Music The Last Dinner Party

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Three for three in terms of absolutely class singles so far. They're gonna be huge I reckon.

Zebs

The Kate Bush vibes off this are strong.

Debut album out February. Gonna be huge next year

Zebs

Seeing them tonight in a 300-capacity venue midnight show, not a chance they play a venue this small again this side of the Atlantic. Can't wait.

Recently won the BRITS Rising Star award and are shortlisted for the BBC Sound of 2024.

Zebs

I will keep posting in this thread all by myself.

New single out this morning. Debut album out early February.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Pretty good. On Your Side is my favourite of the ones posted, love the extended outro. How was the gig @Zebs?

Zebs

Pretty good. On Your Side is my favourite of the ones posted, love the extended outro. How was the gig @Zebs?
Outrageously good. I saw about 80 shows in total last year and theirs was the best by some distance. Even they spent 3/4 days posting about it on socials, it was that special.

Slight worry they might pigeon hole themselves when it comes to a second album because they're so dedicated to the look they've created for themselves but we'll stay positive for now.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67880301

BBC Sound of 2024 winners. First guitar band to win in over a decade.
And before HAIM it was nearly a decade before the last guitar band won too (Bloc Party).
These awards are very cyclical.

Not sure I get the hype with these guys, sound like a mash of Florence, Kate Bush and Daddy Issues (nothing matters sounds like a slowed down version of a Daddy Issues song to me).

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Outrageously good. I saw about 80 shows in total last year and theirs was the best by some distance. Even they spent 3/4 days posting about it on socials, it was that special.
Nice.

Do you have a ticket to one of their album launch events/signings?

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Definitely like them, but there may be a little too much Sparks in their sound for me to listen to them long term. Tend to find these sorts of bands disappear up their own arseholes. We'll see I suppose from the album release. Sinner and My Lady of Mercy are bangers though

K Stand Knut

I listened to them for a bit last night.

Definitely good. Not sure they’ll ever be anything more than that and will probably ride the crest of this wave before potentially dropping off the face of the earth.

Reminded me of the Ting Tings.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I like Nothing Matters on first listen.

Superunknown

Seems I can't seem to escape this band right now. Seeing sponsored posts and all kinds of appearances on social media.

Clearly good, but jury is still out for me with just how good they are. I'm leaning towards the 'good, not great' category from what I've been listening to. Perhaps they're being seen as better than they are due to the lack of really great bands in the mainstream at the moment. I'd say bands like Royal Blood are in that same bracket.

Will keep listening.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Seen a few people saying they’re industry plants. Nothing matters is alright.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
People calling them industry plants have no idea of what that actually means.

And even if they are, surely people who can play instruments, write songs and perform live like they can is exactly what we want "the industry" to plant?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That's an often misused phrase imo. Lots of bands have contacts in the industry or an influential admirer.
I heard the same about wetleg and I love their album. As long as the music is good it doesn’t matter.

Redlambs

I heard the same about wetleg and I love their album. As long as the music is good it doesn’t matter.
Yeah, the bands led by women tend to get that more. I wonder why.

As you say, so what? If they can write and play decent music, surely we want that "planted" more than the usual by the numbers crap anyway?

Seems I can't seem to escape this band right now. Seeing sponsored posts and all kinds of appearances on social media.

Clearly good, but jury is still out for me with just how good they are. I'm leaning towards the 'good, not great' category from what I've been listening to. Perhaps they're being seen as better than they are due to the lack of really great bands in the mainstream at the moment. I'd say bands like Royal Blood are in that same bracket.

Will keep listening.
I'm curious as to who is considered "great" of recent times then. Not that I disagree with you, I'm just wondering who I've missed who will make a bigger splash. Or maybe your point that there really is no one is the key. But then I'd say at least we have someone.

As for TLDP, I really like them and will go see them live on the album tour. I think they are all good at what they do and love the energy, but the part after this first album will be interesting more to me. Can they continue and change it up? Who knows. But it's nice to have such a mix of what they do whilst they are here. I mean Sparks, ABBA, Kate Bush and some proper guitar solos thrown in? Hard not to at least notice them and appreciate what they have.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I have my sentence now. At last, I know just how you felt.

Doot, doot doot.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Easy to see why they're termed industry plants when despite having just three tracks to their name they were already on the fifa soundtrack. Not to say they aren't good mind. Like nothing matters probably their strongest track?

Redlambs

Easy to see why they're termed industry plants when despite having just three tracks to their name they were already on the fifa soundtrack. Not to say they aren't good mind. Like nothing matters probably their strongest track?
No it's not. It's a great first single, that guitar solo is so unexpected and clean, but they have better.

Lady of Mercy, Sinner and On Your Side are all better songs for me. Mirror is up there too.

Zebs

Really like them. But my word they were bad on Graham Norton.
That was really bad but the singer had been sick, they did the BBC Sounds gig the day before and she'd said so. Such a shame but having seen 'em live, her vocal when in proper working order is excellent.

Look at you all, responding to my thread at last. <3

Redlambs

That was really bad but the singer had been sick, they did the BBC Sounds gig the day before and she'd said so. Such a shame but having seen 'em live, her vocal when in proper working order is excellent.
She did Dog Days whilst sick too. Ridiculous.

Look at you all, responding to my thread at last. <3
Sadly that says more about you than it does them.

We just don't trust the Zebs.

Zebs

She did Dog Days whilst sick too. Ridiculous.

Sadly that says more about you than it does them.

We just don't trust the Zebs.
I have impeccable taste. Ask @moses. I always pretend to like the bands he sends me

Sweet Square

Saw the band name and ignored them as I thought it was another dog shit Mumford & Son act with beards and tweed jackets.

But checked them at today and some pretty good tunes.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
People calling them industry plants have no idea of what that actually means.

And even if they are, surely people who can play instruments, write songs and perform live like they can is exactly what we want "the industry" to plant?
You know The Monkees didn't write their own songs.

Redlambs

The album is predictably fantastic. Won't be surprised for it to be up there for all the awards.

Going to go for tickets for later in the year, probably London or Cambridge (maybe both). I don't think they'll be playing the smaller venues after this tour, so likely last chance to see them in these places.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Like the album on first listen. The Feminine Urge stood out to me which probably means it'll be my favourite to begin with but then I'll slowly learn to like one of the others that took a few listens to click.

Only thing I would say is I always dislike when loads of singles from the album are released in the build up to it. The album drops and you've already heard half of it.

Redlambs

On target for number 1 album this week. If that means anything anymore. Probably physical sales too as there's quite a lot of variations of the pressings.

Also got a couple of tickets to see the tour, should be a lot of fun.

Eric_the_Red99

Can anyone explain this whole ‘industry plant’ thing? It just seems to a typical allegation directed by bitter (mostly male) music snobs at (mostly female) acts that have had the temerity to be popular, successful and acclaimed without their permission.

It seems to be that because they spent their first couple of years touring small venues and working on their craft rather than releasing any music, when they did finally release a single as perfect as Nothing Matters, some people thought they’d just appeared out of nowhere, fully-formed (ie like a manufactured band) when that really wasn’t the case at all.

Anyway, feck the music snobs. TLDP are the most exciting thing to happen to the UK indie rock scene in years (iirc, they’re the first act to get to no.1 with their debut album in 9 years, which kinda shows you just how dead the mainstream Uk music scene has been over the last decade).