, makes Perez worse than Murtough.

There's no point discussing Murtough right now, if he does his job well, we'll be competitive in two years. If we fire Ten Hag in a couple of years, get a new guy and then chase yet another rebuild, then I'd say Murtough is a failure.
How is it spin?

What have I said that is untrue?

It's been approx 6 weeks, hasn't it? Barca can't keep him due to financial constraints, that's true. We've hired a new consultant to assist with transfers.

What exactly have we done the last 6 weeks then?

ETH starts working directly with the players today and we've done nothing but lost players.

Rumors already coming out that ETH is "surprised" at how slow we move on transfers.

Yes, all spin.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Is FDJ one of the best midfielders in the game? Reckon all the bigger clubs would be after him if that were the case.

He's a great player, but he's being pushed out at Barca because they think their current youngsters can do just as well as him right now and even better in the future - his career has stalled at Barca.

It'd be like saying Dembele is one of the best wingers I'm the world.

Salford_Red83

How is it spin?

What have I said that is untrue?

It's been approx 6 weeks, hasn't it? Barca can't keep him due to financial constraints, that's true. We've hired a new consultant to assist with transfers.

What exactly have we done the last 6 weeks then?

ETH starts working directly with the players today and we've done nothing but lost players.

Rumors already coming out that ETH is "surprised" at how slow we move on transfers.

Yes, all spin.
I swear to God some people think bringing a new player in is as easy as slapping some money down and demanding the selling club take it.

Specifically for FDJ you have to remember and take in to account:
- He doesn't want to leave
- Is in the middle of his contract
- Is playing at his dream club
- Has to be convinced to play for a team in the Europa league
- Has to probably have conversations with his family about moving to another country
- and more than likely a bunch of other things that we're just not privy to

And thats just one player.

Coupled with us bringing in an entirely new backroom staff and new negotiating team it really baffles my tiny little mind how some people think stuff like this easily done.

Keefy18

Is FDJ one of the best midfielders in the game? Reckon all the bigger clubs would be after him if that were the case.

He's a great player, but he's being pushed out at Barca because they think their current youngsters can do just as well as him right now and even better in the future - his career has stalled at Barca.

Exactly, 80m for a CM no other club wants or would consider matching his wages for.

Can't say I'm particularly excited about this transfer in the slightest as his wages mean we are stuck with him regardless of how he performs for what is likely 5 years.

RkkMan

Were Kovacic, Robben, Sneijder, Ozil, Pedro, Hakimi, Fabregas, Alexis amongst others then questionable signings because they were pushed out of Barca/Madrid due to them having better players?

Gurtej

Exactly, 80m for a CM no other club wants or would consider matching his wages for.

Can't say I'm particularly excited about this transfer in the slightest as his wages mean we are stuck with him regardless of how he performs for what is likely 5 years.
In terms of where we are today, I think we are one of the luckiest clubs to get hold of a player of FDJ caliber...

Its 68m pounds as per the reports in total...of which 55m is upfront and rest we don't know whats its based on.....

When you have someone like Phillips going for a total of 52m, I genuinely think we negotiated very very well..!

We should be more concerned about losing him if we can't make top 4 over next couple of seasons, not concerned about getting stuck with him....

I still think Eriksen is key player we have to get, irrespective on what some posters say here....

For ETH to have any chance to finishing top 4, we need to get at least 2-3 more players on top of FDJ and Eriksen...With 1) Antony 2) A ball playing defender and ideally 3) A solid DM...

Given how wasteful Bruno has been, I wouldn't mind getting him out of starting 11 unless he sort his shit out...

We should go with ... Midfield of 3 with FDJ, Eriksen (as a sort of number 10 behind front 3)...and a solid DM to cover...

3 upfront of Ronaldo, Sancho and Antony....

Reactions: golden_blunder

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It should be remembered that he didn’t fail at Barca. He maybe didn’t show his whole range because Barca used him in a different way. Look at him playing for Holland rather than Barca; usually he’s the standout player. No better man to play him and get the best from him than ETH

Keefy18

In terms of where we are today, I think we are one of the luckiest clubs to get hold of a player of FDJ caliber...

Its 68m pounds as per the reports in total...of which 55m is upfront and rest we don't know whats its based on.....

When you have someone like Phillips going for a total of 52m, I genuinely think we negotiated very very well..!

We should be more concerned about losing him if we can't make top 4 over next couple of seasons, not concerned about getting stuck with him....

I still think Eriksen is key player we have to get, irrespective on what some posters say here....

For ETH to have any chance to finishing top 4, we need to get at least 2-3 more players on top of FDJ and Eriksen...With 1) Antony 2) A ball playing defender and ideally 3) A solid DM...

Given how wasteful Bruno has been, I wouldn't mind getting him out of starting 11 unless he sort his shit out...

We should go with ... Midfield of 3 with FDJ, Eriksen (as a sort of number 10 behind front 3)...and a solid DM to cover...

3 upfront of Ronaldo, Sancho and Antony....
The fee isn't the problem, its the wages. Moneyball ;)

If the rumors are true he's on approx 400k per week. That's 21m approx and means if he doesn't settle / perform in the premier league we are stuck with and paying 21m to a player who can't adjust to the demands of the league for 5 years.

Every transfer is a risk and the wages with this transfer make it all the more risky.

Absolutely agree with the rest of your sentiments though about player recruitment, I think ETH will struggle if he's left with the same old faces. If Maguire doesn't perform for example and his other options are still Vitor and Bailly he's the same options as all those before him.

Competition for places always pushes players to perform, when your spot is comfy you can coast by.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

The poster spent years defending Woodward, it's natural to look for negatives now, after all it's "Team woodward".

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Latest rumours and transfers show why is speed on transfer market important. Despite some posters keep defending him.
Ajax have money now and don't want to lose whole team. So they slapped huge fees on remaining players. Murtough delayed it and now we don't have any advantage in those deal. It will be "you overpay or walk away".
Outgoings; more and more clubs are finishing their business. So less time and less chance to sell players. Again, he messed up.

Woodward 2013 all over again. He will maybe buy all of those players and sell some but seems to me it will be in Ed's style; "How much? Ok, done"

Keefy18

The poster spent years defending Woodward, it's natural to look for negatives now, after all it's "Team woodward".
And still would defend against ridiculous arguments.

Honestly don't care who does this role, just want it done effectively.

We can only judge it on what we see thus far, if he turns it around by end of the window...great. But so far its a mess.

Matst1

Honestly, and no offence, you sound like an impatient 5 year old. Surely you know things as complex as transfers and everything else that goes on behind the scenes takes time. Murtaugh especially should be given more time with all the changes he's implemented. Come back and judge 18 months/2 years.. Not saying he's going to a roaring success, but give him a bit more time.

Tango80

Latest rumours and transfers show why is speed on transfer market important. Despite some posters keep defending him.
Ajax have money now and don't want to lose whole team. So they slapped huge fees on remaining players. Murtough delayed it and now we don't have any advantage in those deal. It will be "you overpay or walk away".
Outgoings; more and more clubs are finishing their business. So less time and less chance to sell players. Again, he messed up.

Woodward 2013 all over again. He will maybe buy all of those players and sell some but seems to me it will be in Ed's style; "How much? Ok, done"
Antony was always going for big money - Sao Paulo inserted a 20% sell on clause, so they're probably going to lose 10mil plus of what they get for him.

If we're looking at European clubs hardly anyones finished their business - the transfer window isn't even open in most countries.

Keefy18

Honestly, and no offence, you sound like an impatient 5 year old. Surely you know things as complex as transfers and everything else that goes on behind the scenes takes time. Murtaugh especially should be given more time with all the changes he's implemented. Come back and judge 18 months/2 years.. Not saying he's going to a roaring success, but give him a bit more time.
Normally I would very much preach patience, thing is we don't have time on our side this summer at all with a mid season world cup, early season start and of course the dire state the squad is in.

The comment just above ours explains why time is so important to us. If ETH wanted an Ajax player to join us like Antony we are now going to have to overpay for him due to the sale of Haller to Dortmund. They've money in the coffers now and can play hard ball with us that bit more.

The longer we take, the more difficult each and every single signing after it gets.

flameinthesun

We can only judge it on what we see thus far, if he turns it around by end of the window...great. But so far its a mess.
So far its a mess? With the transfer window not even open and potentially signing FDJ by the first day of the transfer window, yet its a mess? There has not been enough time to see whether its been a mess, average or great, we will only know at the end of the window. If anything not resigning the likes of lingard, mata, matic etc, it looks like we will get 8mil for Andreas (after everybody was up in arms for us not accepting 4mil from the brazilian club), we've made an offer for eriksen, in talks for anthony, timber (whether we get them is a different question). That seems like a good but not spectacular start to the window.

And comparing us to other clubs is futile, the club would have had its targets already but with ETH not starting till the end of last season would have had to wait for him to okay them and/or suggest new targets. The majority of teams chase players for months before signing them yet we are expected to wrap up deals in 2 weeks... Wait and see what position we are at the end of the season. Yes Arnold, Murtough and ETH need to earn our trust, but to earn our trust they need to be allowed to, you know, actually earn it.

Keefy18

So far its a mess? With the transfer window not even open and potentially signing FDJ by the first day of the transfer window, yet its a mess? There has not been enough time to see whether its been a mess, average or great, we will only know at the end of the window. If anything not resigning the likes of lingard, mata, matic etc, it looks like we will get 8mil for Andreas (after everybody was up in arms for us not accepting 4mil from the brazilian club), we've made an offer for eriksen, in talks for anthony, timber (whether we get them is a different question). That seems like a good but not spectacular start to the window.

And comparing us to other clubs is futile, the club would have had its targets already but with ETH not starting till the end of last season would have had to wait for him to okay them and/or suggest new targets. The majority of teams chase players for months before signing them yet we are expected to wrap up deals in 2 weeks... Wait and see what position we are at the end of the season. Yes Arnold, Murtough and ETH need to earn our trust, but to earn our trust they need to be allowed to, you know, actually earn it.
The window for PL clubs opened on June 10th.

We can still sort out transfers prior to this date but conclude them on that date or any after.

Expectations are so low we have folks like yourself who think talks and discussions make a good start to transfer window. It's all immaterial unless we manage to sign players up that the manager wants. Talk is cheap, actions are what matter.

Again we can only judge it on what we see so far and its anything but confidence boosting.

Keefy18

Whilst we drag our feet over the FDJ deal, Arsenal swoop in to take a player ETH wants.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Yeah sure, defend and give every excuse under the sun to protect Woodward, then find any reason to have a go at Murtough.

I mean it's not surprising, Glazers, Woodward try their best to protect their image in social media.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
If the fee for De Jong currently spouted is true, massive egg on a lot of our "fans" faces.

"Something something footballing people something something."

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It should be remembered that he didn’t fail at Barca. He maybe didn’t show his whole range because Barca used him in a different way. Look at him playing for Holland rather than Barca; usually he’s the standout player. No better man to play him and get the best from him than ETH
I do have my reservations but you're absolutely right that if anyone knows how to use him and get the best out of him then it's ten Hag. If he's the centrepiece of our new team and he's who the new manager wants then it makes sense to sign him.

Caesar2290

Would be so cheeky of Murtough letting another side do the lions share of the bargaining/negotiating only to swoop in at the 11th hour again :lol:

Bypasses that pesky 'United tax'
Have to say that is a genius strat on bypassing the United tax.

Let other "lesser" teams do the grunt work. Give the player agent a 5-10% better offer than the other team. Ask the agent to keep it a secret and inform us when the deal is done. Swoop in(gazoomp :drool: ) and offer an exact/slightly better offer. Profit!

That way we don't overpay on both fees and wages... 2 birds with 1 stone.

Very impressive

JustinC00

Murtough pulling be back in with this Malacia move, very shrewd and good business.

Status
Not open for further replies.