Television The Last Dance (ESPN) | 97-98 Bulls and MJ

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Muhammed Ali is Numero Uno...

Mike Tyson

Jordan/Beckham

Woods/C.Ronaldo

Is how I'd rate it in terms of cross over appeal across various demographics/cultures. Most girls who are not into football wouldn't have a clue what Messi looks like.

PS. as for the show itself, it is so good.. it trumps even All or Nothing for the way it is put together!

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Mike Tyson

Jordan/Beckham

Woods/C.Ronaldo

Is how I'd rate it in terms of cross over appeal across various demographics/cultures. Most girls who are not into football wouldn't have a clue what Messi looks like.

PS. as for the show itself, it is so good.. it trumps even All or Nothing for the way it is put together!
Tyson will be stuck in time unfortunately. He resonates with most up to the year 2000... after that, nobody has a clue who he is.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Ah ok, that's interesting. Like I said, not well versed. They certainly portrayed the Pistons as more a team of grafters (and dirty feckers) than a team with superstars.

I can't get over what they got away with back then, too. Both in and out of games. The Rodman to Vegas story had me in disbelief :lol:
Nah, they clearly mentioned a few times that the Bad Boys Pistons had loads of talent, but they chose to win it on their own terms which was to beat the feck out of their opponents.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He’s famous for what he was good at, and what he created. The Jordan jumpman logo is more famous than any sportsman ever. Probably more than all of them altogether.

But Becks was a global celebrity.

Ask anyone who the best footballer ever was, most will say Pele.

Ask about basketball, most will say Jordan.

Half of those couldn’t point out a picture of either man.

But Celebrity is not tethered to talent
You're dismissing MJ's Jumpman logo as not being part of his recognition while playing up Beckham's global celebrity status as a sign that Beckham is more popular?

Get the feck out, nobody would give a shit about Beckham in 10 years down the road, he'll just be known as the first major popular footballer and that it's.

MJ has huge global cultural impact ever since he started playing.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I can't believe how good this is.

Not knowing anything about basketball, this is one of the most interesting documentaries I've ever seen, and miles better than anything football related that's been made. Makes me desperate to watch more of it - might try to watch some classic play offs or something.

Bobski

It is good, well made, highly watchable but it does feel like a very polished Jordan propaganda exercise.

Oggmonster

It is good, well made, highly watchable but it does feel like a very polished Jordan propaganda exercise.
I don't think he comes across as a great person in it (he doesn't come across particularly bad either.) I know nothing about basketball but I think the "propaganda" part is cos he was that good.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I don't think he comes across as a great person in it (he doesn't come across particularly bad either.) I know nothing about basketball but I think the "propaganda" part is cos he was that good.
Yes, they definitely show some of his flaws, which we look past due to his genius.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Le bron is no where near as popular as Jordan was at his peak, despite internet and media proliferation in third world making it much easier to be recognisable by name now. I was in primary school in mid 90s and I saw so many students in India in my school wearing Bulls' caps and other accessories at that time. Even those who did not know about the NBA but just knew about basketball as a sport, knew that Michael Jordan was best it.

Given football's popularity in Africa and Asia in general, it is always likely that the most famous footballer has more name recognition than a basket ball player.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Mike Tyson

Jordan/Beckham

Woods/C.Ronaldo

Good list. I'd throw Pele and Maradonna in there also.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Tyson will be stuck in time unfortunately. He resonates with most up to the year 2000... after that, nobody has a clue who he is.
@Raees I take that back. Iron Mike must have read this because he released this on Friday and it broke the fecking internet.

Forgive me Mike for I had sinned...

Also, you forgot Schumacher who is easily on the same level as Beckham/Woods etc.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
@Raees I take that back. Iron Mike must have read this because he released this on Friday and it broke the fecking internet.

Also, you forgot Schumacher who is easily on the same level as Beckham/Woods etc.
Who is Schumacher?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Schumacher was my favourite F1 driver.. but the crossover appeal to female market wouldn't be there as much as an Iron Mike whose fame was truly global.

youngrell

Really enjoying the doc, has brought home to me how little I know about basketball.

In terms of global appeal, I believe Jordan is more famous in name than he is appearance, outside of the US of course. Beckham and others are famous for both so would probably tip the scales in their favour. If you showed a photo of Jordan in a basketball jersey, most people would probably have an educated guess at who it was, but show them a photo of him in a suit and I imagine the correct guess ratio goes down significantly.

Anyway, I'd say Usain Bolt would have a strong claim for most recognisable too.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I think Jordan's popularity and awareness of, at his peak at least, far surpassed the names people have thrown up on here, such as Tyson, Beckham, Woods etc.

I remember reading that in a survey taken in China in the early 90s, school children agreed that the two greatest men in history were Chou En-Lai and Michael Jordan. And, upon his return to basketball following his first retirement, the 5 companies whose products he primarily endorsed, experienced a combined share value rise of $2.3 billion.

Football is indeed the world's sport, but MJs level of popularity transcended the sport of basketball and he became a true global cultural icon.

Zen

Women were and kinda still are ..... repulsed by Mike. Is that really fame?

If so, might as well throw in OJ.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Women were and kinda still are ..... repulsed by Mike. Is that really fame?
You'd have to be really into the NBA if you know enough about him to be repulsed, wouldn't you?

"Fame" for me is more the factual evidence that he's a synonym for basketball, even in these parts where few people follow the NBA. If I ask my missus, my mother, my sister, ... basically any non-basketball or sports following female to name 1 NBA player, it's gonna be Michael Jordan.

Zen

Mike.....Tyson.

Generally I don't think women are repulsed by MJ, he saved his best punches for Steve Kerr.... not women.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Has this concluded now? Want to binge it on Netflix once all episodes are available.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Not into Basketball but finding this interesting. Was shocked to find out how many games there are in a regular season. Thought it was just two leagues with the winners facing off similar to the NFL.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Not into Basketball but finding this interesting. Was shocked to find out how many games there are in a regular season. Thought it was just two leagues with the winners facing off similar to the NFL.
It is two conferences with the winners facing off like the NFL, or is that not what you meant?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If you think the NBA play a lot check out baseball.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Mike Tyson

Jordan/Beckham

Woods/C.Ronaldo

Tyson is far more recognisable than Ali. He was a celebrity as well as a boxer. He was in the Hangover.

UnrelatedPsuedo

If you think the NBA play a lot check out baseball.
I think NBA players spend more time ‘in-play’ over a calendar year than Baseball players?.... It was a quiz question that I didn’t believe.

Baseball was under 20 minutes.
NFL was under 10 minutes.
NBA is minimum 48 minutes

EDIT : Obviously Baseball teams play more games.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

They were both celebrities
There are 7+ Billion on the planet right now.

More will know Tyson.

More people will know Tyson as an Actor than will know Cassius Clay as a boxer.

It’s possible that more people will know who Pacquiao or MacGregor than Ali.

Basic Math and Technology is against you.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

More will know Tyson.

No chance in hell that more people know the name Mike Tyson than Muhammad Ali.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

More will know Tyson.

Yes because Ali was just a boxer.... right

Cassidy

I think NBA players spend more time ‘in-play’ over a calendar year than Baseball players?.... It was a quiz question that I didn’t believe.

Baseball was under 20 minutes.
NFL was under 10 minutes.
NBA is minimum 48 minutes

EDIT : Obviously Baseball teams play more games.
Wow, that's a lot in comparison

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

More will know Tyson.

No chance will any of them be known more than Ali. You’re forgetting all the older generations and the fact that Ali transcends boxing.. he’s a bona fide historical figure too.

My grandad and his generation would have no clue about Pac-Man.

Tyson is more known than Pac-Man but Ali is more timeless.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yes because Ali was just a boxer.... right
Aye, Ali was a political and cultural phenomenon. The only time Tyson crossed over into the regular news was for assault charges.

Tying this back to the thread, this is sort of why Jordan has a case for ‘most popular athlete’. The commercial success of his brand was remarkable.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Tyson was in international news yesterday.

Yes. More people ‘know him’.
I can assure you that he definitely wasn't in the Belgian news and probably not in any other West-European countries' news either, unless you count some Twitter videos about him sparring as "international news".

Just the notion that Mike Tyson is more famous than Muhammad Ali really makes me laugh out loud. Ridiculous. If you're not into boxing, you haven't heard from him, ever.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Aye, Ali was a political and cultural phenomenon. The only time Tyson crossed over into the regular news was for assault charges.

Tying this back to the thread, this is sort of why Jordan has a case for ‘most popular athlete’. The commercial success of his brand was remarkable.
Jordan Logo = more popular than any athlete ever.

Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee = probably more famous than any boxer, ever.

More people could identify an image of Beckham face though.

None of it means much.

Cassidy

Jordan Logo = more popular than any athlete ever.

Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee = probably more famous than any boxer, ever.

More people could identify an image of Beckham face though.

None of it means much.
Based on what evidence? Or explain the thought process that leads you to that conclusion.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Just the notion that Mike Tyson is more famous than Muhammad Ali really makes me laugh out loud. Ridiculous. If you're not into boxing, you haven't heard from him, ever.
It’s upsetting but it’s true. The bold is insane.