The left-back market…

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
My brain reading the thread title as "The left black market".

JE-365

Hato played 10x as left back and 36x as centre back. If he comes here, he will provide cover for both positions LCB and LB.

davidmichael

Only seen YouTube clips of Locko but liked what I saw, him or Gutierrez for me as they both fit the right profile and both £30 million and under plus with Amass coming through too we’d potentially have left back sorted for years to come.

aeh1991

Wolves need to sell for PSR so you could get him for a decent price.
He'd still be the most expensive out of the candidates (EPL fee, contract until 2026+1, Wolves generally not selling their players for cheap). Besides he can't defend that well and has played a lot as a LM. For me, it makes much more sense to go for a cheaper option.

I highly rate Locko and think he'd adapt to the PL pretty well (also has no known injury records so far).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He'd still be the most expensive out of the candidates (EPL fee, contract until 2026+1, Wolves generally not selling their players for cheap). Besides he can't defend that well and has played a lot as a LM. For me, it makes much more sense to go for a cheaper option.

I highly rate Locko and think he'd adapt to the PL pretty well (also has no known injury records so far).
That's fair enough and I agree it's probably best trying to get a cheaper LB and using the money to fix the CM instead.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Wolves need to sell for PSR so you could get him for a decent price.
I thought that as well but despite losing 67 million this year and 46 the year before that, lots of people like the Athletic and the Telegraph are reporting that they don't have an issue with PSR and don't need to sell, though if Neto goes for a decent price it will help O'Neill refresh some of the squad.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I thought that as well but despite losing 67 million this year and 46 the year before that, lots of people like the Athletic and the Telegraph are reporting that they don't have an issue with PSR and don't need to sell, though if Neto goes for a decent price it will help O'Neill refresh some of the squad.
Ah I misread the article regarding Neto. :D More a case of they basically need to sell if they want a rebuild.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Makes you think Malacia might not play again. Otherwise it doesn't seem like an urgent area to fix.

I like Ait-Nouri though.

Bwuk

Makes you think Malacia might not play again. Otherwise it doesn't seem like an urgent area to fix.

I like Ait-Nouri though.
Neither him or Shaw can be relied upon at all. We need a starter.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

I like Ait-Nouri though.
He's been out a full season and broken down previously in his rehab. We can't go into the season relying on him to be fit, he could do without that pressure too.

davidmichael

I like Ait-Nouri though.
If Malacia is so injury prone already at his age it’s only going to get worse, he’s been out a whole season already when he was meant to be back at Christmas so I think it’s better to just come to a mutual termination with Malacia then bring in Locko or Gutierrez and promote Amass which along with Shaw when he’s fit is a great group.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We'll never know the truth of it, but I had heard that the Medical team have really fecked up the lad's knee and his rehab.
He has had 3 operations when he had originally "only suffered a knock"

But 15 appearances between Malacia & Shaw across a whole season is a shocking stat, something drastic needs to happen.

GledTheRed

If Malacia is so injury prone already at his age it’s only going to get worse, he’s been out a whole season already when he was meant to be back at Christmas so I think it’s better to just come to a mutual termination with Malacia then bring in Locko or Gutierrez and promote Amass which along with Shaw when he’s fit is a great group.
Mutual termination?

TMS

With Dalot being a more than capable LB why don't we just go for someone like Frimpong to upgrade at RB and move Dalot over?

Overhaul FC

Aina at Forest has one year left on his contract now. He had a great African Nations Cup and a good season at Forest.

Good strength, pace and on the ball ability. I'd take him over Shaw and Malacia.

userman

Yes mate, he’s been out over a year and nowhere near recovery yet so seeing as he cost us so little I’d terminate his contract as the days of us ‘preserving value’ are surely over.
But what's the point in terminating his contract? And why would he agree to a mutual termination? It will only represent a negative effect on both our cash-flow as we would have to pay him the remainder of his contract as well as us having to take a loss on his book-value, literally offers us zero benefits financially, in fact it will hamper us in the short term.

El-Manos

With Dalot being a more than capable LB why don't we just go for someone like Frimpong to upgrade at RB and move Dalot over?
Because his best position is still RB. Would frimping come here ? Leverkussen are in the champions league.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes mate, he’s been out over a year and nowhere near recovery yet so seeing as he cost us so little I’d terminate his contract as the days of us ‘preserving value’ are surely over.
That would be a classy move by the club. Yeah mate you’re injured and we can’t be having that. Out you go

davidmichael

But what's the point in terminating his contract? And why would he agree to a mutual termination? It will only represent a negative effect on both our cash-flow as we would have to pay him the remainder of his contract as well as us having to take a loss on his book-value, literally offers us zero benefits financially, in fact it will hamper us in the short term.
What value does Malacia have after a whole year out ? Would you rather pay him £3.5 million a year to do nothing ? At 24 years old he’s managed 30 something games in 2 seasons and this is his third long term injury of his career, I’d much rather we released him if he agreed and he could rebuild his career elsewhere as the days of us carrying passengers needs to end.

Pickle85

What value does Malacia have after a whole year out ? Would you rather pay him £3.5 million a year to do nothing ? At 24 years old he’s managed 30 something games in 2 seasons and this is his third long term injury of his career, I’d much rather we released him if he agreed and he could rebuild his career elsewhere as the days of us carrying passengers needs to end.
Do you think malacia would agree to waive the money he's owed and mutually terminate the contract?!

userman

Well it’s likely less detrimental to pay him 3,5m a year rather than 7m straight up on top having to take a hit on his book value, so there’s that. Why would
The obviously best outcome is to loan him out to let him rebuild and then sell/play him the 25/26-season.

And it’s a bit shitty move to try to release a player on contract when he’s injured. Why would he accept anything less as a severance than what he is entitled to?

Brophs

The One and Only

I like Ait-Nouri though.
I suspect Shaw may play more games in central defence than full back over the next few seasons, too. You wonder if he’s physically resilient for full back any more.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Rayan ait Nouri by far is the most outstanding candidate. The guy is a baller.

Bojan Djordjic

It's probably a bad idea because Madrid would rinse us in terms of a fee like with Casemiro and the player might be less motivated as it seems like he doesn't want to leave, but if Davies goes to Madrid, then they might want to sell Mendy with one year left on his deal. If the fee was say 20M, it would make sense. If it's 30M or more, I'd say nah. He's very boring and not good going forward, but tough and smart defensively. If we love Amass and just need to buy 2-3 years it makes sense, though most likely INEOS will want a younger player. But if this was last year, I'd bet on Mendy for 30M as he tearfully leaves Madrid and doesn't want to be here.
I'd swerve Mendy. Some really serious allegations circulating about him from a French journalist regarding being seriously violent with a woman in a nightclub. There's been too much toxicity in the club around this stuff and we don't need to exacerbate it.

Bojan Djordjic

I like Ait-Nouri though.
Malacia is nowhere near good enough. He can play build up but is really suspect positionally, gets caught in posession and for pace and offers zero attacking threat.

NoPace

I'd swerve Mendy. Some really serious allegations circulating about him from a French journalist regarding being seriously violent with a woman in a nightclub. There's been too much toxicity in the club around this stuff and we don't need to exacerbate it.
Ah, I didn't know that.

I wonder if there's another solid LB available for 15-20M in Ligue 1 who is just too boring to get a big move (like Mendy surprisingly wasn't). The French defensive ranks are so stocked that maybe there's a solution here among guys who would go for like 15-20M and are starting in Ligue 1 at aged 22-24 (there's a whole whack of them on page 2 under French defenders on Transfermarkt that I've never seen or seen once) but aren't the types that say Bayern or City are looking to buy.

davidmichael

Ah, I didn't know that.

I wonder if there's another solid LB available for 15-20M in Ligue 1 who is just too boring to get a big move (like Mendy surprisingly wasn't). The French defensive ranks are so stocked that maybe there's a solution here among guys who would go for like 15-20M and are starting in Ligue 1 at aged 22-24 (there's a whole whack of them on page 2 under French defenders on Transfermarkt that I've never seen or seen once) but aren't the types that say Bayern or City are looking to buy.
Locko at Brest is basically everything you’ve just said, for me it’s him or Gutierrez then promote Amass and manage Shaw far better with genuine competition around him which always seems to motivate him to be at his best.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Ah, I didn't know that.

Truffert would probably fall in the bracket. Merlin is another one, but would probably be more expensive.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If Berrada was still at city they would be going for Alphonso Davies the minute Real dropped out. I wonder how we will bridge the gap signing project players. Our added knowledge and reach in the French league through Nice should be interesting

Bwuk

If Berrada was still at city they would be going for Alphonso Davies the minute Real dropped out. I wonder how we will bridge the gap signing project players. Our added knowledge and reach in the French league through Nice should be interesting
Id love Davies here but I imagine he stays another year at Bayern and goes on a free.