Television The Last Dance (ESPN) | 97-98 Bulls and MJ

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The Patriots won 3 championships in 4 years - 01, 03, 04...then 3 in in 5 years - 14, 16, 18. There's no doubt that the Patriots have been consistent at a high level for a long time with Brady and Belichick. But that's two completely different eras and dynasties.

Spurs had a dynasty winning in 03, 05, 07. Winning in 1999, but then waiting 4 years later for another championship isn't dynasty worthy. From 2010 to 2017, Spurs only won the conference finals, making the NBA Finals twice, winning the NBA Finals once in 2014. Spurs had a dynasty in the mid-2000s. Their consistency has a franchise is awesome and they are well run with one of the top coaches/minds/motivators in Pop, but their dynastic run falls behind the Patriots and well behind the Bulls.

Back-to-back-to-back championships, a 3-peat on the trot. Then a year-and-a half without MJ, meant two years without a championship, but they still made the playoffs losing to better teams after the 1st round. Then another 3-peat on the trot.

So..Chicago = 6 championships in 8 years, two 3-peats / Patriots 6 in 18 years (3 in 4 ties them with the Bulls in terms of most championships within certain number of years, but never consecutive years) / Spurs 5 in 15 years (3 in 5 years is their best run, but no consecutive championships).
Agree to disagree then.

It's clearly one dynasty to me, especially Brady/Belichick. That's like, universally accepted. Even when they weren't winning, they got to 8 consecutive conference finals. You can't compare the NFL to the NBA, but that's extremely hard to do anyway. I also believe the Popovich era can be defined as one dynasty. You don't need to be winning all the time to stop being one.

edcunited1878

Someone born in 91 didn't really live Jordan anyway. But I'm seeing this kind of thing come up a lot - which kind of makes no sense.... a lot LeBron fans are old enough to have been around for Jordan - hell in some cases, COVERED Jordan as a journo or what not yet still go that way - because they see longevity and big numbers as the key thing - or doing across multiple teams etc.

I can't think they will be much that a devout NBA fan who already has LeBron number 1 will get from this that would turn them back to Jordan as number 1. Surely there can't be that much hidden that isn't already known from leaks.

If someone has LeBron #1 because they are heavily uneducated on Jordan - then yes, it could turn them around. But then Curry or Kobe will likely be their 3, so stuff their input anyway!
If you were born in 91, you have zero recollection about the '92 Barcelona Olympics and the 1992 USA Dream Team, Jordan's time at UNC, his battles with the Pistons and Celtics, then his rise to un-rarified Air.

edcunited1878

Agree to disagree then.

It's clearly one dynasty to me, especially Brady/Belichick. That's like, universally accepted. Even when they weren't winning, they got to 8 consecutive conference finals. You can't compare the NFL to the NBA, but that's extremely hard to do anyway. I also believe the Popovich era can be defined as one dynasty. You don't need to be winning all the time to stop being one.
I agree you don't need to be winning championships all the time to be considered a dynasty, but there's a considerable amount of weight in winning the entire thing when considering yourself a dynasty. However, yes, I agree with you that there are dominant, if not just consistent teams/organizations for many years and the Patriots and Spurs are easily included in that space.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
A bit off-topic but the '99-'17 Spurs and '02-'19 Pats both easily top it for me. It's "easy" to create a dynasty for 6 years around the greatest player to ever step on a basketball court, the true challenge is keeping it up for two decades. Something apparently the Bulls weren't even close to capable of, due to multiple reasons both front office and on the court.
Sorry, I meant in terms of how fascinating the dynasties were. The Brady/Belichick Pats and Pop/Duncan Spurs were notoriously boring in real life, though the Pats do have some of the most legendary postseason games.

Zen

Agree to disagree then.

Agree on the dynasty definition - QB/Coach is all you need to define it in NFL, hell reasonable a QB is all you need, it is after all the most key singular position in sports, add a coach and it's clearly the whole time - it's just got sub era's in there, the 'Gronk' era being peak clearly despite the 3 in 4.

Same with Spurs - you have the Twin Towers, Big 3 and then the Kawhi - but it's the Pop/Tim combo that makes it. It's quickly gonr down hill with Tim retiring. So it's not on Pop alone.

On the Bulls 'dynasty' - it's not really 6 in 8.... it's more like 6 in 11. The dynasty shouldn't start when they win, it's start when Phil is HC/Pippen comes in, the Bulls aren't the Bulls without the mental strength the Pistons roadblock give them.

Saying that, there is no way I could put the Spurs above the Bulls. They lost 4 times to the 98-04 Lakers....and also lost to shorter term 'great' teams that Jordan/Hakeem completely shut out in the 90's.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Agree on the dynasty definition - QB/Coach is all you need to define it in NFL, hell reasonable a QB is all you need, it is after all the most key singular position in sports, add a coach and it's clearly the whole time - it's just got sub era's in there, the 'Gronk' era being peak clearly despite the 3 in 4.

Same with Spurs - you have the Twin Towers, Big 3 and then the Kawhi - but it's the Pop/Tim combo that makes it. It's quickly gonr down hill with Tim retiring. So it's not on Pop alone.

On the Bulls 'dynasty' - it's not really 6 in 8.... it's more like 6 in 11. The dynasty shouldn't start when they win, it's start when Phil is HC/Pippen comes in, the Bulls aren't the Bulls without the mental strength the Pistons roadblock give them.

Saying that, there is no way I could put the Spurs above the Bulls. They lost 4 times to the 98-04 Lakers....and also lost to shorter term 'great' teams that Jordan/Hakeem completely shut out in the 90's.
Can't fault them for losing against one of the greatest teams of all-time :cool:

No, seriously, I see what you mean and I agree. There's no way that the Spurs were ever at the level of Jordan's Bulls from a sports or competitive POV, I think that much is clear. But I just value a 20-year dynasty overall a lot more, since it's so damn hard to achieve with how the NBA and NFL is set up. Smart drafting, adapting, keep being competitive, keeping all the egos in check, that's so hard to do for such an extended period of time. There's a reason the Bulls blew up after only a decade or so... Apparently Krause and Reinsdorf might've also been the reasons but Jordan's ego was super big, wasn't it? There's no way he was gonna take a paycut to help the team like Brady or Duncan did, for example.

Also agree that it shouldn't start when you start winning, or stop when you stop winning. If the Warriors return to relevancy next season and win another 2-3 rings under Steph and Klay with Kerr at the helm, they'd have a dynasty of almost a decade. It hasn't stopped yet just because they won't win a ring for two years. I know Brady didn't win one for a decade or so but they still kept being competitive.

Zen

I don't really put that Lakers too high either... but still that 2001 team, goddamn. Kings had their number in 2002 though, feck it, despite the epic ending.

Also not sure on the Jordan money cut thing - he wasn't the highest paid in the league before the $30m stuff, and came back to play for a pittance in a Wizards jersey, who knows. The team was full of not humble people that gelled for twice as long as the Lakers 98-04 'gelled' for, Phils magic for pulling off both really. If you had an a ego with Pop - then you're off..... see Kawhi.

1- Bulls, 2-Showtime Lakers, 3-Birds Celtics, 4-Spurs, 5-Shaq Lakers/GSW..... I don't do pre 80's. I take into account strength of league/longevity/highest peaks. I dunno.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I don't really put that Lakers too high either... but still that 2001 team, goddamn. Kings had their number in 2002 though, feck it, despite the epic ending.

Also not sure on the Jordan money cut thing - he wasn't the highest paid in the league before the $30m stuff, and came back to play for a pittance in a Wizards jersey, who knows. The team was full of not humble people that gelled for twice as long as the Lakers 98-04 'gelled' for, Phils magic for pulling off both really. If you had an a ego with Pop - then you're off..... see Kawhi.

1- Bulls, 2-Showtime Lakers, 3-Birds Celtics, 4-Spurs, 5-Shaq Lakers/GSW..... I don't do pre 80's. I take into account strength of league/longevity/highest peaks. I dunno.
As dynasty rankings, I can agree on that for sure. The Kobe/Shaq relationship just wasn't sustainable, that was fully on the players theirselves. On the peak of their powers though, I think not many of those teams you mentioned would be able to handle Shaq in his prime at all. The Bulls would probably be the best candidate just because they had Jordan.

Didn't know Jordan came back for so little with the Wizard. Maybe he was already earning billions based on his brand by then :D

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
My jaw was on the floor seeing Jordan's improvement from a kid to college to NBA debut. Because it's Jordan, i assumed he was a natural star as a kid too. What an inspiration he is.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
As dynasty rankings, I can agree on that for sure. The Kobe/Shaq relationship just wasn't sustainable, that was fully on the players theirselves. On the peak of their powers though, I think not many of those teams you mentioned would be able to handle Shaq in his prime at all. The Bulls would probably be the best candidate just because they had Jordan.

Didn't know Jordan came back for so little with the Wizard. Maybe he was already earning billions based on his brand by then :D
He was a VP in the front office first so that may have influenced his official low salary

fish

Great couple of eps so far, they haven't really got to it yet, but Jordan probably the most clutch player I can think of in any sport.. guy was unparalleled in the pressure moments. The D-Lo ice in his veins celbration really winds me up, he has no idea what it really means to be an ice cold killer

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Is he really only comparable to Ali and Ruth though (think they mentioned that in the documentary too)?

I always thought Gretzky was for ice hockey what Jordan is for basketball.

OleBoiii

I know very little about basketball, but this has been entertaining so far.

Crazy to think that the 2nd(?) best player in the NBA wasn't even among the top 100 earners when he was in his prime(?).

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Is he really only comparable to Ali and Ruth though (think they mentioned that in the documentary too)?

Yeah it's insular US sports fans being insular. There are a bunch of sportsmen/women who also belong in that Jordan tier

Zen

I remember collecting sticker books in the UK in the 90's of the NBA .... that right there, is influence. Forget that he casually made a film.
NBA as a whole, but massively worldwide, collapsed for years after him.
So yes he's (and Tiger since) is on that level.

Gretzky's not even close. Yes he's the sports icon, but he didn't elevate it that much. He's probably Bird/Magic levels maybe. Doesn't help LeMieux is probably the more talented player either. Hockey just isn't going to make the jump full stop though.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
IMO, he's on another level to them let alone comparable.
Yeah think I expressed myself wrong, I didn't mean it as in "wow, you can compare him to those guys?" but rather "are those guys the only other athletes ever that you can compare to Jordan?".

Because, while obviously a thousand times bigger global icon, I always thought Gretzky had the same allure for ice hockey than Jordan did for basketball, i.e. the undisputed GOAT (again, apart form global reach and popularity etc.).

Norris

Loved the first two episodes. Man, I forgot how incredible Jordan was. Phenomenal.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Yeah think I expressed myself wrong, I didn't mean it as in "wow, you can compare him to those guys?" but rather "are those guys the only other athletes ever that you can compare to Jordan?".

Because, while obviously a thousand times bigger global icon, I always thought Gretzky had the same allure for ice hockey than Jordan did for basketball, i.e. the undisputed GOAT (again, apart form global reach and popularity etc.).
Personally, I think there's three others that you can compare him too. Schumacher, Woods and Sir Alex. They all share that win at all costs trait - feck anybody that gets in my way and do it for an entire career. You could probaby add Armstrong to that group as well but I think people get a little touchy about that one.

DVG7

There is no way he can be left out of everyone on the planets top 3 list of “best athlete ever” when factoring in what he done for the sport.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Rodman going out to party in Vegas is such a great story :lol:

Heardy

He was a bit of a douche though wasn’t he?! Sure I’ve read stories of him being as high up his own arse he could get.

Whilst lauded as the greatest by fans, and rightly so, I’m pretty sure he thought he was the GOAT and that’s never a great personality trait!

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
He was a bit of a douche though wasn’t he?! Sure I’ve read stories of him being as high up his own arse he could get.

Whilst lauded as the greatest by fans, and rightly so, I’m pretty sure he thought he was the GOAT and that’s never a great personality trait!
Dunno, only watched Ep 3 so far but at least to me, he kind of came across as a lost young man who just struggled to cope with all the off-the-field distractions of the NBA spotlight, and acted out as a way of handling it. In that regard, him colouring his hair and stuff seemed to me like a "coping mechanism" to be able to tell himself that he could still do whatever he wanted.

Zen

Literally every sportsman believes their own hype. If they don't, they wouldn't get that high. Ronaldo and Messi both do, Mayweather and Ali both had it, Federer has it, Tiger has it, LeBron has openly claimed it about himself etc etc

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

“He’s a real mother******” as a sort of compliment might have been invented because of him. It‘s used to describe people that are so competitive it’s almost insane. You hate them at times, but can’t deny they’re great. Tom Brady and Tiger come to mind immediately...Kobe and CR7 definitely as well.

One anecdote I always loved from the DP show was Drew Brees losing his shit because he lost a round in a friendly game with Dan Patrick. They’re so competitive that they can’t stand losing at anything: miniature golf, a board game, thumb wrestling...doesn’t matter.

Heardy

Literally every sportsman believes their own hype. If they don't, they wouldn't get that high. Ronaldo and Messi both do, Mayweather and Ali both had it, Federer has it, Tiger has it, LeBron has openly claimed it about himself etc etc
I get the elite mentality. For me though Jordan always seems offish in clips with fans.

In the first episode, some guys asks Jordan to sign a napkin and Jordan doesn't even respond, just gives his assistant a disapproving "holier than thou" look who steps in and asks the guy not to do that.

Heardy

“He’s a real mother******” as a sort of compliment might have been invented because of him. It‘s used to describe people that are so competitive it’s almost insane. You hate them at times, but can’t deny they’re great. Tom Brady and Tiger come to mind immediately...Kobe and CR7 definitely as well.

One anecdote I always loved from the DP show was Drew Brees losing his shit because he lost a round in a friendly game with Dan Patrick. They’re so competitive that they can’t stand losing at anything: miniature golf, a board game, thumb wrestling...doesn’t matter.
Yeah - maybe i misworded my gripe. I get that he buys his hype and has that competitive streak. That alone is fine, and i even respect it. But when that translates to being a douche to fans wanting a pic / autograph, because you're "above that" - that's where i have the problem.

Bobski

Just on Gretzky, if we are talking purely stats, it is he who is closest to Bradman as the most dominant individual in sports history.

Stats rarely tell the full story though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Enjoying this. Seeing a lot of parallels with football in terms of mentality and toughness required.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just on Gretzky, if we are talking purely stats, it is he who is closest to Bradman as the most dominant individual in sports history.

Stats rarely tell the full story though.
I need more information on Gretzky, in that I know who he is and watched the 30 for 30 on him but not his overall career. I question his move to the Kings. He didn't win the Stanley Cup there, is that see as a blemish on his career?

SirAF

Ageist
Not much of a basket fan, but I’ve really enjoyed the two first episodes.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I get the elite mentality. For me though Jordan always seems offish in clips with fans.

In the first episode, some guys asks Jordan to sign a napkin and Jordan doesn't even respond, just gives his assistant a disapproving "holier than thou" look who steps in and asks the guy not to do that.
I remember seeing that clip. Thought the guy was completely in the wrong there as he was working in some official capacity. Wtf is he asking Jordan for an autograph in that moment?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What’s up with Jordan’s eyes in this though?

Zen

And theres also absolutely endless shots of him making the effort for fans - especially kids. You could get almost any sportsman shrugging off doing signatures. It's not something Jordan has been heavily critisized for to be fair. These 'refusal' criticisms any celeb gets should always be put in context. Bare in mind, MJ was the biggest sportsman in American by a landslide that has never been known since.