The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castia

It took some doing but they did it. They managed to be even worse than Ed Woodward and Matt Judge. Well done.

When is that fecker Arnold sitting down with the fans again? he will probably get a glass put over his head.

romufc

I wonder what it will take to start boycotting games, I feel that is the only way to show discontent.

We have been sold loads of promises in the last few years, Arnold talking about backing the manager, end up with washed signings with attitude problems.

We have been progressively getting worse.

I actually am not looking forward to this season at all considering how well every other club is operating.

Even Chelsea, with a new ownership have decided to back the manager.

gorky_utd

The owners have never invested anything into the club. They have only taken money from the club, the only owners in the Premier League to do so.

No one should ever forget that we have just paid out dividends to our owners after the worst PL era season ever, and now struggle to sign players due to both incompetence appointed by the Glazers, and lack of funds because of the Glazers.

Our owners are a toxic disaster that must be removed from ownership the sooner the better.
That is my point too. They probably dont want the club to spend money anymore because lack of UCL. They want their profit margin/ dividend to remain untouched. Seling players without replacement, buying 10m rated players are indicative of that. FDJ interest was there because somebody probably told them that FDJ can help bring back UCL football.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That is my point too. They probably dont want the club to spend money anymore because lack of UCL. They want their profit margin/ dividend to remain untouched. Seling players without replacement, buying 10m rated players are indicative of that. FDJ interest was there because somebody probably told them that FDJ can help bring back UCL football.
My point is, if they wanted to do this why didn't they instruct the club to go for the best free agents. We could've signed Tolisso before he went to Lyon for free.

Instead we've p'd about all summer only to panic buy Rabiot, who Juve were trying to pay off to leave Turin.

Its just negligence. They don't give a s-t about the club as long as the piggybank is there. That's why people like Murtough, who have zero experience as Football Directors, are being tasked with turning around one of the most famous football clubs in the world.

If the Glazers gave an ounce of a crap about United. They would at least want the most able people in the game to be working at United. People like Monchi don't go into the market and spend hundreds of millions each year. They're excellent at their jobs so they're constantly unearthing gems. If I was a Glazer and I really wanted United to do well but for as cheap as possible that's the kind of Football Director I'd go for. The fact they can't even be bothered to do that shows that they have zero interest in the club.

mav_9me

How long before the articles show up about how United/Murtough have learned painful lessons about recruitment this summer and these mistakes won't be repeated as the whole recruitment process will be overhauled.....

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The first transfer window since taking on the job is not even over, he's hired the best available manager in world football and made three good signings, and after one defeat fans are calling for the DoF to be fired. You are a bunch of fecking clowns, you really are.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The first transfer window since taking on the job is not even over, he's hired the best available manager in world football and made three good signings, and after one defeat fans are calling for the DoF to be fired. You are a bunch of fecking clowns, you really are.
No one, not even bitter rivals think that we have done enough in the summer. We had 8 exits, 3 in of which 2 are arguably first teamers.

We have no proper striker, we have none of the forward targets signed, we have no DM, we have failed to bolster right back, we haven't sold well, we are panicking with under par signings. But no becsuse we signed 3 players were a bunch of clowns. Good one.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
3 good signings?

Oh here's me thinking that players actually have to prove they are good signings before being labelled them.

The only one of the three I'm confident will be a undisputed success is Eriksen. The other two could go either way quite easily as they aren't proven at all.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Yeah he's done a fantastic job, hasn't he? Shocking post.

spiriticon

3 good signings?

One has a history of heart attacks and I'm not even sure he can do 50 games a season because of that.

Two is the shortest CB in the history of the PL, a league is known for having extremely physical forwards who love aerial duels

Three is an unknown left back which is fine, but still unproven.

I wouldn't class any of them as good just yet.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You are not wrong in that dispassionate assessment. United fans would do well to listen. Thank you for injecting some sense into proceedings. Things will be a knee jerk nightmare in here for a while. I am not happy about the way things have gone thus far, but it is true what you say, he has got the best manager available, we have made three decent signings, and the window is not over. It's fair to say that the window currently falls short of expectations and requirements, but a lot of the reactions on here are simply kids losing their shit.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We signed a backup LB from Feyenoord, a free agent with a pacemaker and a 5ft9 CB from Ajax. Apart from Martinez the rest wouldn't look out of place at an EPL mid table club.

rajds89

I haven’t been around here long enough to know quite whether you are just fishing for bites or you’re being genuine. Regardless, to suggest we’ve made 3 good signings when, as others have already stated.. one is for all intensive purposes a backup left back very much for the future, the second being the shortest centre back in the league who from everything I’ve seen of him would suggest playing at CDM in this league would better suit him and the third, the third already having premier league experience and in my opinion, was the best player on the pitch Saturday once he moved in to midfield, the only question mark against him would be just how much he can play during an entire season.

Even those who are laughing at our decline would say we are still at least 3/4 top signings away from being remotely close to competing.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
You are not wrong in that dispassionate assessment. United fans would do well to listen. Thank you for injecting some sense into proceedings. Things will be a knee jerk nightmare in here for a while. I am not happy about the way things have gone thus far, but it is true what you say, he has got the best manager available, we have made three decent signings, and the window is not over. It's fair to say that the window currently falls short of expectations and requirements, but a lot of the reactions on here are simply kids losing their shit.
The issues being pointed out in here have been pointed out for months (if not years) and still haven't been addressed. It's not "knee jerk" by any means.

Castia

We thought last season was ugly. We’re going to new depths this season you can feel the unrest.

Amir

How long before the articles show up about how United/Murtough have learned painful lessons about recruitment this summer and these mistakes won't be repeated as the whole recruitment process will be overhauled.....
September 1st.

always_hoping

We signed a backup LB from Feyenoord, a free agent with a pacemaker and a 5ft9 CB from Ajax. Apart from Martinez the rest wouldn't look out of place at an EPL mid table club.
Can Martinez be played as defensive midfielder? Anything would be better than trying to play Mctominay or Fred in that role. Looks like yet another season that no natural defensive midfielder will be signed under various managers and that's on the clueless business men in control of transfers.

clarkydaz

followed by January warchest

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Can Martinez be played as defensive midfielder? Anything would be better than trying to play Mctominay or Fred in that role. Looks like yet another season that no natural defensive midfielder will be signed under various managers and that's on the clueless business men in control of transfers.
We should have signed at least 1 CM apart from De Jong. Instead we spent 2 months pursuing Fabreg erm De Jong only to possibly end up with one hell of an egg on our face.

jem

And that they were baffled/bemused by Barca’s shenanigans and De Jong’s lack of enthusiasm

LordSpud

Remember in January when Rangnick wanted reinforcements and the club wouldnt spend any money? The line they spouted was "the money was being earmarked for the Summer". What a load of bollocks. I think we're skint personally.

hobbers

Hiring ETH was too obvious a choice to count in anyones' favour.

This has been a totally humiliating transfer window for the club and Murtough has failed dismally in every way imaginable. Even with months and months of warning about the huge amount of changes that were needed.

No planning, failed negotiations, no plan Bs, now deferring every decision to the manager. Murtough is finished, he's a chancer and he's been immediately found out. Arnold will replace him as soon as the heat starts rising to save his own neck.

AndySmith1990

Good job on ignoring all context just for the sake of having an excuse to insult people

Godfather

Nice try

mav_9me

It has nothing to do with the defeat. And you know that.

stoinz

You are taking it out of context. It wasnt the defeat alone, it was a culmination of factors. Actually I think fans would have make their peace if we stick to our guns and say we will develop our own since we can't get our primary targets. Fergie used to say no value in the market all the time. Fans will groan for a while but when the season starts all focus will be on the football and nothing else.

But it is after the defeat that you start hearing news of Arnautovic, Rabiot. Players on high wages and characters that we said we should be avoiding. This after the FDJ debacle, the doomed bid of Sesko, the dragging of our feet with Antony. We had ETH in early so we can target players early and get them in early. So if we fail, we can switch to plan B early or if not walk the talk of developing our own. This doesn't sound like we are backing our new manager. It doesn't look like we have any plan at all.

Also there has always been a mistrust of his caliber. The defeat just highlighted the frustrations and mistrust more.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
You couldn't stop shitting on Rangnick when he came in the door and now United fans are clowns because they're not seeing a clear plan in place. Yes Murtough hired likely the best man for the job - if you care to add context United fans had already shown almost unanimous support for ETH before he even got interviewed, with reports of the board taking more to Pochettino. The guy you loved to shit on was pretty accurate in his assessment and with that in mind, knowing this is a World Cup year with a shorter time than usual to prepare a team for the season, we really needed to be on it. We really haven't been. The three signings may come good, but they are far from certain and we obviously spent huge on Martinez. But major positions haven't been addressed. Then when Arnautović is linked fans rightly think back to Ighalo, Cavani, and the other stop gaps that indicated there was no long-term plan in place. Same with Rabiot, although a better player and much younger, Juve can't wait to shift him and there we are looking for scraps.

I guess you think a de facto DoF is doing a stellar job as long as he hires the best manager and that's all there's to it. Strange that, coming from a Bayern fan.

Foxbatt

Everyone knew that McFred was not good enough. I mean we didn't have a decent DM since Carrick retired. Yes we didn't get one.
Is he DOF or head of the scouting department? If he is DOF then he is failing. If he is head of the scouting department then it's up to ETH to decide if he wants what player.

Yakuza_devils

Murtough is lucky. He must has build lots of connections in the club to be still in the job. We had a much more qualified DOF in Rangnick that lasted only 6 months.

I have no doubts that if Rangnick was the one in the club as DOF we would at least be in much better situation than now. We are now targeting Rabiot and Arnautovic. Rangnick would not let it happen because he wants to build the club for long term. Young players with their 1st or 2nd contracts.

Gavinb33

I wonder what it will take to start boycotting games, I feel that is the only way to show discontent.

We have been sold loads of promises in the last few years, Arnold talking about backing the manager, end up with washed signings with attitude problems.

We have been progressively getting worse.

I actually am not looking forward to this season at all considering how well every other club is operating.

Even Chelsea, with a new ownership have decided to back the manager.
And if these are players the manager has asked for, then what?

romufc

And if these are players the manager has asked for, then what?
It is clear they are not what the manager has asked for. I guess you clearly don't know how this works?

Ten Hag appointed in May, wanted players and those names were given.

Do you actually think, Ten Hag has told Manutd board in August what the players he wants are?

The board have failed him really badly, like they did with LVG, Jose and Ole. Nothing will change under the Glazers.

Gavinb33

It is clear they are not what the manager has asked for. I guess you clearly don't know how this works?

Ten Hag appointed in May, wanted players and those names were given.

Do you actually think, Ten Hag has told Manutd board in August what the players he wants are?

The board have failed him really badly, like they did with LVG, Jose and Ole. Nothing will change under the Glazers.
To get a player they have to want to come you understand this, i could as manager make a list of players i want to sign it doesn't actually mean anything unless we can sign them United are not a club that players around the world are looking at thinking this is an attractive club to come to, we almost have delusions of grandeur from the board level to the fans also in that we're Man United we can sign anybody well we cannot.

They gave the name of FdJ and have agreed a fee despite everything telling us the deal was unlikely to happen and have held on until we get to where we are now holding our dicks pissing in the wind, and if these jokers were the secondary targets well it probably shows we shouldn't really be listening to the manager at all when it comes to signings and if the football department cannot convince him or present cases for other players we might as well not sign anyone in my opinion.

Red00012

Oh dear

JohnnyKills

Remember in January when Rangnick wanted reinforcements and the club wouldnt spend any money? The line they spouted was "the money was being earmarked for the Summer". What a load of bollocks. I think we're skint personally.
Agree.

The whole De Jong think stinks of phantom bidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.