The left-back market…

criticalanalysis

This might be a hot take, but I don't think Carvajal is all that defensively. He was very much protected by peak Modric/Casemiro, who could ultimate engines that would cover for Carvajal. nowadays he is covered by engines like Tchouameni, Bellingham and Rodrygo (who surprisingly works super hard) so he's rarely exposed.

Alves, Alba and Marcelo do not belong in the same line of quality as Walker. Walker could legitimately be a top class defender on his own merits even without his attacking abilities, such is his physicality. Walker can also play CB due to those qualities. Alves and Alba cannot.

Hakimi is hard to tell because he plays in such a dominant team in their respective leagues.
Yeah that's fine, I didn't really put that much thought on it and agree on Walker as an individual defender. My feeling is that the 1s and 2s are generally good enough to be able to work on their own and of course in the systems they play without needing too much 'cover' in their orthodox roles. The point was more on where does Frimpong belong potentially on this list. You may not rate Carvajal but if left exposed, I think he does a serviceable job as a RB with his defensive nous. Do you think Frimpong offers the same 'stability' there defensively? I fear that he's closer to Cancelo/Alexander Arnold and I don't mean the really bad version of them but the 'not quite good enough' to ignore parts. City and now it seems Barca are looking to move Cancelo on and Liverpool may have to rethink how they can manage Alexander Arnold's role.

Alves and Alba were not shabby defensively but obviously played in elite teams. Hakimi is a pure physical specimen (height and speed) and again I think is quite serviceable.

Frimpong doesn't have the height/size, perhaps not the defensive nous and again perhaps won't be playing in as dominant teams as the ones play in above. Of course I may be overthinking it but I think the questions asked are more legit compared to the majority of your original list of full backs.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Maatsen not getting picked for the Euros makes him an even better shout. Can come and integrate with the squad earlier.

Flykicking by B Gunn

Supports
Ipswich
What about Leif Davis from Ipswich? 18 assists in the championship.
I have seen on here speculation on Lief Davis's contract.
He earnt 10k/week in League 1.
15k in the championship and no doubt is on a lot more now.
His assists come from a lot of forward play which inevitably means that holes are left behind him. However he is also a dead ball taker especially all corners. He must cover a fabulous distance each match. A whole hearted player that has been given his chance to make a big impact and has taken it with both hands.

lex talionis

The moment United inquire into a footballer, the market price for that player triples.

didz

Thought he was quite good vs us - I think he played as LW that day though. Good offensively. Don’t have a clue how he is when we don’t have the ball.
He's been awful every time I've seen him, bar the two games against us. I know he's young, but if Bournemouth want a king's ransom for him they're cracked.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I like the names being thrown around: Robinson, Kerkez, Leif Davis, Doughty etc. - young, athletic, technically good and can really push Shaw/even start if he’s injured. Obviously no idea who the club will end up going after and which selling club will make it “easy” for us and be reasonable (Luton seems the obviously choice but Doughty I think also played LWB for them, didn’t he?).

Don’t think Fulham, Bournemouth or even Ipswich will put a reasonable price on them. They probably don’t need to sell and unless there’s any release clauses involved…

Munkehboi

I have seen on here speculation on Lief Davis's contract.
He earnt 10k/week in League 1.
15k in the championship and no doubt is on a lot more now.
His assists come from a lot of forward play which inevitably means that holes are left behind him. However he is also a dead ball taker especially all corners. He must cover a fabulous distance each match. A whole hearted player that has been given his chance to make a big impact and has taken it with both hands.
Very much so. Leif Davis only works because Ipswich play the double pivot where the left side of that midfield fills in for him when he gets forward and Ipswich loses the ball. If we play one CDM then I think we will be vulnerable on that left side. He is also Ipswich dead ball taker and they have scored a lot of goals from set pieces this season. Will he our dedicated corner taker for us?

Baneofthegame

Very much so. Leif Davis only works because Ipswich play the double pivot where the left side of that midfield fills in for him when he gets forward and Ipswich loses the ball. If we play one CDM then I think we will be vulnerable on that left side. He is also Ipswich dead ball taker and they have scored a lot of goals from set pieces this season. Will he our dedicated corner taker for us?
Shaw takes corners for us, so I don’t see why he couldn’t take our set pieces.