The leaks against the manager 2023 edition

Strelok

That would require real journalism and take time. Why do that when you can make a killing off a global angry fanbase who don't question anything?
Spot on. That's exactly why 'leaks' like this only appear when a team is in bad form. The fanbase are angry and when people are angry they lose their head.

Revaulx

Well there's no real evidence that Rashford is one of those, people on here talk about him like it's a fact because he was mates with Lingard and Sancho, despite not being seen with them outside of footballing circumstances for years.
Yes I agree. I'm no great Rashy fanboy, but the evil deeds he gets accused of by some on here are just weird.

There's a pretty strong rumour at the moment Varane has fallen out with him
Any idea why? Because he's expected to play the occasional game of football? We really are paying the price for making ourselves a retirement home.

Casemiro is playing like a man who couldn't be fecked what the manager thinks, Maguire and McTomminay are constantly rounded on by the manager until he needs them.
Maguire (or more likely his family) maybe, though he seems happy and confident enough right now. Happier than he's looked for ages, in fact. And I don't remember ETH ever saying anything critical of McT; lots of people have criticised him for what they see as unmerited praise.

Of course the moaning might not be recent. Journalists have a tendency to file away quotes etc. and trawl them up on occasions when they'll have the greatest impact.

Maybe it's agents who speak to their players often and they're putting word out now to protect their clients?
Very likely. More so with foreign players who are unlikely to have close ties to British journalists.

Maybe it's players who have left like De Gea who still speaks to lads at the club?
Maybe; that all depends on whether the malcontents are friendly with them.

Could be staff? There's many options, it doesn't just have to be a couple of players.
Could well be. I imagine a lot of people at United are fearful of what the future might hold in the event of a change in control. Even ones that are inevitably going to get big payouts. If Arnold and Murtough fear for their jobs they've going to struggle to motivate those below them.

croadyman

The culture is make money and the football doesnt really matter.

For the players it's make money and protect your brand when the fans start calling you out by shifting it onto the manager.
Yeah absolutely nailed it

Slevs

likes to play with penises
In today's news/leaks. Seems like a slow news day

"Man United players 'are questioning Erik ten Hag's treatment of Harry Maguire and Jadon Sancho' after he ruthlessly stripped captain of the armband and exiled £73m star"

Link

Woodzy

It’s most likely that the leaks come from a staff member of some form, and probably someone not very important at that.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Why would that rule him out of leaking/briefing?
What actual evidence there is to rule him (or any player for that matter) in?

It was pretty obvious in the past who the culprits were, because either them or their agents would be at it on their own social media. Or they'd go do a television interview about it.

The only player atm you can make any logical conclusions might be whining to the press is Sancho, and even then the only thing you can pin him to is his own personal issues with ETH.

I think this is also reflected in the way the leaks are now very boring and general (e.g. players "Not responding", "having doubts" etc.)...as in they are made up/guess work. Compared to in the past when it would be specific stuff like line ups being leaked or players inventing derogatory nicknames for the manager/coaches, which was obviously coming from someone in the dressing room.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
From @Adisa

If he is sacked before we can unload half the squad it will be mindless. We are carrying too many players who are either not good enough or not professional enough or both.

And when I see these reports of Sancho wanting to wait and see what happens with the new co-owners, eugh. Get that cnut out of the door.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
From @Adisa

If he is sacked before we can unload half the squad it will be mindless. We are carrying too many players who are either not good enough or not professional enough or both.

And when I see these reports of Sancho wanting to wait and see what happens with the new co-owners, eugh. Get that cnut out of the door.
Basically how I've felt it about it at this point. Sure he may/will likely get fired, especially then - but Erik could be a hero of the club in my book if he manages to off load a lot of the years long dead weight as a last hurray.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Getting rid of players who aren't good enough and getting rid of the manager should be two decisions that are completely independent of one another. It's not an "either or" situation.

Andy_Cole

Basically how I've felt it about it at this point. Sure he may/will likely get fired, especially then - but Erik could be a hero of the club in my book if he manages to off load a lot of the years long dead weight as a last hurray.
Issue is he’s brought in some dire players to add to the dead weight.

GoldanoGraham

Here we go again…..

Im really not happy with how the team is performing but sacking ETH is not the answer.

Moles need to be weeded out. Deadwood got rid of. Unhappy players need to be outed and moved on.

Also ETH cannot be trusted with new signings - so desperately need a new sporting structure above him to help and assist ETH.

Marwood

It's the same old story with footballers. It's not about tactics or training.

It's all about are they getting picked. Or played in what they think is their best position. That's all they really care about.

If they are they love the manager. If they're not you'll get sulking.

Irwin99

I really wish someone in the media would ask the players-when the inevitable happens- how it feels to have let down yet another manager and the club again?

Jose was nasty to them, Ole was too soft, Ralf was too direct, Erik had no people skills.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Issue is he’s brought in some dire players to add to the dead weight.
Let's review:

Eriksen on a free, my hunch is this is as much a club decision as an ETH target. If he is not wanted he'll likely go for enough money to make up any subsidised wages if required. And I don't doubt there will be takers.

Casemiro, from what's been said, a club decision, we don't know really if his legs are gone or if he can get back to last season's form, but with Saudi eyeing household names I suspect we'd get a decent price for him and no need to subsidise the wages.

Malacia, a fairly decent squad player with plenty of development left. Paid very little, should be able to break even (or slightly better, a la James).

Martinez, overpaid given we didn't go in early enough, but he'd not cost less than what we paid now. A very good player with commensurate mentality.

Mount, definitely overpaid given his contractual situation. Doubted this transfer from the start but I do think he's a good player. Whether we'll find a proper role for him is another matter. We also gave him a silly contract (and the #7, no pressure). Jury is out, though very early days.

Hojlund, overpaid given our publicly desperate situation but I suspect most if not all supporters have taken to him and the calmer heads will know it will take him 1-2 years to really get going given his age and limited experience. No question about the mentality either, top class.

Antony, the big one. Massively overpaid. He works hard, but his limitations are very well documented. Would be a decent squad player had he been bought for 30m, especially if he had room to develop and not having to fit instantly. Won't get half our money back, but he might be phased out into a squad player role and from what I can gather he's not on extreme wages.

Onana, we definitely needed to shift Dave, and Onana had a very good reputation. Who was to know he'd perform the way he has in the CL? I'm still puzzled by his lack of basic keeper skills. Truly mind boggling. Hope he can turn it around, but it's hard to imagine someone his age now acquiring the basics. Like expecting Lukaku to develop his first touch.

The loans are loans. It's a big club being run into the ground for ten years telling their manager to scrape the barrel and make do with it.

In terms of mentality, I think everyone of those players will fight on the pitch, Eriksen obviously a lightweight and offers zero defensively, but they are not dishonest, which unfortunately we see in many of the players already at the club prior to ETH's arrival.

If half the squad is against him - if - I suspect it's the half that would do this club no end of good to get rid off.

AFC NimbleThumb

Not if the replacements are Antony, Mount, Malacia standard.

The squad needs huge turnover, we all know that but EtH’s signings aren’t standouts that point to change of culture or an improvement in talent. He’s added to the deadweight.

croadyman

From @Adisa

Will these leeches give the green light for that to happen is the big question

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I really wish someone in the media would ask the players-when the inevitable happens- how it feels to have let down yet another manager and the club again?

Jose was nasty to them, Ole was too soft, Ralf was too direct, Erik had no people skills.
What about LvG? Too crazy?

sparx99

Obviously, ETH is the manager but coaching a football team of Man Utd's size isn't a one-person job anymore. ETH may lack some charisma and people skills. Dutch people tend to be direct with criticism. However, people like McLaren and the other coaches are also supposed to fill in the gaps. Fergie brought in people like Queiroz amongst others to supplement his own skills.

If McLaren, Ramsay, Van der Gaag, et al also can't help manage the squad personalities then we have a fundamental skill gap in the coaching staff.

always_hoping

I miss the days that United players did their talking on the field. Any bad results they'd learn from it and not allow mistakes that happened to be repeated.

Varun1

Let's review:

Eriksen on a free, my hunch is this is as much a club decision as an ETH target. If he is not wanted he'll likely go for enough money to make up any subsidised wages if required. And I don't doubt there will be takers.

Casemiro, from what's been said, a club decision, we don't know really if his legs are gone or if he can get back to last season's form, but with Saudi eyeing household names I suspect we'd get a decent price for him and no need to subsidise the wages.

Malacia, a fairly decent squad player with plenty of development left. Paid very little, should be able to break even (or slightly better, a la James).

Martinez, overpaid given we didn't go in early enough, but he'd not cost less than what we paid now. A very good player with commensurate mentality.

Mount, definitely overpaid given his contractual situation. Doubted this transfer from the start but I do think he's a good player. Whether we'll find a proper role for him is another matter. We also gave him a silly contract (and the #7, no pressure). Jury is out, though very early days.

Hojlund, overpaid given our publicly desperate situation but I suspect most if not all supporters have taken to him and the calmer heads will know it will take him 1-2 years to really get going given his age and limited experience. No question about the mentality either, top class.

Antony, the big one. Massively overpaid. He works hard, but his limitations are very well documented. Would be a decent squad player had he been bought for 30m, especially if he had room to develop and not having to fit instantly. Won't get half our money back, but he might be phased out into a squad player role and from what I can gather he's not on extreme wages.

Onana, we definitely needed to shift Dave, and Onana had a very good reputation. Who was to know he'd perform the way he has in the CL? I'm still puzzled by his lack of basic keeper skills. Truly mind boggling. Hope he can turn it around, but it's hard to imagine someone his age now acquiring the basics. Like expecting Lukaku to develop his first touch.

The loans are loans. It's a big club being run into the ground for ten years telling their manager to scrape the barrel and make do with it.

In terms of mentality, I think everyone of those players will fight on the pitch, Eriksen obviously a lightweight and offers zero defensively, but they are not dishonest, which unfortunately we see in many of the players already at the club prior to ETH's arrival.

If half the squad is against him - if - I suspect it's the half that would do this club no end of good to get rid off.
I don't understand what you're saying...

AFC NimbleThumb

Obviously, ETH is the manager but coaching a football team of Man Utd's size isn't a one-person job anymore. ETH may lack some charisma and people skills. Dutch people tend to be direct with criticism. However, people like McLaren and the other coaches are also supposed to fill in the gaps. Fergie brought in people like Queiroz amongst others to supplement his own skills.

If McLaren, Ramsay, Van der Gaag, et al also can't help manage the squad personalities then we have a fundamental skill gap in the coaching staff.
This./

Part of the job of our coaches is to improve & maximise what they have at their disposal. This is not a league winning squad, that doesn’t excuse the crap we’re witnessing.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
From @Adisa

Ship the cnuts out. Clear the decks. Every last one of them.
The club and INEOS need to firmly stand with ETH and stop this nonsense once and for all.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Let's review:

Looking at that list, if Antony and Onana had been hits then I doubt we’d ever have a conversation about his transfers.

Antony is his guy though and it’s not just that he hasn’t performed, it’s that he’s so obviously limited.

Onana - fecking hell I don’t think you can blame the manager, no one would have signed a keeper to any top flight club if they could have foreseen the number of howlers the poor lads had

Onerealunited

Let's review:

I agree in every single word that you have written, especially the last part ---- If half the squad is against him - if - I suspect it's the half that would do this club no end of good to get rid off.

Irwin99

What about LvG? Too crazy?
That’s probably a bit too far back and Martial, Rashford and Shaw were all pretty young and no one else we have now was in that squad. You add players like Lindelof, Dalot and McTominay to those guys with Jose and then AWB, Maguire and Bruno with Ole and you have a squad that’s been together a fair while and not seen a lot of success (seen a fair few managers though and another coming soon)

OleGunnar20

Let's review:

Good summary. I think ETH is a good coach personally and still back him.

Even if I didn't however, I'd rather see 70% of this squad shipped out if only to make the point that the manager is boss. This player power shite has to end.

JediSith

Official club statement should go
“The manager maintains our full support. The club is aware and alarmed that some players are unhappy that they are training too much. The manager will be given our full support to remove any player who is unwilling to train to the standards required to compete at the highest level “

Then in private. Ask ETH who the players are that are unhappy with training. Expel them to the sancho club. Get rid in the winter/summer. Even if ETH isn’t the guy to take us forward, it’ll be doing the next manager a huge favour.

Onerealunited

Lindelöf
Van de Beek
Sancho
Martial

Just 4 of many players in the team who either dont have the quality or the mentality to play for a team that is aiming for top four in PL. With players like these what quality or hunger do you really expect from any new coach in the longterm?

Onerealunited

Official club statement should go
“The manager maintains our full support. The club is aware and alarmed that some players are unhappy that they are training too much. The manager will be given our full support to remove any player who is unwilling to train to the standards required to compete at the highest level “

Then in private. Ask ETH who the players are that are unhappy with training. Expel them to the sancho club. Get rid in the winter/summer. Even if ETH isn’t the guy to take us forward, it’ll be doing the next manager a huge favour.
100% this. wrote something similar in anotehr thread. We need to show the players that the MANAGER is in CHARGE and if you don't like it, you move on!